• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DooD1234

So guys, I have a 16gig SD card on my 3DS that pretty much full. Should I get rid of some games to make room for smash or should I just get a bigger card? Having smash with me at all times will be great to have if I want to randomly battle someone near me with smash. I find having digital copies of the game is great to have on multiplayer focused games.

Quoting because I think people didn't see it at all.

Zubz

Banned
Shiek loses whip.

Simon Belmont confirmed for DLC

Hey, if anyone from Konami gets in as DLC, it's Bomberman Snake.

... With Bomberman getting in next. He already has connections with the other characters, like that time Wario took one of his games!

WarioBlast.jpg

And he, Snake, and even Simon (and Optimus Prime!) have Smash-esque experience anyway in Dream Mix TV, so it's not like he's a stranger to Platform Fighters.

Hatchtag

Banned
Reading the tournament rules for the gamestop smash 3DS tournament:

Characters & Character Customization
Any character from the full roster of characters is permitted.
Customized characters are also allowed with the following parameters:
Mii characters may only represent the likeness of the Tournament participant using that Mii character.
Each player’s customized character and alternate customization must be finalized and approved prior to the start of the Tournament, and customization options must be disclosed to Nintendo and to other participants prior to the start of the Tournament.
Customization options may not be adjusted after the Tournament begins.
Equipment with the following Bonus Effects are not permitted:
Vampire: Life Stealing
Shield Healer: Shield restores health
Escape Artist: Shield Counter
Equipment that gives players an item when entering a battle: Star Rod, Lip’s Stick, Nintendo Scope, Ray Gun, Fire Flower, Beam Sword, Home Run Bat, Bomb-Omb, Mr. Saturn
Auto-Healer: Auto-Heal
Pity Final Smasher: Final Smash After Respawning
Final Smash Healer: Healing Smash Ball
Double Final Smasher: Double Final Smash
Sudden Death Gambler: Lucky Sudden Death

All customized Special Moves are allowed, including all Mii Fighters and their respective customizable Special Moves
Players may not switch to different characters (E.g. Mario to Peach) during the Tournament or change character customization options. However, during the final set of matches, a player that has lost the previous match may switch to their alternate custom version of their chosen character one time.
Players must stick with only one version of their customized character until the final set of matches.

Even nintendo thinks equipment is OP

That doesn't even have critical hits, the most OP equipment of all.

Reading the tournament rules for the gamestop smash 3DS tournament:

Characters & Character Customization
Any character from the full roster of characters is permitted.
Customized characters are also allowed with the following parameters:
Mii characters may only represent the likeness of the Tournament participant using that Mii character.
Each player’s customized character and alternate customization must be finalized and approved prior to the start of the Tournament, and customization options must be disclosed to Nintendo and to other participants prior to the start of the Tournament.
Customization options may not be adjusted after the Tournament begins.
Equipment that gives players an item when entering a battle: Star Rod, Lip’s Stick, Nintendo Scope, Ray Gun, Fire Flower, Beam Sword, Home Run Bat, Bomb-Omb, Mr. Saturn

All customized Special Moves are allowed, including all Mii Fighters and their respective customizable Special Moves
Players may not switch to different characters (E.g. Mario to Peach) during the Tournament or change character customization options. However, during the final set of matches, a player that has lost the previous match may switch to their alternate custom version of their chosen character one time.
Players must stick with only one version of their customized character until the final set of matches.

where did you find this?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Those rules are so ridiculous. Equipment is completely broken, whoever gets lucky and gets the best stuff is going to inherently have a huge advantage. And no changing characters is like, wat.

Next they are going to add a rule saying you can't attack the opponent if they are off stage, you have to let them try recovery.
Yeah, I'm referencing that picture.

Durden77

:3

Just keep in mind that my first instinct was to make it say "Metal Gear Solid is a terrible series," but I thought that was a little too mean.

Also someone (forgot who) suggested that I give you a Solid Snake My Little Pony avatar like this:

And I didn't.

So it could've been worse!

*sigh* I guess If you have to shoot one of us, shoot me, not the series.

Lol wtf at that Snake pony. You're still evil though.

It makes it sound like you bring your own game, no? How else can you use custom characters/miis?

I think they linked the wrong thing in the twitter account. According to Nintendo's tweet, they are hosting a demo of Smash at Gamestop for 100 stores on 9/27. The tournament is only in 15 stores on October 4th.

SuperSah

Banned

georly

I think they linked the wrong thing in the twitter account. According to Nintendo's tweet, they are hosting a demo of Smash at Gamestop for 100 stores on 9/27. The tournament is only in 15 stores on October 4th.

Oh, yes. The link is for the gamestop tournament, not the demo, despite the tweet saying that.

Yeah, I bet it's starting roster w/ starting stages. It's easier to just throw the full game into demo units, though.

It makes it sound like you bring your own game, no? How else can you use custom characters/miis?

You can only use characters from the initial roster for the local tournaments, and it seems customization is off cause it doesn't mention it (also the use of "a level playing field").

emb

Players may bring and use their own personal Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS game, complete with their own custom save data if they so choose (each, a “Personal Game”).
Nintendo will also provide a Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS game with official tournament save data including customization options (the “Nintendo Game”) to any player who does not have their own game or who chooses to use the Nintendo Game instead.
Prior to the start of the tournament and livestream, all players must create on the Nintendo Game the customized version of the character they plan to use and an alternate customized version of the same character.
In any round of the tournament, any player in that round may choose to require that round of the tournament be played on the Nintendo Game, rather than on the Personal Games.
Looks like they have pre-unlocked data for nationals?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Eurobros, did Nintendo crack down on early releases in Europe after XY debacle? I know this is possibly the reason why ORAS is coming out a week later, but did anything change since then? I had not bought Nintendo game day one since SM3DW and I want to know if I can expect being able to pick up SSB on Wednesday. Anyone knows anything in that regard?

I think the real reason we are getting OR/AS a week later is because Smash Bros Wii U might being hitting on the 21st so Nintendo of Europe just pushed Pokémon a week later.

But if you want Smash Bros 3DS on Wednesday try Shopto they send out copies a few days before release dates.

Amazon UK is pretty good at day one delivery, so not worrying here.

Yep, Amazon UK is amazing and just continues to get better and better.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Prize for this tournament look nice.

Prizing
Each Local Tournament winner will receive
a Nintendo 3DS XL system (ARV $200);
a Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS game ($40);
two (2) round-trip coach class airline tickets from a major U.S. commercial airport near the winner’s home to the metro New York area for winner and a guest (the “Travel Guest”) (however, at Nintendo’s discretion, if the winner lives within reasonable driving distance of New York City, he or she may receive round-trip ground transportation to New York City in lieu of the airline tickets) (ARV $1,450);
two (2) nights’ lodging in a hotel chosen by Nintendo in the New York metropolitan area for winner and the Travel Guest (one standard room, double occupancy) (however, at Nintendo’s discretion, if the winner lives in the New York City metro area, he or she may receive round-trip ground transportation to the National Tournament in lieu of the hotel accommodations) (ARV $800); and
one (1) Visa gift card for $250 (ARV $250).

Formless

Hey, if anyone from Konami gets in as DLC, it's Bomberman Snake.

... With Bomberman getting in next. He already has connections with the other characters, like that time Wario took one of his games!

WarioBlast.jpg

And he, Snake, and even Simon (and Optimus Prime!) have Smash-esque experience anyway in Dream Mix TV, so it's not like he's a stranger to Platform Fighters.

Dat music

Crayolan

Prize for this tournament look nice.

The rules sound terrible though. Starts out with FFA's and has items on.

Not like there's one in DC anyway, so it makes no difference for me.

Edit: And they don't even give the locations for the playable demo, despite it being 2 days away.

Myn

Does anyone know if you're able to play the With Anyone mode online, but have a friend with you as well, or is it random free-for-alls? I want to know if I'm able to 2v2 with a friend against another random team. That would be nice.

georly

Does anyone know if you're able to play the With Anyone mode online, but have a friend with you as well, or is it random free-for-alls? I want to know if I'm able to 2v2 with a friend against another random team. That would be nice.

Nope :( All friends or no friends are you only options :(

Myn

Nope :( All friends or no friends are you only options :(

Awwwwwwwww. Team battle against randoms would be neat but that would require a lot more organization amongst peers than simply connecting online and playing so I understand why they didn't make that a feature.

CassSept

I think the real reason we are getting OR/AS a week later is because Smash Bros Wii U might being hitting on the 21st so Nintendo of Europe just pushed Pokémon a week later.

But if you want Smash Bros 3DS on Wednesday try Shopto they send out copies a few days before release dates.

Nah I know where to shop and I guess it can be the same situation as with SM3DW and ALBW last year. I got SM3DW, Pokemon X, WiiU, NSMB2, Skyward Sword, etc all two days early on Wednesday so I got my sources :D Was just wondering if there was any change since last year since it seemed Nintendo was rather unhappy with how we knew everything about X before it even came out officially. Non-NoE European countries are rather... lenient with street dates.

Are those seriously the effects of custom equipment? Holy shit that stuff is broken lmao

georly

Are those seriously the effects of custom equipment? Holy shit that stuff is broken lmao

Yup, custom equipment may as well be 'items on.' Custom moves are pretty good though. Not broken (yet) as far as I can tell.

Apparently you can't tell if your opponent is using custom equipment until the match starts when you're playing online :/ You just gotta trust your friends, I guess.

They're balanced with stat changes and rarity. And some of them only activate a small percentage of the time.

It's an attempt to balance, I suppose, but some of those effects are too good, regardless of stat changes.

Revven

So anyone got a page/link on buffs/debuffs and tier list for the game now?

A character tier list is not possible without match-up data and tournament results (the game is not even out in the US yet).

If you meant an equipment tier list, then I doubt one would exist because of how many of them there are to begin with.

A character tier list is not possible without match-up data and tournament results (the game is not even out in the US yet).

If you meant an equipment tier list, then I doubt one would exist because of how many of them there are to begin with.
Oooh didn't realise equipments will be so abundant would've thought Japanese players compiled a list already lol, will be looking forward to finding out everything with everyone, looks like OT2 for this will be when NA/EU releases =D

jorgejjvr

Yup, custom equipment may as well be 'items on.' Custom moves are pretty good though. Not broken (yet) as far as I can tell.

Apparently you can't tell if your opponent is using custom equipment until the match starts when you're playing online :/ You just gotta trust your friends, I guess.

It's an attempt to balance, I suppose, but some of those effects are too good, regardless of stat changes.
@georly can you at least answer this. How early will you get the game? 2-3 days early? On Wednesday? Etc :) again if you can

Gonna try to attend the Anaheim GameStop tournament. Don't expect to win really, but it'd be loads of fun. Some pretty cool prizes to the victors. I'm impressed, Ninty.

Crayolan

Oooh didn't realise equipments will be so abundant would've thought Japanese players compiled a list already lol, will be looking forward to finding out everything with everyone, looks like OT2 for this will be when NA/EU releases =D

We'll probably hit OT2 late today or early tomorrow. 15 pages can't last for 8 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom