• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

vpance

Yeah no. FF7 is a completely different case. KojiPro is a new, unproven studio. The game is question is not a proven franchise. In fact, the game that they've signed console exclusivity for doesn't even exist yet I'd imagine aside from a proof of concept. So I don't think this deal is Sony paying out the nose to lock exclusivity for something that doesn't exist. It's a partnership. I'd imagine Sony will help with some dev costs and marketing in 2017/18 when the game launches.

Devs cost money, so does marketing, and KP is starting from 0. I don't think a deal in the tens of millions is out the nose really. And by that I mean the total of some combination of marketing, reduced royalties, dev support, and outright cash. Of course it's a partnership but Sony gets out what they put in if the game is good, and an AAA title by Kojima isn't going to birth itself on a budget of $10M.

The cases of FF7, TR or Bloodborne are all different but one thing they have in common is they're all done by studios that are already established. If Sony is helping with them setup the infrastructure and hiring then that's at least $20M right there over 3 years. When Kojima says he's starting out small I still doubt that's going to be anything less than 100 devs.

AmuroChan

Similarly, Konami have no claim over the name Kojima, so they couldn't stop Hideo from opening his Studios any more than he could stop Hideki opening his Sushi (Bar).

Konami used to control the phrase Kojima Productions, but it seems Hideo has managed to come away with that, at the very least.

But they could own the trademark for Kojima Productions, in the same way Apple owns Apple Inc. Maybe Konami really is as dumb as we all think they are, but I would have to assume that they trademarked all of their internal studio names. I think it's more likely that Kojima and Konami just worked out a deal, maybe in exchange for Kojima never being able to say anything about Konami in public for the rest of his life.

But they could own the trademark for Kojima Productions, in the same way Apple owns Apple Inc. Maybe Konami really is as dumb as we all think they are, but I would have to assume that they trademarked all of their internal studio names. I think it's more likely that Kojima and Konami just worked out a deal, maybe in exchange for Kojima never being able to say anything about Konami in public for the rest of his life.
Is that not what I just said? =/

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
speaking of logo, if you love the logo so much then Kojima has preorders open for this

http://kojimaproductions-store.jp/en/

NKyBI8v.jpg

It's legit, Kojima's secretary just retweeted this

prwxv3

Could someone explain to me why PC isn't a competition to PS4? In every one of these Console Exclusive threads you'll see one or two posters going "Fuck this, what's the point in my PS4 when I can play this on PC? I'm selling mah shit!" Isn't that competition right there?

GAF is not the right place to use as evidence. And as of right now PC is not really a major competitor against playststion. Why spend a shit ton of cash to get a full on exclusive (instead of console exclusive ) to get a paultry amount of consumers that primarily use PCs (compared to the console market) not to mention that even if they got these PC gamers for some exclusives they likely won't get them to buy multiplatform games on PS4 or subscirbe to PS+ for long periods of time.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nice, looks like Kenji Yano is back.

Damn Kojima should keep rockin that beard, looks great.

2016-01-1310_41_06-hixcj0g.png

Top Bottom