• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

I really don't understand why the matchmaking in this sometimes tells me "you will join the next available battle" and asks me to wait two and a half minutes with no option to back out of the menu or even hit the home button. I usually end up just turning the console off.

Seriously, they need to allow you to back out of the lobby as long as the matchmaking isn't finalized. Many times I accidentally click to continue playing after a match and have no option to rescind. If i wanted to change gear or weapon, nope have to play another match. Or the the lobby just won't fill up and you're just stuck there until they cancel you out.

Ansatz

S rank is full of people with no brains while I keep getting kicked out from S+ every time I rank up because I'm not familiar with the different map metas.

Like Urchin Underpass splatzones just baffles me how all 4 on each team go to their left side of the zone and try to out-ink each other until specials fill up at which point I'm fucked because I'm neither a bubble boy nor kraken. I had to waste a derank to learn this particular map/mode and which weapon I should use but then I'm back down again. I wish I had S+ immunity so I could play with people who know what the fuck they're doing, it's not fun enduring 2 frustrating days of S just to get 2 hours of S+ out of it. I've ranked/deranked 6 times now in roughly two weeks... I'm neither having fun nor learning new things in S rank, it's only a painful process.

StAidan

@Moskito, not sure if you have any of Team Manmenmi on your friends list but my nnid is StAidan.

@all of Team Manmenmi, I do plan on being in Discord VC but it'll probably be on my iPad since my dang streaming box isn't powerful enough to stream+VC at the same time. Hopefully the sound quality will be OK anyway...

Ansatz

Like just now the other team had an e-liter on camp triggerfish while we had no sniper, so I try a flank with my trusty tentatek. While I'm on the bridge to cross over I notice the sniper is aiming at me, so I'm hiding behind the yellow cover thingys and he can't touch me there. I'm just standing there pretending I want to go for the flank, effectively rendering the e liter useless. This gives my teammates a fair 3v3 duel at the zones which they won and while the score is ticking in our favor the e liter insists on keeping the aim on me. If this guy was on my team I would be furious lmao. In this case preventing the flank (me) was an ineffective move and cost them the game.

Like just now the other team had an e-liter on camp triggerfish while we had no sniper, so I try a flank with my trusty tentatek. While I'm on the bridge to cross over I notice the sniper is aiming at me, so I'm hiding behind the yellow cover thingys and he can't touch me there. I'm just standing there pretending I want to go for the flank, effectively rendering the e liter useless. This gives my teammates a fair 3v3 duel at the zones which they won and while the score is ticking in our favor the e liter insists on keeping the aim on me. If this guy was on my team I would be furious lmao. In this case preventing the flank (me) was an ineffective move and cost them the game.
That's pretty lulz :3 tunnel vision is a terrible condition to have...

Jeeves

My man. One of my favorite tactics in turf war is to waste the other team's time, see how many players I can keep distracted and out of my team's way. Yesterday I had two snipers stuck at the bottom of the conveyor ramp way off to the side in piranha pit. I had them detained for the last third of the match because I kept inking the belt and wouldn't let them come back up...they could've super jumped somewhere else but noo they were so sure they could get me.

I can't always outgun them, but I can keep them out of the game.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
GAFHouse 4 has concluded and our winners have been decided in what has been a crazy night. Some initial delays to get things started, things mostly went by smoothly. In the end though, there can only be one winner, and that winner is:

Team Manmenmi!

who narrowly beat out #krool4smash4 in a close 4-2 Bo7 finale.

Thank you to everyone who tuned into the stream and participated. I hope you all had fun, and if you have any feedback, please let me know either here or on Discord.

Without a doubt though, the best highlight tonight came from an insane reversal win by Team #krool4smash4 agains Sushi Cola on Tower Control Hammerhead. It is well worth a watch!

https://www.twitch.tv/toadsili_t/v/61075698

These are definitely something I'd participate in again. I'm kinda sad that the one time I switched weapons, it didn't work out. Next low-power tourney is definitely seeing some Custom Jr love. =D

leroidys

I don't like splat zones because it totally flattens the otherwise deep and nuanced gameplay and balance.

The scope of pressure and control is severely reduced, because you are either running the clock down or you aren't. That factor is so important that it totally minimizes the affect of zoning and reducing opponents options. Basically you're either winning or not. There's much less give and take.

This serves to greatly minimize weapons options as well, especially (it seems, I haven't played in a long time until now), with the increased range on snipers. It's so easy to camp a splatzone with a sniper rifle, and the splatzone is the only place on the map that really matters, so range and DPS are over-emphasized. As a squelcher user, this really sucks. This is an oversimplification, but it's basically get a charge weapon or roller, or GTFO.

Some maps are worse than others. The campground one is actually pretty fun (in fact, splatzones is better on this map than rainmaker IMO), but museum, port mackerel, and hammerhead bridge are such basic carnage pits that it makes me just turn my console off or play something else.

I dunno, just my opinion, probably greatly influenced by someone that plays with squelchers.

EDIT: I will say that I greatly prefer splatzones with > 1 zone. Then there's the possibility of longer stalemates and more strategic decisions around which channels to attack, and which areas to prioritize or provide backup in. With one splatzone though, it's always all-hands-on-deck for the splatzone, or maybe spawn camping.

Teammate disconnected three matches straight when I tried to climb back to A+ today. Glad they fix the rank system so I only got -11 total for those matches. Also I finally realize how great run speed up is, one main ability changes everything.

Without a doubt though, the best highlight tonight came from an insane reversal win by Team #krool4smash4 agains Sushi Cola on Tower Control Hammerhead. It is well worth a watch!

Oooooh lawd. This match though, generated copious amounts of salt.
I never see a match I play in get streamed, but it's interesting because I feel like I wasn't really much of a help at critical moments in the match looking back at it.
But hey it was fun. :3

Neoxon

GAFHouse 4 has concluded and our winners have been decided in what has been a crazy night. Some initial delays to get things started, things mostly went by smoothly. In the end though, there can only be one winner, and that winner is:

Team Manmenmi!

who narrowly beat out #krool4smash4 in a close 4-2 Bo7 finale.

Thank you to everyone who tuned into the stream and participated. I hope you all had fun, and if you have any feedback, please let me know either here or on Discord.

That match was insane. I'm glad that I was a part of it.

leroidys

BTW, thanks for all the advice on the last page everyone. Went from B- to solid S in 3 days :D

My setup is a little weird though. I've been using the custom Jet Squelcher with ink resistance so that I can run away much more easily to restore some distance between me and my opponents if they get too close, and yesterday I was experimenting with tenacity. It goes a long way to make up for the slow special charging, and I find myself popping out krakens all the time.

I used to use Tenacity to Kraken as much as possible, but I am constantly dying since I prefer to distract as many opponents from the objective as possible. I switched Tenacity to Comeback and I haven't been dying as much hahahah. Go figure.

In that twitch link I saw a video titled "Flying Eagle" What does that mean? I didn't see anything standing out in that Rainmaker match in Kelp Dome.

I used to use Tenacity to Kraken as much as possible, but I am constantly dying since I prefer to distract as many opponents from the objective as possible. I switched Tenacity to Comeback and I haven't been dying as much hahahah. Go figure.

In that twitch link I saw a video titled "Flying Eagle" What does that mean? I didn't see anything standing out in that Rainmaker match in Kelp Dome.

Flying Eagle just means that the Rainmaker carrier grabbed the thing and went to win the game in a single life and very short time.

Ogodei

Flying Eagle just means that the Rainmaker carrier grabbed the thing and went to win the game in a single life and very short time.

There's a term for that? I did that today on Kelp Dome. First to grab the rainmaker, jumped off the center platform and made my way straight to the goal, sub-30 second match.

Oddly i ended up bottom ranked, even though there was one player who was 0-1 on my team.

I have to stop letting this game get me so angry when i'm doing poorly. It diminishes the pure joy of moments like that.

ffdgh

Oddly i ended up bottom ranked, even though there was one player who was 0-1 on my team.

I have to stop letting this game get me so angry when i'm doing poorly. It diminishes the pure joy of moments like that.

Oh that's because the game ranks you on how well you did based on the past 10 games or something now instead of just splats.

EulaCapra

I am REALLY feeling those Splat Charger nerfs. It's sort of hard to adjust after maining it just recently.

Oh well. It's a fair trade-off if that means seeing more variety. I've seen a lot more Squelchers and Splatlings just dominate Chargers now. And now I can finally go back to my first love, ROLLERS!

Toadsili T

Neo Member
There's a term for that? I did that today on Kelp Dome. First to grab the rainmaker, jumped off the center platform and made my way straight to the goal, sub-30 second match.

As Triforce141 mentioned, it's basically when you're able to quickly grab and dunk the Rainmaker in a single life. The term was born out of a joke-turned-realisation during a friendly scrim between NSTC and xlt, and it's stuck with SplatGAF ever since.

Oh well. It's a fair trade-off if that means seeing more variety. I've seen a lot more Squelchers and Splatlings just dominate Chargers now. And now I can finally go back to my first love, ROLLERS!

Seeing more variety is a nice thing, but it's taking some getting used to with Sloshers and Inkbrushes everywhere. Haven't had to seriously deal with their playstyle in any real capacity for a long time. All in due time.

leroidys

One question about the custom jet squelcher setup- is there any point to the burst bombs? Even getting two square hits with them doesn't seem to KO, and then I'm out of ink. I literally never use them now. Am I missing something?

Kito

Burst bombs are to either create chip damage or be a finishing move (or ink walls or push others, but splatting others is the issue here) . Getting a splat purely with burst bombs almost never works, and it's not the intention of the sub anyway - even more so with the recent nerf.

ss-hikaru

I thought getting squidbagged was pretty bad but last night after I splatted someone I had a teammate head to their inksplat and squidbag...on my behalf? I'm sure it annoyed the person I splatted and it annoyed me too, like are you trying to take credit for my kill? It was a level 9 scrub (not alt) as well. Seemed to be a lot out kids out last night, had a couple just run off spawn into the water at mahi mahi and just jump around outside spawn on warehouse.

J@hranimo

Banned
Burst bombs are to either create chip damage or be a finishing move (or ink walls or push others, but splatting others is the issue here) . Getting a splat purely with burst bombs almost never works, and it's not the intention of the sub anyway - even more so with the recent nerf.

Or to build the last bit of my burst bomb rush meter from far away if I don't feel like dropping down to a lower level. Also helps with using my burst bomb rush from above :D

Honestly New Burst Bombs >>>>>>>> Old Burst Bombs and not even for the spam reasons.

Nico_D

I thought getting squidbagged was pretty bad...

What annoys me the most are the laggy players who squidbag. Like, "squidbag away after teleporting around making it impossible for me to hit you - you really deserved that kill".

There are days when there's nothing but squidbagging squids. I don't even bother to hunt them down, I just change room. To run into another one.

Edit: I also agree with Jah about BB's. I like them much better than the older ones.

Kito

Or to build the last bit of my burst bomb rush meter from far away if I don't feel like dropping down to a lower level. Also helps with using my burst bomb rush from above :D

Or be a hit marker / acoustic point sensor. Can't think of anything else.

StAidan

I got my viewpoint of GAFHouse 4 up on YouTube. Thanks Toad for running the event, it was fun! I struggled a lot because I'm bad at turf war and because the random map selections mostly ended up being some of my worst (Hammerhead, Flounder, Moray? RNG pls.)

The 4 sets I played are linked below, but if you want to just cut to my personal highlight of the tournament, watch this round first, on Kelp Tower Control versus Sushi Cola:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_OgAsXdr4k

^^ I got 18 kills in that round, but I also had some amusing deaths, like Jah catching me twice with killer wail, Azure nope-ing me out of their doorway as I stepped in front of our splash wall, and sniping me and Smashley off the tower when I really had no business riding the tower at that point in the match.

GAFHouse 4, Set 1 - Manmenmi vs Krool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEVB7ChdN5I

GAFHouse 4, Set 2 - Manmenmi vs Swabby Control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5koyB_PDeY

GAFHouse 4, Set 3 - Manmenmi vs Sushi Cola
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX23SjJREbY

GAFHouse 4, Grand Finals - Manmenmi vs Krool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeEbibxK2ko

StAidan

The silly thing is that my performance was so mediocre in just about every other round in the whole tournament. Kelp TC was basically the only combo where I thought, "oh yeah, I can do well on this one." (Oh wait, the Ancho-V Zones one in the finals was good too. Maybe I should highlight that one.)

And really, most map/mode combos I'm pretty decent at. The map selection RNG just screwed me over and over again for this particular competition, I felt like. lol.

J@hranimo

Banned
Aidan you played super well in the GFs. If you never said you didn't play as well prior I wouldn't have believed you.

Thanks for putting these up though. Seeing that Kelp TC match unfold was crazy but in retrospect I personally played better than I thought I did :p You were a monster with the splattershot.

Tijmen

I need to blow off some steam. Don't get me wrong, I've loved Splatoon ever since it first launched and it has been an absolute blast throughout. I also did get the weird map/mode rotation at first, but I just don't see the point in it anymore a year after launch. How come there's visually room for a third map? And why are we still tied to play the same ranked mode for hours on end on the same two maps?

In the beginning all maps were new and fresh and I was actually excited to learn every map thoroughly, but now I just feel like playing the game mode I want on a larger selection of maps. There's no reason not to implement this 'feature' (it should've been a standard to begin with). Please, someone enlighten me why this whole nonsense is still going on!

Ogodei

What annoys me the most are the laggy players who squidbag. Like, "squidbag away after teleporting around making it impossible for me to hit you - you really deserved that kill".

There are days when there's nothing but squidbagging squids. I don't even bother to hunt them down, I just change room. To run into another one.

Edit: I also agree with Jah about BB's. I like them much better than the older ones.

Aye. Normally i'll stick out a room in turf wars even if i'm doing terribly, but ending up with a squid partier on my team will make me leave.

I'm now convinced that Splatoon uses the same netcode Mario Kart uses, there is no way someone can survive 4 suction bombs they were standing on that blew up in rapid succession, unless latency is involved, then it's very possible.

TBH, I felt like I played the worst out of Team Manmenmi. Then again, I blasted someone from Krool of off the tower and into the abyss when they bubbled on Moray. Looked like Smashley saw it because someone was laughing.

Ogodei

Splatzone in Walleye Warehouse is just frustrating, far too chaotic compared to some other stages.

Slid 22 points tonight :-/, but i did continue to build my charger skills in turf wars.

Moondrop

Banned
I hate calling anyone out, but I think tonyh24613 owes us more details about this corcoro scan. :p

Based on that hype I've been practicing vanilla roller. Throwing suction bombs past your foe to force an approach is sweet and simple. Killer wail I find so meh, though I don't deny it can be clutch.

I hate calling anyone out, but I think tonyh24613 owes us more details about this corcoro scan. :p

Based on that hype I've been practicing vanilla roller. Throwing suction bombs past your foe to force an approach is sweet and simple. Killer wail I find so meh, though I don't deny it can be clutch.

It's a Silhouette of a splat roller, but there's an add-on on it, looks like a vertical stabilizer.

Top Bottom