• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photo shows New Jersey students playing "Jews vs. Nazis" drinking game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aomber

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/photo-s...laying-jews-vs-nazis-drinking-game-beer-pong/

k7urKYY.png

PRINCETON, N.J. -- Police are investigating a photo posted on social media that showed students from a New Jersey high school playing a "Jews vs. Nazis" drinking game.

The photo was shared on Snapchat, where one Princeton High School student captured it and wrote about it on her blog. It shows students playing a version of beer pong dubbed "Holocaust Pong" or "Alcoholocaust." Students can be seen pouring beer into two sets of cups that were arranged in the forms of a Star of David and a swastika.

Jamaica Ponder, the 17-year-old student who blogged about the photo, told NJ.com the students were her classmates.

"They are athletes and student leaders," Jamaica said. "They're prominent individuals that everybody knows, captains of sports teams."

On her blog, Jamaica wrote, "Putting the picture on social media means that someone was proud enough of the game to want to show it off. Meaning that they must be trapped in the delusional mindset that making a drinking game based off of the Holocaust is cool. Or funny. Or anything besides insane. Because that's what this is: insanity."

She called it "indefensible."

"You can't make excuses for stuff like this, just like you can't make excuses for the KKK or 9/11 or the slaughter of 6 million people," she wrote. "Some things are just bad, and this is one of them. Maybe you think I'm overreacting, or that I don't know how to take a joke. If this is a joke, if this is supposed to be funny - well then you'll have to excuse me because I simply cannot drink to that."

The Princeton Police Department said Friday morning that they've started an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the photo, NJ.com reported.

Lt. John Bucchere said that possession of alcohol by minors on private property is not a crime.

"However, if there is evidence that someone bought alcohol for minors or provided a place specifically for them to consume it, that is illegal," Bucchere said.

How does this shit still happen...

High school kids making nazi jokes while drunk is a nonstory, but let's see what we can get out of this.

I hope we can put some names to the faces so it makes college admissions a lot trickier.

Dryk

Not only is this in incredibly poor taste it's probably inherently unbalanced. So why do it? I see no joke nor value in retheming beer pong to be about the Holocaust, I don't understand their thought process here.

PBY

Banned
High school kids making nazi jokes while drunk is a nonstory, but let's see what we can get out of this.

I hope we can put some names to the faces so it makes college admissions a lot more awkward.
I do hope that justice is served.
I do also kind of hope that it isn't served by the Internet - however shitty, I don't know that high schoolers should get the full internet detective/shame thing.

TyrantII

They're dumbass high school kids trying to look edgy in front of their peers.

I don't think a national media flogging is the way to go about this.

But hey, outrage and clickbait.
I hope we can put some names to the faces so it makes college admissions a lot trickier.

Why?

ItIsOkBro

The rules
It's 3-on-3, 30 cups per team. The Nazis shape their 30 cups into a swastika, and the Jews set up their 30 cups as the Star of David. The cups are re-racked to a smaller swastika and a smaller star when 18 cups remain on either team. The Nazis start of the game with a "blitzkrieg," and each player on the Nazis shoots until they miss, but this is only allowed for the first volley. The Jews have the "Anne Frank Cup," and this ability allows them to pick any one of their cups and hide it anywhere in the room, but it has to be shootable, obviously. The Jews can only do that once per game and [it] can be used only during their turn. To equalize this slight advantage, the Nazis also have another ability called "Auschwitz"...The Nazis can pick can player on the Jews team and they have to sit out of the game until the other two players on the Jews team each make a cup. After that happens the 3rd player on the Jews team can play again. Also, throughout the game you are supposed to talk a lot of shit and say as many racist things as possible to make it more enjoyable.

I do also kind of hope that it isn't served by the Internet - however shitty, I don't know that high schoolers should get the full internet detective/shame thing.

I don't see why not; if you're old enough to use the internet, you're old enough to be held responsible when you make a social fuckup.

gcubed

Some things are just bad, and this is one of them. Maybe you think I'm overreacting, or that I don't know how to take a joke. If this is a joke, if this is supposed to be funny - well then you'll have to excuse me because I simply cannot drink to that."

She will have a good future scouring Twitter to be offended

Other than underage drinking, what's the problem here? Arranging cups in Swastika/Star of David shapes for beer pong makes you a Nazi or a horrible person who laughs at genocides?! Has the PC culture went too far?

Highschoolers will do high school stuff. smh.

Edit: yeah read the rules this is bad and in poor taste. But they're..kids. No need to turn this into an internet witch hunt or get police involved..

Based on the holocaust, obviously she is not comparing it to the actual holocaust.
She actually does exactly that, saying its just as indefensible as the Holocaust and 9/11.

But racism going to die off with the old folks.
Racism will only die when the second teammate on the Star of David side finally starts sinking some cups. His partner can't carry the whole team, goddammit.

The rules
That's actually pretty creative, but I bet it gets hard to keep all those rules straight after a few rounds.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm so, so very shocked at the fact that this is actually considered news.

Free speech amirite.

Let's fine them so that Europeans can sleep better at night for pretending to do something about one of the many genocide episodes they've started throughout history, yes.

Hazmat

This seems like some dumb high school kids trying to offensive because they think it's funny. It's disturbing to see people wanting to get their names and faces out there to shame them publicly.

i'm pretty sure i read that half the kids there were jewish. this is more of a maturity, stupid kid kinda thing.

"Ponder told NJ.com she was disgusted when she saw the photo of her classmates, several of whom are actually Jewish, playing the game."

But racism going to die off with the old folks.

where is race involved here?

only posts i ever see from you are racism this or that.

Maxim726X

Of course they fucking shouldn't.

Judgment isn't even fully developed until we reach our mid twenties... Kids in high school do really stupid shit.

hupla

I'm not surprised by stuff like this whenever I see it considering how accepted low key anti Semitism is. Don't think the kids are awful people just that they are dumb and don't know any better and hope they are taught why this can be a hurtful thing to share rather than just being made out to be irredimable

woolley

Well that just seems very lopsided way to play beer pong. It's clearly easier to get the ball in the Star of David. Why would you agree to those rules?

Of course they fucking shouldn't.

Judgment isn't even fully developed until we reach our mid twenties... Kids in high school do really stupid shit.
Shockingly, it's possible to go through high school without being a racist that gets their antics uploaded to social media. Acting like we need to coddle them and passively allowing that kind of racial ignorance hurts, not helps.

trebbble

It is needlessly offensive and the height of white privilege to add such a disgusting racial layer to a simple drinking game. It's creative in the broadest sense of the term, but creativity that is wrapped in hate whether the participants explicitly recognize it or not.

I'm so, so very shocked at the fact that this is actually considered news.

Let's fine them so that Europeans can sleep better at night for pretending to do something about one of the many genocide episodes they've started throughout history, yes.

No let's take them on a trip to Auschwitz and/or Mauthausen and show them the reality of the situation they are making light of.

Obviously much more expensive for americans.

gdt

They are high school kids getting drunk. The literal definition of asshole shit.

How is this a story.

It is needlessly offensive and the height of white privilege to add such a disgusting racial layer to a simple drinking game. It's creative in the broadest sense of the term, but creativity that is wrapped in hate whether the participants explicitly recognize it or not.

what is racist about this?

Maxim726X

Shockingly, it's possible to go through high school without being a racist that gets their antics uploaded to social media. Acting like we need to coddle them and passively allowing that kind of racial ignorance hurts, not helps.

Okay, so ruining their lives from this moment forward (which is essentially what you're advocating- no college will admit them now)?

That seems fair to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom