• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

Tizoc

200,000 views since Saturday :O

Personally from what I've played of it, the game appears to be a single player story driven gamers dream. Feels almost old school in a good way given how multiplayer tends to drive most triple A titles. The game visuals really create atmosphere missing in many generic shooters.

Old school like Wolfenstein TNO?

Exquisik

I took the one that I could see the playthrough, and after looking at the video I can confirm that he played just like most people will play. The people claiming 10+ hours are completionist. If you are the type of person that looks into every corner of every room then I have no doubt, and have not denied, that you'll get 10+ hours out of the game. Unfortunately that type of person does not represent me, or the general public.

There is a big distinction between what any individual person would like vs. what the gaming community taken as a whole would like. People are getting upset because they are confusing their own personal tastes with that overall community. Nobody is saying that you can't or won't like The Order 1886, but can you really recommend the game to someone who likes to just play a game normally without looking for extra stuff to do?

Great for you, but do you think that attitude represents the larger gaming community? I think most people would think 8-10 hours is a bit short for a game. Maybe I could see if a game was absolutly at the top of its class an exception could be made. Unfortunately for the Order neither gameplay or story appear to be that good.

I don't know what kind of agenda or propaganda you're trying to pull, but enough with trying to justify that The Order is a 5.5 hours game. Yes, the fact that the game could be completed in 5.5 hours should be factored into the average game time, but it doesn't need to be reiterated over and over again. And I don't know why you mentioned that the gaffers that have the game are not playing the game like most people will on a forum filled with other gaffers. And how do you know that most people will not be playing the game like them or that most people will be playing the game like the youtuber? And completionist are people that tries to accomplish or achieve every achievement in the game, or in this case a platinum trophy, but it seems like not everyone will get a platinum in one playthrough (although it is possible).

Have you played the game to make an impression that neither the gameplay and story appear to be good? And I'm hoping that you are not basing that impression on the youtube videos. So far there is mixed impressions on NeoGAF in regards to the story and gameplay, and of course those are highly subjective as each person has different taste in games. Just because one person says black is the the best color doesn't mean that everyone should think the same. I don't mind opinion but please don't pass it off as a fact.

And just for the hell of it, the average game time of the game so far is 10 hours, that's ranging from 5.5 hours to 13 hours.

Gurish

I have watched a sample of the youtube playthrough.

The game's strong points are graphics,art design,VA,story and the gameplay is serviceable and competent.
Which reminds of....Naughty Dog games!!! (TLoU in particular)

Don't understand why this game is viewed with such scorn and doubt when TLoU is worshipped on the same earth.
Well I am still not buying it simply because I didn't budget for it.This game seems definitely worth it if you like any such similarly designed game.

Its not controversial or different.
TLoU gameplay is not serviceable and competent, it's one of the best TPS around, combat is dynamic and intense, gunplay is very satisfying, don't know what you are talking about.

There are free games where you can spend 1000+ hours.

So yeah, people are right about being upset on $60 6 hour games.

Things are very different from RE1/2 times.

Not really.

I'm perfectly happy paying for a 6 hour game if the quality is there. If you're not, don't buy it. There's no need to be pissy about it in a thread.

Like I can't give a rat's arse about League of Legends. You don't see me complaining about it in its OT. Or how I can't care less about MP in most FPS.

Always remember that you don't need to press the Submit Reply button. Sometimes just let it go man. Go play the games you want.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You're saying no one is talking about a 2 - 3 hours speed run of The Order, but that was my point...For example, it took me 2 days to beat The last Of Us which was about 12 hours total and someone beat it just over 3 hours in there speed run. And for your last sentence, other people popped it in and just played it only getting 10-12 hours of playtime.

But the guy who did that speedrun played a shitload of the game to get to that point. Those videos aren't of a first time experience and don't really have any merit in comparison.

I watched quite a chunk of that YouTube playthrough. The game looks fantastic, the setting and environment is amazing, but the amount of cut scenes is rather concerning. I know others have said the player must have played on easy/done a speed run etc. but he didn't look like he was trying to blitz his way through it from what I saw.

Still undecided. Will see what reviews say.

That whole article is good, sums up exactly how he feels about game time and how the industry needs different type of games. Enjoyed it, thanks. This part just sums up exactly what he feels.

"Game length is important," he said. "Every game has to take its own time to tell its story. Some games can be short. Some games can be long. I still remember the first time I picked up Modern Warfare, I finished the campaign in about three-and-a-half or four hours. And it was fun because they made that campaign work for that because they had something else.

"Any of these games need to pack in what it needs to to deliver the experience you were hoping to deliver when you first tackled it. For us that meant, it's not going to be a short game, it's going to be something that rewards you as you play through, that there is a storyline, that you have information there, and then also it opens the door to a lot of questions you might be able to answer either by what you find in the game, or hopefully by what you will find out in the future.

"Our industry is diverse enough that we need different games. We have to allow for different genres and single-player games like we do, multiplayer games, co-op games, social games, whatever it is."

There are free games where you can spend 1000+ hours.

So yeah, people are right about being upset on $60 6 hour games.

Things are very different from RE1/2 times.
Actually, some things aren't. A good game is a good game.
6 - 10 (or even more) hours for a single-player game (not being a RPG)
is an ordinary lenght.
Some are upset and right so? Not really. But hey, they can go and play multiplayer or open-world RPG's until they die.
But for a single-player game in that genre, the lenght is absolutely okay.

If you play a game one time and throw it away afterwards.... well, then buy this game when it's cheaper after a few months.
But don't cry when these game won't get made anymore, because they weren't successful and all you got is multiplayer-only + 3 hours campaign games, FPS, dudebro crap, etc.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame that the entire discourse surrounding The Order is about it's length. I'd love to talk about the gunplay and the setting and whatnot. I think it's really great.

They did not.
vader.jpg

It's a shame that the entire discourse surrounding The Order is about it's length. I'd love to talk about the gunplay and the setting and whatnot. I think it's really great.

That's my main concern. I know the production values are astounding but i need to know if there's a game there and just how heavy the QTEs are before i decide if it's for me or not.

But the guy who did that speedrun played a shitload of the game to get to that point. Those videos aren't of a first time experience and don't really have any merit in comparison.

Of course he did, just like there will be people trying to get the fastest speed run time completing the Order. But like I said before I'm done talking about that because I don't want this thread taking a U-turn.

Mabufu

Banned
Not really.

I'm perfectly happy paying for a 6 hour game if the quality is there. If you're not, don't buy it. There's no need to be pissy about it in a thread.

Like I can't give a rat's arse about League of Legends. You don't see me complaining about it in its OT. Or how I can't care less about MP in most FPS.

Always remember that you don't need to press the Submit Reply button. Sometimes just let it go man. Go play the games you want.

Sure it's better to be rich and not to care or worry about anything and just go on your own.

But you cant blame people for wanting the money they paid to be worth.
And for many, 6 hours is just not worth the money, despite the quality.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
That's my main concern. I know the production values are astounding but i need to know if there's a game there and just how heavy the QTEs are before i decide if it's for me or not.

I've only played for about 45 minutes but in those 45 I didn't come across one QTE, and it was about 90% gameplay and 10% cut-scene. I know it's not much, but that's just my experience.

Sure it's better to be rich and not to care or worry about anything and just go on your own.

So the 3rd-Person Action Adventure genre isn't the right genre for these people?
Only if it has a tacked-on online-multiplayer mode?

I wonder what they're gonna say for Bloodborne...
No colours. Feels like a Souls game and we already had 3. No shields. Too much blood.
6/10

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I don't know, there's a thread on Gaf for a Remaster of 6 hour game that can be completed in 1.5 hours, I think the amount of time people have put into that game is due to the quality of the product and obviously not the length.
But the length debate is always a slippery slope, I always seeing people on here posting really first play throughs but I end up doubling it or even tripling it and I can see how I would play it faster unless I rushed.

On the question of game length, I watched a few streams (Twitch) over the weekend and one person claimed to have completed it in under 4 hours.

From my own impressions based on the streams (couple of hours across the streams):

- Slow start, very much a tutorial
- Incredible visuals (the lighting especially)
- Story pacing is good, although there are quite a few interruptions with interactive cut-scenes
- Didn't see any of the stealth sections
- Very much a point-to-point shooter, no deviation
- No verticality

Shabad

This is a single-player TPS, length is about the same as any other single player TPS in existence (bar The Last Of Us). What's this fuzz all about ?

You understand how painful it is to read this thread, when you are actually looking for actual impressions for the game ? Especially on a forum like Neogaf, that usually manage to avoid the stupid shit posting...

HORRORSHØW

This is a single-player TPS, length is about the same as any other single player TPS in existence (bar The Last Of Us). What's this fuzz all about ?

You understand how painful it is to read this thread, when you are actually looking for actual impressions for the game ? Especially on a forum like Neogaf, that usually manage to avoid the stupid shit posting...

what's worse is that this thread was specifically created for gaffer impressions to insulate from the needless posts about length that obstruct meaningful impressions (both good and bad). they're in here, somewhere, but you have to wade through a lot of shit to find it.

Mabufu

Banned
So the 3rd-Person Action Adventure genre isn't the right genre for these people?
Only if it has a tacked-on online-multiplayer mode?

I don't know, there's a thread on Gaf for a Remaster of 6 hour game that can be completed in 1.5 hours, I think the amount of time people have put into that game is due to the quality of the product and obviously not the length.
But the length debate is always a slippery slope, I always seeing people on here posting really first play throughs but I end up doubling it or even tripling it and I can see how I would play it faster unless I rushed.

If you dont have infinite money, you'd actually think before spending it, and try to maximize the fun you can get from it. And this game, despite being top quality, if it's that short, and doesnt have replay value, you can call it a waste for the price. As long as you care about the money.

I really dont get what's so hard to understand.

Grimløck;152272178 said:
what's worse is that this thread was specifically created for gaffer impressions to insulate from the needless posts about length that obstruct meaningful impressions (both good and bad). they're in here, somewhere, but you have to wade through a lot of shit to find it.

Indeed.
Impressions from watching someone else play, especially _that_ walkthrough, select people who have already made up their mind not to play the game, at least at launch (or cannot play it because they don't have a PS4). Because who would watch a walkthrough and then buy the game?

So their point of view is of little interest. And barely belong in a topic marked "impressions". As much as they try to sound dispassionate, some of them are transparently not. They're clogging up the topic and are not saying anything new.

If you dont have infinite money, you'd actually think before spending it, and try to maximize the fun you can get from it. And this game, despite being top quality, if it's that short, and doesnt have replay value, you can call it a waste for the price. As long as you care about the money.

I really dont get what's so hard to understand.
It totally understand you.
But in my honest opinion, these people have a problem with the entire genre then (if it doesn't have a online-multiplayer), because these kind of games have that lenght (of 6 - 10 hours). It's the normal lenght.
So it seems like they have to play RPG's or multiplayer games forever.

RexNovis

Banned
For everyone looking for GAF impressions amidst all these OT youtube vid posts here you go:

“For those worrying about gameplay length, please stop. I've been playing it nonstop since 2:45pm; it's now about 10pm, and I have 7 6 chapters left to finish. And yes, there is plenty of gameplay; it's not mostly cutscenes. The beginning of the game is heavy on exposition, but things heat up midway, and now I would say it's heavy on combat. Some very interesting story developments going down now; I could easily finish this in one sitting, it has me hooked, but The Walking Dead is calling me lol. I can't stress enough how crazy the visuals are. No slowdown, crazy smooth frame rate, (it's gotta be above 30) it really is playable CGI.”
Source

"Finally finished.

Going to try to do this without saying anything at all about the graphics.

As I stated originally the game starts off slowly with a deliberate pacing building the characters story and atmosphere. After about 5 hours in the story becomes very tight but you are asked to read between the lines on a few issues which I will not spoil here. Following context clues makes some of them pretty blatant others a bit more elusive. It is all tied together very nicely.

Level design is good, not excellent but good there are often multiple ways to dispatch enemies besides hiding behind cover and playing whack a mole. I like to try different approaches to combat in every game I play and can make combat in Infamous Second Son look like a choreographed fight in a film.

Some of the things you can do in the Order when you put some thought into it are pretty amazing. They just require a bit of creative timing with Blacksight and the various weapons at your disposal. I do feel like something is missing from combat options but I cannot quite put my finger on exactly what it is. I never had a problem with the cover system and was at times impressed (annoyed heavily at one point) with the enemy AI.

The Order is going to be my new go to score and there is one track in particular that hits at just the right moment and adds an extra layer of drama to the already intense scene. The music never felt out of place but what stood out to me just as much as the music was the ambient sounds. Some of them are so good I would suggest standing still and just listening to the world around you.
There were a few QTE in the game that I felt were out of place outside of those few incidents the pacing and placement of them was fine. The game gets better as you go on and in my opinion ends on a very high note but I must admit it has left me wanting more. I would suggest playing with aim assist off, camera bias on and hard difficulty.
I will give the game another play through at a much slower pace but if I had to say yes or no to buying this game day one, I would say this is definitely a day one game.

I think the game is more akin to TLOU in pacing than Gears which is a good thing in my opinion and after completion I would still say this is my favorite new IP so far this generation.

First play through score 9/10

Edited to add:
My wife watched me play this entire game from beginning to end, the last game she watched me play from beginning to end was TLOU. "

Source

" Well here are my final impressions for the game, i'll review parts of the game in different categories , then the overall experience and summary.
I'll try to sum up everything as much as I can.

Graphics:
Technical marvel. True next-gen experience, on all fronts.
No loading times, super silky smooth frame rate (you all be surprised how smooth it is), no graphic glitches, amazing and consistent art all around.
A lot of times it's hard for you to grasp it's even a game running real time.
Black bars didn't really filled their job.
Making transitions back to gameplay already done better in games like MGS. They downgraded from the experience, from gameplay side and from art side.

Sound:
True 1886 era fitted music, amazing score and theme.
Voice acting is top notch all around.
Were moments I was surprised the developers added some of the sounds you usually don't hear while interacting with the environment.
The theme really works and sticks with you, other times though really good music kicks in but can be forgettable easily.
Menu and UI:
Menu is on the light side, something I like.
It's easy to navigate, and to understand and looks good.
Only thing that comes to mind on the bad side, is the weapon selection UI.
It's too big and centered in the middle of the screen, not very good while action is going.
No option to change button layouts is a big negative.

Pacing and story:
Starts really slow, the intro stays it's welcome way too much.
And on top of bad paced intro, it comes instead of good exposition that I felt lacking most of the game.
The story starts to pick up from late middle of the game, but when it does it grabs you so hard it makes you want to continue playing nonstop. Really emotional and good, something a lot of games having hard time to achieve.
Characters are really believable and make strong impact.
Sometimes the story kicks you to some places, which you wander what happened between the last cut scene to the next. I felt out of place when it happened, it felt unnatural to the flow of the game.
Sadly the game ends way too quick after the story really shines and makes you feel you deserved more.

Gameplay:
Odd design and gameplay decisions plague this game.
Basic cover and stealth mechanics makes a solid shooting encounters.
It also fails to explain in depth cover mechanics like camera bias (which is off by default) and corner cover switching, taking into account the game has a very long intro to introduce them.
You actually use some of the weapons once or twice the entire game. Made me wish I could use them more in the first time playing.
Setting up encounters in terms of level design and weapon placement can be better.
It's on par with KillZone SF right now.
QTE's in the game strike me as a failure from the gameplay design aspect for making better shooting encounters and "boos battles". Like Far Cry 3.

Overall:
Game is AAA with high production values, I don't think the negative outweighs the positive.
In a sense it's more of a journey, a really good and polished one we must endure till a sequel that will make good on gameplay without any black bars.
Is it worth the price of admission now? Yes.
There's nothing else like it on the market now, the wow factor is really big.
And if we put aside the wow factor, it's still a good polished story driven game with production values trough the roof.

Granted if you played uncharted or gears, there's a lot of room this game doesn't deliver, but overall it's something you can't allow yourself not to experience.

The order 1886, is really a new mascot for SONY. Just not too shiny. "
Source

“Just finished the Lycan encounter that's been shown at E3. The visuals seem to have been upgraded; it looks incredible. The fight itself reminds me of RE4; very visceral and hard hitting. I think this game will be very divisive; I like slow burn, atmospheric games, which The Order most certainly is. Those who crave constant, in your face action will probably be disappointed, because it's just not that type of game. The real star of the show is the universe itself; the settings, the characters, the way the story is told bit by bit instead of just flooding you with information. If someone were to walk in on you playing this, at first glance they would think you were watching a movie, which is what I believe RAD was aiming for. It looks eerily lifelike at times. I'm playing on Hard, with aim assist off, and I've died about 10 times so far.”
Source

Edit: fixed error in first quoted post 6 chapters not 7.

RexNovis

Banned
34 pages and 4 impressions.... thanks for summing it up at least.

There've been a few more valid ones but honestly I cant be assed to filter back through all of this refuse to find them. Its odd I figured with the message in the OT we would avoid all these youtube vid posts but I guess that was too optimistic.

Shabad

Thanks anyway, you did something I really couldn't bring myself to do. Those are pretty good and positive impressions, I can't wait to hear more :)

RexNovis

Banned
Why did you edit perineumlick's quote to say 7 chapters when he wrote 6?

I did? Was not intentional. I copy and pasted the impressions I saw into a notepad and then copied them back in to post them. Ended up having to reformat them on my phone. Ill fix it.

Top Bottom