• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Xbox One has another official price cut. £299

kyser73

Unsurprising, at this time of year console bundles are never spectacular, yet every week that passes the price keeps getting lower and more games keep getting added to the bundles. £299 with at least 2 games has pretty much been the norm for a while.

It's about time Sony did something about the price though, there hasn't been any impressive PS4 bundles since Christmas, the few sub-£300 offers that have been around are all just solus consoles or old LBP3 or DC bundles. Anecdotally I've been noticing at work that we've been selling more Xbox One systems than PS4s pretty much since Christmas. If Sony don't bother reacting I think they'll quickly find out how fickle the UK market can be when it comes down to price, particularly considering how many 360 owners haven't upgraded yet.

Yes because after nearly 20 years selling playstations in the UK the price-sensitivity of consumers there will come as a shock to them, especially with their access to daily sales reports for the whole UK.

RootCause

Keep chopping that price MS. Hopefully it gets cut in NA too. Would be crazy if I ended up paying less than I did for the wiiu.

No point cutting the price just going into the quieter summer months.

£299 in september. £249 would be massively aggressive and I don't think they need to be. Anything in between (eg £279) is pointless.

Agreed, for Summer they only really need to ride it out with a couple of decent value bundles (£329 with Batman and a digital game) that don't make the gap seem particularly large, £299 is needed by August/September though. £249 probably would just trigger Microsoft rushing to match that anyway, and I can see Sony wanting to save that price point for the introduction of a redesigned model.

The RRP is still £349.99.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_gets_another_price_cut_now_299_99.html

Simplygames were selling it for £239 last week and it's £250 at Asda right now with Halo MCC so you shouldn't be paying that much anyway.

hqdefault.jpg

shandy706

The OP price is still $89 more than the regular price in the US.

Looks like there are cheaper deals around in the UK here and there though.

Chobel

Microsoft has told VideoGamer.com that today's price cut is not an official price drop but a "UK-only retail promotion"

LOL! So the same as US? Then this is a an official price drop.

Not sure, PS4 is selling great and it can be compared to PS2 but i guess Xbone is gonna do way better tha original Xbox did, i think that in the end of this generation both PS4 and One will be pretty close, like PS3 and Xbox 360

Not sure if serious.

The OP price is still $89 more than the regular price in the US.

Well, duh. This is almost always the case for anything game-related in the UK.

Nice thing about the XBONE is iirc you can change the localization to English (US) and start buying games from the US store for $60USD instead of 50-60 GBP.

I really should've waited to get an X1 with all these deals going on! Got caught into the Titanfall hype and bought it then, haven't touched it unless I play halo a every once in awhile.

Chobel

So the price cut= desperation but the Sony bundle= great deal?

Nice. I want to have a cake and eat it too. Cheesecake preferably.

Not saying MS is desperate, but that bundle is from one retailer and not from Sony. It's not the same situation at all.

Great move. This will definitely get some number going for Microsoft.

Your move Sony. Let's get that price down!

This isn't going to have one iota of an effect.

I don't think you understand the difference between a manufacturer price drop compared to a retailer.

Percy

Banned

What's your reasoning for a console that launched at £429 now showing up at prices in the £250-£299 region in just over a year after release then?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm down with 5 year cycles.

I don't know, with the way AAA games need more and more time, Halo is coming out in the Xbox One's third year, Gears of War in the fourth. If anything, I think this gen will stretch longer than last.

On topic, price drops are always good for the consumers. Also, what is with this desperation talk? It's Microsoft, they could probably be giving the console away for 50$ and still not be bothered by the losses, isn't like 80% of their revenue from corporate Windows and Office licences? (All in my opinion of course)

Because it is.

It's more aggression than desperation. They're hardly at Wii U sales levels in the UK, in fact they're not far behind PS4. But MS has no major exclusives for a good while, so their only other tactic is to lower the price to maintain any momentum they have left.

Personally, the price isn't the issue with XBO for me, as a PS4 and Wii U owner it's the lack of exclusives. I need more exclusives to justify having another (large) box under my TV. To be fair, if I was a XBO owner I'd be saying the same thing about PS4. MS tactic is therefore to be the cheapest place to play the third party games for now, until their big hitters arrive later in the year when the focus will move away from pricing and on to marketing.

LOL I always find the “Great deal, your move now Sony” posts funny.

They always exist inside a bubble where they ignore the fact Sony are outselling them 2:1 and have no reason to drop the price yet and instead make it seem like Microsoft have been holding back their true power and have now decided to unleash the beast and put Sony down for good. I can imagine the people posting them reacting to the news like someone at a fighting even seeing a flurry of attacks into a knockout victory, wincing and left speechless at the sheer brutality of the attacks on display with nothing but admiration for Microsoft.

I also find it funny how the argument changes depending on the day, from making Microsoft come across as a glorious behemoth with its infinite war chest able to out buy god or instead the plucky underdog who has managed to impossible task of toppling the evil rule of Sony. Quite the feat really.

its not serious

Hasney

It's more aggression than desperation. They're hardly at Wii U sales levels in the UK, in fact they're not far behind PS4. But MS has no major exclusives for a good while, so their only other tactic is to lower the price to maintain any momentum they have left.

Yup. Based on the UK data JVM supplied us with, I'd say that the XB1 is in a much better position at this point in the generation than the PS3 was. The big difference is that Sony had other markets to back them up slightly whereas MS really only has the US and UK.

shandy706

LOL I always find the “Great deal, your move now Sony” posts funny.

They always exist inside a bubble where they ignore the fact Sony are outselling them 2:1 and have no reason to drop the price yet and instead make it seem like Microsoft have been holding back their true power and have now decided to unleash the beast and put Sony down for good. I can imagine the people posting them reacting to the news like someone at a fighting even seeing a flurry of attacks into a knockout victory, wincing and left speechless at the sheer brutality of the attacks on display with nothing but admiration for Microsoft.

I also find it funny how the argument changes depending on the day, from making Microsoft come across as a glorious behemoth with its infinite war chest able to out buy god or instead the plucky underdog who has managed to impossible task of toppling the evil rule of Sony. Quite the feat really.

Is this a meme post?

It's hard for me to tell on this one...these funny/way too serious posts make me question them.

Somnia

I obviously don't have exact #'s but wasn't last we heard the XB1 was around 1.5 to 1.6 million and PS4 around 2 to 2.2 million in UK? It's a lot closer there than some people on here are stating.

sounds like desperation. if it were the first time cutting the price down, sure. i can't even keep count how many times we've had a price cut thread ever since the xbone launched. they've been cutting the price down and they're not seeing the results they want/expect. they probably said, "screw it" and drew out a price cut roadmap whenever they can't hit certain targets, or they probably can't find any 3rd party who wants to do bundles with them. ps4 just had bloodborne, it'll get batman, it will definitely get mgs5. xbone has witcher 3 co-marketing but i don't know if it'll get a bundle. last bundle was what, ac unity? they overshipped that bundle and retailers are still trying to sell off all those. then again they can just send the boxes back and have those repackaged.

NickFire

this has been a great generation for consumers in regards to console price/value wars.

There really hasn't been much war. Really just one company who offered a fair price since day 1 and stuck with it for 18 months (while adding games along the way). And a second who came out ridiculously high and keeps dropping the price in hopes of getting people to buy it.

Is this a meme post?

It's hard for me to tell on this one...these funny/way too serious posts make me question them.
It's exaggerated but I do think some of the console wars posts since its become clear Sony was taking the lead from pro Microsoft posters are basically this at their core.

Skenzin

Banned
Yeah; Complete opposite of last gen.

I disagree. This gen has much cheaper internals and launched with limited exposure to the makers. Last gen had exotic and powerful silicon relative to PC gaming, the cell cpu and the 360's gpu with unified shaders were engineering marvels. This gen was designed by accountants, slap some cheap AMD jaguar cores and comparatively weak gpus. It was all about avoiding thermal issues and keeping it cheap.

It's sad but this gen is already looking and feeling limited for many reasons, but the limited gfx power hasnt helped them. This has felt like a half step gen.

Only for people who are interested in an Xbox One.

The PS4 has yet to get a price cut.
There have been some good deals though. I really wish they would go down a half bill though. Would push a couple my friends over the edge who are a little tighter with dough.

It is amazing how far Xbox stock has fallen with my group of gamers. There have been deals out the wazzoo for the One and there are still friends of mine who are holding out for a 4. Weird how the tables turn.

Rajang

There have been some good deals though. I really wish they would go down a half bill though. Would push a couple my friends over the edge who are a little tighter with dough.

Yeah, I'm the same.

I'm still waiting for a price cut in Europe. There have not been any good deals here in the Netherlands. The best so far is PS4 + Bloodborne for €399. But I need something way better than that. Alot of the good deals have been US or UK only.

Top Bottom