• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

After watching live gameplay at the Nintendo world store today I can say it looks way better in person than on the streams and YouTube videos. There were some pop in issues and some ugly shadows but it looked really good to me. It put my worries to rest about the Wii u version being super gimped. The screens released may not look stellar but in action it is a sight to see. Also, it's super colorful!

RagnarokX

Thanks, I knew it was somewhere in the Southeast.

Aonuma often does get mistranslated, so it is possible that they meant to talk about shrines. Those columns don't really look much different from the other stuff we've seen.

I didn't see all of the shrines, but there was a later level with rotating platforms, and that seemed to use the runes a lot. I thought you only acquired special items for the first few shrines, and the rest just give you spirit orbs.

Are you talking about those diagonal towers? I could definitely see those being tied to 4 dungeons, although those could be the 4 hardest dungeons you face, as is tradition in the Zelda franchise. If that's the case, there probably isn't 13 dungeons, but maybe just something like 7 or 8, with the last 4 being the ones that let you get into the castle. The 15 regions could be unrelated to the number of dungeons in the game.
I don't think it was a mistranslation. The word dungeon is on them so they are technically dungeons. They're minidungeons.

You need to do the first 4 shrines to leave the plateau and each one gives you a rune. The shrine with the rotating platforms you saw is from later in the game. You don't get a rune in it, but it uses the runes. You get a spirit orb for every shrine. They said the later shrines can become huge and really complex. Some focus on puzzles and some focus on combat.

Yeah, I think the diagonal pillars are helping keep Ganon contained and you need to do a dungeon associated with each one to get to Ganon.

I don't think it was a mistranslation. The word dungeon is on them so they are technically dungeons. They're minidungeons.

You need to do the first 4 shrines to leave the plateau and each one gives you a rune. The shrine with the rotating platforms you saw is from later in the game. You don't get a rune in it, but it uses the runes. You get a spirit orb for every shrine. They said the later shrines can become huge and really complex. Some focus on puzzles and some focus on combat.

Yeah, I think the diagonal pillars are helping keep Ganon contained and you need to do a dungeon associated with each one to get to Ganon.

That's a nice theory, but it seems that they are not required to beat the game.

in Theory you could challenge Ganon as Soon as you leave the initial area.

RagnarokX

That's a nice theory, but it seems that they are not required to beat the game.

in Theory you could challenge Ganon as Soon as you leave the initial area.

They didn't say that specifically. They said you could head straight to the goal without doing anything else and revealing the story. It's possible the dungeons are required but you don't get the whole story unless you do the shrines, and thus the dungeons are part of heading straight to the goal.

Alternatively, the dungeons could be crucial to making Ganon more beatable.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013

Just watched the last 2 shrine videos, I really wouldn't call them maze-like, it's more of a string of similarly themed puzzles based on the runes (like before). They don't seem deep enough to replace full sized dungeons, but rather are simple puzzles to fill up the overworld (unless they do get substantially more complex, as you said).

"Dungeon" only means one thing to English speaking Zelda fans, so maybe Miyamoto said something in Japanese that isn't so specific. They often say things that don't translate perfectly to english.

They didn't say that specifically. They said you could head straight to the goal without doing anything else and revealing the story. It's possible the dungeons are required but you don't get the whole story unless you do the shrines, and thus the dungeons are part of heading straight to the goal.

Alternatively, the dungeons could be crucial to making Ganon more beatable.

I'm going with this line of thinking.

However I would like diferente endings depending how much you uncover of the story. Even if just little touchs.

MajorMane

eea52bb089103283a51d31f50b8e72ea.png

oh my god

After watching live gameplay at the Nintendo world store today I can say it looks way better in person than on the streams and YouTube videos. There were some pop in issues and some ugly shadows but it looked really good to me. It put my worries to rest about the Wii u version being super gimped. The screens released may not look stellar but in action it is a sight to see. Also, it's super colorful!

How did the framerate feel?

Luigiv

Now, I'm not usually optimistic about Zelda titles having tons of dungeons like the rumors always say, but I genuinely think that there will be 13 dungeons, 14 if you count Hyrule Castle. There's a rumor floating around that BotW will have 4 dungeons, and it has some credibility because it said that there would also be 100 mini dungeons. However, I think that basically all Zelda rumors are fake, and it's not too wild to guess that there will be a ton of mini dungeons. There's also the possibility that the leaker thought there were 4 dungeons instead of 14, but that seems unlikely.

The rumour was:

4 Main dungeons
100+ Mini Dungeons
A big emphasis on weather

We already know 2 of the 3 points are correct. Smart money would be to assume the remaining point is likely true too.

Gsnap

So unless Epona's setup is such a non-story beat, I don't imagine it being that different.

It probably won't be much of a story point. Looks like we'll be able to tame any of the wild horses. So potentially we could get one of those white horses, which is of course much different than Epona.

Diffense

I think it's smart that Aonuma has still managed to sneak in a tutorial while making players think there's no tutorial. Yes, he has removed the handholding and the forced exposition but you're stuck on the Great Plateau until you get the glider and that's so that you can be introduced to the game's systems before being let loose. The player doesn't feel held back though, because they still have a lot of freedom within that sandbox.

On another note, this Zelda probably has many influences but I can't help but see a lot of Xenoblade. The possibility of Xenoblade influence is raised by the revelation that many Monolithsoft developers are assisting with Zelda: BotW. The games have a similar spirit in that both take place in ruined worlds and they share a theme of dangerous ancient machinery. Even the title screens communicate the same atmosphere; the remains of the Guardian and Mechon are in roughly the same places.

I'm OK with this as Xenoblade is one of my fave Wii games.

BTW
http://nintendoeverything.com/monol...ght-and-open-to-helping-other-nintendo-teams/
Tetsuya Takahashi of Monolithsoft said:
On tips for the Zelda Wii U team…

Yokota: So as it turns out, in the development of this game we had a lot of opportunities to prepare reports and feedback on the technology and the different kinds of problems that we encountered. When we’re able to share those documents internally, they’re going to go to all the other teams so they’ll be able to draw from them and I hope that those guys working on that game will be able to benefit as well.

Yeah, the Great Plateau is totally a tutorial zone but oddly it's completely willing to kill you, which probably muddles that perception a great deal. A fiery Boko club is one of your worst enemies in the early game because it'll destroy any shield you can get at that time and take off a ridiculous amount of damage if it connects.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The rumour was:

4 Main dungeons
100+ Mini Dungeons
A big emphasis on weather

We already know 2 of the 3 points are correct. Smart money would be to assume the remaining point is likely true too.
I still don't trust it.

100+ mini dungeons isn't a surprise, many people thought that there would be a ton of mini dungeons. If they had specified what these dungeons would be like then I would believe it.

The devs have said that weather conditions will effect the way you traverse the world, but we still don't know how big that change is. It's not very hard to predict that there will be different weather conditions, those are common in open world games.

ReyVGM

Bill mentions you can sell your weapons at one point :)

Also looked like you can grab butterflies, wondering if there will be fishing rods and bug nets or it will all be catching by hand...

I saw Link grabbing a butterfly in one video, so I guess the net will not be in. Unless you can get one to make catching bugs easier?

I think it's smart that Aonuma has still managed to sneak in a tutorial while making players think there's no tutorial. Yes, he has removed the handholding and the forced exposition but you're stuck on the Great Plateau until you get the glider and that's so that you can be introduced to the game's systems before being let loose. The player doesn't feel held back though, because they still have a lot of freedom within that sandbox.

I dunno, they said you could get to the goal right away if you wanted to. My guess is that once someone finds out a cooking recipe to increase the stamina meter, they'll be able to climb down the great plateau without needing the glider.
I don't really care about speedrunning, but it will be very interesting to see one of those for this game. I mean, Nintendo themselves mentioned speedrunning several times, so I guess they are welcoming sequence breaking in this game.

Yep. It's absolutely brilliant design.

I dunno, they said you could get to the goal right away if you wanted to. My guess is that once someone finds out a cooking recipe to increase the stamina meter, they'll be able to climb down the great plateau without needing the glider.

This is true, but for 99.9% of players, this won't be viable. And I'd be pretty surprised if it's as simple as cooking the right meal.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I saw Link grabbing a butterfly in one video, so I guess the net will not be in. Unless you can get one to make catching bugs easier?

I don't really care about speedrunning, but it will be very interesting to see one of those for this game. I mean, Nintendo themselves mentioned speedrunning several times, so I guess they are welcoming sequence breaking in this game.

I might be wrong but I thought I saw someone mention they tried climbing down and at a certain point they automatically died. So there game might require you getting the glider and no amount of food or potions will let you climb down all the way. It would make sense as obtaining those runes and the glider are probably extremely important to traversing and progressing through the rest of the game, even if afterwards you attempt to go straight to the final boss .

Alienous

Don't the pillars coincide with the 4 dungeons theory? Seems like the game is split into those for major areas outside of the tutorial zone, one of which if I recall correctly seems to represent Death Mountain.

I wouldn't be worried about 4 major dungeons. I imagine they would increase in scope from traditional Zelda just like the world has.

Diffense

Well, that would just mean that the tutorial is skippable if you already know what you're doing. Though I find it hard to imagine that you'll be able to complete the game without the basic runes from the Great Plateau's Shrines and you'll also get the glider after completing all four so you might as well soar off.

batbeg

The treehouse staff kept making it sound like the means to obtaining the paraglider were unique to the demo. They said the full game would have a different purpose for the spirit orbs, including i believe the first 4. Maybe getting off of the plateau is different in the full game?

Vena

I'm OK with this as Xenoblade is one of my fave Wii games

I find this juxtaposition rather neat (though clearly unintentional), actually.

The Monado and the Master Sword aren't to dissimilar in nature, as they are effectively both divine god-weapons that need a proper wielder to use. But the Monado stands tall and untouched, while the Master Sword has declined and decayed to ruin. The world of Xenoblade was claimed and conquered, the world of BotW is wild and unshackled.

I kinda want one of the dungeons just to be an above ground section of the map

I've wanted this for years. Even better if it fell apart in some way upon completion that made it a good path for traversing. Just so you'd pass through it repeatedly in the same way you would any other part of the overworld.

Bagu

I find this juxtaposition rather neat (though clearly unintentional), actually.

The Monado and the Master Sword aren't to dissimilar in nature, as they are effectively both divine god-weapons that need a proper wielder to use. But the Monado stands tall and untouched, while the Master Sword has declined and decayed to ruin. The world of Xenoblade was claimed and conquered, the world of BotW is wild and unshackled.
Does this mean Fi is using Link's corpse to revive herself?

Vena

Does this mean Fi is using Link's corpse to revive herself?

Given the state of the Master Sword, I'd wonder if she's even still alive. Also pretty sure you don't need to spoil for a game that came out half a decade ago, lol.

Crayolan

I could have sworn an employee confirmed that you get the paraglider in a different way in the final game.

The treehouse staff kept making it sound like the means to obtaining the paraglider were unique to the demo. They said the full game would have a different purpose for the spirit orbs, including i believe the first 4. Maybe getting off of the plateau is different in the full game?

Yeah, they said for the demo 4 spirit orbs (coinciding with 4 shrines on the Great Plateau) will net you the paraglider from the Old Man, but it'd be different in the actual game.

But needing the paraglider to escape the plateau in the actual game makes too much sense and I imagine they'll also want you to get all the rune abilities before being set free so the final version can't be too different. The difference might be something like bringing the spirit orbs to a central area rather than to the old man.

Given the state of the Master Sword, I'd wonder if she's even still alive. Also pretty sure you don't need to spoil for a game that came out half a decade ago, lol.

Even as someone who's completed Xenoblade, spoilering old games is definitely appreciated and I wish more people took care to do it. Not everyone plays games at release or gets into series right away.

Vena

Yeah, they said for the demo 4 spirit orbs (coinciding with 4 shrines on the Great Plateau) will net you the paraglider from the Old Man, but it'd be different in the actual game.

But needing the paraglider to escape the plateau in the actual game makes too much sense and I imagine they'll also want you to get all the rune abilities before being set free so the final version can't be too different. The difference might be something like bringing the spirit orbs to a central area rather than to the old man.

Given the climbing mechanic, I don't think anything stops you from escaping the plateau without the glider if you know what you are doing. It'd just be tricky/hard to survive the climb.

Even as someone who's completed Xenoblade, spoilering old games is definitely appreciated and I wish more people took care to do it. Not everyone plays games at release or gets into series right away.

Hum. Noted. I generally stop caring of spoilers after a certain amount of time, whether I've played a game or not. :p

Also, everyone dies!!!11!111!111 Rocks fall.

Crayolan

Given the climbing mechanic, I don't think anything stops you from escaping the plateau without the glider if you know what you are doing. It'd just be tricky/hard to survive the climb.

Hum. Noted. I generally stop caring of spoilers after a certain amount of time, whether I've played a game or not. :p

Also, everyone dies!!!11!111!111 Rocks fall.

Oh yeah, I'd assume if you know what you're doing you can gather up stamina potions and slowly climb down the side of the plateau, but to most players their first time I doubt that'll be something they think of. The paraglider is a very straight forward solution to escaping and so most people will probably think it's the only solution.

skypunch

Banned

On another note, this Zelda probably has many influences but I can't help but see a lot of Xenoblade. The possibility of Xenoblade influence is raised by the revelation that many Monolithsoft developers are assisting with Zelda: BotW. The games have a similar spirit in that both take place in ruined worlds and they share a theme of dangerous ancient machinery. Even the title screens communicate the same atmosphere; the remains of the Guardian and Mechon are in roughly the same places.

I'm OK with this as Xenoblade is one of my fave Wii games.

BTW
http://nintendoeverything.com/monol...ght-and-open-to-helping-other-nintendo-teams/

This is awesome. Both games even have British voice acting.

RagnarokX

Well, since the walls of the plateau are artificial they could have the same properties as the walls inside the shrines (too slippery). It's also possible that the plateau is floating in the air and you can't reach the bottom. And it's also possible that the plateau is surrounded by bottomless chasms.

4XxPfwI.jpg

The clouds around the base of the plateau have to be there for a reason.

Well, since the walls of the plateau are artificial they could have the same properties as the walls inside the shrines (too slippery). It's also possible that the plateau is floating in the air and you can't reach the bottom. And it's also possible that the plateau is surrounded by bottomless chasms.

4XxPfwI.jpg

The clouds around the base of the plateau have to be there for a reason.
The Great Plateau is where OoT's Castle town used to be. The Temple of Time is the exact same exterior design as OoT, there are wrecked building structures throughout the Great Plateau that align perfectly with how Castle Town in OoT was structured, and it has the same general proximity to Hyrule Castle as it did in OoT. Not too mention Aonuma has hinted that it's related to OoT. Given the released timeline and the Fallen Link timeline confusion; I have a feeling that this will be the equivalent to TP and WW on the Fallen Link timeline. It'd also serve as a good anniversary title as we've already seen elements from WW, TP, OOT, SS and the original Zelda present in this game, in terms of characters, gameplay, certain locations and structures. Given its in the Fallen Link timeline, I think we can also expect homages to ALTTP, MM and Zelda 2 in addition to the already mentioned titles we saw in the demo alone. It'd essentially commemorate the biggest and most important titles in the franchises history.

RagnarokX

The Great Plateau is where OoT's Castle town used to be. The Temple of Time is the exact same exterior design as OoT, there are wrecked building structures throughout the Great Plateau that align perfectly with how Castle Town in OoT was structured, and it has the same general proximity to Hyrule Castle as it did in OoT. Not too mention Aonuma has hinted that it's related to OoT. Given the released timeline and the Fallen Link timeline confusion; I have a feeling that this will be the equivalent to TP and WW on the Fallen Link timeline. It'd also serve as a good anniversary title as we've already seen elements from WW, TP, OOT, SS and the original Zelda present in this game, in terms of characters, gameplay, certain locations and structures. Given its in the Fallen Link timeline, I think we can also expect homages to ALTTP, MM and Zelda 2 in addition to the already mentioned titles we saw in the demo alone. It'd essentially commemorate the biggest and most important titles in the franchises history.

Yeah, theres a fountain that reminds me of the fountain in Castle Town and the blocks with the two gargoyles look like a place where the drawbridge would have been. Here are my thoughts on what happened 100 years ago:

The Hero of Time fought Ganon and lost. Ganon obtained the full triforce and became a god-like being. Ganon ravaged the land and the Sheikah emerged from hiding to confront him. Their guardians rose from the ground, but Ganon was able to take control of them. With no other options, Zelda used the power of Hylia to keep Ganon trapped in Hyrule Castle. The Sheikah sealed Link in a healing chamber in a cave near the Temple of Time, then moved the Temple of Time and surrounding land with Sky Keep to keep it out of Ganon's reach.

100 years have passed and Zelda is beginning to lose the battle. Link is awoken from his slumber and sets out on a quest to activate Sheikah technology that can be used to weaken Ganon and allow him to be sealed completely.

Aonuma pretty much hinted that this game is 100 years after OoT, and Fallen Hero is the only timeline left where that can happen. It's also the only timeline with a Fallen Hero and BotW clearly stars a Fallen Hero. The various references to OoT, WW, and TP all make sense if this is in the same era as WW and TP but in the Fallen Hero timeline.

Why not? it does the same thing while on the great sea in WW. Works just fine. It's nice because it doesn't get so repetitive, and when it does come on it feels really grand.
Yeah but most of the time in WW or any of the other games you were probably most of the time going directly to a an objective and music works for that, this game though with its size it's much easier to get lost and spend much more time exploring.

RagnarokX

Do you remember where he hinted at this?

http://kotaku.com/fans-are-already-trying-to-place-breath-of-the-wild-on-1782089318

At a group Q&A with reporters on Sunday, Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma was asked where the game fit into the franchise timeline. Aonuma said he didn’t want to say much about the story at the moment but said he’d stare a hint. He noted that that the t-shirt he was wearing showed the symbol for the Sheikah stones and that it was the same one from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. (In Breath of the Wild, the reawakened Link uses a high-tech item called the “Sheikah slate”). Aonuma also reminded people that, at the start of this game, Link is told he’s been asleep for 100 years. “He teased: “You can decide what this means.”

The Sheikah symbol has been in many games, so to specify OoT and the also mention Link has been asleep for 100 years as a hint when asked where in the timeline the game takes place seems like a strong indication that it's 100 years after OoT. The Hero of Time is famous for sleeping 7 years and getting defeated by Ganon in the Fallen Hero timeline would be good reason for his 100 year nap.

I might be wrong but I thought I saw someone mention they tried climbing down and at a certain point they automatically died. So there game might require you getting the glider and no amount of food or potions will let you climb down all the way. It would make sense as obtaining those runes and the glider are probably extremely important to traversing and progressing through the rest of the game, even if afterwards you attempt to go straight to the final boss .

My guess is that it's only for the demo.

Top Bottom