• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
I wasn't aware pointing out well known facts about Dre's creative process is talking tough or 'shitting on him'. I suppose we all have our soft spots.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This is good. Real good. Fuck Kanye when Jay drops that collab with Bey on Tidal he's going to set the subscription game on fire.

The board at apple have to one up Jay. Can't go back to that u2 gimmick. They're going to turn to Dre, with the mannerisms of a carter 3 era Birdman and say 'so about that detox.'

We about to eat brehs.
But you are already here.

Nibel

When Dre is done with playing LovePlus games in his 10000000 dollar bed and finished Detox all will be forgiven hopefully

Kush alone > MCHG

...but then again, MCHG>>>>>>>>>> I need a doctor

I really dislike I need a doctor

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
k36PhuQ.jpg

Lol it's on there

If Blackace were here dudes blood pressure would leap by 50 points but...

Is there any rap artist more loved and accepted for having their shit ghostproduced, ghostwritten, ghostrapped(? vaguely remember you mentioning this) than Dr. Dre? I think not brehs. The things that people used to wholly slate other artists for, fans shrugged off because....... 'he's a producer' innit? He 'defined the sound of a scene' right?

JgZs64Q.png

Kanye comes to mind but overall Dre by a mile. Yes I know Dre is influential. But at the same time let's look at it brehs...

World Class Wreckin' Cru: Dre and the crew show up in 1983, a decade late to the homoerotic attire fad. Even their defenders will tell you they were just trying to jack Prince's androgynous swag but let's be real: I can at least contemplate a scenario in which having sex with Prince wouldn't be gay, given the fact that he transcends gender and sexual concepts by at least 100 years; it might seem gay-ish today but I could sleep well knowing history would judge me favorably. Whereas I'm not sure I'd even shake these niccas hands, especially in the 80s if you know what I mean.
rWGNDVC.gif

N.W.A.: Like any good businessman, Dre has a knack for taking advance of dullards. How else can you explain how a World Class Wreckin' Cru member convinced a hardened gangster (Easy E) to loan him money to create a rap group. After finding a couple light skinned suburban kids to join the group, Dre mixes east coast hip hop production with the gangster lyricism. The mixture wins fame and the group is hailed as originators of a "new style" of rap (that Schooly D and Too Short were doing first).

The Chronic/Doggystyle: Dre loops classic funk records and creates the sound of the west coast. Well, at least for people who didn't know about Above The Law. Still I won't hate on this, Dre clearly perfected the style so I'm cool with him getting credit.

Dre also pioneers the fad of filling albums with plebian rappers who bring down the overall quality of a project.

1990s: Dre spends the rest of the decade learning all types of shit from DJ Quik. To this day Dre is credited as having some of the best drums in rap. In reality he relied on a variety of ghost producers, including Quik who showed him how to separate drums from the rest of the sample. He also becomes responsible for at least 30% of Compton's working population as either ghostwriters or first responders to 911 calls concerning domestic violence.

Chronic 2001: A new batch of ghost producers join Quik in the lab to create the next Dre sound. Dre also hires someone to write a personal song about the loss of his brother, which tells you all you need to know about him IMO. Ultimately the album's production revolves around hard drums, stirring strings, and horns. I can't hate, the sound is dope...but the album is criminally overrated and features a variety of redundant and bad songs. Seriously, if you were at a BBQ could you throw Chronic 2001 on and not take an L? Hell no. In fact someone would no doubt ask you to throw on The Blueprint instead.

2000s-Today: Dre spends the rest of the decade recording thousands of songs that will never be released, greenlighting shitty Eminem albums, and signing various bottom feeders to Aftermath. He also perfects gangster pop music with 50 Cent and The Game, who release albums that age terribly.

IrishNinja

It also looks a lot shinier when you have people doing a lot of your creative work for you, including having people like Jay-Z writing some of your biggest hits.

you did it esh. you broke gafhop kayfabe and look what happened

relevant avatar

ahaha

but onto PD crushing the building (i forget what it was but in the day i bought some bootleg lookin greatest b-sides of Dre" and i swear half it was Wreckin Cru shit, ugh

After finding a couple light skinned suburban kids to join the group, Dre mixes east coast hip hop production with the gangster lyricism. The mixture wins fame and the group is hailed as originators of a "new style" of rap (that Schooly D and Too Short were doing first).

The Chronic/Doggystyle: Dre loops classic funk records and creates the sound of the west coast. Well, at least for people who didn't know about Above The Law.

... He also becomes responsible for at least 30% of Compton's working population as either ghostwriters or first responders to 911 calls concerning domestic violence.

Chronic 2001: Dre also hires someone to write a personal song about the loss of his brother, which tells you all you need to know about him IMO.

...like how you gonna tell esh it was too early inna morning for a glass of ether and then drop a whole punchbowl of it fam

pretty sure getting head on stage from a stranger is more dangerous [shrug]

a lesser man would make a rape culture joke here, but point taken

This "Dr. Dre ghostproducer" thing is wack.

He's a composer, brehs. He reached the level cap. At the level cap you don't touch the boards anymore, you get someone else to fix a snare in a rapper's headphones. You sit back and hum something while the pleb producers and pleb musicians lay the beat out at your feet.

Then you stick it in the vault because the world ain't worthy.

#GOAT

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's not like any of this shit wasn't known about Dre back in the day, though. It's just that he was a product of his time when shit like that was allowed to happen. The game keeps changing and he's not too far away from catching the Country Kitchen Buffet early bird special with KRS.

Esch

Banned
It's not like any of this shit wasn't known about Dre back in the day, though. It's just that he was a product of his time when shit like that was allowed to happen. The game keeps changing and he's not too far away from catching the Country Kitchen Buffet early bird special with KRS.
We all know except for the Soulja sorority . It's just funny to point out once in a while that Dre's been running a ghostsweatshop starting with DJ Yella and continuing on to this very day. I remember someone in this very thread giving Dre dap for 'making GKMC what it is' or something of that nature.

But then again all the big boys have done their fair share of songnabbing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We all know except for the Soulja sorority . It's just funny to point out once in a while that Dre's been running a ghostsweatshop starting with DJ Yella and continuing on to this very day. I remember someone in this very thread giving Dre dap for 'making GKMC what it is' or something of that nature.

But then again all the big boys have done their fair share of songnabbing.
Dre isn't responsible for GKMC, but he is responsible for Kendrick getting his flow together (which then deteriorated in TPAB again, making me feel like Dre was less influential).

Esch

Banned
Dre isn't responsible for GKMC, but he is responsible for Kendrick getting his flow together (which then deteriorated in TPAB again, making me feel like Dre was less influential).
Yeah, shifu of the mic Grandmaster MC Dre took Kendrick into a back room to refine his flow.

Please cite your quotes.

lmao

Dre was literally brought in after GKMC was finished to put the final touches on it - he did things like change the drums on Poetic Justice. The idea that he had anything to do with Kendrick's flow is laughable. Or that it "deteriorated" on TPAB. Surely one can tell the difference between the sheen of GKMC and the more live, improvisational nature of TPAB.

Esch

Banned
Did you guys see this VladTV interview where Scott Storch's nephew revealed that during the recording process of GKMC,Dr. Dre took Kendrick to the hyperbolic time chamber and taught him to rap properly whilst stepping over hot coals at 50 times the normal gravity of earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom