• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

One week! I'm so excited to spam some Din's Fire. I don't really have time to read thread this long so I'll just ask: What are everyone's impressions? Does the game really have that many unlockable characters? If so that's pretty damn great.

12 characters to unlock.

Game is a blast, be excited!

jorgejjvr

I'm only doing physical for 3DS because it means I get it a few days early. I'll probably switch over to digital in the future, and gift my physical to someone (or keep it, like ALBW, where I have both).
Can you tell me which store you are getting it at? I know you have connections, don't need to know about that, but is it sears, target? Etc if you can of course

Man, I just realize that having a physical Smash is going to suck when I have to swap between that and Animal Crossing literally every day. Doing that already got on my nerves when I was playing FE:A, but I'll be playing Smash a lot more than Awakening, so that'll mean more cartridge swapping. The things I put up with for physical games...

Really, I should've gotten AC digitally - but that ship has sailed now. Oh well.

Jawmuncher

It's an effective avatar, but maybe something a little more subtle would have been a better option.

Like this, for instance.

tumblr_m67ow41Vjq1qcfkb7o1_500.png

But rather than rage every time he reads his post. It would be sadness.

You guys convinced me! I'm going digital with this one and physical on the Wii U.

A question: do you guys know the exact price (counting taxes) of the game in the canadian e-shop? I'm planning to add the required ammount before the game launches, and given the huge conversion rate of my country's currency to dollars (I'm brazilian, but I use the canadian e-shop), I don't really want to add more than needed for the game.

Molemitts

Man, I just realize that having a physical Smash is going to suck when I have to swap between that and Animal Crossing literally every day. Doing that already got on my nerves when I was playing FE:A, but I'll be playing Smash a lot more than Awakening, so that'll mean more cartridge swapping. The things I put up with for physical games...

Really, I should've gotten AC digitally - but that ship has sailed now. Oh well.

Am I the only dude who doesn't have any problem with switching games psychically, even on handhelds? It's such a minute issue to me.

Jawmuncher

Am I the only dude who doesn't have any problem with switching games psychically, even on handhelds? It's such a minute issue to me.

I don't mind switching with retail copies either.
The only time I go digital is if the game is only digital, or the sale price is cheaper than a retail copy.

It is not unlike when someone gave me this avatar:

That must have been a period of no fun while posting.

georly

Can you tell me which store you are getting it at? I know you have connections, don't need to know about that, but is it sears, target? Etc if you can of course

Don't want to say because I'd like my friends to keep their jobs. :) This is not a situation where 'i know a sears that usually sells games early.' This is someone working somewhere that will help me get the game early (but not steal it - I am paying for it - they will ring up my game once it's released so that their stock/inventory matches up).

WTF no whip!? ;_; I liked the Castlevania IV whip.

Whip was announced to be gone back in the smash direct. The bomb is much more useful.

You guys convinced me! I'm going digital with this one and physical on the Wii U.

A question: do you guys know the exact price (counting taxes) of the game in the canadian e-shop? I'm planning to add the required ammount before the game launches, and given the huge conversion rate of my country's currency to dollars (I'm brazilian, but I use the canadian e-shop), I don't really want to add more than needed for the game.

There's a function that just adds the exact amount of your purchase to your account. You don't need to worry about transferring ahead of time.

SuperSah

Banned

I have no idea why swapping cards is an issue.

My New Leaf is digital, and Smash will be physical, but still.

Zomba13

Whip was announced to be gone back in the smash direct. The bomb is much more useful.

I completely missed that. I assumed the bomb was the replacement for the Down-B transform. I feel lied to, or at least mislead even if it was by me not paying attention. I really liked the whip. Was a cool unique move that while maybe not the best thing was fun to play about with. I'd rather keep the whip and get rid of the needles.

Molemitts

I don't mind switching with retail copies either.
The only time I go digital is if the game is only digital, or the sale price is cheaper than a retail copy.

Nintendo don't really tend to have great sales on their digital games, tbh. When they do start to go on sale, you get get them, physically, for pretty cheap, elsewhere.

I'm certainly a sucker for Steam sales, though.

Jawmuncher

So what were all the characters with "snake" like influences?

Sheik - Grenades
ZSS - Final Smash
Mii Fighters - Apparently a remote controlled rocket.

Were there others?

Nintendo don't really tend to have great sales on their digital games, tbh. When they do start to go on sale, you get get them, physically, for pretty cheap, elsewhere.

I'm certainly a sucker for Steam sales, though.

Yeah nintendo sale wise a lot of time fail in that regard. Though PSN with PS+ i've gotten more than a few titles cheaper than they have hit at retail or used.

Is it fairly easy to transfer digital copies to a new system?

Yeah, now if you link the games to your NNID. Although be warned that your downloaded save data may be lost, but you can easily access your game collection. I forgot to back up my save data for the digital games when I got my XL.

Oh, it's hardly a great burden - certainly not enough to stop me from getting physical games - but when you're doing it a couple times a day, every single day, it gets old. Especially since I tend to get distracted while I'm doing it. I'll take out both game boxes, set them down, go off to do something else, and forget that I haven't actually swapped games. Or the reverse: I'll switch the games, run off, and when I come back and am ready to play, I'll have forgotten that I've made the swap, so I'll switch games again, then realize what I've done and have to swap cartridges again. You could say, "well, you could try looking at the games when you switch them so you know what you're doing"...and you'd be right. But I often switch games in the dark, so I only have my memory to go on.

I fully realize that these problems are 100% my own creation.

I find it a problem when playing games like Tomodachi Life and Animal Crossing daily since they're meant to be played that often. Have played Tomodachi Life more than Animal Crossing since I got it digitally. For Smash, I would like it everywhere with me.

For me, the issue has far less to do with concern about time wasted just switching one game for another as I don't really play multiple games at a time anyway. For me, it's really about the fact that it mitigates problems I have with organization. And that problem is just that I'm not organized at all. I already had problems before with keeping up with what games were in which cases, and that was before my wife and I had a kid a few years ago. I do own a few physical games, and it's always a painful reminder to me when I want to play one of them why I never buy physical anymore.

Like, on a whim, I wanted to pick back up Luigi's Mansion a couple of months ago. I'll just fire up my 3DS and pick it from the menu like all my other games, right? Wait, crap, I actually bought that game from a physical store like an idiot. All right, found the case and... crap, Kid Icarus Uprising is in here. All right, let me grab that case. Crap, Ghost Recon is in there. I finally found it in the Ghost Recon case.

And this all assumes that I can find the case at all and that my kid hasn't ran off with it or knocked it behind something. I'm just done with it. I became too spoiled by Steam on the PC to ever want to deal with this crap again. And yes, I'm fully aware that if I was more organized, this wouldn't be a problem. But I'm not. Wanna fight about it!?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Don't want to say because I'd like my friends to keep their jobs. :) This is not a situation where 'i know a sears that usually sells games early.' This is someone working somewhere that will help me get the game early (but not steal it - I am paying for it - they will ring up my game once it's released so that their stock/inventory matches up).

Eh, if you really want to see your friends kept their jobs then you shouldn't have mention it in first place or ask to get game early. Well, you see that I have different opinion/stance on that because I have few friends that are working at the stores. I wouldn't dare to ask them to risk their jobs so I can have game few days early since I always felt that it was pretty selfish move if I did that.

The nice thing about a digital game is that if you are in a rush and grab your 3DS, you know that you will not be forgetting the game. I regret buying AC:NL on retail because I never play it because of that. I learned and bought Tomodachi Life digitally. The main issue you get into for digital games is space. For that reason, I tend to buy most Vita games on cart because the memory card is so expensive for them compared to SD for 3DS.

There's a function that just adds the exact amount of your purchase to your account. You don't need to worry about transferring ahead of time.

Yep, I know. I just want to add it ahead of time because the e-shop will probably be very unstable at the time of the launch, so the less things I need to do there, the better :)

JeTmAn81

I usually avoid buying digitally at full price because I like to resell my games, but in the case of Smash I think it's something I'll want to have forever.

DaBoss

Yep, I know. I just want to add it ahead of time because the e-shop will probably be very unstable at the time of the launch, so the less things I need to do there, the better :)
It will likely be $44.99 CAD. And I assume you chose Alberta as your province since that has the cheapest tax (5%). So you would pay 47.24 most likely.

A question regarding the eShop, when you use the "pay the rest of the amount" option, does it automatically buy the game, or are the funds just added and then you can back out of buying the game.

SuperSah

Banned
Been watching Little Mac guides and people seem to forget you can aim his forward smash to be an uppercut, body blow or straight punch.

Guess I'll have to make a bettee guide when I get the game then...

georly

Eh, if you really want to see your friends kept their jobs then you shouldn't have mention it in first place or ask to get game early. Well, you see that I have different opinion/stance on that because I have few friends that are working at the stores. I wouldn't dare to ask them to risk their jobs so I can have game few days early since I always felt that it was pretty selfish move if I did that.

This isn't the first time i've gotten a game early from them. I don't feel like I'm endangering anyone by saying i'm getting the game early, but you're probably right that I shouldn't say anything at all :p

Molemitts

I don't have any psychic powers, so it's pretty hard for me.
Oh my God. How did I miss that typo? lol

Yeah nintendo sale wise a lot of time fail in that regard. Though PSN with PS+ i've gotten more than a few titles cheaper than they have hit at retail or used.

This makes me wonder if Nintendo will ever join in on the PS+ or Game For Gold trend. If they do, I don't think it will be until a looong time in to the future.

Oh, it's hardly a great burden - certainly not enough to stop me from getting physical games - but when you're doing it a couple times a day, every single day, it gets old. Especially since I tend to get distracted while I'm doing it. I'll take out both game boxes, set them down, go off to do something else, and forget that I haven't actually swapped games. Or the reverse: I'll switch the games, run off, and when I come back and am ready to play, I'll have forgotten that I've made the swap, so I'll switch games again, then realize what I've done and have to swap cartridges again. You could say, "well, you could try looking at the games when you switch them so you know what you're doing"...and you'd be right. But I often switch games in the dark, so I only have my memory to go on.

I fully realize that these problems are 100% my own creation.
I find it a problem when playing games like Tomodachi Life and Animal Crossing daily since they're meant to be played that often. Have played Tomodachi Life more than Animal Crossing since I got it digitally. For Smash, I would like it everywhere with me.

I had Animal Crossing and when A Link Between Worlds came out, I was switching between them daily. I just kept them close together in a little Pokeball container for 3DS games, that I got for buying Pokemon X (Which, I think was meant to be a preorder gift, but the kind lady at Game gave it to me anyway.) No problem at all if you find Digital games more convenient, I just don't really mind swapping out games too much.

For me, the issue has far less to do with concern about time wasted just switching one game for another as I don't really play multiple games at a time anyway. For me, it's really about the fact that it mitigates problems I have with organization. And that problem is just that I'm not organized at all. I already had problems before with keeping up with what games were in which cases, and that was before my wife and I had a kid a few years ago. I do own a few physical games, and it's always a painful reminder to me when I want to play one of them why I never buy physical anymore.

Like, on a whim, I wanted to pick back up Luigi's Mansion a couple of months ago. I'll just fire up my 3DS and pick it from the menu like all my other games, right? Wait, crap, I actually bought that game from a physical store like an idiot. All right, found the case and... crap, Kid Icarus Uprising is in here. All right, let me grab that case. Crap, Ghost Recon is in there. I finally found it in the Ghost Recon case.

And this all assumes that I can find the case at all and that my kid hasn't ran off with it or knocked it behind something. I'm just done with it. I became too spoiled by Steam on the PC to ever want to deal with this crap again.

I don't have a huge collection of games, to be honest, and I keep all my DS and 3DS games in one draw, so organization isn't a big problem for me. I can totally understand how it could be. You should really put your games back into the right cases, though. That's a terrible habit.

And yes, I'm fully aware that if I was more organized, this wouldn't be a problem. But I'm not. Wanna fight about it!?
...Something, something, settle it in Smash.

DooD1234

So guys, I have a 16gig SD card on my 3DS that pretty much full. Should I get rid of some games to make room for smash or should I just get a bigger card? Having smash with me at all times will be great to have if I want to randomly battle someone near me with smash. I find having digital copies of the game is great to have on multiplayer focused games.

It will likely be $44.99 CAD. And I assume you chose Alberta as your province since that has the cheapest tax (5%). So you would pay 47.24 most likely.

A question regarding the eShop, when you use the "pay the rest of the amount" option, does it automatically buy the game, or are the funds just added and then you can back out of buying the game.

Thanks! It is Alberta indeed. 47.99 is more expensive than I was expecting, unfortunately :/

IIRC, the funds are added to the account, and then it gives you an option to complete the purchase, but you can stop the purchase (and only have the funds added) as well. I'm not sure, though, given it's been some time since I last did that operation on the e-shop

CassSept

Eurobros, did Nintendo crack down on early releases in Europe after XY debacle? I know this is possibly the reason why ORAS is coming out a week later, but did anything change since then? I had not bought Nintendo game day one since SM3DW and I want to know if I can expect being able to pick up SSB on Wednesday. Anyone knows anything in that regard?

Eurobros, did Nintendo crack down on early releases in Europe after XY debacle? I know this is possibly the reason why ORAS is coming out a week later, but did anything change since then? I had not bought Nintendo game day one since SM3DW and I want to know if I can expect being able to pick up SSB on Wednesday. Anyone knows anything in that regard?

Tried to get sm3dw at this target that was bad at giving games early, no dice.

Could certainly live with that a lot easier.

piccit_you_really_are_a_bad_guy_136_946590295.640x0.png

He really is a bad guy.

:3

Just keep in mind that my first instinct was to make it say "Metal Gear Solid is a terrible series," but I thought that was a little too mean.

Also someone (forgot who) suggested that I give you a Solid Snake My Little Pony avatar like this:

And I didn't.

So it could've been worse!

Got ALBW a day early from ShopTo like every order I make from there. Never had any luck with early releases prior to that anyway, except when I worked at GAME (it was a staff perk, that might have changed now).

georly

You completely miss my point but yeah.

No, I got that point, too. In reality I shouldn't be asking them for this favor, but they don't see it as a huge deal and i'd like smash early. They don't mind though. I wouldn't ask them for it if they weren't comfortable doing it. I also only do it for Zelda/Smash, I never ask for other games early. I could be playing hyrule warriors right now if I wanted to be, but it's not a mainline zelda.

georly

Reading the tournament rules for the gamestop smash 3DS tournament:

Characters & Character Customization
Any character from the full roster of characters is permitted.
Customized characters are also allowed with the following parameters:
Mii characters may only represent the likeness of the Tournament participant using that Mii character.
Each player’s customized character and alternate customization must be finalized and approved prior to the start of the Tournament, and customization options must be disclosed to Nintendo and to other participants prior to the start of the Tournament.
Customization options may not be adjusted after the Tournament begins.
Equipment with the following Bonus Effects are not permitted:
Vampire: Life Stealing
Shield Healer: Shield restores health
Escape Artist: Shield Counter
Equipment that gives players an item when entering a battle: Star Rod, Lip’s Stick, Nintendo Scope, Ray Gun, Fire Flower, Beam Sword, Home Run Bat, Bomb-Omb, Mr. Saturn
Auto-Healer: Auto-Heal
Pity Final Smasher: Final Smash After Respawning
Final Smash Healer: Healing Smash Ball
Double Final Smasher: Double Final Smash
Sudden Death Gambler: Lucky Sudden Death

All customized Special Moves are allowed, including all Mii Fighters and their respective customizable Special Moves
Players may not switch to different characters (E.g. Mario to Peach) during the Tournament or change character customization options. However, during the final set of matches, a player that has lost the previous match may switch to their alternate custom version of their chosen character one time.
Players must stick with only one version of their customized character until the final set of matches.

Even nintendo thinks equipment is OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom