• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with the game being available to buy despite having been purchased? Some quirky database mix-up due to the PS Plus pre-order price I imagine?

baconcow

Played an hour or so and I can't understand the bad reviews, I don't think the game is great but it's definitely above average.

Anyway the colours on my game don't seem as bright and vibrant as they should be, I would turn up my TV brightness up but that would mess up the settings I have for other games which makes them look good. Is that my only option?

I am having this issue, too. Daytime is fairly dark and the character selection is very dim. I can barely see the characters on that screen. However, if I turn up the brightness, then all of my other games will suffer. I played Minecraft, NHL '15, The Last of Us, Diablo III and they all fare well (especially D3, which is a dark game). They really need some in-game brightness settings.

I'm really enjoying the game thus far, but can someone explain the corner penalties to me? I can't seem to figure out why I get them sometimes and not others.

What even are DRS and KERS? What do they do?

I know people already answered it but this video explains it pretty well and it's pretty quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yE3khtKZGg

I'm really enjoying the game thus far, but can someone explain the corner penalties to me? I can't seem to figure out why I get them sometimes and not others.

There is a certain distance from the track it allows you to cut in to but once you get too far in it'll penalize you. You just have to get used to where that point is.

ZServ

Should I go crazy and play this or put it down until the online is back up? I don't know how the whole club system works, or how to even check if I can connect to the servers.

Sami+

DRS, Drag Reduction System, flattens the rear wing reducing drag and increasing top speed.

KERS, Kinetic Energy Recovery System, harvests energy used when braking and stores in a battery, is then used to power the driven wheels by an electric motor when the button is pressed.

Both came from F1.

Rad, thanks. :)

Regarding Visuals I should also mention, while the Servers are being worked on, I've have an absolute BLAST setting up different Racing Scenarios in different tracks on the "Single Event" portion of the game...

• Night-to-Dusk + Point-to-Point + Clear Weather + Time Trial down a Norway track? Check!
  • Sunset-to-Night + Circuit + Stormy + Race in Canada ?? Check!

Just experimenting with so many options makes every race different, and some very memorable!... and this game highly addictive!... I can only imagine when the Servers & Clubs are working normally and all those challenges are being shared and thrown around... this game is crack!

You won't be blow away the first few races but as you race more and more locations and tracks open up, everything clicks and it is a sight and sound to behold. Lighting is out of this world and makes a real difference here. Racing is white knuckled and handling is spot on. I highly recommend getting the game for those on the fence. Sucks that the online is not working for me though. :(

Thanks guys! You've all pushed me over the edge so basically I'm downloading it now xD
Using CDkeys helps with the decision too!

Anyone who wants to add me for racing or invite to a club
once the servers resurrect
add me on PSN: funky_ole

red731

The sense of accomplishment when you out do yourself is so satisfying!

I am just screaming here in some situations. Holy. Fuck.

Should I go crazy and play this or put it down until the online is back up? I don't know how the whole club system works, or how to even check if I can connect to the servers.

I am doing the single race events like the time trials until Online starts working properly then I will do the tours. I do not want to be gaining points that do not go towards my Club and have to repeat the tours.

Also, doing the time trials really makes you better at the game if you work on getting your lap time lower. I literally spent 30 minutes on making my lap time, in I believe the Canadian circuit, to be lower than 1 minute.

boeso

Played for about 2 hours....this is exactly what I was expecting! The driving feels great and you can chuck the cars around like crazy. The cars feel very different so far, distinctly different, more than I was expecting. Finding the cockpit view a bit confined so I'm going to leave that until I learn the tracks a bit better and stick with bonnet cam. This game feels like the one that sold me a PS4 back in Feb 13'.

The amount of verticality (can't find the word) in some of the tracks is huge, making it very hard to see upcoming corners. You also really need to be aware when you're going downhill towards a sharp corner as the car can can fall away from you due to the extra speed/gravity.

Loads of awesome touches e.g. when the car starts to lift off and you can feel the back wheels struggling for traction, hair raising! Driving around that Loch in Scotland felt so damn cool. The sense of speed is unbelievable. I just got the Lotus Evora and oh my LAWD that thing flies. In India with all the trees inches away from you, its hard not to wee a little.

Finally not one to blow my own trumpet but I finished almost all of the Rookie events first time, now its getting a bit trickier as apparently the a.i. have bigger balls.

Nokterian

The sense of accomplishment when you out do yourself is so satisfying!

I am just screaming here in some situations. Holy. Fuck.

That what to me makes a racing games like driveclub great. Learning and learning and keep getting better and better until you succeed.

nib95

Banned
Side note, I think this may be one of the nicest steelbooks I now own. Just gorgeous!

9wtELs.jpg

RpNLAB.jpg

I am having this issue, too. Daytime is fairly dark and the character selection is very dim. I can barely see the characters on that screen. However, if I turn up the brightness, then all of my other games will suffer. I played Minecraft, NHL '15, The Last of Us, Diablo III and they all fare well (especially D3, which is a dark game). They really need some in-game brightness settings.

Yep, same issue here. The game gets pretty dark during daytime races, seemingly at random. Sometimes even switching the camera 'fixes' it for a little while.

So it's been around 24 hours since the server diagnostic tests. I'm hoping everything turned out fine and are able to get the servers up today for the weekend.

Please make it happen Evolution.

Keihart

Ahem...yes, I did and I reset the Display Area Setting back to its default because FIFA 15 has a bug with that setting that causes the HUD to not only move as expected but also INCREASE in size. Furthermore, I realised that on the default setting that games had their HUDs in the same place as PC and Xbox One games, in other words how the developers intended and in some games such as Diablo III expanding the Display Area Setting to the corners of my screen results in the HUD being too near the edges.

Besides, Driveclub and MLB 14: The Show are the ONLY two PS4 games out of the 60+ I have installed (disc and downloaded) that use the Display Area Setting to stretch the screen to full size on a native 1:1 pixel mapped 1080p TV such as mine. All the others, with the exception of FIFA 15 which is bugged, use it simply to reposition the HUD and are fullscreen 1080p even with the Display Area Setting left at its default position.

Read my thread here, which includes screenshot comparisons, for more info: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/283499

I havent had that problem with any ps4 game , and my TV settings are on just scan, so i don't see how is this the game's fault, it's more like a display specific problem, are you using a monitor?, monitors usually have that kind of problem even when resolutions match.

Had my second race online against one guy.

Early on in the race I got side on in a drag race so he squeezed off the track. I slowed down ever so slightly and just steered into his rear left tyre and bam, perfect PIT manoeuvre.

No consequences either.

I think the penalty system for collisions is kind of silly. When it comes to close racing, it doesn't actually do anything. You'll only actually be slowed down if you dive bomb someone at high speed, but pushing people into invisible walls, using them to slow yourself down for corners and straight up spinning them off the road is all unpunished.

The corner cutting penalties are kind of inconsistent too. There are some corners you can cut badly, some slow you,down for less.

I'd rather they go all in with the system.

red731

Wouldn't it be even more amazing if you could challenge your friends to beat your accomplishments?

*sadface*

Man, I would be so glad if it was working so I could challenge people, but now I am in this state with myself. Beating my of shit out of my times.

fight_club_punch.gif

Some self slapping through portal gif would work too.

How fast do I wanna go?! SO FREAKIN FAST!!!!!!!
KuGsj.gif

That what to me makes a racing games like driveclub great. Learning and learning and keep getting better and better until you succeed.

Absolutely agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom