• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... ouch. Sympathies =[ I know it may be a long shot, but I hope they find their way back to you
Thanks and yea I really hope so..

What a cruel world we live in, where did you store it? Any chance of complaining or filing a report anywhere?... Or find who it was by yourself and "Settle it in Smash!"

It was in my backpack the last time I used it, and I went to the college lost and found and it wasn't there. Yea, I hope someone does bring it back to college so I can get it back :[

I remember a long time ago in middle school my gamebot advance got stolen at lunch because I left my backpack behind the handball court with my group of friends, so the next day I did the same thing and just waited to see of the culprit would come again. He actually did and I caught him, he returned all the stuff he stolen from me and other people, it was pretty cool.

StayDead

Katarina_FE13_DLC_Artwork.jpg

Oh my.

RomanceDawn

How do capture cards work? I plan on getting a little more competitive than I used to be and want to record some of my matches. Can the same device be used for my 3DS and Wii U?

Can we talk about such devices here?

backlot

How do capture cards work? I plan on getting a little more competitive than I used to be and want to record some of my matches. Can the same device be used for my 3DS and Wii U?

To capture from a 3DS you have to install a third party capture device on your system. It won't work on a Wii U.

For the 3DS, there is no way to record footage outside of DIY tech. You can buy custom made 3DS systems to record footage though. For Wii U, an external capture card should work. Now HDMI external cards are able to be bought.
So unless you want to pay big cash, I suggest not bothering with a 3DS capture device.

I would do eshop but i need my physical
I want a physical copy, but I want zero downtime to play more. I got off work on the 2nd, so I am going to play it at 12:10 AM.

I would do eshop but i need my physical

I'm so done with physical at this point that I almost pre-ordered the $100 Wii U bundle (you know, the one with the Smash controller and GC adapter for the Wii U) before I remembered that this wouldn't get me the digital version. So I'll just pay out the extra $10 and buy all the stuff individually.

I've had a flawless streak against Dark Pit. Low tier confirmed.

Is Dark Pit just kinda like Sakurai's Mary Sue?

I've checked out JoeInky's custom moves post about him... I never really played Pit but there doesn't seem to be much to Dark Pit that necessitated a character slot rather than an alt costume. I know it's obnoxious to talk about "wastes of slots", and I don't mean it like that. Oh well, guess I'll know for sure next Friday!

Tenck

You guys wouldn't believe how awesome it is to have Smash on at any time you want without hunting down the cartridge. Just right now I finished a match of Mario Golf, and booted Smash.

Then proceeded to spam Little Mac for the easy wins :D

Is Dark Pit just kinda like Sakurai's Mary Sue?

I've checked out JoeInky's custom moves post about him... I never really played Pit but there doesn't seem to be much to Dark Pit that necessitated a character slot rather than an alt costume. I know it's obnoxious to talk about "wastes of slots", and I don't mean it like that. Oh well, guess I'll know for sure next Friday!

He's just a slower regular pit, who hits a bit harder. He didn't need his own slot.

-Horizon-

You guys wouldn't believe how awesome it is to have Smash on at any time you want without hunting down the cartridge. Just right now I finished a match of Mario Golf, and booted Smash.

Then proceeded to spam Little Mac for the easy wins :D

But I want to feel and smell the cartridge and game case D:

I'm gonna be lazy and buy the digital version, had it been like destiny and unlock at 3 am est/ 12am pst I would have bought physical
The digital hype got me
By lazy I mean not going out at midnight since it's cold and I'd rather be home lol

I plan on buying that best buy streaming device since it'll be cheap by then I hope, doesn't work with systems

Dragoshi1

I can't afford a capture card, so all I do is try to set up a video camera as best as I can record my matches that way.

Crude and old-school, but we can't all be rich as hell youtubers.

DaBoss

What do you guys think the chances are Nintendo will put it up on the eShop an hour or a few hours earlier than midnight ET? They did that for the Japanese release.

Only thing keeping me from committing 100% to digital at this point is the possibility of Datel making a Powersaves code that unlocks all the custom moves for you.

I'll probably go digital anyways though.

Tenck

What do you guys think the chances are Nintendo will put it up on the eShop an hour or a few hours earlier than midnight ET? They did that for the Japanese release.

It was like 2 hours earlier on eShop if I remember correctly. I feel like there will be a good chance of it releasing early.

Honestly though, I don't remember having to wait for any releases on the eShop at midnight.

I'm so done with physical at this point that I almost pre-ordered the $100 Wii U bundle (you know, the one with the Smash controller and GC adapter for the Wii U) before I remembered that this wouldn't get me the digital version. So I'll just pay out the extra $10 and buy all the stuff individually.

I'm torn. I originally was going to get physical but digital is so convenient to always have the game with you.
Thats true!! I like looking at the box though. I need to get over that cause I know the benefits of digital and well worth it.

RiggyRob

I was torn about getting Smash for physical or for digital, I even got a new SD card in case I ever made up my mind to get it digitally.

Then Nintendo UK offered a free T-shirt and sweatband for the physical preorder and I went with that instead.

emb

That sounds like something Nintendo won't do in America. Would be neat though. Maybe I'd be able to watch people play it while waiting in line to pick it up.

Come to think of it, can the demo play with the full game?

JeTmAn81

Anyone know how I'd check to make sure I've got enough room on my SD card to hold Smash? It's the one that came with my XL. I don't have that much digital stuff on it.

Fireblend

Banned
That sounds like something Nintendo won't do in America. Would be neat though. Maybe I'd be able to watch people play it while waiting in line to pick it up.

Come to think of it, can the demo play with the full game?

Pretty sure not, since that would require the demo to have all the other fighters and stages in it (just permanently locked), and that wouldn't make sense due to its size.

Anyone know how I'd check to make sure I've got enough room on my SD card to hold Smash? It's the one that came with my XL. I don't have that much digital stuff on it.

System settings, IIRC.

I'm actually thinking about going digital with this one. Going physical means not only that I'll have to wait possibly 7 more days until I get the game, but also that I'll pay more it.

But the box, oh goddamn, I really like having the boxes of those stuff :(

-Horizon-

Go to your settings and the storage option to see how many blocks (lol) you have left. You need like 9000 something blocks of free space. I forgot the exact amount.

I know digital is more convenient in almost every respect - no cartridge swapping, no driving out to the mall and waiting in line, you can get it as soon as it drops - but I still like physical games, and I'll be going physical for Smash. I like the box art, I like having the manual
as if manuals these days are worth a damn
and I just like the feeling of physically holding the game. It's the same reason I still vastly prefer CDs and books to digital albums and ebooks.

J@hranimo

Banned
I think I'm going to stick with physical. I thought about digital for a while now, but I already have $25 down at Gamestop so I might as well pay it off and get it then. Also I don't want to have to depend on Nintendo and their strange system of digital attached to console, not account just in case the worst happens.

emb

I think Smash says it requires 2.1 GB, but actually only takes like 1.2 or something? Don't know the exact numbers.

But if you got a 4GB card with your XL, and haven't downloaded much, you're probably fine. (By 'not that much digital stuff' I assume no full game downloads?)

Revven

I'm only going physical for the 3DS version because I'm basically getting the game for $5 (all dat Amazon credit from trading in college books). Otherwise, if I didn't have that credit I would have probably gotten it digitally on 3DS and physically on the Wii U.

But now I'm getting both physically (the Wii U physically because of the bundle).

emb

I know digital is more convenient in almost every respect - no cartridge swapping, no driving out to the mall and waiting in line, you can get it as soon as it drops - but I still like physical games, and I'll be going physical for Smash. I like the box art, I like having the manual
as if manuals these days are worth a damn
and I just like the feeling of physically holding the game. It's the same reason I still vastly prefer CDs and books to digital albums and ebooks.
Same. Forever and always.

But I also find it more convenient to be able to easily swap the game to a new 3DS without transferring all the free digital games Nintendo's given me. If I'm carrying my handheld out to crowded, busy Smash-fests/tournaments, especially if I'm also playing other Smash games, I don't want to have anything tied up in my 3DS that isn't easily replaceable. I'll use the 2DS for that. But at the same time, I'll want to play on my 3D 3DS sometimes, or even on the XL.

zroid

Banned
Thing is I'm not really sure how much I'll be playing the 3DS version after the Wii U version is released, so I'm going to stick with physical for now. If after a few months I still find the game compelling, then I might trade in my physical 3DS copy and grab it off the eShop.

Durden77

Digital for 3DS and physical for Wii U. As much as I love my boxes, the amount of game cartridges I have for a portable system is starting to get a bit annoying. Plus this is one of those games I know I'm gonna want access to whenever I need it.

georly

Thing is I'm not really sure how much I'll be playing the 3DS version after the Wii U version is released, so I'm going to stick with physical for now. If after a few months I still find the game compelling, then I might trade in my physical 3DS copy and grab it off the eShop.

Same. I plan on 100% completing the 3DS version (all challenges and trophies), so i'll definitely do that even if Wii U comes out before I finish. After 100%, though, it'll probably be strictly for 'on the go' play w/ friends.

Fireblend

Banned
If I could drive to the nearest store at midnight and buy a physical copy of the game for $40, I'd be right there with #teamPhysical, but being in Costa Rica, the convenience of buying digital is too big. I don't want to either wait ~10 days for my copy to arrive from Amazon, or have to pay $60 for a copy in a local store :(

I'll go physical for the Wii U version though!

georly

Survivor of the Sheikahs, Sheik

BjWH5Z5.jpg

Time passes, people move... Like a river's flow, it never ends...

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 1 (Needle Storm)
"Throw needles forward if on the ground or diagonally down if in the air. Can be charged."

dKjrH6a.jpg
8itjlWw.jpg

The needles you know from brawl. You can charge up a handful of them and then unleash with mild damage and interrupt. The projectiles are really tiny, you can kinda see one in the 2nd picture.

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 2 (Penetrating Needles)
"Throw needles that go through enemies. You can only throw up to three at a time."

lWMbLdi.jpg
NzMPY6I.jpg

You can only charge 3, so they charge much quicker. Lets you spam needles a bit more, but the penetrating portion of them is really only helpful in FFA.

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 3 (Paralyzing Needle)
"Throw needles that deal slightly less damage but paralyze opponents. Charges more slowly."

7UNy0T4.jpg
Cm8ucel.jpg

Literally only does 1 percent, you can not charge it, and has a fair amount of startup before it happens. It paralyzes them for a little less than a second, so it's really only good to follow up with a throw if they're close. MAYBE a dash attack. Not enough time for anything else. Maybe a better player can find better use for it.

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 1 (Burst Grenade)
"Throw a stealthy grenade that pulls opponents in before exploding."

ByfYZHF.jpg
0do6z44.jpg
C0GKR4f.jpg

The grenade we've all seen. The cyclone effect is minor, and the damage is ok.

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 2 (Gravity Grenade)
"Has a smaller explosion radius, but foes hit by the burst will be knocked toward you."

mKR81nW.jpg

My favorite one, because it pulls enemies toward you. The downside is that it has a pretty set distance at which it can be thrown. The distance in the screen is the MINIMUM distance it can be thrown, but it doesn't go TOO much further. If you can get good at spacing this, it'll be really useful!

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 3 (Skimming Grenade)
"Throw a small, bouncing grenade. The longer it takes to explode, the less damage it deals."

ZHjNW15.jpg
hoR3EHX.jpg

This one is interesting, mainly because it can be thrown the farthest. The farther you throw it, though, the less damage it does. It can basically go the full length of battlefield.

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 1 (Vanish)
" Throw a bomb to the ground and warp in any direction. Deals some damage."

HOB0lrt.jpg

Like zelda's teleport, but faster and the distance it covers is shorter. It does damage at the beginning and when she reappears. Not as much damage and knockback as zelda's teleport, I don't think.

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 2 (Gale)
"An ultra-swift teleport. No attacking ability at all, but makes up for it in sheer speed."

NJWQLpB.jpg

Just a fast teleport that does no damage. Unfortunately, if you teleport onto the ground, you have quite a fair amount of landing lag, so it's not useful as a form of ground mobility. Not sure what to say about it, I don't think it's that useful.

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 3 (Abyss)
"A stealthy leap that has a meteor effect on any opponents in its path."

sVbBxRb.jpg

Really really weird. You become that top right shiny thing (bottom left is starting point). It moves slowly, but anything you touch gets hit with a meteor effect. Can't really be used that often as a meteor off stage, though, because you're left in the vulnerable 'falling' state that you can't recover from.

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 1 (Bouncing Fish)
"Flip through the air and strike foes with your heel. If you land the kick, you bounce back."

hrr7qgT.jpg
50MrwVd.jpg

Kinda weird, but neat. You do a ZSS style flip, and if your foot connects, you do decent damage and knockback. You bounce AWAY from your enemy, and you can press B again to do another mid-air kick. 1v1, that second kick will never (afaik) connect with the same player.

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 2 (Jellyfish)
"Flip higher and slam downward with your heel. Land the kick to bounce straight up."

TWpf2LV.jpg
Um2Gt6n.jpg

Like the normal bouncing fish, but you jump higher. Much much harder to hit with, but if you land it, the second follow-up kick will always hit, if you use it. Does more damage and knockback, as far as I could tell.

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 3 (Pisces)
"Flip lower and press the button again to kick. Land the kick to bounce forward."

uILshjR.jpg
sV8M5Yd.jpg
Kk4DQwe.jpg

My favorite of the three. This one basically dashes horizontally and can be used to go THROUGH the enemy. If you don't use B again, it has no follow-up kick and next-to-no landing lag, so it can be used for mobility. If you use B again, it can hit and will knock the opponent in the direction you came from (so it's hard to use to KO, because they usually have to go the length of the stage, first). Can KO at over 150% usually.

Final Thoughts

I don't really care for any of the needle specials, so I'd probably just stick with the originals. Same with the vanish. I like the gravity grenades and pisces, though, as they allow you to control space a bit better. Pisces is a great additional mobility option.

My loadout is probably 1213.

random25

I'm gonna go physical for both, simply because my slow internet will take it forever to download even the 3D version lol. And I already preordered anyway.

georly

I'm only doing physical for 3DS because it means I get it a few days early. I'll probably switch over to digital in the future, and gift my physical to someone (or keep it, like ALBW, where I have both).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Digital for 3DS and physical for Wii U. As much as I love my boxes, the amount of game cartridges I have for a portable system is starting to get a bit annoying. Plus this is one of those games I know I'm gonna want access to whenever I need it.

Who gave you the avatar?

Astral

One week! I'm so excited to spam some Din's Fire. I don't really have time to read thread this long so I'll just ask: What are everyone's impressions? Does the game really have that many unlockable characters? If so that's pretty damn great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom