• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm going Martell, but yeah I don't like how they all have that same color background.

EDIT: Huh. The Martell sigil for this season is totally different than the previous one they had.

GOT_S4_Martell-BluRay.jpg

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Yeah I thought that weird...than I read one of the comment's that made me hate the show again...

Stannis: What are you reading?
Shireen: “The Dance of Dragons.”
Stannis: What’s it about?
Shireen: It’s the story of the fight between Rhaenyra Targaryen and her half-brother Aegon for control over the Seven Kingdoms. Both of them thought they belonged on the Iron Throne. When people started declaring for one of them or the other, their fight divided the kingdoms in two. Brothers fought brothers, dragons fought dragons. By the time it was over, thousands were dead. And it was a disaster for the Targaryens as well. They never truly recovered.
[…]
Stannis: If you had to choose between Rhaenyra and Aegon… who would you have chosen?
Shireen: I wouldn’t have chosen either. It’s all the choosing sides that made everything so horrible.
Stannis: Sometimes a person has to choose. Sometimes the world forces his hand. If a man knows what he is… and remains true to himself… the choice is no choice at all. He must fulfill his destiny… and become who he is meant to be. However much he may hate it.

I don't know how true this is, but I get the feeling that book readers hate S5 on the basis that they know what was cut and what was changed. To a book reader, these changes seem awkward and unnatural, ruining characters and messing up essential set ups for the story ahead, the story we know to be critically important and truly great.

To a show watcher, these are unexpected twists and ten episodes of gripping television. To a show watcher, the Boltons have replaced the Lannisters as the family they love to hate. To a show watcher, what happened to Stannis Baratheon was a heartbreaking betrayal - he sacrificed the thing he loved most in the world because he felt he had to fulfil his destiny, but he still failed anyway.

I'll just do what I did since season 2 - treat both as the separate yet parallel stories they are.

Dexter's most watched season is its Eighth.

Quantity and Quality are not related. (Hi, TWD.)
TWD has gone up in quality over time. GoT has gone down.

But it's all still entertaining. This show would have to seriously be abysmal for me to not watch it and I don't even think it's possible for it to be that bad.

Jigorath

Banned
TWD has gone up in quality over time. GoT has gone down.

But it's all still entertaining. This show would have to seriously be abysmal for me to not watch it and I don't even think it's possible for it to be that bad.

I disagree. First season was the best when it had Darabont da gawd at the helm.

Jigorath

Banned
well critically reviews have gotten better scores fans seem to mostly agree on all the discussion sites. Darabont peaked in episode 1 lol.

I checked Metacritic and it has seasons 1 and 3 tied for the highest score. Everything else is lower. I stopped watching after season 4 anyways, show just wasn't doing it for me after they axed Darabont.

Moff

season 1, just like the book it's based on, was easily the best of the series
season 5, just like the books it's based on, was easily the worst of the series

metacritic doesn't mean anything

M.Bluth

season 1, just like the book it's based on, was easily the best of the series
season 5, just like the books it's based on, was easily the worst of the series

metacritic doesn't mean anything

Not sure this works considering that the book season 5 is based on doesn't exist.

Iksenpets

Banned
Do the show runners know how disappointing season was?

I think they know some fans didn't like it, and also think those fans are wrong. To them, anything that people didn't like was necessary to fit the story into a season and to make the budget work for their Hardhome episode. Maybe in private they're more disappointed with the season than they let on in public, but in public they admit to nothing.

Also, on this year's covers, why is everyone yellow? I guess I'm buying Martell, because I already have a Targ and I don't want Bolton in colors that aren't even close to right. I wish they had though through these sigil covers better, since I guess no season will ever sell with a Baratheon cover now. :(

I'm just hoping Season 6 picks the quality back up. A lot of people were super down on the show after Season 2 too but then we had 2 great seasons after.

S1's biggest problem is the pedestrian direction outside of the last two episodes (which are still two of the best in the series IMO). Later seasons really upped the quality in terms of direction and cinematography.

S1's biggest problem is the pedestrian direction outside of the last two episodes (which are still two of the best in the series IMO). Later seasons really upped the quality in terms of direction and cinematography.

Yeah the jump in direction with Alan Taylor at the helm was big for the show for the end of that season and forming how the show would be directed in the future.

I loved that dialogue, bet it's straight from TWOW.

It's not the dialogue that's bad. It's the fact that it probably tells us exactly where the show is going and it's incredibly predictable and not very George-like.

Edit: Not George-like in its predictability. At least his prophecies are vague and happen like 3 books in advance.

gutshot

Do the show runners know how disappointing season was?

These kinds of statements are stupid and pretentious because they assume that your opinion of the season mirrors every other fans' opinion.

Tons of people really enjoyed this past season, myself included. The Dorne plot was bad, but everything else was very good, I felt.

bengraven

These kinds of statements are stupid and pretentious because they assume that your opinion of the season mirrors every other fans' opinion.

Tons of people really enjoyed this past season, myself included. The Dorne plot was bad, but everything else was very good, I felt.

Same here. I've only noticed the hate in this forum and maybe a vague comment here and there.

I liked it a lot. The Sand Snakes were lazy, I know they needed to build to a Dorne cold war, but they could have showed one scene in the last episode of Myrcella wandering around the gardens with the girls, then one of them poisons her. Jaime and Bronn spent half the season wandering to the city, then we get a rush of quick scenes that lead to Myrcella's poisoning.

methodman

Banned

I loved it as well. Can't wait for season 6.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I don't know how true this is, but I get the feeling that book readers hate S5 on the basis that they know what was cut and what was changed. To a book reader, these changes seem awkward and unnatural, ruining characters and messing up essential set ups for the story ahead, the story we know to be critically important and truly great.

To a show watcher, these are unexpected twists and ten episodes of gripping television. To a show watcher, the Boltons have replaced the Lannisters as the family they love to hate. To a show watcher, what happened to Stannis Baratheon was a heartbreaking betrayal - he sacrificed the thing he loved most in the world because he felt he had to fulfil his destiny, but he still failed anyway.

I'll just do what I did since season 2 - treat both as the separate yet parallel stories they are.

I'm an original-released-as-they-came-out book reader, and I'm a big fan of both the book and the show, and I loved this season. Because I understand the difference between novels and TV maybe ::shrug:: - so, to a book reader and a show watcher, they both do what they do in their respective formats well, so we both win!

That said, Feast for Crows was my least favorite book by a fair margin, so i actually thought this season of TV was far more entertaining than the book equivalent parts, if that's your criteria for how "good" the show is ::shrug::

JerkShep

If those leaks are true it seems we're getting mostly a season of
cut content

It's baffling to me that they killed Stannis off and now
Jon is doing his storylines (Umber/Mormont alliance, Battle of Winterfell)
What the fuck

NSESN

If those leaks are true it seems we're getting mostly a season of
cut content

It's baffling to me that they killed Stannis off and now
Jon is doing his storylines (Umber/Mormont alliance, Battle of Winterfell)
What the fuck

Same thing with Barristan and Tyrion

Iksenpets

Banned

I'm going to say I don't buy this. It's 90% things we already know, sprinkled with a few little "this character dies in mysterious circumstances" bits. The characters we know little about it barely touches on. Like, no details on the Cersei plot, Tyrion's summary is very vague, built only out of bits we know from casting. Its summary of events in King's Landing consists of nothing but the one plot point that has leaked from Margaery.
Also its call on the bodies on the crosses would be...underwhelming. A guy who died a year ago and you didn't even kill, plus your own dad? No one's going to be demoralized by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom