• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photo shows New Jersey students playing "Jews vs. Nazis" drinking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let their parents handle it, don't embark on some righteous crusade to essentially ruin their future prospects at the age of 16 or 17.

Ridiculous.

I think the parents have been handling it for years. These thoughts don't come from nowhere, they come from being raised in an environment that allows it. To me, it's reacting to a problem with the same solution.

I simply don't feel that's enough. If people don't stand up and produce a result that clearly says "this is wrong", the students will walk away thinking "this is allowed."

Coors Light is good, you guys are crazy. Its definitely the best light beer and is eminently drinkable.
Some things are just bad.

i was thinking that i played some terrible, terrible cards when me and some mates were playing cards against humanity the other day and i'm wondering if that's on the same level these days as this kinda thing
That's different, Cards Against Humanity is just a game.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Holding these children - yes, children - accountable will only stir up real anti-Semetic rhetoric.

Being so outraged over high school shenanigans just proves PC culture is running amok in this country.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's not just tasteless jokes, it's about the encouragement of hate speech. I think that there should be consequences for being a racist dipshit in public, and that arguing otherwise is passively allowing more dangerous speech in the future.

There should be consequences.

Those consequences should not include public shaming in a way that ruins their future prospects for the rest of their lives.

They're dumb, stupid kids. Let the authorities at their school and their parents handle it.

Alternative suggestion that's easier in America:

They need to explain the game and the rules to Holocaust survivors in person.

That sounds like fun.

Why are y'all getting so upset by the underage drinking. In many countries drinking beer is legal from 16 years on, distilled alcohol 18+ and common among minors even years prior. Like it usually starts at 14 or so and in the countryside even sooner.

Jintor

That's different, Cards Against Humanity is just a game.

this is literally a drinking game though as far as i can tell

i mean, i guess the real difference is cad goes through like four layers of irony which innoculates it from actually being offensive or something. i dunno. it seems different but i can't quite articulate why

Jonm1010

Banned
I think the parents have been handling it for years. These thoughts don't come from nowhere, they come from being raised in an environment that allows it. To me, it's reacting to a problem with the same solution.

I simply don't feel that's enough. If people don't stand up and produce a result that clearly says "this is wrong", the students will walk away thinking "this is allowed."

There is A LOT of assumptions going on here that is pushing you toward a conclusion that is giving me pause.

So if the parents have failed as you assume, what then is the internet meant to do here so that the punishment is "enough" as you say?

That would be something the high school me would do...well except for the rules, high school me isn't that creative.

But I don't think is the Internet mob job to lecture this kids and ruin their lifes.

Zaptruder

Banned
I guess these kids think there's enough distance between the holocaust and this current era that they can make light of it.

Protip - best to wait till everyone impacted by the event to the second generation is dead before you think it's buried history.

I mean, if this game were about some other far enough out in the past atrocity (particularly where the people impacted by it are sufficiently dead or diffuse), I don't think anyone would care that much... and if they did, people would just be... really dude?

this is tasteless but it is in the realm of tasteless idiotic shit that i did when i was a teenager before i realized i was an asshole

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Only $7 for a 6 pack?!

Fucking Americans

Case of Milwaukee Special Reserve Ice runs you $13 for 30. It's basically undrinkable to some people. But in college we would get that for drinking games and to throw to randoms, and Lionshead, which is like $15 for 24.

But I think these kids do need to learn a lesson. Privately. And their names shouldn't be released. Not getting into college because you played a really tasteless drinking game when you were 17 is a bit much. I feel like torpedoing someone's life over this is going to teach them all the wrong lessons.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
These thoughts don't come from nowhere, they come from being raised in an environment that allows it.

Kids at that age will always try to cross boundaries just for the sake of it. The decision to choose the holocaust was probably just random. Any similarly provocative behavior would have probably been the same to them. I see no reason to suspect any political message or bad education here. In fact, I'd would expect the opposite: because they know that the holocaust was such a horrible thing, they chose it as their theme, just to be as outrageous as possible.

finowns

this is tasteless but it is in the realm of tasteless idiotic shit that i did when i was a teenager before i realized i was an asshole

Agree with this. I could imagine myself doing this as a 16 year old. I would probably get some odd looks if I tried to get a game of Jews vs. Nazis going at my current age.

TraBuch

Banned
Thank God twitter and instagram wasn't around when I was in high school. Although I guess Myspace was big. Now that I think of it, I guess I did post some underage drinking pictures on Myspace. Huh.

Jintor

No. It's hate speech.

what separates it from me playing a "the jews" card to a real bad question card in CAD though? is it that CAD offensiveness is laugh at how inappropriate it is and move on?

I'm not saying this drinking game isn't some tasteless shit.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Kids doing dumb shit involving alcohol, extremely shocking. Extremely.

Expel them out and throw in juvi for a few years.

Edits are acting weird AF on mobile.

Thank God twitter and instagram wasn't around when I was in high school. Although I guess Myspace was big. Now that I think of it, I guess I did post some underage drinking pictures on Myspace. Huh.
Agreed. Not condoning things like this, but... they're high schoolers. They deserve to be punished, not publicly shamed on social media.

If the foul shit I said as a high schooler came to bite me in the ass as an adult, I'd be fucked.

Holding these children - yes, children - accountable will only stir up real anti-Semetic rhetoric.

Being so outraged over high school shenanigans just proves PC culture is running amok in this country.
Agreed. This is the definition of PC offense culture taking it too far. Teenagers saying and doing bone headed things isn't anything new for the past few centuries.

They're dumbass high school kids trying to look edgy in front of their peers.

I don't think a national media flogging is the way to go about this.

But hey, outrage and clickbait.

Why?

Because anyone who isn't a perfect citizen their entire lives deserves to be punished forever. Many liberals claim to be entirely different than conservatives but their ideas of justice can be just as warped and regressive as evidenced by threads like these.

Yep. Dumb kid stuff. This is a nonstory.

This is only a story because we fixed all the real problems. Oh we didn't?

Should someone tell them it is not OK? Yes.

Does the nation need to harass them? No.

Is every night of Cards Against Humanity going to be under public scrutiny now?

what separates it from me playing a "the jews" card to a real bad question card in CAD though? is it that CAD offensiveness is laugh at how inappropriate it is and move on?

I'm not saying this drinking game isn't some tasteless shit.
I think the main difference is that the game gives you protection from accusations of racism. You were given that card randomly, and the game was made by somebody else. It's harder to accuse you of being a racist because you didn't make the game yourself.

I would say they're basically the same though, which is why this whole story is pretty ridiculous.

Sounds like every single episode of south park except with older students.
Including Kyle's mom bringing the story to CBS News when she finds the boys playing the game.

It's a shame, but what can you expect those symbols to mean to a bunch of teenage Americans except shapes in a drinking game with added "shock" humor?

darscot

As long as no one gets hurt what people do in private is not my business. I wouldn't pass judgement on anyone for this. It's kinda clever in a stupid way.

fastmower

Absolutely. Overzealous PC culture can do lasting harm, IMO. Context and critical thinking are important, people.

MisterR

Yep. News flash. Teenagers do stupid, offensive shit to attempt to impress their peers since forever. I don't think they need to be denied college educations due to a moronic drinking game. Hopefully they will grow up, like most teenagers do, to be embarrassed about stupid shit like this.

Dryk

I think the main difference is that the game gives you protection from accusations of racism. You were given that card randomly, and the game was made by somebody else. It's harder to accuse you of being a racist because you didn't make the game yourself.
I generally, more cynically, view CAD through a lens of someone giving you a racist joke button and daring you to push it. It's like the entire project is an exercise in figuring out how much you have to abstract the telling of racist jokes before people will absolve you of responsibility for telling them.

Apath

It's in poor taste and a bit insensitive, but I'm not really offended by that. I've experienced much worse casually.

I'm not saying to put them in prison or get the pitchforks ready but they need to be disciplined for sure -- what they're doing is insensitive regardless if they're 'young dumb teenagers'.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I'm 18 and I didn't do dumb shit like this nor would I imagine most teenagers would (at least the ones I know).

I just feel the 'dumb teenager' card is played way too often instead of some real discipline and education. But hey, what do I know -- maybe I'm naive after all...I just don't see how this is 'normal' at all and should just be written off as 'stupid'.

drexplora

The main issue seems to be that some Americans have taken offence to a swastika.
Not that a bunch of kids are underage and getting fucked up!

"Lt. John Bucchere said that possession of alcohol by minors on private property is not a crime."
"However, if there is evidence that someone bought alcohol for minors or provided a place specifically for them to consume it, that is illegal,"

I love laws....

Wag

Alternative suggestion that's easier in America:

They need to explain the game and the rules to Holocaust survivors in person.

In the Holocaust Museum.

Young people are disconnected to this- they think it's so far off it will never happen again:

Elie Wiesel came to speak to my NYC public high school class, when the bell rang for lunch everyone ran out of the room (he was still speaking). I was the only one who stayed- I am Jewish...

In the Holocaust Museum.
And all of the Holocaust survivors are holding portraits of Anne Frank. With her birth year and death year emphasized in big text at the bottom of the portrait.

And their parents have to watch and sob out of shame the whole time.

And they have to watch a video recording of the whole thing every day, lest they forget.

And the video recording will be intercut with footage of other Holocaust survivors.

BradC00

The 4chan/Reddit generation.

I remember hearing about something like this when I was in high school, 13 years ago. There are tons of different variations of beer pong. I agree this one is probably the most "offensive" but it's not even that bad IMO.

edit: minus the part about saying racist shit. that sounds like it was added by someone wanting to cause a ruckus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom