• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

batbeg

Years after the Wii U came out and it's somehow still topical to talk about how it isn't as powerful as other hardware, lol.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Not sure if that was done already, but I quickly stiched together a map of some of the peaks and their positions on the map from the Game Awards.

Wouldn't the volcano be the peak to the west with the big hole? Though the shape of the mountain does match up with the map and you probably mapped it out from a single camera pan so I'm dumb.

Edit: Also regarding NX I feel it'll belong in the same "generation" spec wise, but not quite there when it comes to raw power. In comparison to the standard Xbox One. Which is fine by me, I just want to see a Nintendo game with PBR and high quality lighting.

uhhh yeh, but after playing the witcher 3 in 4K on PC and looking at games like god of war or horizon zero dawn its jarring.

Zelda looks like a fantastic game but the low resolution and the pop in were horrible, like some objects only meters away before they popped into the screen. I just hope the NX version is a native 1080.

I mean, I gotta be honest, but if you don't see Nintendo games as valuable because they don't meet the expectations set by your benchmark PC, I don't think you're going to magically have your wishes granted if Nintendo goes multiplatform.

You might be able to band-aid your issues with performance settings, but the games aren't going to suddenly change their design priorities: fun first. Those priorities are too embedded in Nintendo's culture and image, and prioritizing cutting-edge graphics performance overshoots the needs of their audience.

Saying you have different needs that aren't being met sounds to me like you aren't the target audience for Nintendo's games anyway and them appearing on other platforms won't fix that.

SomTervo

uhhh yeh, but after playing the witcher 3 in 4K on PC and looking at games like god of war or horizon zero dawn its jarring.

Zelda looks like a fantastic game but the low resolution and the pop in were horrible, like some objects only meters away before they popped into the screen. I just hope the NX version is a native 1080.

Let's be honest: you're not their target demographic.

Let's be brutally honest: They don't care what you think and they don't care what Sony and Microsoft are doing.

PtM

Banned
Are you questioning that Zelda could look and run better on better hardware?
On this note, I fear that the WiiU version might have no secondary tablet integration at all, so as to keep all resources for the main screen. Maybe not even some item selection or such. :(

saskuatch

I don't see why people are throwing fits. I am going to buy an NX and zelda, I just don't like the rocks popping in right in front of you.......................

On this note, I fear that the WiiU version might have no secondary tablet integration at all, so as to keep all resources for the main screen. Maybe not even some item selection or such. :(

With the way equipment works in this game, this wouldn't work as well as you think it would.

Altazor

Gonna hijack the... uh... port-begging discussion with Skyward Sword OST love. At least it's not as negative :p

It's funny you say that because pretty much every Zelda game ever seems "divisive as fuck" in enthusiast gaming discussions despite how well received they are critically and publicly months after release.
Even OoT is starting to look a little divisive nowadays...

But Yeah, SS has some really good pieces.
I still listen to the Koloktos battle theme every once in a while, BoTW's eventful themes better melt my face off it's gonna be mute 95% of the time.

Yeah, it's kinda strange to talk about "consensus" regarding the Zelda series anyway, but even if there are some who dislike OOT (like Egoraptor)... they are still in the minority ;)
OOT is still considered one of the greatest/most influential games of all time, and rightly so. I don't think the passage of time (ha!) and newer games will ever take that from it - OOT's place in gaming history is already cemented.

SS on the other hand... the response was much more split. Those who loved it, really did, and those who hated it didn't hesitate at all to make their hate known. Motion controls, the lack of exploration and the repetitiveness of The Imprisoned fights are too big of a target, it seems - and some of that criticism is more than reasonable, I'd say.

In any case, yeah Koloktos/Moldarach's battle theme is great, even though it reminds me a bit of Super Mario Galaxy ;)

so good, both of them. Reminds me a bit of OOT's Spirit Temple, only more "technological" (obviously).

Skyward Sword's soundtrack is probably the best OST in the series, even though OoT gave us like dozens of memorable little tunes.

Gate of Time and Fi's Theme (and all its variations) are GOAT Zelda tracks.

I loved all of the Romance themes. Crimson Loftwing is so lovely omg.

Oh man, I've always liked Gate of Time - it reminds me of something, but I cannot remember what, curiously enough. It's a very solemn but very beautiful song. Fi's Theme is also incredibly beautiful, and it's probably better than the character itself...
except for Fi's final scene in the game, which somehow managed to make me feel all emotional despite the coldness I felt for her throughout the game

This is also another great opportunity :)P) for me to post one of my favorite covers on the interwebs: Skipper's Retreat Shack/Lanayru Sand Sea from the talented Field of Reeds. Love it!

PtM

Banned
I don't see why people are throwing fits. I am going to buy an NX and zelda, I just don't like the rocks popping in right in front of you.......................
That's the WiiU version.
With the way equipment works in this game, this wouldn't work as well as you think it would.
Please. At least some scroll buttons would be feasible. At most you could have the same selection screens with touch controls.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
He hit a Bokoblin with an arrow, but since he was stealth the Bokoblin though it was th boar. It kills the boar while Jared focuses on the archer on the stand. Meanwhile, the now dead boar turns into steak, and the Bokoblin eats the steak and fills his HP bar back up.

Craziness!

No, the boar had already run into the Bokoblin, it was trying to kill the boar before he fired the arrow :p

Thaedolus

Let's be honest: you're not their target demographic.

Let's be brutally honest: They don't care what you think and they don't care what Sony and Microsoft are doing.

What's the target demographic then? I'm a dude who loves Zelda games, loves open world games, and loves my 1440p 144hz PC monitor. Obviously I'm going to have to compromise to play this game, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. It would be nice if Nintendo would give a shit about hardware. You only have to go back to the Gamecube to see that they can make competitive hardware and look better than the competition when they give a shit.

It's a tired discussion and probably doesn't belong here, but it's still obnoxious that one of the biggest games they're releasing in years is going to be hampered by being on 10 year old tech. I'll still get the game eventually, but most likely not the Wii U version (unless the NX version comes out significantly later).

I have to admit, the low resolution and lack of good anti-aliasing is way worse in BotW than it is in other Wii U games like MK8 or 3D World, there's more fine detail and foliage that causes nasty shimmering. It would benefit more from better IQ than other Nintendo art directed games so hopefully the NX version at least has a resolution bump. Ultimately it's a minor problem though, visual fidelity is great but I'd gladly sacrifice it when the fidelity of interactivity is higher than just about anything on PS4/Xbone, and all running on hardware effectively from 2006.

What's the target demographic then? I'm a dude who loves Zelda games, loves open world games, and loves my 1440p 144hz PC monitor. Obviously I'm going to have to compromise to play this game, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. It would be nice if Nintendo would give a shit about hardware. You only have to go back to the Gamecube to see that they can make competitive hardware and look better than the competition when they give a shit.

It's a tired discussion and probably doesn't belong here, but it's still obnoxious that one of the biggest games they're releasing in years is going to be hampered by being on 10 year old tech. I'll still get the game eventually, but most likely not the Wii U version (unless the NX version comes out significantly later).
Simultaneous release on NX was already confirmed.

Please. At least some scroll buttons would be feasible. At most you could have the same selection screens with touch controls.

There are like 5 different kinds of equipment.

Having to manage all those on a touch screen wouldn't be any more elegant than the current solution.

Not sure if that was done already, but I quickly stiched together a map of some of the peaks and their positions on the map from the Game Awards.
31n6bqU.jpg

Phenomenal work!!

Looking at this map, think about the distance between the great plateau and Death Mountain, and let's look back at that image of the giant Guardian on Death Mountain:

visPD7A.jpg

Think about the draw distance involved there! If the game map is 360 square km, that has to be something like 20-40 km right? I'm sure others can do a better calculation, but to see actual mesh details 20-40 km away, and being able to actually see that creature in motion in the video is mind boggling to me... that's absurd draw distance.

Edit:

As someone who will be buying the game regardless of it's visuals, you are exactly the target demographic.

It's people who value visuals so much that they simply will not buy a game without cutting edge visuals that are not the target demographic.

Edit2:
I know that's what they're targeting but I'm always skeptical of Nintendo's dates. Call it PTSD from Ocarina of Time delays in the 90's.

They haven't given a target release date or month for Zelda- even though they have March 2017 for NX- yet they have confirmed a simultaneous release. That makes it pretty obvious that Zelda will come out on the NX at the same time as the Wii U, regardless of when the NX launches.

SomTervo

People who don't care about graphical fidelity.

At least, not on that level.

Look, I actually agree with you. It's a bit ridiculous at this point, and the noises they're making about NX don't sound good at all. I mainly play on high-end PC so it's definitely jarring. But:

A) It's also relative. Play a low end/low res game for a while, and as long as it is functionally playable, you will forget about the low fidelity of it after a couple of hours. Gameplay stands above that - as long as a game is playable. Nintendo understand this.

B) The fact is that Nintendo make phenomenal games regardless of the simulation quality; their hardware always comes in at a competitive price-point; and they always manage to squeeze a lot out of their competitively-priced hardware. The first of that list is the only thing that really matters, though.

C) At a half-assed guesstimate, probably 1% of gamers really know their shit or care about graphics at this level of detail – and Nintendo know that. I.e. GAF is the 1%. Lots of people will buy games based on graphics, but that doesn't extend beyond 'this looks cool'. Nintendo know that really throwing money at this aspect of development doesn't always success make.

People who don't care about graphical fidelity.

And, to be clear: "don't care about" = "aren't able/willing to pay the premium for"

This is why I always fall back on the "if Nintendo games are really that good, why aren't they worth your $$$?" argument. That's how valuation works in the real world.

You can say you like something, but if you aren't willing to pay for it (and are more willing to pay for other things instead) that shows your real values.

Likewise, people often complain about AAA games being soulless, but they keep shelling out money for them year after year.

Teuoxton

What are the chances of us getting a flying mount in this game?
I think it's pretty high. If they reintroduce Loftwings with gyro control I'd be happy, though my pipe dream is a Sheikah-Skell (not plausible I know ×.×)

If they don't I hope they give something else to improve upward mobility like the Roc's Feather or Cape.

Phenomenal work!!

Looking at this map, think about the distance between the great plateau and Death Mountain, and let's look back at that image of the giant Guardian on Death Mountain:

visPD7A.jpg

Think about the draw distance involved there! If the game map is 360 square km, that has to be something like 20-40 km right? I'm sure others can do a better calculation, but to see actual mesh details 20-40 km away, and being able to actually see that creature in motion in the video is mind boggling to me... that's absurd draw distance.

Edit:

As someone who will be buying the game regardless of it's visuals, you are exactly the target demographic.

It's people who value visuals so much that they simply will not buy a game without cutting edge visuals that are not the target demographic.

Edit2:

They haven't given a target release date or month for Zelda- even though they have March 2017 for NX- yet they have confirmed a simultaneous release. That makes it pretty obvious that Zelda will come out on the NX at the same time as the Wii U, regardless of when the NX launches.

Its impressive.

However I do get the feeling that the world map looks big but its actually not as big. Link seem to move around the map quite fast and the distance looks bigger on the tiny map than it actually is.. you can clearly see on the tiny map that the Castle with the swirling monster stuff is far away but looking at it while playing its close by, even within walking distance.

I do hope I am wrong, cause I do want a large world.

Have we any facts on how long it will take to move across the entire map?

Arttemis

This looks 500% better than I would have imagined Nintendo doing with an open world after playing XCX. I only hope that there's still very meaty content within dungeons if the point of the open world is to explore and get lost.

Also, I almost require the game to allow players to remove the mini-map. A compass if fine, but nothing more. Nothing kills exploration more than a HUD with objective markers showing at all times.

This looks 500% better than I would have imagined Nintendo doing with an open world after playing XCX. I only hope that there's still very meaty content within dungeons if the point of the open world is to explore and get lost.

Also, I almost require the game to allow players to remove the mini-map. A compass if fine, but nothing more. Nothing kills exploration more than a HUD with objective markers showing at all times.

Well, in terms of looks. Zelda has an advantage in LoD pop-in can be kind of mitigated with the art style by making things off in the distanced washed out water color painting in style.

In terms of mechanics, Zelda games have always succeeded in achieving the feel they are going for.

The lack of tutorials is Aounuma finally getting the full rein.

However I do get the feeling that the world map looks big but its actually not as big. Link seem to move around the map quite fast and the distance looks bigger on the tiny map than it actually is.. you can clearly see on the tiny map that the Castle with the swirling monster stuff is far away but looking at it while playing its close by, even within walking distance.

It doesn't really feel this way while playing.

I'd wager that it'd take at least 15 minutes to walk (emphasis on walk, running isn't something you can do continuously) the Great Plateau from end-to-end with no interruptions.

And the Great Plateau is evidently 1/90th of the total world.

Yonafunu

Its impressive.

I hope you're right, actually. I don't really need a world the size of XCX.

Yeah, seems a lot better structured than Xenoblade X's mandatory exploration if you want to progress.
XCX is still pretty impressive, having probably the most impressive open world in terms of scale with the skell flight test being one of the best experiences I've had in gaming, but it's a bit let down by a lot of high walls you can't climb and lack of interactivity with the environment which Zelda seems to be tackling very gracefully.

vareon

Its impressive.

It's probably not going to be "holy shit so big I can't find the edge" map, but as one Gamexplain video said it won't really matter. It will be big enough and it'll have a lot of distractions, points of interests, etc that you'll not feel the world is too small.

Phenomenal work!!

visPD7A.jpg

Edit:

Edit2:

Giant Guardian on death mountain.... oh my gawdddd this game!!!!

stoff

Wouldn't the volcano be the peak to the west with the big hole? Though the shape of the mountain does match up with the map and you probably mapped it out from a single camera pan so I'm dumb.
No, the volcano (prob. Death Mountain) is far to the north of the plateau, behind Hyrule Caste - not west.
I'm supecting the black cirle is a large tower hidden in the clouds on top of that "Utah"-mountain. Probably the one we saw the Link with the different haricut in Aonuma's video start his paragliding from. Possibly Hera's or Ganon's Tower?

I already noticed I made an error with the second Mountain on the left side of my map. It is actually a lot lot closer to the Plateau. It's the peak of the white area south of the westernmost river.
I could definetly do a far more detailed map by now, but don't really have time to sight all the Video material again.

It's interesting that the very first reveal-screenshot from 2014 is still very accurate. That means the map has stayed more or less the same since then, which i did not suspect at all. It was located close to the south-eastern coast, as most of us suspected, overlooking the entire continent showcasing Death Mountain and Spectacle Rock in the distance. (Have to say how I love Spectacle Rock in this game. Such an iconic design for a landmark.)

What irks me a bit though, is that apparently the river to the east of the plateau seems to flow both north into the Zora-/Hylia-River as well as south into Lake Hylia? It might split into two next to the red Marker? Dunno. Seems a bit weird to me.

Yeah, seems a lot better structured than Xenoblade X's mandatory exploration if you want to progress.
XCX is still pretty impressive, having probably the most impressive open world in terms of scale with the skell flight test being one of the best experiences I've had in gaming, but it's a bit let down by a lot of high walls you can't climb and lack of interactivity with the environment which Zelda seems to be tackling very gracefully.
Nate from Nintendo says the story is also good, so I hope that turns out well too

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Gonna hijack the... uh... port-begging discussion with Skyward Sword OST love. At least it's not as negative :p

Yeah, it's kinda strange to talk about "consensus" regarding the Zelda series anyway, but even if there are some who dislike OOT (like Egoraptor)... they are still in the minority ;)
OOT is still considered one of the greatest/most influential games of all time, and rightly so. I don't think the passage of time (ha!) and newer games will ever take that from it - OOT's place in gaming history is already cemented.

SS on the other hand... the response was much more split. Those who loved it, really did, and those who hated it didn't hesitate at all to make their hate known. Motion controls, the lack of exploration and the repetitiveness of The Imprisoned fights are too big of a target, it seems - and some of that criticism is more than reasonable, I'd say.

In any case, yeah Koloktos/Moldarach's battle theme is great, even though it reminds me a bit of Super Mario Galaxy ;)

so good, both of them. Reminds me a bit of OOT's Spirit Temple, only more "technological" (obviously).

Oh man, I've always liked Gate of Time - it reminds me of something, but I cannot remember what, curiously enough. It's a very solemn but very beautiful song. Fi's Theme is also incredibly beautiful, and it's probably better than the character itself...
except for Fi's final scene in the game, which somehow managed to make me feel all emotional despite the coldness I felt for her throughout the game

This is also another great opportunity :)P) for me to post one of my favorite covers on the interwebs: Skipper's Retreat Shack/Lanayru Sand Sea from the talented Field of Reeds. Love it!
I think people who got annoyed at the imprisoned fights didn't know what to actually do when fighting it, I bet everyone of them only went after its toes and like zelda botw, didn't realize the emergent gameplay option

The Great Plateau is seriously not as large as people seem to think. Looking at the map when people have it out, you can easily judge it by how large the Temple of Time is on it. There's just a ton of stuff packed into it. It's still way bigger than any previous Zelda game, though.

gogogow

You do know that non-Nintendo games on other platforms also have pop-ups, right? Games that are also shown at E3. It's an open world game. No matter how powerful your hardware is, there will always be pop ups in those kind of games. Doesn't matter if you have a GTX 1080 in your rig, there will be pop ups. It's not something exclusive to Nintendo (Wii U) games.

What are the chances of us getting a flying mount in this game?

I'll personally go out on a bit of a limb here and say that the odds are around 80% that we'll get one, probably around the later third of the game. Given the floating isle and the general vibe/style of the game seen thus far I just dont see them having a teleport to it, or something like a link catapult into a glider landing. At a certain height that glider shouldn't really been as effective anyway. Imaging the epic aerial battles... mmmppphh swooping low to the ground and hookshotting a guardian, towing it briefly and slamming it against a cliff face... (yes now my mind is running too wild, but this game just gets you thinking that way)

Top Bottom