• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Sephirus

For me the most poignant if obvious news in all this is that Kojima will (I assume) be directing an entirely new game that isn't fucking Metal Gear. The guy hasn't been titled director on a non-Metal Gear project in like...over a decade.

This is what has me so excited. As much as I love Metal Gear, I want to see what he can do without any creative constraints. Whether it turn out good or bad.

Kuni

Big news and a big win for PS. That kind of video announcement is not typical of Sony, this is obviously a huge deal to them.

Love that the studio has the same name and I can't bloody wait! Also commiserations for The Know folks, they got it wrong.

Alo0oy

Banned
If the game is coming to PC, then it's 99% likely that Sony doesn't own the IP & Kojima does, Helldivers is a poor example because it's a small downloadable game. Kojima's game is most likely owned by Kojima with partial funding from Sony in exchange for exclusivity.

That is assuming the game is coming to PC, if Sony owns the IP then I'm 99% sure the game won't be coming to PC.

We'll get a clearer picture in the coming months.

watdaeff4

The way I see it there are three kinds of exclusivity from a consumer's point of view.

(1) First-party exclusives. These are fine, since the game would not exist without the platform owner funding the game.
(2) Third-party exclusives where the game would not exist without the extra funding. These are fine too.
(3) Third-party exclusives where the game could have been funded without the deal. These may be fine for the publisher/developer, but they are definitely shitty for consumers.

It's up to you to decide whether Kojima falls into category (2) or (3). Given that he likes to make expensive games, it's probably (2).

I would argue there is one kind of exclusivity from an average consumers point of view:

In order to play X game; I need Y platform.

Period.

The rest of the nomenclature for fanboy bickering and industry enthusiasts

Ninjimbo

This is really happening then huh? Whatever Kojima ends up creating, I just hope I can get it in my hands as fast possible. I don't want to wait another five years to play a Kojima game.

Knuf

What a news to wake up to.
Well, not that it wasn't expected, but wow, this was pretty damn fast.

Damn, beaten.

5JLblMV.gif

7551231.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
He has terminal cancer. If I remember correctly, his doctors gave him less than a year.

Holy shit, didn't knew it was that bad :(

EDIT: Holy fuck, then that post saying "It's not like he's ever gonna play it"...fuck, that's so tasteless.

Amazing news, Sony sure jumped on this opportunity quick.

But man this platform "discussion" is pretty insane. I feel like recent Sony threads are just littered with port begging. Too bad.

Fjordson

Wow, incredible news. Kojima is one of the GOATS, glad he isn't going away (though no more MGS from Kojima will be sad).

also yo Andrew House is a boss. Didn't know he spoke Japanese.

Jyrii

Banned
I feel bad for Xbox or PC only people, but it is nice that we will see
too early to say probably
a new Kojima game.

What a great news!
Sony have been playing a perfect game of chess, and the PS4 futur seems so bright...
More importantly, I am happy that Kojima San gets this welcome opportunity to resume his creative work. Good luck Kojima Productions!

watdaeff4

It's great that Kojima got back on his feet so fast and is getting back to making games right away, but I gotta be honest, the level of gloating here in the thread is turning a good thing into a petty thing.

Do you follow sports at all?

Think big free-agent signing. Those message boards are much much more passionate about it than this thread.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Sony is publishing, it's their game. Microsoft wrote a check and said don't put it on a sony console for a while.
There is a difference there. One is making games, the other is annoying a fanbase.

There's no need for facts or reason. He's already got his agenda and is so blind by nerdrage that he's already made up his mind about what he would like to be reality.

Alo0oy

Banned
I would argue there is one kind of exclusivity from an average consumers point of view:

Period.

An uninformed consumer is a terrible argument, an uninformed consumer could complain about Google Play not being available on iOS, it is a fact that Google Play being on iOS would be best for that consumer, but that doesn't make his or her complaint any less silly and...uninformed.

im_dany

As an Xbox One owner, I'm not happy for this.
No way any multiplatform publisher didn't make any offer, he chose to make games only for a part of the market.

But the fact that he'll keep making games is great, I'll surely check it out and see if he'll make the PS4 worth it for me.

That's so great :) Only sucks that they could not announce it on their PS event for extra impact. Thx Konami.

But man, from a Foxhound logo to a MSF/Outer Heaven -esque logo. All complete with growing a beard.

The meta is strong.

kavanf1

Great news that Kojima will be making more games. A pity that everyone won't get to enjoy the game, but that's business.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Period.

Sure. I am just saying it because don't see why anyone would should cheer for (3)-type exclusivity deals. They literally have no benefits for consumers other than serving as ammunition in the great console war.

watdaeff4

An uninformed consumer is a terrible argument, an uninformed consumer could complain about Google Play not being available on iOS, it is a fact that Google Play being iOS would be best for that consumer, but that doesn't make his or her complaint any less silly and..uninformed.

Ok so help me out......

If X game is exclusive to Y platform why should I care the reason it is so?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The way I see it there are three kinds of exclusivity from a consumer's point of view.

(1) First-party exclusives. These are fine, since the game would not exist without the platform owner funding the game.
(2) Third-party exclusives where the game would not exist without the extra funding. These are fine too.
(3) Third-party exclusives where the game could have been funded without the deal. These may be fine for the publisher/developer, but they are definitely shitty for consumers.

It's up to you to decide whether Kojima falls into category (2) or (3). Given that he likes to make expensive games, it's probably (2).

With the timing of the announcement so closely tied to his official leaving date, it can surely only be (2) as the game doesn't exist yet.

A game being produced by him may have had the possibility to become a (3) if other publishers got on board, but with Sony investing from the start that doesn't arise

robo

If we assume a 3-4 year development cycle, it'd be at the extreme tail end of the PS4 and maybe cross-gen if we assume the latter half of that.

I'd be surprised if they actually went 7 years again, but it's not impossible.

But what if it becomes a launch title for ps5! Now that would be "interesting" 😁

Top Bottom