• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GfK - One year after launch PS4 leads Xbone 4.4:1 in Germany

Radec

I suppose this shows how sales are split between both consoles, but how do you read the DC vs FH2 thing?

Yeah that DC vs FH2 doesn't makes sense since they are exclusives. And they are both adding up to 100% so the assumption of 61% of PS4 all users bought DC and 39% of all Xbone users bought FH2 is moot. I think.

You can't hotline from game front so adding a mirror

[/IMG]http://abload.de/img/idealo-07a1b9l.jpg[/IMG]

thanks.

TNH853

does someone get why ms is not dedicated in europe like in the usa? (no price cut and so on) it seems like they dont even care.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yeah that DC vs FH2 doesn't makes sense since they are exclusives. And they are both adding up to 100% so the assumption of 61% of PS4 all users bought DC and 39% of all Xbone users bought FH2 is moot. I think.

thanks.

I think it means that DC sold near twice as much as FH2 in total. If DC sold 61k then FH2 sold 39k. Of course this means that the attachment rate is much better on the Xbox side as a ratio.

oti

Banned
Idealo isn't a retailer, they don't sell anything. It's a huge site people compare prices on. So out of 100% searching for the best Destiny price, 80% looked up the PS4 version. There aren't sale numbers but they're a pretty good indicator for what is going on in Germany since both machines launched.

Probably helps that the WiiU is essentially a nonfactor. The pie just got bigger for the PS4.

I think its simply that they are fighting MS. MS isn't gonna put much of a fight in Germany or France for instance, but they will throw every single dollar into taking US. Fighting Microsoft on their home turf is a fools errand. Just look to the extremes they will go. Sony can't match that, not with their financial situation.

So I think in Sony's eyes, they want to take as much of NA as they can, while still retaining maximum profitability. So don't expect the extrme bundles and pricecuts you see from MS.

total hogwash, Ms is not some impossible foe who can do what they want when they want...Ps4 is ahead in the US for a reason.. Sony has mroe cards to play, ms already has lowered the price, that only goes so far you cannot do that every month. Sillyness after MS wins one month after a price cut bump. Sony will fight in the US and it will be close, ps4 is still in the drivers seat there.

Guymelef

You can't hotline from game front so adding a mirror

idealo-07a1b9l.jpg

Oh God.

Well, I am surprised.
I never expected this before the consoles were revealed. I thought MS would trample down PS4.
Then this strange generation started.

Then you were not paying attention.....Ps3 despite 16 months later in europe and 12 in the US caught up to 360.....It was easy to see if sony launched the same time and price xbox never had a chance worldwide. Anyone who thought xbox would trample was out of touch with reality..MS has the same problem they always had, they only sell well in 2 territories, lack broader appeal of playstation, but sony also sells well in the Us/UK (Even better this gen then MS).

The year + head start and entire gen price advantage did wonders for MS, they were not going to have the same advantages this gen, and cannot bank on that going forward. Not to mention ps3 being bad architecture for development.

Head to head playstation will beat xbox everytime unless Ms drastically changes it's appeal worldwide. I honestly don;t think Ms cares about markets outside the Us that much.

FeiRR

Banned
Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Serbia, Turkey, Bulgaria, Hungary... (I suppose some of these might also be considered Northern/Central Europe, apologies if calling them Eastern-European is incorrect, if that's what you were getting at. I tend to make the mistake as I'm in Germany and it's easy to conflate "Eastern-European" with the other European countries that are... well, to the east of us. :D )
I don't have a problem with the place where I live. I didn't choose where to be born.

Basically, what I meant is that Steam introduced regional pricing - tier 2 pricing for some of the economically weaker European markets as well as a whole separate tier just for Russia a couple years ago - and it's been paying dividends.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. There's no special pricing on Steam for Eastern Europe (except for Russia) for almost all titles. We have the same prices like you do (e.g. Far Cry 4 is €59.99). In fact, because of currency conversion, it means our games are a bit more expensive on Steam. I could buy FC4 digitally for €35 or even cheaper but that's another vendor.

le-seb

Not sales, just interests. So 70% searched for "Destiny PS4" and 30% for "Destiny Xbox One".
Okay, just people looking up for a game on one platform or the other, and not sales.
But still, what does the last comparison mean?
It doesn't make any sense to me...

BKK

I'm sorry but you're wrong. There's no special pricing on Steam for Eastern Europe (except for Russia) for almost all titles. We have the same prices like you do (e.g. Far Cry 4 is €59.99). In fact, because of currency conversion, it means our games are a bit more expensive on Steam. I could buy FC4 digitally for €35 or even cheaper but that's another vendor.

That's because Russia is outside of the EU. Restricting the free movement of goods within the EU is illegal, so if they price lower in some countries they have to allow people from all EU countries to buy from there too. I guess they can price cheaper in Ukraine and Belarus too if they want.

dracula_x

Basically, what I meant is that Steam introduced regional pricing - tier 2 pricing for some of the economically weaker European markets as well as a whole separate tier just for Russia a couple years ago - and it's been paying dividends.
That's not true at all, for Russia and CIS countries at least. I mean Steam didn't introduce anything regarding regional pricing. It's a myth. Regional pricing was introduced by local publishers long before Steam even existed. In fact, PC games in Russia cost more now than they did 10-15 years ago.

Okay, just people looking up for a game on one platform or the other, and not sales.
But still, what does the last comparison mean?
It doesn't make any sense to me...
Could be 1000k searches for DC and 500k for FH2, giving DC 67% of the "vote."

Did EU get the Plus discount on the digital DC? That may explain it's "poor" performance in the shops.

Slaythe

The France ratio is even worse for Xbox, it's unbelievable.

At this point, microsoft knows they have no way to come back, so they spent all their budget on UK / US and let the rest of the world "go to hell" pretty much ...

le-seb

Did EU get the Plus discount on the digital DC? That may explain it's "poor" performance in the shops.
Well, maybe. I'm missing an explicit legend on this one.
And yes, DC 'PS+ upgrade edition' was only 40€ on the PS Store at the time it's released, which was cheaper than any physical deal you could find in retail.

EGM1966

Unless they made up the statistic this must be exactly what they did. Aggregate number of searches for each then use the volume split percentage.

Seems obvious enough.

Unless they made up the statistic this must be exactly what they did. Aggregate number of searches for each then use the volume split percentage.

Seems obvious enough.
Right. The same would apply to the other games, really. Maybe they had 1740k searches for GTA5 on PS4, and only 260k searches for XB3. It's possible they also had 500k searches for the PS3 version, but those aren't factored in here.

You're just comparing any two arbitrary products, really. It just happens that you're able to compare the same game on different platforms. It'd be interesting to see the PS3/PS4 split on Destiny or FIFA for example, to get an idea of how the Gen7->Gen8 migration is going, etc.

Pezus

I don't expect everybody being interested in arcade car racing games, though.
So this still looks like some weird statistic to me.

Huh. They're comparing the relative interest in the two games. Of those interested in either game, 61% are interested in DC and 39% in FH2

Then you were not paying attention.....Ps3 despite 16 months later in europe and 12 in the US caught up to 360.....It was easy to see if sony launched the same time and price xbox never had a chance worldwide. Anyone who thought xbox would trample was out of touch with reality..MS has the same problem they always had, they only sell well in 2 territories, lack broader appeal of playstation, but sony also sells well in the Us/UK (Even better this gen then MS).

The year + head start and entire gen price advantage did wonders for MS, they were not going to have the same advantages this gen, and cannot bank on that going forward. Not to mention ps3 being bad architecture for development.

Head to head playstation will beat xbox everytime unless Ms drastically changes it's appeal worldwide. I honestly don;t think Ms cares about markets outside the Us that much.
First off, thanks for the detailed thoughts. Maybe it was a lot of pessimism for the playstation brand, but before the reveal I wasn't the only one thinking like that...

In fact, there were quite a lot of indicators that this gen would belong to Xbox. Let's keep it short and snappy:
Sony is broke. they cannot counter moneyhats. they will not be able to finance their studios any more. they will not be able to create a machine with a competetive price. They had such great ps1 and ps2, but ps3 was overloaded with features and the cell was simply a bad idea, the console was a mess. extrapolating the trend, ps4 will be even worse.
microsoft learned a lot, have deep pockets, are buddy-buddy with ea and will buy exclusivity whenever it is needed (FIFA for europe, shooter-stuff for the US). they will make the fastest console with the best online experience for the lowest price and easy to develop for.
Japanese game studios are in a crisis and doomed anyway, so there is no hope except being sponsored by xbox. kojima appearance on ms-stage was the beginning and a sign foor things to come...

Lemondish

Such an obvious troll post gets the replies?

C'mon GAF, you have more class than that.

edit: although there are several newer members involved in the exchange, so maybe they just need to become more familiar with the tone used around here

By tone you mean worthless shit posting.

DBT85

First off, thanks for the detailed thoughts. Maybe it was a lot of pessimism for the playstation brand, but before the reveal I wasn't the only one thinking like that...

In fact, there were quite a lot of indicators that this gen would belong to Xbox. Let's keep it short and snappy:
Sony is broke. they cannot counter moneyhats. they will not be able to finance their studios any more. they will not be able to create a machine with a competetive price. They had such great ps1 and ps2, but ps3 was overloaded with features and the cell was simply a bad idea, the console was a mess. extrapolating the trend, ps4 will be even worse.
microsoft learned a lot, have deep pockets, are buddy-buddy with ea and will buy exclusivity whenever it is needed (FIFA for europe, shooter-stuff for the US). they will make the fastest console with the best online experience for the lowest price and easy to develop for.
Japanese game studios are in a crisis and doomed anyway, so there is no hope except being sponsored by xbox. kojima appearance on ms-stage was the beginning and a sign foor things to come...

One does not simply extrapolate a trend from one data point. That should have been a warning in itself. MS had one good generation and Sony had one bad one. In Sonys case they lost marketshare but still outsold their HD rival launch aligned (at a cost of billions) . In MS case they did very well in the US and UK, thanks in large part to being available a year early and focusing on the English nations.

I'm sure before next gen the same thread of predictions will happen the other way around and who knows what might happen. Wii3 rises from the crumbed ashes of the WiiU and takes a barnstorming victory with 3rd party support to boot (lol).

One does not simply extrapolate a trend from one data point. That should have been a warning in itself. MS had one good generation and Sony had one bad one. In Sonys case they lost marketshare but still outsold their HD rival launch aligned (at a cost of billions) . In MS case they did very well in the US and UK, thanks in large part to being available a year early and focusing on the English nations.

I'm sure before next gen the same thread of predictions will happen the other way around and who knows what might happen. Wii3 rises from the crumbed ashes of the WiiU and takes a barnstorming victory with 3rd party support to boot (lol).

Well, I am much wiser now. And quite happy with the situation as it is. but it's funny that in these discussions for everyone it had always been chrystal clear that sony will "win" the generation.

And about this trend extrapolating stuff: This is the most common and the most misused tool around. Hearing people talk about new stuff that got popular, like free to play some years ago, you can be sure that you hear about golden futures all around, ever growing markets and market leaders wherever you look.

SgtCobra

XB1 doing well in:

USA
America
'Muhrica
The States
The Land of the Free
UK
England
Britain
British isles
Anglia
Great Britain

Such success, much markets.
And New Zealand too, I heard there were a whole lot of stacks of unsold PS4's over there.

Such an obvious troll post gets the replies?

C'mon GAF, you have more class than that.

edit: although there are several newer members involved in the exchange, so maybe they just need to become more familiar with the tone used around here

Xbox One is obviously a amazing console, why does it rub people the wrong way when others express that they enjoy gaming on it?

Rymuth

XB1 doing well in:

USA
America
'Muhrica
The States
The Land of the Free
UK
England
Britain
British isles
Anglia
Great Britain

Such success, much markets.

You forgot China where it has outsold the PS4 100k to none. Flawless victory.

Xbox One is obviously a amazing console, why does it rub people the wrong way when others express that they enjoy gaming on it?
Meh, Tommy Manberg (now known as The One and Done) and SenjutsuSage put more effort in their posts.

FeiRR

Banned
That's because Russia is outside of the EU. Restricting the free movement of goods within the EU is illegal, so if they price lower in some countries they have to allow people from all EU countries to buy from there too. I guess they can price cheaper in Ukraine and Belarus too if they want.

Also wrong. I can't buy certain things from Amazon.co.uk (for example toys or digital content) if I have my address as shipping. You wouldn't be able to buy a cheaper digital game from our shops too. Nothing illegal about it.

samar11

Jesus christ...this is immediate thread-lock worthy.

A breach of sales integrity is serious.

We should have known...since that source in the OP was so willing to cite bullshit Chartz figures as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the actual numbers are similar though.

Foshy

I wouldn't be surprised if the actual numbers are similar though.
doesn't matter. sure, anyone can make an educated guess and maybe come close to the actual numbers. if they're not real, they're not real and shouldn't be taken as any indication.

samar11

doesn't matter. sure, anyone can make an educated guess and maybe come close to the actual numbers. if they're not real, they're not real and shouldn't be taken as any indication.

Yes that's true, also I meant to say I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio is that big. lol

Donos

Chartzzz everywhere.
Can remember when for two weeks, there was no XB1 title in the german top40 while PS4 had 7 (or 14?) . Numbers can't be that good in germany. Although there are tons of crazy XB1 deals floating around in germany atm.

What I dont buy is that MS can literally buy their way out of a hole.
I understand that they have a war chest of cash, but like any business, they have to justify why a specific division can have x amount of cash.
If their end goal is to get lots of consoles into peoples hands, to sell software, so be it- quite valid and normal for this industry.

But if their cost of business is higher than the revenue they generate as a result, then what is the point?

The rzerblade model is pertnent - you have to sell your main product at a loss and make up with repeat business on overpriced blades. But if your losses are not offset by future revenue then you have no business.

THis year it's been quite incredible how far MS have been prepared to go to ensure they win this holiday season They are literally giving away their top games with every consolem and cutting the price too, aleit in selected markets. It is a gamble, but will it pay off before their losses outweigh their gains? At the end of the day they have to justify it at board and shareholder levels.

Sony on the otherhand might not have the might and warchests of MS, but they now know that the PS4 is their biggest and most sucesful product, so they arent going to let that market disappear so easily. Ensuring the PS4 continues to remain the success it is, and making them money, will focus them in a way I dont think we have seen since the original playstation.

Top Bottom