• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls coming to PS4 (pal only for now, US to follow)

Uncharted Collection, Last of Us, GOW 3, The Unfinished Swan, Flower, Flow, Lone Survivor, Hotline Miami, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, and on and on and on....

so many great games that I missed out on last gen as a 360 owner...what a wonderful gen this has been for me.

I wholeheartedly agree. But you forgot Journey, inFAMOUS and LBP.

More? I haven't played Beyond yet but that puts a damper on my hype. Heavy Rain's plot holes were very disappointing for such a narrative focused game.
Beyond has barely any holes if you accept the general sci-fi/supernatural rule that "how stuff actually works" is often not very well explained. If you can look past these sort of issues that come with it then there is not really much wrong with the main plot. Certainly has less obvious issues than HR.

Pachimari

I thought the release date were already confirmed. I hope it'll be this year, and not the February date Amazon have been throwing around.

mtodavk

Very nice. Heavy Rain gets a lot of shit around here, but I actually really enjoyed the game, so I'm looking forward to this. Probably won't check out Beyond though....I remember playing a demo and not really being a huge fan.

Very nice. Heavy Rain gets a lot of shit around here, but I actually really enjoyed the game, so I'm looking forward to this. Probably won't check out Beyond though....I remember playing a demo and not really being a huge fan.

It gets a lot of love as well. Personally can't wait to play Heavy Rain again since the first time playing was one of my most memorable and involving gaming experiences. I'd rank it somewhere among my all time favorite games. I liked Beyond as well to a lesser extent, but my wife really loved it and it's one of her favorite games. I really feel like playing Heavy Rain again after recently finishing Until Dawn so I'll be definitely picking these both up on PS4

Was hoping for a director's cut or something like that to fill in some story. Beyond doesn't flow very well even if you play it in chronological order.

dan2026

After playing Until Dawn, Heavy Rain and Beyond seem like even more of an awful mess story wise. That game did everything they did wrong, right.

Slaythe

As someone who finished the game recently I have no idea why anyone would want to do that.

Because it s retarded and takes away any tension since you know she is fine no matter what.

"wooo nice danger ahead... she s 17, too bad I played her as a perfect 30 years old already...."

It was as bad as Man of Steel. Cant wait to replay this in order.

Massa

Because it s retarded and takes away any tension since you know she is fine no matter what.

"wooo nice danger ahead... she s 17, too bad I played her as a perfect 30 years old already...."

It was as bad as Man of Steel. Cant wait to replay this in order.

Well, death is not the only bad thing that can happen to a character.

DigSCCP

As someone who finished the game recently I have no idea why anyone would want to do that.

Me neither.
I really liked the crazy loop lol
And to be honest I think it must be boring as hell playing Ellies child and teen in a row.
But some people didnt like the loop so its nice that they give the option.

BadWolf

No it doesn't, this would be like saying it wasn't fun to play Big Boss in MGS3 and MGSV just because we knew how his story ended. The journey is what matters and Beyond does have multiple endings.

Me neither.
I really liked the crazy loop lol
And to be honest I think it must be boring as hell playing Ellies child and teen in a row.
But some people didnt like the loop so its nice that they give the option.

This.

Pachimari

I think I'm gonna play Beyond in order. If there's a lot of time skipping and jumping around, I might lose track. Though I never got around to playing my full PS3 version before I sold it.

These games are getting a retail release in Europe correct?

Briarios

Agreed. There are some pretty clear thematic and character reasons for the order that was used. It's kind of obvious when you look back at it.

I think some people don't like it because it's a bit more mentally taxing, because it forces you to organize her life in your head. To me, that's a good thing because
that is what she is going through - it forces you into her head

But, hey, options are good. If people want to play it in a linear fashion, it's nice that it is being made available to them.

LowSignal

While I enjoyed heavy rain, Beyond 2 souls was a huge disappointment. Beyond 2 souls was more like watching a movie than playing a game and not in a good way. Now where is jason!?

Pilgrimzero

Hopefully they fix some of the plot holes of Rain.

Really looking forward to giving Beyond another go. One of my fave games of last gen.

Although, as someone mentioned above, no disc, no buy.

Pandacon

Might check out Heavy Rain. Beyond Two Souls, I played more than enough of that trying to get all the multiple endings...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still surprised I haven't been spoiled on Beyond: Two Souls. Can't wait to play it.

After playing Until Dawn, Heavy Rain and Beyond seem like even more of an awful mess story wise. That game did everything they did wrong, right.

VGpAlRm.gif

Z3M0G

Can't wait to replay Heavy Rain... not sure what I'd do differently though... I played through it the first time on the hardest difficulty to increase my odds of someone actually dying and it was a very satisfying and surprising experience. This time around, I'd need to decide to do something differently... I can't wait to see it running super smooth though.

As for Beyond, one and done. My GF and I played it together... definitely how I'd suggest playing it.

For people wanting to play through Beyond in chronological order, that would be so dull... the jumping around is the only thing that makes it interesting, really.

I liked Heavy Rain for what it was but have held off on Beyond 2 Souls so far, still need details on price/date but I'm at least mildly interested.

EBreda

Until Dawn is the only truly good David Cage game. Incidentally is not by him.
Beyond was a mess and Heavy Rain had awful storytelling that made no sense, IMO.

Until Dawn, on the other hand, is masterful.

Why would this be announced initially as Europe Only? That seems like a VERY BAD thing for PR to have to have dealt with.

No really, I'm serious. Was there not a massive butthurt the last time that Sony published something in only one region and not America? (Hello, Demon's Souls)

Loudninja

Why would this be announced initially as Europe Only? That seems like a VERY BAD thing for PR to have to have dealt with.

No really, I'm serious. Was there not a massive butthurt the last time that Sony published something in only one region and not America (Hello, Demon's Souls)
Dont asked me it was even at E3 psblog messed up.

Dont asked me it was even at E3 psblog messed up.

No, really, why this was announced as EU Only is something Shuhei Yoshida needs to be asked about - Because everything about it is a massive "What were they thinking?!?!!?"

And everything about its announcement for a North American release sounds like a MASSIVE backpedal as opposed to the initial announcement being botched. Shame on people for not calling that out.

dreamfall

Yep, awful storytelling indeed!
2UtvcLp.png

What are you trying to prove with a Metacritic rating? I enjoyed the game, and even Platinumed it. And the story was absolutely trash- horrible writing, stereotypes that bordered on offensive, and gaping plot holes.

An aggregate set of reviews that rated it well really won't tell you that the writing in the game is really awful.

BadWolf

Is it better to play Beyond chronologically or out of order as originally intended? Is there a specific storytelling reason it's this way?

Personally I always play games as originally intended, and after finishing Beyond I have no reason to recommend otherwise.

The story jumping back and forth in the timeline definitely added to the experience and made it less predictable as to what would come next. Instead of having the story (or rather the main character's life) be spoon fed to you from start to finish, you piece it together like a puzzle gradually.

Certinty

Is it better to play Beyond chronologically or out of order as originally intended? Is there a specific storytelling reason it's this way?
Definitely play it in chronological order I think, it will make the story far better than it was originally. Only issue is the pacing of the game will be terrible, and I mean truly terrible, that's probably why they mixed the chapters up in the first place.

Top Bottom