• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Bandit1

So I guess this is one of the pictures Chevrolet is using to promote the new Colorado diesel:

chevy-colorado-diesel-prev_653.jpg

With all the problems the new Corvette Z06 has had I'm not sure if we're supposed to laugh or cry.

Happy new year.

So I guess this is one of the pictures Chevrolet is using to promote the new Colorado diesel:

chevy-colorado-diesel-prev_653.jpg

With all the problems the new Corvette Z06 has had I'm not sure if we're supposed to laugh or cry.

Happy new year.

That truck looks sweet. The new Tacoma does too though.

I guess I'd go Tacoma just because of resale though.

matmanx1

The Project 7 is pretty cool. It looks like an F-Type from the front but then has some very "Boxster Spyder" like aspects to it as well. It's a shame Jaguar only made 250 of them.

After watching the Project 7 video it just reinforces to me how good Jaguar's V8 sounds. It sounds amazing in the F-Type and then in the Project 7 it's even a little more insane. So, so good.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Project 7 is pretty cool. It looks like an F-Type from the front but then has some very "Boxster Spyder" like aspects to it as well. It's a shame Jaguar only made 250 of them.

After watching the Project 7 video it just reinforces to me how good Jaguar's V8 sounds. It sounds amazing in the F-Type and then in the Project 7 it's even a little more insane. So, so good.

Was just at the Jag dealer today and one of the customers owns an F-Type R Coupe...he had a VERY knowledgeable service dept tech copy the Project 7 software, reconfigure it, and upload it into the customer's standard F-Type R. How awesome is that?

He told me that when I order my XE-S, they can do the exact same thing by taking the XF's 380HP tune and uploading it to the XE. :eek:

mkenyon

Banned
That truck looks sweet. The new Tacoma does too though.

I guess I'd go Tacoma just because of resale though.
No diesel Tacoma though.

I'm thinking of trading in my 5.7 Tundra Longbed for one. Should haul our 3500lb trailer and two horses just fine.

The Jake Brake is fkn awesome for going over the pass too.

Looks like a fully loaded Colorado Diesel is 38k MSRP, and I should be able to get it a bit below invoice. Damn.

Anion

Apparently this is happening.
https://www.instagram.com/p/_xVRY6yuJ2/

The C450 4matic is now the gonna be the C43 4matic.

LOL this is a joke right? I hope it is cause...its going to make MB World AMG owners pissed...

Honestly, it was a matter of time, especially when the SLC took the 450 engine and called it an AMG...
So long with the 1 man, 1 engine philosophy

On a positive note, at least MB finally has caught up and has started to glorify their entire line up with tech and stylishness. Shame they now are using the "AMG" title so loosely

Laekon

I know this is mostly new car discussions but does anyone have an opinion on headlight color temperature? A bulb in my GTI went out and there are like 10 choices from 3000K(yellow) to 300000K(indigo). 6000K is listed as white, which sounds like the smartest, but does going cooler have any advantage or is it just for looks?

Lucius86

Banned
YES!

I own a 2012 XF 5.0 right now and I'm getting either a 2016 XE-S or XF 3.0 Supercharged in April once the lease is over on the older Jag. I test drove the XF-S with 380HP and I quite liked it a lot.

I'm just hoping that the XE-S will be out in time, that's ideally the car we want.

Wow, super jell. I would love a supercharged model but again it's out of my price range and with the amount of miles I do the MPG does matter a bit for me, some serious savings can be had with the smaller engines. One day perhaps after a couple more promotions...

I went into the Jag showroom expecting to lean towards the XE, but I was bowled over by the XF. I think the XE just looks a tad too small for the shape of car it is - this was very apparent inside the car where the XF really felt like a step up.

Having said that, I was in Leamington Spa over the weekend and saw the new Jag XE in the Dark Sapphire colour with black pack - looked beautiful. I think with either model you will be buying a great car. It's good to hear you are going back to Jaguar as well - obviously your existing XF is serving you well!

I have a soft spot for Jaguar. I've never driven one but they are such beautiful, elegant cars and the few customers of late model Jags that I have talked to really love them. I am sure that once you get your car the wait will be worth it!

Cheers :) I'm sure I will post pictures when it arrives, because everyone loves to show off what they just bought.

matmanx1

Was just at the Jag dealer today and one of the customers owns an F-Type R Coupe...he had a VERY knowledgeable service dept tech copy the Project 7 software, reconfigure it, and upload it into the customer's standard F-Type R. How awesome is that?

He told me that when I order my XE-S, they can do the exact same thing by taking the XF's 380HP tune and uploading it to the XE. :eek:

I was wondering about that. Harry also mentioned in his video that the Project 7 uses different camber and toe-in settings on the front suspension to give better road feel. I wonder how feasible something like that would be to adopt to the F-Type (if that's really all there is too it then it should be easy, I would think).

AlphaSnake you seem pretty knowledgeable about Jaguar's cars. Have they been fairly reliable for you? Any weird issues with any of yours? It's still a couple of years off but I would seriously consider owning one in the future (definitely one with the 5.0 V8) as long as they aren't a headache to keep on the road.

Jaguar isn't traditionally known for their reliability but I also know that they are a different company since Tata bought them. How do you feel about them at this point?

AlphaSnake

I was wondering about that. Harry also mentioned in his video that the Project 7 uses different camber and toe-in settings on the front suspension to give better road feel. I wonder how feasible something like that would be to adopt to the F-Type (if that's really all there is too it then it should be easy, I would think).

AlphaSnake you seem pretty knowledgeable about Jaguar's cars. Have they been fairly reliable for you? Any weird issues with any of yours? It's still a couple of years off but I would seriously consider owning one in the future (definitely one with the 5.0 V8) as long as they aren't a headache to keep on the road.

Jaguar isn't traditionally known for their reliability but I also know that they are a different company since Tata bought them. How do you feel about them at this point?

My XF has never had any major reliability issues in the 3+ years I've owned it. No check engine lights, no faults, bad sensors, transmission issues, etc. Nothing. And this car's been through a lot too - it was side-swiped pretty severely back in 2013 requiring a new drivers door, new front 1/4 panel, and new rear 1/4 panel welded in (had all of the work done by a Lamborghini/Ferrari shop).

After getting the car back 6 weeks later, I thought first thing it'd need is an alignment...Nope. Car was pin straight. Even the shop was stunned how perfect the chassis and suspension were. In the back of my head I always thought that eventually all of these faults would come up, but 40K miles on the car and never an issue.

My service department told me that the water pump looked like it may fail in 12-18 months (back in 2014) so they replaced it for me preemptively. No other service dept would do that. BMW would wait until a part ACTUALLY failed and the car was inoperable before replacing something, and usually you were out of warranty by then.

Also, the water pump replacement only cost a surprising $500 total for the car (warranty covered) where as my 335i Coupe would've been $1300 (which is why I sold it, because fuck BMW service).

So yeah, thus far, I can't complain. My XF has been a terrific car and an absolute work horse.

mkenyon

Banned
EVO X knowledgable people:

Are MRs a service nightmare waiting to happen? I hear lots of conflicting things over the internet. Some people swear that parts fail in cold weather (I'll be moving to Bend, OR in the next year). Some people say that the only time you have failing parts is when it's not serviced regularly or you get a lemon. Some people say the SST is gonna fail, though I've also found some places that offer upgrade/replacement parts to make it a bit more bullet proof as well, which I would go after.

Yeah yeah yeah, "get the GSR". If they offered a 6 speed Manual, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I just don't want that kind of drone on the highway. I'm not looking to have a track queen, but something I can toss around on dirt roads while being a secondary DD, and have fun in the snow.

Anion

I know this is mostly new car discussions but does anyone have an opinion on headlight color temperature? A bulb in my GTI went out and there are like 10 choices from 3000K(yellow) to 300000K(indigo). 6000K is listed as white, which sounds like the smartest, but does going cooler have any advantage or is it just for looks?
I think the closer to white, the more light output you get anyways - so it does help a bit if I remember correctly. I would personally get anything in the 5500-6000k range. So go for it

matmanx1

My XF has never had any major reliability issues in the 3+ years I've owned it. No check engine lights, no faults, bad sensors, transmission issues, etc. Nothing. And this car's been through a lot too - it was side-swiped pretty severely back in 2013 requiring a new drivers door, new front 1/4 panel, and new rear 1/4 panel welded in (had all of the work done by a Lamborghini/Ferrari shop).

After getting the car back 6 weeks later, I thought first thing it'd need is an alignment...Nope. Car was pin straight. Even the shop was stunned how perfect the chassis and suspension were. In the back of my head I always thought that eventually all of these faults would come up, but 40K miles on the car and never an issue.

My service department told me that the water pump looked like it may fail in 12-18 months (back in 2014) so they replaced it for me preemptively. No other service dept would do that. BMW would wait until a part ACTUALLY failed and the car was inoperable before replacing something, and usually you were out of warranty by then.

Also, the water pump replacement only cost a surprising $500 total for the car (warranty covered) where as my 335i Coupe would've been $1300 (which is why I sold it, because fuck BMW service).

So yeah, thus far, I can't complain. My XF has been a terrific car and an absolute work horse.

Excellent. Thanks for your feedback. I wonder how they hold up at the 50k+ mile mark which is where it seems like the BMW's and other German cars start having more issues.

AlphaSnake

Excellent. Thanks for your feedback. I wonder how they hold up at the 50k+ mile mark which is where it seems like the BMW's and other German cars start having more issues.

I expect them to hold up just fine, better than a BMW for sure. The reason why I'm confident of that is because Jaguars are not as technologically laden and bloated as its competitors. The infotainment systems are nowhere near as complex as a Benz or BMW - and that's just how I like it. Simplicity is often one of the things critics dog Jags for...but in reality it may be one of its best qualities.

Everything is functional and easy to use. Newest cars operate the OS very quickly now, and there's no pointless wheel scrolls, knobs, tons of buttons around the console, and etc. In many ways, the Jags feel almost Japanese in how they approach the tech and interiors...and again, as an owner of an Infiniti M56S, I love that.

AlphaSnake

You're trying to replace one bulb or both? Factory bulb color is 4200kelvins on V-A-G cars with xenons. If you're replacing both (and you should) anything from 4200 to 5000k range will be a very pure white. 6K will have a blue-ish hue to it. All bulb makers differentiate in how they rate kelvins, though.

And the higher the kelvin rating the LOWER your light output. 14000k and up = black light (the kind you see at clubs, bars, laser tag rooms, :p).

In my opinion, 5K is the best option. I have 5K LEDs in my M56S' fog housings, and they look gorgeous.

Xdye7

EVO X knowledgable people:

Are MRs a service nightmare waiting to happen? I hear lots of conflicting things over the internet. Some people swear that parts fail in cold weather (I'll be moving to Bend, OR in the next year). Some people say that the only time you have failing parts is when it's not serviced regularly or you get a lemon. Some people say the SST is gonna fail, though I've also found some places that offer upgrade/replacement parts to make it a bit more bullet proof as well, which I would go after.

Yeah yeah yeah, "get the GSR". If they offered a 6 speed Manual, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I just don't want that kind of drone on the highway. I'm not looking to have a track queen, but something I can toss around on dirt roads while being a secondary DD, and have fun in the snow.

I've never heard of the cold weather problems. I also can't think of a reason for there to be any.

As far as I know and can tell, properly driven and serviced (and configured, within their limits, in the case of modding) MR's tend not to have problems.

There's plenty of good and bad info out there about the MR's transmission, so search more and search well. Any more specific questions obviously feel free to post em up here or send a PM

Waaghals

Generally I despise the internet's tendency to claim that a car looks "just like" Car B.

However, this is too much even for me. New Mercedes E-Class

It looks just like a larger C-class which looks very similar to a smaller S-class.

Anion

Generally I despise the internet's tendency to claim that a car looks "just like" Car B.

However, this is too much even for me. New Mercedes E-Class

It looks just like a larger C-class which looks very similar to a smaller S-class.
Order from top to bottom
S, C, E
2015_mercedes_benz_s_class_s550_4matic_palladium_silv_in_east_union_washington_4350007438632574658.jpg

199ks94f7simyjpg.jpg

cma60xmxxznpomdpwd0g.jpg

Gotta agree, the E class looks pretty darn similar to the C from the front at least. Rather disappointing, not cause the c/e/s have a bad design, but it is now being overused

matmanx1

Sorry been busy. But here they are.
20151219_103427-2_zpslgboz4wi.jpg

20151219_103813-2_zpstt4zqr8l.jpg

20151219_103236_zpsxkwadslt.jpg

20151219_111914_zpsxvts9jpd.jpg

20151219_111933_zpscrnu3msz.jpg

20151219_105100_zpsxp4skduj.jpg

20151219_105303_zpstqywdf0i.jpg

20151219_105154_zpsg5nehqkk.jpg

Excuse me while I while the drool off of my desk.... Dude, that Skyline is just gorgeous. There is no other word that would suffice. I absolutely love that color on it.

Do you drive it daily or is it just a fun/weekend sort of car? I would love to hear some of your driving impressions/ thoughts on ownership, especially since Doug Demuro just did his whole humorous take on Skyline ownership last year.

matmanx1

Everyday Driver did a nifty little end of the year wrap-up of some of their most asked questions by fans. I enjoy watching Paul and Todd as they are just a couple of regular guys that are also really passionate about cars and happen to make a very good show in the process.

https://youtu.be/3AWJ-bn4I8I

mkenyon

Banned
Everyday Driver did a nifty little end of the year wrap-up of some of their most asked questions by fans. I enjoy watching Paul and Todd as they are just a couple of regular guys that are also really passionate about cars and happen to make a very good show in the process.

https://youtu.be/3AWJ-bn4I8I
I like their videos a lot. The guys dont have any ego or persona getting in the way of what they think. Plus they look at cars that I can actually think about buying.

Excuse me while I while the drool off of my desk.... Dude, that Skyline is just gorgeous. There is no other word that would suffice. I absolutely love that color on it.

Do you drive it daily or is it just a fun/weekend sort of car? I would love to hear some of your driving impressions/ thoughts on ownership, especially since Doug Demuro just did his whole humorous take on Skyline ownership last year.
Thanks. Yeah bayside blue looks pretty good :) Weekend car, I've travelled 13k kms (8k miles) in the past 3.5 years. I purchased it 3.5 years ago, which you can read about here.
Well this car is stock standard, so it's a lot different to how most of the other R34 GTRs drive. It's very reliable, quiet (can't even hear the turbos) and a nice cruising car indeed. I took it to the track once for some fun, didn't abuse the car though, just some quick laps. You can read about that here. I get a few thumbs up driving or sometimes people come to ask questions and take a look when I stop but not over the top like owning a F40 would be :)
Woah baby. How much did she run you? That's dream car territory for me, right there.
Well they're going up in value but you can see some some for sale here. 100k AU roughly 72k USD at the moment. When I bought it, 100k AU = 105k USD!

matmanx1

Thanks. Yeah bayside blue looks pretty good :) Weekend car, I've travelled 13k kms (8k miles) in the past 3.5 years. I purchased it 3.5 years ago, which you can read about here.
Well this car is stock standard, so it's a lot different to how most of the other R34 GTRs drive. It's very reliable, quiet (can't even hear the turbos) and a nice cruising car indeed. I took it to the track once for some fun, didn't abuse the car though, just some quick laps. You can read about that here. I get a few thumbs up driving or sometimes people come to ask questions and take a look when I stop but not over the top like owning a F40 would be :)

Well they're going up in value but you can see some some for sale here. 100k AU roughly 72k USD at the moment. When I bought it, 100k AU = 105k USD!

Very cool. Thanks for the info.

ameratsu

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

2017 Bolt officially announced, Arrives Late 2016

For those keeping track, the production 2017 Chevy Bolt that was just revealed at CES in Las Vegas is, well, pretty much just what we were expecting. As promised, GM claims the EV crossover-ish hatch will have a 200-mile range, and be "affordable." While pricing hasn't been announced, we've posited in the past that "affordable" is code for around $30,000 after incentives.

Edit: Hands-on Video

nib95

Banned
Took delivery of my new car today. Didn't go too crazy as there are a couple of company vehicles available to me that I can also use, but needed something for general personal use, and that my wife could kick about too.

Was deciding between the Audi A4, Jaguar XE and a 1972 Datsun 240Z build. The latter was just too impractical and expensive for what it was, the XE wasn't as spacious as some of the other cars I tested, not in terms of interior space, leg room, nor boot space, and I just felt the Audi wasn't quite as impressive as the others overall.

In the end I went for a BMW 320D Gran Turismo M Sport. Additions were 19" performance alloys, media upgrades and Sport Auto transmission. Picked it because I loved the fact that it had 3 Series saloon style economy, price, handling and performance, but with 5 Series esque size. Very much a best of both worlds type balance, plus the garage gave me a crazy good deal.

Pics.

3_GT_1.jpg~original

3_GT_2.jpg~original

3_GT_3.jpg~original

3_GT_5.jpg~original

3_GT_4b.jpg~original

Believe it or not, it's not much smaller than the BMW X5, at least in overall length. Maybe a few inches at most. Interior space is very comparable.

3_GT_6.jpg~original

Very happy with it. Only negatives are that the steering isn't quite as light as on the new X5 M Sport, and also that it has a traditional handbrake as well (much like the other 3 Series models, and the 4 Series too). Just thought that for the money BMW could have included their electronic handbrake option instead.

Very happy with it. Only negatives are that the steering isn't quite as light as on the new X5 M Sport, and also that it has a traditional handbrake as well (much like the other 3 Series models, and the 4 Series too). Just thought that for the money BMW could have included their electronic handbrake option instead.

Congrats on the new car, looks really nice.

I just thought these two bits were kind of funny, as your negatives here are positives for me. Light steering? Blech! Electronic e-brake? Blech!

I came across a really good channel on Youtube - Petrolicious. They have a lot of great videos, usually featuring older cars, and displaying the deep emotional connection the owner has with the car, which I think is why I'm enjoying these so much.

Aston Martin DBS - Irrational Desire

Dodge Challenger R/T - El Hemi

Nissan Fairlady 240Z - Pure Otaku

Yeah, Petrolicious does some really, really nice videos. Their video on the 250 GTO is stunning, and the engine noise is captured beautifully: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewQaikxTUJs

Me being me, though, my favorite is still one of their earlier videos, Jack Olsen and his 911: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC5-MoDUuRg Now okay, I know, Porsche fanboy, but really what I love about this one is that you get a chance to see all of the different modifications he's done to make the car a universal vehicle and it spends some time on his garage as well, which is like a little slice of heaven.

T_Exige

Took delivery of my new car today. Didn't go too crazy as there are a couple of company vehicles available to me that I can also use, but needed something for general personal use, and that my wife could kick about too.

Great car and license plate Nib95!

nib95

Banned
Very nice, I'd opt for the GT for the rear hatch door too. Congrats and enjoy!

I didn't realise till I tested one that automatic tailgate opening and closing (from the boot or from the keys) was included as standard. On some of the older more expensive BMW models it used to be a paid extra!

Congrats on the new car, looks really nice.

I just thought these two bits were kind of funny, as your negatives here are positives for me. Light steering? Blech! Electronic e-brake? Blech!

Yea, that's the funny thing about cars, it's all super subjective, but I suppose you do get more driver feedback from the slightly stiffer steering. Maybe I've just gotten lazy driving the new X5 lol.

Top Bottom