• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
7pdHQjj.jpg

Game of Thrones is a television series on HBO based on the bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: “If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it’s the word ‘power’ and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process.” In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

The fifth season premieres Sunday, April 12th at 9PM on HBO. The 10 episode season 5 will largely adapt the content from “A Feast for Crows” and “A Dance with Dragons”, the fourth and fifth books in the ASOIAF series, respectively.

HBO’s Press Release on Season 5:
HBO said:
Jon Snow is struggling to balance the demands of the Night’s Watch with those of
the newly arrived Stannis Baratheon, who styles himself the rightful king of Westeros.
Meanwhile, Cersei scrambles to hold on to power in King’s Landing amidst the Tyrells
and the rise of a religious group led by the enigmatic High Sparrow, while Jaime embarks
on a secret mission. Across the Narrow Sea, Arya seeks an old friend and a fugitive
Tyrion finds a new cause. And as danger mounts in Meereen, Daenerys finds that her
tenuous hold on the city requires hard sacrifices.

oS54BD1.jpg

Cast
The cast of Season 5 will be without a few of our beloved members, but not to fret, it’s still the largest cast on TV and there will be a handful of new cast members joining the fray this season. HBO’s cast page.

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Aidan Gillen (Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish), Kit Harington (Jon Snow)
96bnJpd.jpg
zPmPngb.jpg
HTvTWMM.jpg
YNXTkUk.jpg
xdozN3i.jpg
MQioG1Q.jpg

Diana Rigg (Lady Olenna Tyrell), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly)
DfBVsCq.jpg
pkBEbR8.jpg
E0Mjhdt.jpg
YXFvK9V.jpg
axvfQQK.jpg
6Zz9sjt.jpg

Dean-Charles Chapman (Tommen Baratheon), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon), Nathalie Emannuel (Missandei), Jerome Flynn (Bronn)
SB0fHmt.jpg
QBi5Ncz.jpg
uqlikRS.jpg
kzHTXtb.jpg
l2eIS8K.jpg
4FsyaRI.jpg

Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Conleth Hill (Varys), Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane), Michiel Huisman (Daario Naharis), Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton), Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Snow)
WYfcf6Z.jpg
2B1PI2E.jpg
fAWWgCu.jpg
LECbSev.jpg
d3XrfRX.jpg
5Ix2Z91.jpg

Carice van Houten (Melisandre), Indira Varma (Ellaria Sand), Jonathan Pryce (The High Sparrow), Alexander Siddig (Doran Martell), DeObia Oparei (Aero Hotah), Keisha Castle-Hughes (Obara Sand)
GAYF6xt.jpg
uSl7KqQ.jpg
zawin5s.jpg
cmBDd2Y.jpg
SJDX4WF.png
4exDFoH.jpg

Rosabell Laurenti Sellers (Tyene Sand), Jessica Henwick (Nym Sand), Nell Tiger Free (Myrcella Baratheon), Toby Sebastian (Trystane Martell)
T4GVvGO.jpg
gbek6Qs.jpg
kS9WE1W.jpg
dczKtLp.jpg

Crew
The writing staff for season 5 includes David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman, and Dave Hill. The directors of season 5 consists of Michael Slovis, Mark Mylod, Jeremy Podeswa, Miguel Sapochnik, and David Nutter. See the Schedule section below for a breakdown of writers and directors by episode.

B7C7QrX.jpg

Season 5
Game of Thrones returns for its fifth season on April 12th, 2015. The season will once again consist of 10 episodes and they will air each Sunday at 9PM. Once the episodes start airing, I will house a permanent link to content roundups for each episode in this section.

Episodes
501: The Wars to Come (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Michael Slovis) | Content Roundup
502: The House of Black and White (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Michael Slovis) | Content Roundup
503: High Sparrow (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Mark Mylod) | Content Roundup
504: Sons of the Harpy (Written by Dave Hill, Directed by Mark Mylod) | Content Roundup
505: Kill the Boy (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Jeremy Podeswa) | Content Roundup
506: Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Jeremy Podeswa)
507: The Gift (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Miguel Sapochnik) | Content Roundup
508: Hardhome (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Miguel Sapochnik) | Content Roundup
509: The Dance of Dragons (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Nutter) | Content Roundup
510: Mother's Mercy (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Nutter)

hDI7fVC.jpg

Trailers & Promos

Clips

Behind the Scenes

Promo Images

3YZsWIz.jpg

Links

hgJ45.jpg

There are no rules!

Kidding of course, there are a couple rules. Any content from books beyond A Dance with Dragons needs to be appropriately spoiler-tagged. Please use the tag TWOW or ADOS so everyone is on the same page. Also, please spoiler-tag any TV adaption news for upcoming episodes. Although everyone here has read the books, but not everyone wants that adaption spoiled.

BEyGlDE.jpg

Watchers on the Wall
The threads of Game of Thrones come together more neatly and pick up the pace after the season premiere. Momentum is gained as the players plot and the bodies start falling. In forging their own path beyond the books, Benioff and Weiss are finding ways to surprise their cynical audience and like seasons past, viewers are going to thank them for every shock and twist of the knife.
More Reviews will be posted this week.

YMht45j.jpg

• The season starts on April 12th at 9PM, and will continue each Sunday after for 10 episodes.
  • Winter is Coming (for real this time!)

MOD EDIT:
A brief word on how we’re going to handle the Game of Thrones leak going forward:

There’s a passage on piracy in the Terms of Service that is written with respect to Gaming Side, and this more or less gets carried over to the OT for television, music, and other media. If you want to discuss the business implications of the leak for HBO, what this means for them going forward, and the mechanics of how they might have been stolen from the network, this is fine.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get torrent software and the like to work, reviews and impressions of pirated content, talking about how you're currently watching/plan to watch illegally obtained episodes, and anything else like that is strictly prohibited. Obviously, posting spoilers from the leak is going to cop you a lengthy ban, as well. This applies for any television show that we talk about in the OT.

All discussion of this subject is being redirected to this thread. You should not bring up the leaks in either of the two main Game of Thrones threads. The primary reason for this is avoid derailing threads that are intended for discussion of the television show as it airs on HBO as scheduled. We're going to keep those threads on track as best we can.

Hope that makes sense. Please contact moderation if you have specific questions.

Barzul

Another 10 month wait for answers! So what's the reasoning of Dany dropping her ring? Was that a symbol of her being a Khaleesi or something. That's the first thing that jumped to my mind.

No "Bad Pussy" in the thread title?

Another 10 month wait for answers! So what's the reasoning of Dany dropping her ring? Was that a symbol of her being a Khaleesi or something. That's the first thing that jumped to my mind.

I think it was so she could be tracked.

TCRS

Banned
reposting form other thread:

anyway this whole thing is pissing me off now. I want to know what actually happens. I don't think Stannis dies in the books, I don't think Sansa jumps and dies or breaks her (beautiful) legs, I don't think Myrcella dies, I don't think Shireen will ever be burned. That's all just shock value stuff by D&D. That's what I want to believe anyway. Man fuck GRRM and D&D.

D&D are sort of winging it at this point. Can we have Geralt of Rivia in Season 6?
I know Arya regains her sight but man... after NETFLIX's Daredevil, I am so UP for another blind badass

So is Myrcella going to die in the book, and if so, does anyone care?

Well the Queenmaker plot has being seemingly dropped so ... I suppose Myrcella has no issue so she was killed off for DRAMA!

takriel

I think it was a ring from Khal Drogo? Maybe she didn't want them to see it.

Re-posting my thoughts:

So many fucking cliffhangers

The show doesn't show any hope for the watchers. Something the book does (LSH, Jon uttering Ghost, Northern Conspiracy, Varys's plans, Dorne plans)

Branduil

I assumed it was so that AragornDaario would find it later.

Moff

are we seriously having the discussion about jon being dead or alive? are you out of your minds?

I think it was a good finale, about on the level of season 4's. it felt very packed and rushed, but with a lot of highlights
the walk was perfection, even with robert strong at the end, I did not expect that
on the other hand, I expected the pink letter, it's a shame they did not include that great moment. dat benjen tease though, D&D sure love to troll the readers. they did the cliffhanger exactly like in the books, as I expected

stannis scenes were absolutely fine, I loved how they shows the disastrous consequenes of burning shireen, and melisandre bailing out actually gave me a good laugh, her face at arriving at castle black was priceless. I do not belive stannis is dead btw.

arya scene was very good, exactly as I expected last week

theon jumping was dumb. didn't he use a secret way into winterfell in season 2? they should have used something like that. I don't see how sansa needed any help or waited for anybody when she could have just jumped into the snow. killing myranda was good though

dorne was dumb, now enhanced with the dumbest line the show ever had

dany was perfect, just like the walk

varys in mereen made me a bit sad, but unlike the pink letter, at least his scenes with kevan and pycelle will probably still happen in season 6. at the same time, I'd love to see him rule mereen with tyrion.

all in all, this season is very hard to judge as a book reader i think, because of all the changes.
the show watchers seem wo have fewer problems, ranking it quite high compared to the other seasons as I noticed during the week. so I guess D&D have done their job well, because AFFC and ADWD certainly do not rank quite high among the other books, but at the very bottom far below AGOT, ACOK and ASOS.

I think Stannis will say at the last minute he will take the black. The wildlings will rally around him since his ships saved them and he's more their type of leader. They wouldn't have abandoned him due to the burning.

The wall will need Stannis or Jon around. Without either I have no idea what will take place with that storyline other than the it being completely run over by the others.

When you're tracking someone knowing where they were is a pretty big deal.

They'd have to get there in the first place and see the ring which is tiny and lost in some grass. The odds are so ridiculously low. But I wouldn't be surprised, we had Brienne turn her back 5 seconds before sansa lights her candle.

Re-posting my thoughts:

So many fucking cliffhangers

The show doesn't show any hope for the watchers. Something the book does (LSH, Jon uttering Ghost, Northern Conspiracy, Varys's plans, Dorne plans)
The books were just as shitty and grim with the cliffhangers. The show should have done better, but things were incredibly rushed as is. They would have needed to cut more stuff out to avoid it, and they probably should have done so.

Layell

Oysters clams and bad pussy

Doubt the ring could be used to track her. She's in the middle of nowhere, it would just mean they know that she was there, pretty pointless.

The ring surrounded by a hundred horse tracks will most certainly point them in the right direction. I was really saddened by the lack of mental breakdown Dany had.

Enosh

Off-screen Stannis death is suspicious. HE LIVES!
god I hope not, I just want him to find peace after 4 seasons of out of character bullshit, he has suffered enough at the hands of D&D

just hope his book death will be better
granted it's really fucking hard for it to be worse

The drop Sansa and Reek looked absurdly high. I'm pretty sure they're dead

They should be but they're just gonna shrug it off "lol its ok there was some snow" (even though snow just melted thanks to stannis), maybe sansa will have broken her foot and reek be hurt a bit too and then they'll walk off

They fell from a higher height than ramsay's bitch and they had as much or less snow than she had

It's right by a giant pit of bones where a dragon lived. And horses leave tracks. Though finding that area at all is a stretch.
Nah she walked a bit before getting there.

They should be but they're just gonna shrug it off "lol its ok there was some snow" (even though snow just melted thanks to stannis), maybe sansa will have broken her foot and reek be hurt a bit too and then they'll walk off

They fell from a higher height than ramsay's bitch and they had as much or less snow than she had

I've seen such scenes in Bollywood movies and the heroes survive. That's how far we've fallen
lol

Also disappointed that Dany neither drank nor shat.

That sort of "realism" is better left on the cutting room floor. Ruins the tone.

jett

D-Member
We have finally reached the TV/Books singularity.

Is the SPOILERS warning even applicable any more? :p

Zabka

They had a snow drift against the wall. It's possible to fall a hundred plus feet and survive in enough snow.

Like this guy falling from much higher up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYkapHBVs8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom