• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Xbox One has another official price cut. £299

LewieP

How much is WiiU now? Could Xbox lower than a WiiU by the end of the year?

Around £200 for the premium, under £150 for the Basic. Highly unlikely the Xbox One will ever dip below the Wii U in my opinion. Except for perhaps some kind of short term clearance sale or similar.

Amazon is a great estimate, it hasn't been wrong so far.
Amazon's price was £299 Fifa+FH2. It was still cheaper than this official pricecut but it hasn't sold that well. It's 98th on the chart, behind the PS4 GTA bundle at 48 and solus PS4 at 32.

So the likes of Tesco's deal was cheaper and gave more value, you were able to take it home there and then plus heavily advertised on TV. I'd say that would have easily swayed many more to buy from a store than Amazon skuing its ranking over Easter.

If it hasn't been wrong so far, then how do you explain the rise in Halo/FIFA on XBone in the UK charts as even one example of Amazon not being greatly accurate?

It's silly to use RRP for one then not the other in a prediction.

Im talking the key advertised deals over Easter. PS4 was being advertised and lead at £349 with 2 games, the XBone was £280 and under with 2 games and extras. That's the key deals people would be seeing and comparing to each other.

Three

If it hasn't been wrong so far, then how do you explain the rise in Halo/FIFA on XBone in the UK charts as even one example of Amazon not being greatly accurate?

Because they started bundling those games again. The sales for those games then increase as bundles are counted in PAL charts. However that tells you nothing about the sales of XB1 relative to PS4. That does not contradict the amazon charts.

Thought this thread had been bumped from months ago but that does not seem to be the case! If you've paid anywhere near £300 for a XB1 during the past few months without at least one extra like a game or controller, you done fucked up.

Because they started bundling those games again. The sales for those games then increase as bundles are counted in PAL charts. However that tells you nothing about the sales of XB1 relative to PS4. That does not contradict the amazon charts.

You said XBone was struggling in Amazon. Yet in the UK charts Halo/FIFA were high and rising mainly down to the bundles that were out there. So someone must be selling XBones if Amazon aren't. The correlation that Amazon is a good estimate for the market isn't accurate.

AmFreak

They don't have to. PS4 is easily outselling the Xbox One in the UK.
Which is the reason why MS had to cut the price again.
US and UK are the last markets, where MS is fighting.

More like the last markets where they can fight.
I mean £299 is >400€ - in Germany you can get one for 300€.

Ianan

Considering I bought my PS4 not long ago for £250 with Driveclub, Its not enough to sway me. There are plenty of deals in the UK much better than the RRP's.

jelly

So, basically giving retailers a bigger margin. You have to wonder what price they are buying them in for, deals have been better for a long time. MS must have been giving them cut down prices, retailers wouldn't suck up that much difference with bundled games and a cheap price.

If you forget Kinect, Xbox One has only dropped £50 in comparison to the PS4 RRP of £350.

c0de

I bought Ps4 on release day at £ 329...

Ps4 is now £ 289 with bundles if you look around

https://www.gamestop.co.uk ps4 bundles are £ 289 +

Good to see Xb1 be more attractive, was £ 425 on release which was nuts.

Yeah, in Germany anybody buying both systems for the official price by MS and Sony must be dumb because both systems get deals weekly either online or at local retailers.

Three

You said XBone was struggling in Amazon. Yet in the UK charts Halo/FIFA were high and rising mainly down to the bundles that were out there. So someone must be selling XBones if Amazon aren't. The correlation that Amazon is a good estimate for the market isn't accurate.

Did I say XB1 was selling 0 units? Ofcourse if you bundle games the games will see jumps in the charts. You said you think the XB1 outsold the PS4 that's why they announced an official pricecut. You did this with no data. I said it's likely to be the opposite. That the past weeks the XB1 is likely struggling compared to the PS4 and these cuts are a reactionary measure to combat that. I used Amazon, which hasn't been wrong, to show the relative performance of the two systems. The relative position of the two systems has little to do with jumps in now bundled games in the software charts.

I'd love to see an updated component cost analysis and see what profit margins (estimated)

Are like for each company now based on RRP

Dazza

I'm not surprised, it's probably being discounted in all PAL territories. I've quite regularly seen it for sale around my area at equivalent £250 for the console and 3 games, far cheaper than a PS4

Great move. This will definitely get some number going for Microsoft.

Your move Sony. Let's get that price down!

Hilarious when people say " Your move, Sony"

Sony literally have to do nothing. This price drop is because what Sony is currently doing.

Three

I'd love to see an updated component cost analysis and see what profit margins (estimated)

Are like for each company now based on RRP

That would be interesting but wouldn't give a good picture of the overall profitability because consoles are usually loss leader products. MS tend to sell accessories like Batteries (play and charge kit) and Headset Adaptors while Sony include it in the base system. A component breakdown would likely show low margins but MS tend to recoup it by selling owners accessories while Sony don't. They also charge more for a Live subscription than Sony does for PS+. MS may be ok with low profit on the base system if they recoup the difference by other means.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if Xbox is at the point now where people will simply 'wait for the next price cut' until it is really low - like sub £200. Nothing they are doing seems to really spur sales, plus Sony Europe (or retailers) are doing a decent job at also offering discounts/bundles on PS4 to keep the price differential relatively low.

I wonder if Xbox is at the point now where people will simply 'wait for the next price cut' until it is really low - like sub £200. Nothing they are doing seems to really spur sales, plus Sony Europe (or retailers) are doing a decent job at also offering discounts/bundles on PS4 to keep the price differential relatively low.

I think if people want an Xbox One they will buy one. The problem is that Microsoft launched way too high in every region and are only now getting it to the price it should be

ShamePain

Banned
Desperate MS is the best MS. On the other hand no way they're gonna make any money on Xbone this gen, makes you wonder what the shareholders will say about this situation.

Yeah, XB1 has been £250 with games for months now, £230 without games.

While some are claiming to have gotten a PS4 for around £250, that was at a certain timeframe. When I look most times the PS4 is around £300-£350. Any deal is expired quickly but the XB1 is on sale at far more places. I just looked through the last two weeks on HUKD and PS4 was £288 once and £300+ many times while Xbox has been so easy to pick up at around £250 with games most of 2015. Wouldn't surprise me if XBO is catching up some.

Xav

This generation is a repeat of the PS2/Xbox/GameCube era.

The battle for 2nd place is closer than people think. Sony is untouchable.

Unsurprising, at this time of year console bundles are never spectacular, yet every week that passes the price keeps getting lower and more games keep getting added to the bundles. £299 with at least 2 games has pretty much been the norm for a while.

It's about time Sony did something about the price though, there hasn't been any impressive PS4 bundles since Christmas, the few sub-£300 offers that have been around are all just solus consoles or old LBP3 or DC bundles. Anecdotally I've been noticing at work that we've been selling more Xbox One systems than PS4s pretty much since Christmas. If Sony don't bother reacting I think they'll quickly find out how fickle the UK market can be when it comes down to price, particularly considering how many 360 owners haven't upgraded yet.

Yeah, XB1 has been £250 with games for months now, £230 without games.

While some are claiming to have gotten a PS4 for around £250, that was at a certain timeframe. When I look most times the PS4 is around £300-£350. Any deal is expired quickly but the XB1 is on sale at far more places. I just looked through the last two weeks on HUKD and PS4 was £288 once and £300+ many times while Xbox has been so easy to pick up at around £250 with games most of 2015. Wouldn't surprise me if XBO is catching up some.

There's no way in hell the XO is catching up. Maybe, maybe, it's doing better than the 3:2 sales gap it's been up until now, but if it'd outsold the PS4 at all we'd have heard about it.

Frankly, I'd say the fact that it's getting such massive price cuts from stores to shift stock is more indicative of the XO potentially selling worse, if anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Unsurprising, at this time of year console bundles are never spectacular, yet every week that passes the price keeps getting lower and more games keep getting added to the bundles. £299 with at least 2 games has pretty much been the norm for a while.

It's about time Sony did something about the price though, there hasn't been any impressive PS4 bundles since Christmas, the few sub-£300 offers that have been around are all just solus consoles or old LBP3 or DC bundles. Anecdotally I've been noticing at work that we've been selling more Xbox One systems than PS4s pretty much since Christmas. If Sony don't bother reacting I think they'll quickly find out how fickle the UK market can be when it comes down to price, particularly considering how many 360 owners haven't upgraded yet.

No point cutting the price just going into the quieter summer months.

£299 in september. £249 would be massively aggressive and I don't think they need to be. Anything in between (eg £279) is pointless.

Genio88

Not sure, PS4 is selling great and it can be compared to PS2 but i guess Xbone is gonna do way better tha original Xbox did, i think that in the end of this generation both PS4 and One will be pretty close, like PS3 and Xbox 360

Donos

Not sure, PS4 is selling great and it can be compared to PS2 but i guess Xbone is gonna do way better tha original Xbox did, i think that in the end of this generation both PS4 and One will be pretty close, like PS3 and Xbox 360

WW ? or like PS3 and X360 were in NA? Because if you mean WW, there is no chance. Really. PS3 had all other markets to balance out the "loss" in NA. Xb1 doesn't have that luxury. And even in NA MS only manages to gain on the PS4 in 2 months with heavy price cuts and pack in games.

At this point that's a completely reasonable expectation for them to do. I hope they do too, a 8 year generation of consoles was way too much last time.

I hope the developers would follow if Sony stays in the current gen with huge install base.
Should be a hell to make the business cases and decide if next gen is profitable.

AmFreak

Yeah no.
1st place shipped close to double the 2nd place in the same time.
2nd place shipped close to double the 3rd place in the same time.

Kane1345

Good move by MS. I'll pick one up when there are more games I want on it and hopefully by that time the price will be even lower :)

Scotch

No chance in hell.

Considering I bought my PS4 not long ago for £250 with Driveclub, Its not enough to sway me. There are plenty of deals in the UK much better than the RRP's.
Yeah but those deals are based on the old RRP. A lower RRP allows retailers to drop their prices even further as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope the developers would follow if Sony stays in the current gen with huge install base.
Should be a hell to make the business cases and decide if next gen is profitable.

it'll all be PC based engines so even if MS cut things short to get a head start, and Sony stayed with PS4 for a couple more years, publishers could develop across both PS4 and Xbox Two without too much trouble. Way simpler than previous generations.

Its also the reason I think Sony may be able to have a shorter generation too, and keep the PS4 on sale while feeding both with decent first party games.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Has there really been a "war"?
I didn't really think the other consoles had come down much at all.

It's a war in the sense that Wile E Coyote vs Road Runner was a war. One guy going all out to trip up his opponent and the other guy blissfully unaware. . . and still running.

amar212

Such price would still be too high for rest of the EU.

If 300 euros, than okay, but 300 pounds is too much.

Out of thr Euro-zone (currency zone) it becomes even more problematic due to exchange rates and current relation of GBP-Euro-USD

Do Microsoft have anything to reinforce this sales drop? I don't think the platform being a wasteland until Halo 5, (which wont make 3's numbers) will do the platform much good.

LewieP

it'll all be PC based engines so even if MS cut things short to get a head start, and Sony stayed with PS4 for a couple more years, publishers could develop across both PS4 and Xbox Two without too much trouble. Way simpler than previous generations.

Its also the reason I think Sony may be able to have a shorter generation too, and keep the PS4 on sale while feeding both with decent first party games.

I wouldn't be too surprised if both MS & Sony leaned slightly more towards a model along the lines of mobile phones. In 4/5 years time, bring out a new console with the same architecture, but souped up components, and rendering new games at 4k. Old games work on the new console, new games work on the old console, but if you want better iq, buy the new hardware.

Top Bottom