• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Xbox One has another official price cut. £299

dc89

Just seen a TV ad on Sky. Showed Halo & Tomb Raider.
"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul"
Xbox One, now starting at £299.99

They're jumping in.

Skyzard

Banned
Nice, hopefully the unofficial bundles will become cheap enough that I can get one just for Sunset Overdrive and whatever other decent exclusives.

jono51

Banned
OP, there has already XB1 bundles at ~£250 for a while now.

I think they keep missing off Europe when they go down their list of countries the XO needs to be reduced in.

PS4 is still officially £349.99 but you can get it without trouble nearer the £320 mark. Think the cheapest XO has gone down to is about £240.

ps3ud0 8)

There was a £288 PS4 w/ Bloodborne at Gamestop for the past couple of weeks. Think the deal has expired now, but they're still available at that price with LBP3.

Hasney

tumblr_lnnz7not2E1ql141xo1_250.gif

It's certainly not doing badly. If you follow the UK sales charts, you'll see Halo: MCC drop out of the charts and then come storming back once they start doing that bundle again. While it's still not doing as well as the PS4, looking at that shows it is still doing business.

This probably won't change much. If you shop around you can pick up an Xbone for ~£250, and only a little more than that with a game or two. Similarly, a PS4 can be had with a game for £280 and up.

Conduit

Banned
It's been available for closer to £250 from major retailers for months.

Some of the highlights for discounts have been £219 preowned from Tesco, £235 from Simply Games, via Rakuten. £223.83 from Amazon Germany (including shipping to the UK), £260 with Forza 5 from GAME.

This isn't even getting in line with existing discounts. Hard to imagine many people have been holding out for a better price, but not noticed the many discounts to sub £300 prices that have already been available.

Edit: Even buying direct from Microsoft, the White Xbox One + Sunset Overdrive bundle has been available for £279 for ages.

Just wow! And Xbone didn't do shit with that prices!

I feel like it's been this price for some time, but good on them for making it official I guess.

Might have been an idea to do it during the Easter break rather than just after though...

It does seem bizarrely timed. However like you said it's been under £300 unofficially for many months now and there were some key game bundles for under £300 at Easter too. I guess all this is doing is helping retailers make more rather than consumers saving anything but it's PR for MS in helping to perceive value for unaware consumers. But unsure how much of an impact this will have on anything. Still I guess it aligns the system well for the slower months and The Witcher release.

Dynomutt

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO!

zrm6pafwttkknd0pjngf.gif

I find it amazing how affordable this gen has been so soon! All the bundles, sales, and discounts like GCU. Even Steam and its bundle sales as well as great prices on AAA launches, it baffling. Right now is a great time to be a gamer. Kudo's to MS and the folks across the pond.

I'm a PS man. FF7 changed my life...lol But were all family!

wotta

Great move. This will definitely get some number going for Microsoft.

Your move Sony. Let's get that price down!

You'd think but there have been bundles below £299 for months in the UK, numbers haven't increased that much. Maybe a cut on the high street will help.

It's certainly not doing badly. If you follow the UK sales charts, you'll see Halo: MCC drop out of the charts and then come storming back once they start doing that bundle again. While it's still not doing as well as the PS4, looking at that shows it is still doing business.

That doesn't really tell us anything though.

You'd think but there have been bundles below £299 for months in the UK, numbers haven't increased that much. Maybe a cut on the high street will help.

High street prices have been lower than this price point for months, even at Game where they try to rip-off all their customers.

ps3ud0

There was a £288 PS4 w/ Bloodborne at Gamestop for the past couple of weeks. Think the deal has expired now, but they're still available at that price with LBP3.
Cheers, weirdly I looked at HUKD top gaming deals before I posted and couldn't find one for the PS4 so just hedged my bets on how cheap the PS4 could be found - I suspected it must be around £300.

ps3ud0 8)

redcrayon

RRP doesn't mean much for console prices in the UK. Retailer bundles are almost always way better deals, you've been able to get an Xbox One for under £300, depending on what games you want, for a long time. Same goes for PS4, shop around and you can get some great deals.

With the deals for the XBone that retailers were pushing over Easter it wouldn't surprise me if it had been outselling the PS4 in that time and that was what actually drove MS to say "fuck it lets just drop to £299 anyways".

While Sony had some good bundle deals, I think casuals would be more likely to pick up an XBone for nearly £100 cheaper with known brands (Halo/FIFA) than The Order/Bloodborne.

With the deals for the XBone that retailers were pushing over Easter it wouldn't surprise me if it had been outselling the PS4 in that time and that was what actually drove MS to say "fuck it lets just drop to £299 anyways".

While Sony had some good bundle deals, I think casuals would be more likely to pick up an XBone for nearly £100 cheaper with known brands (Halo/FIFA) than The Order/Bloodborne.

But people have been able to pick up bundles with those games for months, before Christmas there were good bundles with FIFA and halo.
The draw of Bloodborne/the Order bundles is that they are new games in bundles which are available only now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is one problem if a product isn't selling that well. MS are effectively following what the market has already done - retailers are heavily discounting, then they'll complain to MS that they can't sustain that because there aren't any margins, so MS officially cuts to levels at or even slightly above what it is already selling for.

So even though it is welcome, it is clearly a reactive measure and will not have as big an impact because the price has already been at or below that level.

it says something when the Xbone was only £80 more expensive than the 360 with the £250 bundles we had a couple of weeks ago.

Might pickup one when it hits sub £200 this Regular Season.

iirc in January last year, there was a quote that PS4 outsold the Xbox One by 3:2, Xbox has maintained that ratio throughout, and JVM posted software sales this year that suggests it's just as close as it has been from the start.

no it hasn't the ps4 has been selling better, we even heard that in Xboxes regular season of Nov/Dec where they made up ground in the US, in the UK the PS4 sold more. It's not increasing massively, but month on month, it is getting bigger.

robo

Are they making any profit on these deals though? 2 games free and console drops to around £150-£180 in worth?

Strange time though to announce a price drop.

And again people will "wait for it to go even lower".

4 drops in 18 months, another one due in August going by a drop every 3-4 months?

Three

I highly doubt that if amazon is anything to go by (and it usually is). I'd say the past 2 weeks the XB1 was actually struggling. With no new releases to push sales for the XB1 and Bloodborne selling PS4s the XB1 dropped pretty badly on the charts. The deals you see now are probably to try and combat that drop.

But people have been able to pick up bundles with those games for months, before Christmas there were good bundles with FIFA and halo.
The draw of Bloodborne/the Order bundles is that they are new games in bundles which are available only now.

Yes but there was a big push at Easter with these games at retailers that won't have had these deals on since Xmas at the likes of Tesco and Argos not just GameStop or some lesser known Internet site. And Easter is generally a mini Xmas for spending on kids.

I highly doubt that if amazon is anything to go by (and it usually is). I'd say the past 2 weeks the XB1 was actually struggling. With no new releases to push sales for the XB1 and Bloodborne selling PS4s the XB1 dropped pretty badly on the charts. The deals you see now are probably to try and combat that drop.

But what were Amazons deals like compared to say Halo/FIFA/£10 credit for £280 at Tesco?

I'm not sure Amazon is a great estimate for the whole market TBH. There was a shit tonne of XBones being sold at Tesco over Easter because of the above deal. Biggest I've seen consoles moving since Xmas. And far more than PS4. But that was one store and anecdotal. However I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case on a bigger scale. It was a great and well advertised deal.

Striek

Its a step in the right direction but I think it would've been smarter to match if not undercut the going market rate.

They won't get much marketing mileage out of £299.

EGM1966

JVM's software data.

iirc in January last year, there was a quote that PS4 outsold the Xbox One by 3:2, Xbox has maintained that ratio throughout, and JVM posted software sales this year that suggests it's just as close as it has been from the start.

That's software though isn't it? I thought the general hardware ratio was around 1.5 to 1 in PS4 favour (on average) in UK?

I guess it's somewhat splitting hairs. What's obvious is that PS4 has outsold XB1 in a ratio that allows MS to feel they can compete (hence why they're willing to invest in price cuts) while also being enough of a gap for MS to feel they need the price cuts.

hodgy100

you've been able to get XO's for £200-£230? any more than that doesn't really constitute "nearly £100" more like "around £50"

a.wd

I paid £225 for my PS4 with a couple of games and a controller, and £280 for my XB1 with 4 games, I think thats the right price for them, but looking back I would want more games with my PS4, I don't think I have got the best value out of it currently.

Percy

Banned
Again? Damn... really gotta feel for the poor saps
myself included :(
that paid north of £400 for one of these just over a year ago at launch.

Wonder if there'll be another cut come November time.

I find it amazing how affordable this gen has been so soon!

It wouldn't come as a surprise if you compared the manufacturing costs of these devices to last gen. There's a lot more room to drop sooner since they were breaking even or turning a small profit at launch. Since there is/was some slack, the tempo of price drops has been dictated by the relative success of the devices on the market, rather than by changes in manufacturing technology and improving yields. A far cry from the subsidized hardware model of yore.

LOL I always find the “Great deal, your move now Sony” posts funny.

They always exist inside a bubble where they ignore the fact Sony are outselling them 2:1 and have no reason to drop the price yet and instead make it seem like Microsoft have been holding back their true power and have now decided to unleash the beast and put Sony down for good. I can imagine the people posting them reacting to the news like someone at a fighting even seeing a flurry of attacks into a knockout victory, wincing and left speechless at the sheer brutality of the attacks on display with nothing but admiration for Microsoft.

I also find it funny how the argument changes depending on the day, from making Microsoft come across as a glorious behemoth with its infinite war chest able to out buy god or instead the plucky underdog who has managed to impossible task of toppling the evil rule of Sony. Quite the feat really.

Three

Yes but there was a big push at Easter with these games at retailers that won't have had these deals on since Xmas at the likes of Tesco and Argos not just GameStop or some lesser known Internet site. And Easter is generally a mini Xmas for spending on kids.

But what were Amazons deals like compared to say Halo/FIFA/£10 credit for £280 at Tesco?

I'm not sure Amazon is a great estimate for the whole market TBH. There was a shit tonne of XBones being sold at Tesco over Easter because of the above deal. Biggest I've seen consoles moving since Xmas. And far more than PS4. But that was one store and anecdotal. However I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case on a bigger scale. It was a great and well advertised deal.

Amazon is a great estimate, it hasn't been wrong so far.
Amazon's price was £299 Fifa+FH2. It was still cheaper than this official pricecut but it hasn't sold that well. It's 98th on the chart, behind the PS4 GTA bundle at 48 and solus PS4 at 32.

Talking off the PS4s RRP. So £250-£280.

It's silly to use RRP for one then not the other in a prediction.

Picked up my console with Kinect and AC:IV, AC:Unity and Forza 5 ( with Top Gear DLC ) for £289 from Game about 6 weeks ago, so deals are out there.

tuna_love

Banned
LOL I always find the “Great deal, your move now Sony” posts funny.

They always exist inside a bubble where they ignore the fact Sony are outselling them 2:1 and have no reason to drop the price yet and instead make it seem like Microsoft have been holding back their true power and have now decided to unleash the beast and put Sony down for good. I can imagine the people posting them reacting to the news like someone at a fighting even seeing a flurry of attacks into a knockout victory, wincing and left speechless at the sheer brutality of the attacks on display with nothing but admiration for Microsoft.

I also find it funny how the argument changes depending on the day, from making Microsoft come across as a glorious behemoth with its infinite war chest able to out buy god or instead the plucky underdog who has managed to impossible task of toppling the evil rule of Sony. Quite the feat really.
I think you're over thinking things just a tad.

MilkyJoe

It's 269 with Lego Marvel (I think it was that game) in my local Sainsburys. Official price cuts are a bit redundant really.

Top Bottom