• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never played a racing game before that so well nails the feeling of putting your foot down in 2nd out of a slow corner. In the hatches at least. Haven't progressed to anything quick yet.
The Hennessey Venom will murder you if you put your foot down coming out of a corner in 2nd... But if you feather the throttle oh so lightly, once you catch traction, it's on down the straight.

red731

I'm enjoying the offline tour stuff, but the game is definitely broken right now IMO. Half the menus can't even be accessed and major things they pushed as part of the game experience are completely inaccessible. Guess it depends on how you interpret "broken" though.

Yup, as I said - the essential social portional is fucked right now (hence the greyed out menu). I am not fond of the situation, but the offline "portion" is great on its own though - for me, atleast.

The thing that pisses me off though is the proggress I am making in tour, doesn't yield any FAME points toward club that I can't even create/join.

I am interptetting "broken" as a word to describe the game which has game breaking bugs.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Just spoke with Sony Customer Support. Because I played the game offline and earned a trophy, I cannot receive a refund. Even if they never fix the online portion, once a trophy is earned, they claim a refund for any title is impossible. Keep that in mind the next time you digitally buy anything from them again.

Auctopus

Quick impressions from my phone!

- love the game, very cool handling and when you get your hands on the audi rs5 for the first time, it's grin inducing.
- seems like there's a solid amount of content even when the online doesn't work.
- only graphical hitches I've noticed is there's a bit of aliasing. Would something like that be patch able in places?
- I'll agree with the reviewers that in later stages the AI gets very aggressive (rammy). Don't like losing thousands of points by other racers ploughing in to me.
- game looks beautiful during overcast.

Really enjoying the game.

Yup, as I said - the essential social portional is fucked right now (hence the greyed out menu). I am not fond of the situation, but the offline "portion" is great on its own though - for me, atleast.

The thing that pisses me off though is the proggress I am making in tour, doesn't yield any FAME points toward club that I can't even create/join.

I am interptetting "broken" as a word to describe the game which has game breaking bugs.
I get you, this online stuff is just frustrating. The most annoying thing to me to is how I sort of find myself going slower than I would on Tour mode because I want to play with the club stuff in and the challenges, etc. I would have played for hours more, but I'm sort of holding off a bit hoping that things will come online.

Late Flag

Just spoke with Sony Customer Support. Because I played the game offline and earned a trophy, I cannot receive a refund. Even if they never fix the online portion, once a trophy is earned, they claim a refund for any title is impossible. Keep that in mind the next time you digitally buy anything from them again.

This seems rather hard to believe. How far up did your complaint get escalated? This sounds like a "level one" excuse that would get overridden if you managed to talk to somebody higher up.

Quick impressions from my phone!

- love the game, very cool handling and when you get your hands on the audi rs5 for the first time, it's grin inducing.
- seems like there's a solid amount of content even when the online doesn't work.
- only graphical hitches I've noticed is there's a bit of aliasing. Would something like that be patch able in places?
- I'll agree with the reviewers that in later stages the AI gets very aggressive (rammy). Don't like losing thousands of points by other racers ploughing in to me.
- game looks beautiful during overcast.

Really enjoying the game.

points are of little value in the game: they are so easy to get i dont believe anyone past driver level 10 cares about them. They accumulate as you do whatever you do and the subtractions are unimportant. Going for a minimum time or biggest drift score for a few hours racks up excess points with each try that together out weigh all the points you lose from AI cars in the entire SP campaign.

Apeboy

Serious question time. Seriously.

Why are people calling this a arcade game? Is it just because there is no tuning?

Keeping the AI as a seperate topic. If I drive a car in DC like I'm supposed to the car responds like it's supposed to. Some cars are more forgiving while others will kill you. These tendencies are in line with their real world counterpart.

dano1

A Sheep

Why would you want a refund? Did somebody say the online will never work. Be patient little grasshopper.

R&R

How is the matchmaking even supposed to work? I get until "synching with lobby", after that it error, error, error...sigh.

Challenges are completely greyed out for me.

DenogginizerOS

This seems rather hard to believe. How far up did your complaint get escalated? This sounds like a "level one" excuse that would get overridden if you managed to talk to somebody higher up.

It was via their Live chat and they said there was no one above them that can help me. Yeah, I will be calling later once they open up their phone lines and talking about this for sure.

JamboGT

Serious question time. Seriously.

Why are people calling this a arcade game? Is it just because there is no tuning?

Keeping the AI as a seperate topic. If I drive a car in DC like I'm supposed to the car responds like it's supposed to. Some cars are more forgiving while others will kill you. These tendencies are in line with their real world counterpart.

It balances in between sim and arcade, you have to drive properly but there is more grip than in a sim and a little more inclination to slide. Tonnes of fun though, bit like PGR ;)

Xater

Their handling of digital pre-orders or games you bought digitally that are clearly broken (i.e. BF4) is terrible. I had nothing but bad experiences with it. I will never buy a digital game again from them because of that. Driveclub was a rare exception because it was so cheap.

DenogginizerOS

Why would you want a refund? Did somebody say the online will never work. Be patient little grasshopper.

I tend to expect things I spend money on to work. There are plenty of examples of online games that launch without the kinds of problems this game is having. But yes, patience is all I can have with this game for now. Doesn't prevent me from not buying another Evolution title at launch again though.

wickfut

Banned
It balances in between sim and arcade, you have to drive properly but there is more grip than in a sim and a little more inclination to slide. Tonnes of fun though, bit like PGR ;)

I've not tried the game with a joypad, only a wheel. In the wheel settings there's a "turn off steering assists" setting. This makes the game feel much like a sim racer, apart from the collisions.

And I agree, this game feels like PGR.. and I'm hoping this games online community ends up like what the old PGR2 community was like.

DirtyLarry

Your points add up while you stick to the line. The faster you go, the more points you get but the more difficult it is to stick to the line.

Pretty much it. But I think you get more points the faster you go through that section. But I could be wrong.
Never realized it but that makes complete sense. I am always just trying to go as fast as possible while staying in control, so that is why I never noticed it. Good to know though.

It is worth everything.

And man, it is not broken - just that the social aspect of it is offline.
Game, its Tour and other offiline stuff is awesome.

Two more hours....

I'm thinking I'll dive in too. Think I can handle no online stuff for a couple days. What's the word on visuals though? Gaf seems to be split between gorgeous and average. That's a big selling point for me with DC

dano1

A Sheep
I tend to expect things I spend money on to work. There are plenty of examples of online games that launch without the kinds of problems this game is having. But yes, patience is all I can have with this game for now. Doesn't prevent me from not buying another Evolution title at launch again though.

True. I guess I'm just used to dealing with week one online game problems. One of my favorite games is battlefield 4. Talk about patients:).
I was lucky enough to play a few races online yesterday and damn it's good! Just like always in a month nobody will care.

iFootball

EU too.

I've tried a few different tracks with different cars. First lap really slow, second lap a bit faster, third lap even faster and best lap is the fourth one.

Trophy never pops :(

That is weird...

I actually got the "Strike!"/"Rack 'em Up, Knock 'em Down" Trophy the very first time I tried by setting up a Single Time Trial Event, and improving my times over 4 continuous laps.... a couple of seconds after I crossed the Finish Line the Trophy popped up

I'm using the US version of the game btw

DirtyLarry

anyone using a wheel? I was thinking of picking one up, not sure if it was worth it or not.
I decided to pick up the Thrustmaster T80 Wheel as with some trade ins it cost me $30 out of pocket. I wanted to have a wheel, but did not want to spend over $100.
Keep in mind for the 360 I had the MS Wireless Wheel and I also have also owned both the Logitech G27 and a GT Driving Force wheels. So I know all levels of wheels.

What I can say is that yes, there is no doubt having force feedback and better tensions and radius for the wheel is obviously preferred, the T80 is still much, much more enjoyable than a controller.

So it is not going to be the best wheel you can get, but it does drastically change your experience. It truly is drastic. And for the better.

If you are picking up an even better wheel, I can only imagine it gets to wow levels.

Totally worth it imho.

JamboGT

I've not tried the game with a joypad, only a wheel. In the wheel settings there's a "turn off steering assists" setting. This makes the game feel much like a sim racer, apart from the collisions.

And I agree, this game feels like PGR.. and I'm hoping this games online community ends up like what the old PGR2 community was like.

Been playing with the wheel as well, haven't tried it with those turned on yet, staright off and manual from the get go :D

Pretty damn sure. I even wrote down my lap times to make sure the next one would always be faster.

Are you doing this in tour mode? Try a single event time trial on one of the circuit courses. In tour mode the time to beat is the fastest of the star times, as shown in the upper right corner. In the single event, it will show no time to beat if you've never raced that track and your first lap will set that time. Then you just need to beat your ghost on each subsequent lap. I did this last night, no problem.

Leunam

Played the first three events last night. In the first time trial I got within three seconds of the 3:05 target. After a few more tries I managed to finally get it. Always a great feeling seeing how many tenths I can shave off per sector.

For now I'm playing with the dashboard camera and no HUD. Not sure how I'll know when I can use DRS or what my KERS levels are at without the HUD though.

Very pretty game and great sense of speed, too. Even in a little hatchback.

Putty

Had a wee blast on my dinner, and for the first time managed to get online....so created our club which has a new name as Cunning Stunts was taken, its now GAF UK CS. I didnt try online multi or anything, just got the club up and running.

Game is godly.

I wonder if this game is selling well despite the less than stellar reviews. I hope so. I would love to see this game be continuously supported and eventually have a Driveclub 2

iFootball

I'm thinking I'll dive in too. Think I can handle no online stuff for a couple days. What's the word on visuals though? Gaf seems to be split between gorgeous and average. That's a big selling point for me with DC

Regarding Visuals I should also mention, while the Servers are being worked on, I've have an absolute BLAST setting up different Racing Scenarios in different tracks on the "Single Event" portion of the game...

• Night-to-Dusk + Point-to-Point + Clear Weather + Time Trial down a Norway track? Check!
  • Sunset-to-Night + Circuit + Stormy + Race in Canada ?? Check!

Just experimenting with so many options makes every race different, and some very memorable!... and this game highly addictive!... I can only imagine when the Servers & Clubs are working normally and all those challenges are being shared and thrown around... this game is crack!

Caayn

Ok so my impressions after playing it for a few days.

- Graphics are realy nice, although the reflections in the windows and (rainbow effect) in the lights look strange. I did expect more from the IQ after everything that was shown, nothing major for me.
- I really like the "grippy" nature of the game.
- The different type of zones are a nice addition to races.
- I dislike the AI, it's too aggressive and I've lost countless of points due to them bumping into me (WTF). They're not afraid to push you of the road if you happen to drive in their driving line.
- A more of a personal issue why is there no AI setting for the tour mode? And what's up with being unable to unlock the club cars if you're not in a club, I know it's not the point of the game to play solo. But for me as a solo player that greatly annoys me. Evolution could've at least made it possible to unlock them as a solo player by (for example) reaching level X as an alternative or allow one player clubs.

Dommel

Been playing with the wheel as well, haven't tried it with those turned on yet, staright off and manual from the get go :D

Is there actually any advantage to manual in this game? Normally it gives you an edge because you get to choose to stay in a certain gear longer or shorter but with the arcadey nature of DC it feels like more of a hassle.

I always pick manual but so far DC hasn't convinced me of the benefits.

F-Pina

Just did my review on the review thread but it was too short.
Here is a longer one: "This game is awesome."

I love the simplicity and fastness to get into races and out, no bullshit stuff to go through.
Everything works great but it is obvious this game was made to be online as lot's of menus are turned off until it can access the servers.

The only thing I don't understand (and other gaffers mentioned this) is why the overall sound is so low? I had to triple check to see if my sound system was ok or if the console was outputing something wrong before I noticed it was just too low.

Shaneus

Because sexy:
driveclub_20141010220cglx9.jpg

driveclub_20141010220uqbnp.jpg

driveclub_201410102207tyek.jpg

DOWN

Banned
They got everything so slick
except the part where we can actually use DRIVECLUBS.
good luck with those servers evo

bombshell

Played the first three events last night. In the first time trial I got within three seconds of the 3:05 target. After a few more tries I managed to finally get it. Always a great feeling seeing how many tenths I can shave off per sector.

For now I'm playing with the dashboard camera and no HUD. Not sure how I'll know when I can use DRS or what my KERS levels are at without the HUD though.

Very pretty game and great sense of speed, too. Even in a little hatchback.

Only the Mclaren P1 has DRS and KERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom