• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Toadsili T

Neo Member
I'd like to send out a friendly reminder to everyone that signups for GAFHouse 4 will close today. Currently, there are only 13 signups for the tournament, which is only enough for 3 teams without subs. I may leave registrations open until the day before the tournament just to see if I can get enough for a 4th team.

The Signup sheet can still be found >HERE< (Quote to see). I'd love to see more people participate! : )

----

On another note, it recently hit me that this update will make several memes listed in my SplatGAF memes post completely redundant. E-Burst Bombers are RIP, Ink Mines can't kill friendlies, and Splash Walls have dethroned the Inkzooka as the Greninja of Splatoon, just to name a few.

But... Pink Gold Dynamo kinda happened, Tentatek might not be as strong anymore for Zooka with the Special nerf, the Putzstrike might actually be a viable tactic, and Museum Zones has secured itself a place as "new 24/7". Man, how things change...

Blues1990

I've seen it happen exactly once

Same. It happened when a teammate had placed a mine, and all three had gone up in ink when it set off. This was practically my reaction when it happened:

tumblr_npenk3Auu81uxxlalo1_540.gif

leroidys

Welcome back!
The Dual Squelcher is a great weapon, but most people favorite the Splattershots.
Yep most people don't paint the base. What can I say. It isn't very exciting. I paint the base.
I always like Swim Speed Up.

The theory as I understand it is that map control is most important, and whoever gets splatted first should paint the base when they respawn. That said, I try to fire a few shots sideways as I head mid.

I've found that inking the base after you get splatted the first time to be more useful, It really feels like whoever gets the farthest on the first charge makes a difference on how the match goes.

DS used to be really popular but has fallen out of favor for the following reasons:
1. Nintendo increased the points required to build echo, making it harder for DS to build special
2. The coldblooded meta happened, making echo less useful
3. .96 Gal Deco released.

So now days people prefer to play other shooters in the DS's range group (really just .96 deco)

.96 Gal, Splattershot Pro and DS all have the same range. Out of these DS has the highest time to kill and requires the most shots to kill (.96 (2) > SSPro (3) > DS (4))

It's in the middle accuracy wise SSPro > DS > .96

Its advantages over the other two are that it has the highest run speed, highest ink efficiency, and best ink coverage. The problem is that it has a slower ttk and that it can be pretty hard to land 4 hits on people in a game with such high mobility.

Most people try to gain control of the middle of the map early and then paint their side of the map throughout the game.

Builds depend a lot on what weapon you are using. For DS you might want to go with some run speed up to maximize your mobility advantage over .96 and SSpro. You might also want to consider some special saver to help you get more echos off, since it can be hard to build echo since the nerf, and defense up could help you have time to land the fourth shot in some situations, but with defense up you'll generally want to stack a lot of it.

Awesome responses, thanks all :)

Ansatz

I'm very impressed by the changes in this patch, especially how the charger works now. Basically if you manage to outplay a charger, their ability to take you out when they are at a disadvantage is severely reduced. This means less short range trades or lucky burst bomb spamming. At the same it will be harder to actually outplay them due to the long range improvements (faster charging/higher range)

Overall Splatoon has become more tactical now I feel with this patch, so winning a duel is more about being clever than twitch skill based. Positional mistakes etc. will be punished more often now.

When you're at work for 7 more hours but all you wanna do is splat

Since I can't check myself, could someone let me know what the prices are on Sheldon's Picks? I have a feeling I'm gonna need to save a boatload of cash.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Been using Cold Blooded pretty much since the beginning, gotta find a new shirt ability after that nerf. Guess I'll stick with Quick Respawn for now. Sigh...

J@hranimo

Banned
The new bamboozler has heavy gauge depletion...does not compute.

I thought that at first, but when you use it it builds meter relatively quickly. Also, when you throw bombs out with the ink radius buff it covers more so it adds more to your meter.

If it didn't have heavy depletion it would be getting inkstrikes pretty quickly.

ffdgh

I thought that at first, but when you use it it builds meter relatively quickly. Also, when you throw bombs out with the ink radius buff it covers more so it adds more to your meter.

If it didn't have heavy depletion it would be getting inkstrikes pretty quickly.

Nzap 89 is light...

Nightii

Banned
When it was first revealed, the Soda Slosher seemed to be quite underwhelming to me, a bland kit that only served to outclass the poor Sloshing Machines, but after playing it with the Slosher buffs...

It might be soon to say it, but right now it might be my second favorite weapon (regular Slosher is king). It's pretty darn good without being too cheesy like Tri-Slosher, the combination of Splat Bombs and the fire rate buffs allows me to approach battles from interesting new angles, and the added hit stun to sloshes makes trapping people close to my bombs a joy lol, and Inkzooka also builds very fast on this than with the Sloshing Machine, so I get to go nuts more often during matches.

Overall, I'm pretty damn happy with this patch, many of my dear buckets got sweet sweet buffs. Now to dream of a buffed Sloshing Machine with Suction Bombs and Killer Wail for Pack 2...

J@hranimo

Banned
When it was first revealed, the Soda Slosher seemed to be quite underwhelming to me, a bland kit that only served to outclass the poor Sloshing Machines, but after playing it with the Slosher buffs...

It might be soon to say it, but right now it might be my second favorite weapon (regular Slosher is king). It's pretty darn good without being too cheesy like Tri-Slosher, the combination of Splat Bombs and the fire rate buffs allows me to approach battles from interesting new angles, and the added hit stun to sloshes makes trapping people close to my bombs a joy lol, and Inkzooka also builds very fast on this than with the Sloshing Machine, so I get to go nuts more often during matches.

Overall, I'm pretty damn happy with this patch, many of my dear buckets got sweet sweet buffs. Now to dream of a buffed Sloshing Machine with Suction Bombs and Killer Wail for Pack 2...

Dude, like 99% of all slosher players were underwhelmed and yet it's godlike with the slosher buffs lol. I knew the opinion would change when it dropped.

ffdgh

I really think I like the Dynamo with seekers.

The swim speed nerf fills me with despair, however.

I'm still not used to not being able to throw out 4-6 burst bombs but I love the increased blast radius. Makes burst bomb rush much more useful.

Still feels weird that the splash-o-matic now has more range than the jr now lol.

Kito

In response to the dynamo nerf I've replaced my usual 9pts of ink rec with swim speed, so I'm always wearing the Cream shoes now. In RM, I'll swap one QR for swim speed.

Dynamo builds have been pretty free, with surplus QR as it didn't really need anything. Swim speed or special saver can easily slot in.

Moondrop

Banned
The permanent inkbrush is pretty cool. It's nice to have offensive options, both ranged and melee. But on the other hand, splat bombs and kraken do not a powerhouse make. And I wonder, at least for me personally, if the offensive sub/special combo detract from the sneaky mindset one needs. Think I'll focus on my bubble brush game.

Hail hydra indeed. This is such a huge buff, but I barely know how to use the weapon other than to hide behind cover and step out once charged. Gonna work at it.

The slosher feels better, but my results with the deco were not amazingly improved. Maybe that's on me though. ;)

The berry splatershot pro (BSP? proberry?) is a menace. I might purchase the forge as I love point sensors.

StAidan

Perma Inkbrush has the kit I always wanted for Octobrush, personally. I'll probably try picking it up (and legit spending a lot of time with it) soon.

Azure J

I'm very impressed by the changes in this patch, especially how the charger works now. Basically if you manage to outplay a charger, their ability to take you out when they are at a disadvantage is severely reduced. This means less short range trades or lucky burst bomb spamming. At the same it will be harder to actually outplay them due to the long range improvements (faster charging/higher range)

Overall Splatoon has become more tactical now I feel with this patch, so winning a duel is more about being clever than twitch skill based. Positional mistakes etc. will be punished more often now.

Kinda curious as to what you mean by this.

EulaCapra

I'm really liking the orange Mini Splatling, the Fresh Squiffer, and the Wasabi Splattershot sets. I want to like the new Bamboozler but it's hard for me to switch from charge shot to Burst Bomb since it takes multiple shots from either anyway. Permanent Inkbrush is nice in some stages, but I would've preferred Bomb Rush or Echolocator. Berry Splattershot Pro has a nice set but still takes up ink pretty fast for me. I might like Soda Slosher, but I'm still privy to classic Slosher and Slosher Machine for now.

They weren't kidding around with the Charger range nerfs. As a Splat Charger, it felt weird seeing this thing ink out a trail only as long as the Squiffer's. Oh well, anything to chip away at Burst Bomb E-Liters.

Ink Mines are finally in your control! Like, you don't have to pray you put one down and wait a couple of seconds to see if it did anything. You can finally play defensive mind games with it! Definitely has been easier landing splats with it. And it's pretty ink-friendly.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
An Update on GAFHouse 4:

As of April 13, there have only been 14 signups for GAFHouse 4. Unfortunately, this is only enough for 3 teams, with two players left over. If I get one more signup, I'll just make it three teams of 5 (4 players + 1 sub). This will still allow for a round robin style play, although one team will have to sit out at each set as a bye.

However, since it's going to be underwhelming having three sets of games and then a grand final between two of the three teams, I may just increase the total number of games between each team so each team plays each other twice. The winner would the be decided by the total number of wins across the entire round robin, with tiebreakers settled depending on the relative number of wins between the two teams in question. In the event of an complete tiebreak (wins between the two tied teams the same), a final showdown Bo1 game will be played to decide the winner.

I've left the signup sheet open to see if things change between now and April 15 AEST (April 14 EST).

Regiruler

An Update on GAFHouse 4:

As of April 13, there have only been 14 signups for GAFHouse 4. Unfortunately, this is only enough for 3 teams, with two players left over. If I get one more signup, I'll just make it three teams of 5 (4 players + 1 sub). This will still allow for a round robin style play, although one team will have to sit out at each set as a bye.

However, since it's going to be underwhelming having three sets of games and then a grand final between two of the three teams, I may just increase the total number of games between each team so each team plays each other twice. The winner would the be decided by the total number of wins across the entire round robin, with tiebreakers settled depending on the relative number of wins between the two teams in question. In the event of an complete tiebreak (wins between the two tied teams the same), a final showdown Bo1 game will be played to decide the winner.

I've left the signup sheet open to see if things change between now and April 15 AEST (April 14 EST).
What were the rules for this thing again? I may be marginally interested.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
What were the rules for this thing again? I may be marginally interested.

The original ruleset can be found in this post. Regarding the matches played, I'll edit the post proper depending on signups.

I'm aware of the irony of implementing a "meta" ban when the meta has shifted significantly with the latest update; I penned it in before dates and details of the changes were announced. On the plus side, it should allow for some of the newly buffed weapons to really shine!

House Wi-Fi ain't working. Not being able to try New Dyno is killing me.

Is it good?
Tempered Dynamo can get wail in about 15 seconds with ~16 points of special charge up. It is probably one of the more legitimately terrifying things to have pop up behind a seeker if you're not paying attention a lot. Also it's a Dynamo alternative for port. Did I mention that it gets wail very often?

I think Tempered Dynamo has a place.

Edit: the guy in this twitter video has a ton of special charge up, but I think it's still pretty lolz: https://twitter.com/Riora_take/status/720073403995033601

Jims

Really liking the Berry Pro. The buffs to the weapon really helps it. It might just be a placebo effect, but the gun really does feel snappier now when shooting.

The changes to the vanilla Slosher are great. The slightly quicker fire time plus the Burst Bomb change makes it much more reliable with its burst canceling. With the new damage calculations, it only takes 2 Damage subs now to minBurst + Slosh (assuming no Defense). I think it was 1+1 before. Didn't notice a huge change in the hitstun, however.

Bomb Range Up doesn't synergize as well with Burst Bombs anymore. Maybe it's just a Slosher thing with its range, but I didn't find it as useful to have all that range when I could only throw one or two of 'em.

ffdgh

Bomb Range Up doesn't synergize as well with Burst Bombs anymore. Maybe it's just a Slosher thing with its range, but I didn't find it as useful to have all that range when I could only throw one or two of 'em.

Bomb range up is still good. Works great with the new bamboozler and burst bomb rush now.

Jims

All the Wasabi Splattershots out there is messing me up. I keep expecting Suction Bombs and Inkzookas everywhere. Also those Inkbrush Krakens keep surprising me. They build special so fast! Saw a Special Charge Opening Gambit Inkbrush that was terrifying.

Bomb range up is still good. Works great with the new bamboozler and burst bomb rush now.

Could just be a Slosher issue. It gets good results at mid-range but that's all the consistent success I could get with it... Miss that first Bust Bomb and the enemy has run away. That Bamboozler seems like the kind of weapon that really benefits from it, though. I wonder how Bomb Range is on the new Mini Splatling? Could see that being great as well.

J@hranimo

Banned
Man, so I finally used the Kelp Splatterscope for the first time since 2.7.0 dropped. The pre-charge range reduction is kinda real, but the full charge range makes up for it. Makes sense since I was getting blasted on The Pit TC from splatterscopes in places I didn't think were possible @_@

CO_Andy

All this time playing Splatoon since launch and i just came to the realization that there's actually a clear advantage playing a Brush standing up.

Doing something as simple as jumping, flinging ink forward, and then inking your feet (to maximize ink coverage) is fairly more difficult to do when sitting down (cause your legs are in the way in reaching the full motion of swinging the pad down). Also it's much easier to do jump attacks and pivot.

Kito

House Wi-Fi ain't working. Not being able to try New Dyno is killing me.

Is it good?

Vanilla is still my preferred one. Dynamo doesn't have the manoeuvrability for wail positioning and quickly escaping after the cooldown. It's also too loud to be stealthy with seekers. Even with all that though, purple's fun as hell to use and I'll take it to max ink :D

Doorman

I wish they were kidding so badly.

I'd just been joking a day or two ago about us getting another sponsored splatfest, but..not like this...not like this. I already don't like the show, the plaza memes are gonna be ridiculous, and...ugh, at least let me vote for Squidward or Plankton or something other than the two worst characters.

My spoons are RATTLING.

Top Bottom