• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

Second no frills play through, hard difficulty camera bias on aim assist off. My first play through as I stated I spent the vast majority of it just looking at things and trying to see what I could and could not do.

Second play through time is just over 8 hours which includes an unspecified amount of time where I had to put my kids to bed and argue with my wife about hogging up the big TV during the walking dead.

Thanks for giving more impressions, and for the risks you took in getting in the way of your wife watching a crying Daryl :p

Edit: Too bad it's getting buried under discussion that belongs in the other trending thread. FFS people.

sam777

I can't imagine there would be many GAFers out there who would intentionally completely ignore every single collectible, viewable or readable item within the game, even if the button prompt came up right in-front of them. Like wise with not looking around or exploring even a little bit.

Not saying ignore them if there right in front of you but the majority of people won't be bothered looking for these tidbits and gaffers are the minority in the gaming world not the majority.

eculley

Neo Member
Some of my personal favorite games of all time are shorter ones. I have a hard time completing super long games. I am one who prefers something engaging and on the shorter end.

Heavenly sword, TLOU etc etc

Great, impactful stories that didn't take a ton of time to complete.
This way, I can play through them a couple of times for trophies and whatnot.

This is still a day one for me.

Vinc

Not sure that counts, everyone should have known exactly what that game was. I actually played a good 15-20 hours of Ground Zeroes.

Well isn't this the point? Knowing what it is, being concerned about it, and still ending up disappointed? I think I've seen threads about Ground Zeroes being too short after it came out... could be wrong though.

Either way I'm basically never concerned about the raw length of a game, I just want it to be well paced and satisfying.

Thanks for the impressions OP! Hopefully more to come from other people that have played it.

Some of my personal favorite games of all time are shorter ones. I have a hard time completing super long games. I am one who prefers something engaging and on the shorter end.

Not sure TLOU is a good example considering its 15-20 hours long.

Namikaze1

It seems to me that through the history of this forum we always have a lot of concerned posts over total playtime concerning every game that comes out. For all the deep concerns though have we ever actually had a game come out that was deemed a terrible value based on length? I can't think of one game I have played and thought - WTF! Thats it!! Only BLANK hours!!!
There were people concerned over MGR due to its short length. I beat the game in 5 hours but man were those the best 5 hours of that day. Yeah, it was short but I didn't had any regret spending $60 on it.

Melchiah

I can't tell for sure, but they did wander around a bit at times, so my guess is that it was their first time. Also, they unlocked trophies while playing, so that would suggest it was their first time. They didn't seem to be looking for hidden stuff or anything, they just went straight for the main objective. I wouldn't call it a speed run or anything though.

That right there can shorten a game by several hours, like you can blast through TLOU in 12-15 hours, but a more thorough run took me 19 hours.

There were people concerned over MGR due to its short length. I beat the game in 5 hours but man were those the best 5 hours of that day. Yeah, it was short but I didn't had any regret spending $60 on it.

To be fair it is expected to play multiple times on multiple difficulty settings in a game like MGR plus you have plenty of unlocking to do.

Uh... TLOU is pretty long for a shooter. It took me 34 hours to finish - I was looking in every dark corner of the map and stealthing every possible encounter (stealthing = stealthi killing every enemy inlcuding Clickers).

bombshell

Second no frills play through, hard difficulty camera bias on aim assist off. My first play through as I stated I spent the vast majority of it just looking at things and trying to see what I could and could not do.

Second play through time is just over 8 hours which includes an unspecified amount of time where I had to put my kids to bed and argue with my wife about hogging up the big TV during the walking dead.

What does the camera bias setting do?

I'm a pathetic excuse of a Gaffer!

I play a lot of games on easy.

Lol me too. I'm like fuck this annoying fight here eat some of my easy mode bullets and let me progress and know what happens next

I'm a gaffer and I don't collect shit :) . Eg uc games or tlou's pendants in like oh cool 50 more left I don't care . I do read up on story related collectible at times tho depends on the strength of the story

I do soak up the atmosphere and graphics at times but it has to be something awesome eg riverside after pittsburg. Some amazing skyboxes etc.

Just assuming everyone wants to play things a certain segment do it not being true to the general populace (even actual gaf populace)

And this is coming from someone who doesn't really have that many qualms if the game is roughly 5.5 6 hours if that long is good enough I'll enjoy it . However I am ready to realize that's what my playtime would be like because I play like that YouTube person .

get-out-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-192.gif

I only collect what i find while admiring the levels. I usually find a lot that way, without actively looking for them.. I don't go for a colectathon trophy (such a chore). I do play most games on hard though. Just more satisfying for me.
Not sure that counts, everyone should have known exactly what that game was. I actually played a good 15-20 hours of Ground Zeroes.

You can't compare The Order with Ground Zeroes in any way.. it's completely different. But yes, i also played way more than 8 hours in that "demo".

Namikaze1

To be fair it is expected to play multiple times on multiple difficulty settings in a game like MGR plus you have plenty of unlocking to do.
I sadly only played once. Would love a remaster of it.

I'm more of a one playthrough gamer. There are some games where I do multiple playthroughs but those tend to be RPGs.

eculley

Neo Member
Uh... TLOU is pretty long for a shooter. It took me 34 hours to finish - I was looking in every dark corner of the map and stealthing every possible encounter (stealthing = stealthi killing every enemy inlcuding Clickers).

Not sure TLOU is a good example considering its 15-20 hours long.

Maybe it just seemed short. I, like most others, could NOT put the controller down.

If it's engaging, I will play it more than once. And, to me, this is more appealing to me than longer games with a bunch of nonsense to expand the length.

Vroadstar

Thanks for this because it's much more believable reading gaffers who own and played the game rather than a few who are propagating the 5 hour narrative based on ONE YT video which to some folks apparently is more believable vs impressions of a few gaffers here (4 now I believed) who played the game.

I'll be playing this a day early than most of the gaffers here so I can't wait to share my impressions as well.

I dont remember ever being so many threads with 30+ pages, about a game that hasnt come off yet...if we could merge them all together we'd be getting close to 500 pages by now.

I dont remember ever being so many threads with 30+ pages, about a game that hasnt come off yet...if we could merge them all together we'd be getting close to 500 pages by now.
Did you not see the smash threads? There were like 10 or more before release.

On topic, my main questions are about quality rather than length. I am excited though.

nib95

Banned
Not saying ignore them if there right in front of you but the majority of people won't be bothered looking for these tidbits and gaffers are the minority in the gaming world not the majority.

I don't know how on Earth you're coming to that conclusion. Personally I disagree and think that a large portion of the wider audience will care about some of these additional things (not all of them, but a lot of them). But even then it's an irrelevant point because it doesn't matter how other people play the game, it matters how you or I would play the game, and we are GAFers lol.

I've started to think a lot of the heat this game is getting on here is because a lot of people had incredibly high hopes for the game and the hype was driven up dramatically by two pseudo insiders on here whom were fed drips on inside information and promised that The Order would be a genre defining game.

Once the wool came off everyone's eyes, it's was people thought it was from the first previews.

nib95

Banned
I've started to think a lot of the heat this game is getting on here is because a lot of people had incredibly high hopes for the game and the hype was driven up dramatically by two pseudo insiders on here whom were fed drips on inside information and promised that The Order would be a genre defining game.

Once the wool came off everyone's eyes, it's was people thought it was from the first previews.

This is not really what happened at all lol. The game has been getting more heat than most games in recent memory, from the very offset. Including some pretty lukewarm early previews (though several of the newer one's were more positive). Someone pull out that Order 1886 chalk board lol.

EDIT: Found it lol. I still think it's missing loads of things.

lLCTobj.jpg

Ricky_R

Wait, was that on Earth?

I really really wanted this game, but on Saturday, I spilled soda on my 6 month old MacBook Air and had to replace it :(

Now I'm broke.
And depressed.

Eggbok

Genre defining? LOL WHAT
I have literally never seen anyone post anything remotely close to suggesting something like that. You got links?

Lunar15

I think the only thing I was legitimately surprised about after seeing the initial teaser is that it WASN'T a co-op shooter. Teaser just screamed Left 4 Dead.

geordiemp

Look at the first page on GAF, the most posts is about people collecting plastic toys, at least this is posts about a game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This never happened.

Fury451

Banned
Well isn't this the point? Knowing what it is, being concerned about it, and still ending up disappointed? I think I've seen threads about Ground Zeroes being too short after it came out... could be wrong though.

I think Ground Zeroes caught a lot of people off guard because of how it was presented. We knew it was a prologue, but that really wasn't well defined.

A lot of the length issues with that come from the price too I think. The main mission can be done fairly quickly- I finished it in about 1.5 hours. There's some decent extra content, but I think some people, at least me, expected a bit more story or at least more robust of a setup from Kojima.

Vroadstar

You sure spend a lot of time stressing it is less than 6 hours in multiple The Order thread, I wonder why.....

You talk like you know the YouTuber and you even ignore that one GAF member (who is trophy hunter and failry good player) gave his playtime on normal as more than 10 hours.

And you sure do love bashing it as well

Please. Just stop with this BS in this thread, like you have been doing in every The Order thread.

Yikes, it burns. I knew I've seen him in The Order threads but this just makes it so clear to me. I wonder why as well...

BokehKing

Banned
If TLOU was a shooter I may have actually enjoyed it. Uncharted with zombies it was not.

This never happened.

There was some amount of "we've heard little of The Order, disappointed the game is revealed to be a TPS" narrative going on by some of the press (never mind that we've known since E3 2013 that it was a linear TPS), but there was no 'genre defining hype' nonsense.

OSHAN

Thanks to everyone that's played the game for providing impressions. Sounds fantastic. Very much looking forward to Friday. (Should be tomorrow, damn it.)

inki

I look forward to playing this game, however I have a gaming budget. Though it surely cost them a lot to create this game and I'm sure its an amazing experience. I don't feel the value is there (for me). I simply DO NOT replay games, its a chore and I don't enjoy it. I will not be purchasing this game now, I will purchase this once it's on sale or its been out for awhile.

Freeman

Banned
I'm watching the first chapter on youtube, since I won't be getting the game now and I just want to get a sense for the IP.

RaD is smart. They positioned themselves to do really well this gen. Now they have a solid engine built for the PS4, they are releasing a story focused game with iconic visuals to establish a possible franchise. The game also appears to have solid mechanics that could serve as the basis for co-op and multiplayer modded, making a sequel even more compelling.

Every successful console ends up spawning a few successful franchises, this has everything to be one.

hemo memo

Gold Member
People worried about the length just wait for Howlongtobeat

I know my play style is like 2 - 2.5 hours above the average time

I'm watching the first chapter on youtube, since I won't be getting the game now and I just want to get a sense for the IP.

RaD is smart. They positioned themselves to do really well this gen. Now they have a solid engine built for the PS4, they are releasing a story focused game with iconic visuals to establish a possible franchise. The game also appears to have solid mechanics that could serve as the basis for co-op and multiplayer modded, making a sequel even more compelling.

Every successful console ends up spawning a few successful franchises, this has everything to be one.
Yup. That's exactly what I was thinking of the game. I don't like to do "dev charity" but I really want to see what they can do with a sequel now that the engine is built. Can they pull an Uncharted and come back with a way better sequel and some solid multiplayer? I hope so. So I think I'm still buying it.

Korten

Banned
So is the story good?

I ask cause I saw in the other thread, that Rapier seems to (at least if I unerstand) that the story is bad, and has a lot of issues. Which seems to be going against his saying about the story in this thread.

nib95

Banned
So is the story good?

I ask cause I saw in the other thread, that Rapier seems to (at least if I unerstand) that the story is bad, and has a lot of issues. Which seems to be going against his saying about the story in this thread.

Seems like most have enjoyed the story, but some have expressed that they feel it ends a bit anticlimacticly, or with too many questions unanswered. I assume it's leading on to the inevitable sequel.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Ok, just finished the game (took me about 9 hours on normal). I suck at writing impressions so I'll keep it short.

I didn't find the story anything special. But it's good enough, good characters with top notch VA and great facial animations.

Gameplay wise, it's solid. Satisfying gunplay, great weapons, decent AI. My main issue with the mechanics is that when you're close to a cover, Galahad would automatically stick to it, and that really irritated me. There's a button for taking cover if I wanted to, so why is there a contextual system on top of that? And there's no way to turn this off.

The disappointing: The unique weapons are so underutilized. The half breed encounters, both number and design wise.. What a missed opportunity.

Overall I liked it, I was craving for an AAA TPS and this game delivered, with an amazing atmosphere and solid gameplay. But just as I expected, it was honestly nothing special. 7/10 (If you wanna know my scale:
1-5=different levels of crap, 6=decent, 7=good, 8=great, 9=amazing, 10=The GOAT and it's reserved for TLG
).

Now, where's my photo mode...

Mabufu

Banned
This is not really what happened at all lol. The game has been getting more heat than most games in recent memory, from the very offset. Including some pretty lukewarm early previews (though several of the newer one's were more positive). Someone pull out that Order 1886 chalk board lol.

EDIT: Found it lol. I still think it's missing loads of things.

lLCTobj.jpg

Hilarious.

Sony fans sure are afraid of this game becoming a disappointment.
Just a few days more to know.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To be fair, I really think Shinobi should not post these hype tidbits like "wait and see :D"

etc... in threads. He did this especially regarding the "soft body physics" stuff, which we have yet to really see.
I don't remember him saying anything about physics. I only remember Pessino saying things about it on Twitter.

Pretty much everything Shinobi said was spot on. The most teasing he did was for a trailer that it seems like he may have seen before we did.

He's even said he's expecting the game to get thrashed in reviews. That's not exactly saying it's going to be a genre defining game

Ok, just finished the game. I suck at writing impressions so I'll keep it short.

I didn't find the story anything special. But it's good enough, good characters with top notch VA and great facial animations.

Gameplay wise, it's solid. Satisfying gunplay, great weapons, decent AI. My main issue with the mechanics is that when you're close to a cover, Galahad would automatically stick to it, and that really irritated me. There's a button for taking cover if I wanted to, so why is there a contextual system on top of that? And there's no way to turn this off.

The disappointing: The unique weapons are so underutilized. The half breed encounters, both number and design wise.. What a missed opportunity.

Overall I liked it, I was craving for an AAA TPS and this game delivered, with an amazing atmosphere and solid gameplay. But just as I expected, it was honestly nothing special. 7/10 (If you wanna know my scale:
1-5=different levels of crap, 6=decent, 7=good, 8=great, 9=amazing, 10=The GOAT and it's reserved for TLG
).

Now, where's my photo mode...

Thanks for the impressions.

kitch9

Banned

I flibberygibberted my pickle monster as well..

Sorry, the quoted post made me assume this thread was for talking nonsense.

Carry on.

Top Bottom