• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Big Boss working under Cypher:

OWaBDHh.png

Big boss working for himself, free from the clutches of Cypher:

o0JEub8.png

Kojima working under Konami:

3WOo2DZ.png

Kojima working for himself, free from the clutches of Konami:

Jd0zTzj.jpg

The way I see it there are three kinds of exclusivity from a consumer's point of view.

(1) First-party exclusives. These are fine, since the game would not exist without the platform owner funding the game.
(2) Third-party exclusives where the game would not exist without the extra funding. These are fine too.
(3) Third-party exclusives where the game could have been funded without the deal. These may be fine for the publisher/developer, but they are definitely shitty for consumers.

It's up to you to decide whether Kojima falls into category (2) or (3). Given that he likes to make expensive games, it's probably (2).

Reasonably speaking, there are only three ways he could have stood up a new studio and funded production of a game on any real scale:

1. An exclusivity deal to gain capital.
2. A deal with a publisher to gain capital.
3. A Kickstarter campaign to gain capital.

I can see the argument for #3, though I think there are some very large reasons why he chose not to do so*, but I don't think the reason he wants to avoid #2 even needs to be said, at this juncture.

*I'm of the opinion that KojiPro is going to need assistance getting their game ready to launch in a timely fashion. That's something you get with Sony--access to Sony's engineers and executive producers--that you don't get with a fully-independent Kickstarter.

The price probably would have also been excessive for a Kickstarter. Keep in mind this is not only the price of the game itself, but the price of the studio, too.

Mrbob

Konami retaliation, really? Lol. Yeah I'm sure they want to sell no copies of PES.

Plus they fired Kojima why do they care what he does next.

THIS IS IT!
This is exactly what I was hoping for.
This is the best thing that could ever happen.

I would like to describe how my body just reacted to this, but it may be too obscene for this place and I'm junior.

Basically:
My body is more than ready.

So excited to watch the video and his beard as soon as I get home.

I love beards.

The salt from some posters in this thread! Holy shit relax and save up for a PS4 if you want to play this game. it will be released in 2-3 years the earliest.

KvnXiVI.gif

Loudninja

So sounds like PS nation was right.

So proud to be part of the team bringing @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN into the family here at @PlayStation
https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/677014402365710336

It has been an honor to work with Andy and @Kojima_Hideo on this. This is one of the most exciting days of my career
https://twitter.com/kazamatsuri/status/677005632638185472
And if you haven't already, give @kazamatsuri the credit for helping get one of the greatest creators @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN into the fam!
https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/677016336267112450

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
How do you think they are funding it then?
If Sony owned the IP in this situation it would be an exclusive, not a "console exclusive." I have no dog in this fight and can't stand the salt either, but this looks like Street Fighter V with that wording.

watdaeff4

It's not about caring for "what reason", it's about being reasonable, is it reasonable to expect Jessica Jones to be aired on NBC?

I don't think you understand what I meant I'll leave it at that. If I was coming across as port-begging that is not the case whatsoever and I apologize if so

Luq

7drHiqrh.jpg

very excited. I never really enjoyed MSG series but I do appreciate his creations - good to see someone giving him respect he deserves

If Sony owned the IP in this situation it would be an exclusive, not a "console exclusive." I have no dog in this fight and can't stand the salt either, but this looks like Street Fighter V with that wording.

Absolutely no problem with that. Sony are clearly helping with the funding for this game like Street fighter V

Fair play to them. Microsoft could have done the exact same thing too but they are too slow to react and obviously weren't hungry enough

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The salt from some posters in this thread! Holy shit relax and save up for a PS4 if you want to play this game. it will be released in 2-3 years the earliest.

KvnXiVI.gif

I think you are even sadder than those "some posters" to be frank.

Anyways, please continue P.T., Kojima. Do not make action games please, we have a dozen of those already out there. Please continue and complete P.T.: there is simply nothing out there like it, a truly masterful creation of horror. Make it episodic, or whatever, just do it please :(

PSY・S;189469667 said:
what the hell is this

One of the Easter Eggs in MGS 3 (removed from Remaster and 3DS version), it's an extremely small piece of what seems to be a character-action game. Was longtime rumored to be a supposed Castlevania idea Kojima had going. Called "Guy Savage" I believe.

Top Bottom