• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Nico_D

Next EU Splatfest]

I'm fine with that as long as the next EU Splatfest is

Gillian%20Anderson.jpg

vs.
dc240900e8593bfd_rachel-mcadams.xxxlarge_2.jpg

Moondrop

Banned
Ugh, this makes me feel even older than the Pokemon splatfest did.

Is Gillian Anderson vs. Rachel McAdams just supposed to separate the old from the young?

Nico_D

Ugh, this makes me feel even older than the Pokemon splatfest did.

Is Gillian Anderson vs. Rachel McAdams just supposed to separate the old from the young?

Or drooling idiots from babbling baboons?

Nonetheless, I wouldn't be able to choose one. I'd be probably forced to vote one with my main and the other with my alt account and try to keep win/loss balances equal.

No joke this is the best splatfest yet. Fuck transformers.

The only one that comes close is waster slides vs roller coasters.

Pirates vs Ninjas was cool too.

ChrisD

Tempered Dynamo can get wail in about 15 seconds with ~16 points of special charge up. It is probably one of the more legitimately terrifying things to have pop up behind a seeker if you're not paying attention a lot. Also it's a Dynamo alternative for port. Did I mention that it gets wail very often?

I think Tempered Dynamo has a place.

Edit: the guy in this twitter video has a ton of special charge up, but I think it's still pretty lolz: https://twitter.com/Riora_take/status/720073403995033601

Special Charge Up, got it.
Send Seeker in one direction use Wail in another, shoot Seeker down another direction. >:)

Patrick >>>>> Spongebob

Unicorn

Why isn't the Nickelodeon options Gak vs Slime?!

I mean, this feels like a 90's Nickelodeon styled game to begin with, so the tie-in splatfest is welcome, but why not have orange gak vs green slime?!

J@hranimo

Banned

I mean, this feels like a 90's Nickelodeon styled game to begin with, so the tie-in splatfest is welcome, but why not have orange gak vs green slime?!

Because all those 90s kids (including myself) have grown up and are paying taxes or student loans :p

Current day Spongebob is still pretty popular. Even though I associate with the first 3-4 seasons of the show, I'm still gonna get a kick out of more miiverse pics and posts haha.

Jeeves

I really don't understand why the matchmaking in this sometimes tells me "you will join the next available battle" and asks me to wait two and a half minutes with no option to back out of the menu or even hit the home button. I usually end up just turning the console off.

ss-hikaru

Interesting to see the reactions to the Spongebob splatfest. I thought it would be more popular :p

I really don't understand why the matchmaking in this sometimes tells me "you will join the next available battle" and asks me to wait two and a half minutes with no option to back out of the menu or even hit the home button. I usually end up just turning the console off.

I don't understand why sometimes when I try to join a friend's game I wait for the match to finish and then it just chucks me in a random lobby. And it's not because my friend left the lobby, most of the time they are sitting right next to me going wtf why are you not in my lobby. Other times if the lobby is too full then I just get told to wait some more which makes more sense to me.

EulaCapra

Orange vs. Green was one of the few Splatfests I missed. It looked so pretty. Don't know why they don't have it as a default color combo.

Nightii

Banned
That feeling when they buffed Slosher but nerfed Burst Bomb..
The Burst Bomb changes synergize great with Slosher, though.

More damage and new blast radius + Slosher's new hitstun = More consistent and lethal burst cancels.

They simply balanced the new efficiency by increasing the ink cost, which is fair, imo.

ChrisD

Splat zones are fucking garbage. The bane of my existence.

This was how I thought a few months ago. Now it's the only Ranked mode I feel like I can play for more than ten minutes without getting stressed out.

Splat Zones > Rainmaker > Turf War > Luna Neo Blaster Control

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Now that Echolocator's been nerfed I decided to try going back to Ninja Squid, which I haven't used since a few weeks after launch. Been having a lot of success with it... I'm finding a lot of people don't expect it now that almost no one uses it. Been getting quite a few kills I know I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

champloo

More damage and new blast radius + Slosher's new hitstun = More consistent and lethal burst cancels.

They simply balanced the new efficiency by increasing the ink cost, which is fair, imo.

That's good to know.. but I also relied heavily on Burst Bomb for quicker traversal and inking the area beneath my feet. I guess now I can't just instantly claim a platform by spamming 4 Burst Bombs.

backlot

Hitstun?

Moondrop

Banned
Now that Echolocator's been nerfed I decided to try going back to Ninja Squid, which I haven't used since a few weeks after launch. Been having a lot of success with it... I'm finding a lot of people don't expect it now that almost no one uses it. Been getting quite a few kills I know I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
I too think the conditions may be right for the return of ninja squid. Plus it's on some of the freshest clothes. But I'm not sure what weapon it suits best...

Inkbrush makes a lot of sense to me because you still can turn on your jets and flee at top speed. And carbon deco too so you can better use seekers to approach.

Referring to this:
△Increased the time a player who has been hit suffers reduced movement by about 26%.
But it's not quite accurate to call it "hitstun" as that generally refers to the property in fighting games in which your character is completely incapacitated after being struck, enabling combos.

J@hranimo

Banned
Sloshers should have played like this in August. A few weapons that got buffed in this patch should have played like this Day 1 of their release.

Slosher Deco feels pretty good now :)

Why would anyone hate Splat Zones? Tower Control and Rain Maker feel too random to me.

Some people hate trying to defend a certain area as the main objective. Once you cap the zones, you need to defend for the remainder. Compared to Tower Control and Rainmaker where the main objective requires you to constantly push forward, there are variables that make the other 2 modes BS like Kraken and Bubble cheese on the tower, and the Rainmaker itself being a bit too teammate dependent.

But Smack Zones........... I hate this mode so much.

That, and Nintendo pls, can we get something other than Museum Zones? Regardless of the mode sucking, or the map having some weird design in the mode combo, why does it appear so often in rotation, it's almost as bad as ye old Flounder 24/7.

If you're going to reply to this post saying "But Museum Zones is good or free to win" that is beside the point, my argument is not that the map/mode sucks, it's that why does it appear so often.

ffdgh

Why would anyone hate Splat Zones? Tower Control and Rain Maker feel too random to me.
I like when the action is constantly moving. Being spawn camped in zones is painful lol. Rainmaker is the best and blaster control is fun depending on the stage.

ChrisD

Oh yeah, Museum SZ is lame. I don't hate it, but not a fan of that mode/map combo.

Best map for it imo is Walleye Warehouse. I've had more comebacks (and have been comebacked on...) more times in that map than any other. Which is good! Means that it's not impossible to get back.

Like on Moray Towers.
In any mode.
Ever.

Edit: Oh, the Fest will run for 30 hours. Timezones, other countries, and all that. Hope the new system works out better for everyone this go 'round! You're looking at a whole extra 25% of Splatfest. :eek:

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Rainmaker >>>>>>>> Splat Zones (on maps with 1 zone) > Tower Control >>>> Turf War > Splat Zones (on maps with 2 zones)

I basically only in Twin Squid Squads with my wife. In Rainmaker, it's easy to get two awful teammates who don't know what to do BUT I'm pretty good using the RM offensively and my wife knows the best paths, so the two of us can drag others along if needed. It feels like we have more control over wins (and the oh so frustrating losses!), which is why its my favorite by far. I just wish it would show up in the rotation more often on times that were convenient for us to play.

Nightii

Banned
But it's not quite accurate to call it "hitstun" as that generally refers to the property in fighting games in which your character is completely incapacitated after being struck, enabling combos.
It's indeed not a perfectly accurate name to use, but I couldn't think of a better one lol.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Update on GAFHouse 4

Teams have now been finalised!

Thank you to everyone you signed up in the end. Excluding one person who had to change plans, we had a total of 17 signups. This was just enough to push us over the 4 teams of 4 players mark, with 1 extra player leftover, who will be acting as a sub for one team.

Without further ado, I present the finalised team list, along with my working to show how the teams were balanced:

Finalised1.png

Finalised2.png

EDIT: If teams could quickly come up with a Team name today, that would be great! Otherwise you'll be stuck with my horrible naming conventions. >:p

To keep the ranks fair, and to not bar everyone who signed up from participating, I'm invoking a special rule for Team 3; Blues1990 cannot be subbed out at any time.

For FULL Tournament details, please see my original post

Now that we have four teams, the Round Robin Structure will return to that originally planned; see below.

Good luck to everyone, and have fun!
-----

Tournament Format:

All game modes will be allowed at any stage of the tournament, including Turf War. Please be excited, as well as prepared!

Teams will play each other using a Round Robin format, where every team plays every other team once. Each Set will be a Best of 5. Game Modes for each set will be randomly determined using the Discord bot “DannyBot” using the !random mode command prior to each set playoff. All playoffs for that set will use the same rules. Stage will always be set to random.

For an idea of the round robin play, please see this image from GAFHouse 3:

RoundRobinFormat.png

Wins and Losses will be recorded over the course of the entire round robin. The top two teams will then playoff in a final Best of 7 Showdown, again using random stage and mode generation.

In the event of ties in the round robin score, performance between the two teams in question will be factored in to decide a winner.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Trying to use Hydra Splatling and Ninja Squid at the same time wasn't such a good idea. I think I almost run faster than I swim at this point. lol

Malus

I'm surprised I can actually be competent with the Heavy Splatling considering I normally play the mobile, sneak up on people game. Strangely more effective on small maps than big ones.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Why would hydra need ninja squid? You're gonna be hanging out in the back most of the time anyway.
KuGsj.gif

Hey, you never know when it might come in handy >.>

I actually just forgot to switch out my shirt, then just decided to roll with it. I'm actually not doing too bad with this build lol

Geg

Up to S 72 on my climb now, I actually haven't lost a game since Saturday lol. I just really don't like solo ranked and only play in short bursts

Blues1990

To keep the ranks fair, and to not bar everyone who signed up from participating, I'm invoking a special rule for Team 3; Blues1990 cannot be subbed out at any time.

Huh. This will be incredibly weird. Still, I'm looking forward to the tournament, as it looks to be a blast to play. I've finally adjusted to the changes with the Burst Bombs, so it's going to be fun to see how our teams will cooperate.

ChrisD

And like clockwork, after complaining (or just mentioning in this case) on GAF, the issue resolved! Not sure for how long, but Wi-Fi is working again so I can play.

Had my game freeze on me though. When I went to change Equipment it just... Stopped. Was still playing music, and my Inkling was still moving in the lobby menu screen, but it wouldn't take me to the menu. Had to reset.

Patch your patch!

CO_Andy

I know right? Never through I could be aggressive with an ink brush.
With the old Ink Brushes you'll either be zoned out from a distance or you'll be played around like a pinball cause who the hell thought an Ink Mine and Bubbler would be ideal for the shortest range weapon in the game.

J@hranimo

Banned
My new favorite thing to do in squads or random turf lobbies is to stack 36 points of special saver with perma inkbrush
:^)

It's completely unnecessary but I still like doing it.

Top Bottom