• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

SomTervo

What are the chances of us getting a flying mount in this game?

LinkFlyingRooster_sq.png

BowieZ

Banned
On a different but somewhat related subject, I'm still missing the main Zelda overworld theme and a few little things that would drive it home even further. I tweeted to Samantha Robertson over at the Treehouse suggesting the ability to toggle overworld music, and she said that she'd be happy to pass it along (they totally won't do it lol) The only 3D Zelda to feature the original theme is Majora's Mask and it's probably my least favorite 3D Zelda, so that kind of bums me out. With the emphasis they're putting on this borrowing heavily from the original, I feel like they should have the main theme too-- which is why I suggested that to Sam.

I get that music can become repetitive and that sometimes ambiance is more well-suited to things and even agree with that, but it would even be nice if like most of the game were "silent" (I know there's SOME music in the overworld) but maybe after some event or something, the main theme kicks in later and stays until you finish it. Something like that would be incredibly rad. If their vision is that it should be more silent, that's more than cool, but having options wouldn't hurt either. I think it would be great to be able to mess around in this massive world to the original theme, personally.
Yeah, the news about the soundtrack worries me a little. It's definitely a great idea to start off with very minimal, minimalistic music, to emphasise the natural ambient wonder, but I disagree that music would ultimately detract from the immersion, especially when you're really in the thick of it.

It's obviously hard to program a perfect blending and phasing in and out of music that reflects what a player chooses to do in an open-world game, but I think if you had a couple of versions of each cue (a peaceful wandering version, a more energetic horse-riding version (if applicable) and a sinister enemy encounter version) for each main area (not every area has to have an epic orchestral march though), it would generally work and has worked in the past fine. I don't think this is a convention that needs to be or would be better served being broken, at least, not to have a single adventure theme across the entire game. (I don't mind the idea of a music toggle (a Sheikah slate upgrade? lol) but I don't think it's necessary.)

On that note, this week while banned during E3 due to a zealous post about cat abuse I wrote my own fanmade attempt at the above! An adventurous orchestral march (with a new theme inspired by the original, with some nods to Zelda's lullaby) suitable for riding Epona, and a more peaceful chamber-music version. Hopefully not shit.

Epona version
Peaceful version

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Its impressive.

However I do get the feeling that the world map looks big but its actually not as big. Link seem to move around the map quite fast and the distance looks bigger on the tiny map than it actually is.. you can clearly see on the tiny map that the Castle with the swirling monster stuff is far away but looking at it while playing its close by, even within walking distance.

I do hope I am wrong, cause I do want a large world.

Have we any facts on how long it will take to move across the entire map?

This is pretty much how it looks to me as well, but we'll see I guess.

I think people who got annoyed at the imprisoned fights didn't know what to actually do when fighting it, I bet everyone of them only went after its toes and like zelda botw, didn't realize the emergent gameplay option
What's the emergent option?

From what i know Nintendo programmed 2 ways:

- Use the Sail Cloth to gain higher ground an jump on top of it and hit the spike.

- Smash his toes to make him fall and hit the spkie on the head.

Then there are small variations to the battle like the Imprisioned climbing, Groose Catapult and the creature growing it's wings. Stuff that didn't made up for how stupid it looked and the fact that one had to fight with him 4 (FOUR) times.

Skyward Sword is the most predictable and formulaic game in the series in terms of progression, maybe that's why we get such a hughe departure now.

Controls were sublime taught, a lot better than Breath of the Wild XD

Congressman: You are so lucky then. Small objects such as rocks, grass and bushes pop in near Link. As for large distances, get to a high place and you' ll see the areas far way from you look barren with little foliage and trees, even taught when you actually move there they can be quite populated.

And yes, it's a button combination. Press and hold a direction on the Dpad and then use the right thumbstick to make a selection.

Could someone provide an example of this 'horrible pop in that happens meters in front of you'? I've barely seen any instances of pop in at all. Not to say I don't believe it happened, I just don't believe it's as noticeable or close as people are making it out to be.

In any case, at least it doesn't have as many iq issues as like Dragons Dogma.

Isn't the current solution button combinations?

No, it's holding a direction on the dpad, and then selecting what you want.

Tadpole

Lol I have enough money to buy 100 NX and not think twice, what I mean is Nintendos consoles are always stuck in the technological stone age.............

Then buy a PS4 / XBone / PC / Wii U / NX and enjoy all the great games on each (or at least the presumed great games on NX).

BowieZ

Banned
Has anyone discussed in detail the potential significance of the Sheikah symbol markings, now that we've seen so much more of the game in action?

13.png

Could the dots on the outside be a map of the towers? Or dungeon/shrine locations? Is the centre of the eye perhaps the Resurrection shrine or the Great Plateau?

Congressman: You are so lucky then. Small objects such as rocks, grass and bushes pop in near Link. As for large distances, get to a high place and you' ll see the areas far way from you look barren with little foliage and trees, even taught when you actually move there they can be quite populated.

And yes, it's a button combination. Press and hold a direction on the Dpad and then use the right thumbstick to make a selection.

At close distances, that's one thing, but far? That seems nitpicky. I don't think it would be feasible to display that many objects to fill those kinds of distances on Wii U. It may not be ideal, but it's not nesscesary to see every object in the distance. If it's at a trade off between frame rate and draw distance, I'll take the frames.

And I guess semantics on the button combo thing. That wording implies you have to hold two or three buttons to bring up the menu. It's one button, and then you use the stick to select just like any other game.

On the other side of the coin, if it were on the gamepad, you'd have to stop to look at the pad, take your fingers off one side of the controller, slide to the category you want, and press the item you want. I don't see how that's much of an improvement to flow, it's just different.

He hit a Bokoblin with an arrow, but since he was stealth the Bokoblin though it was th boar. It kills the boar while Jared focuses on the archer on the stand. Meanwhile, the now dead boar turns into steak, and the Bokoblin eats the steak and fills his HP bar back up.

Craziness!

Can I get a timestamp for this? I wanna see it

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Omg I just tried finishing skyward sword because of all the Zelda e3 hype. Yep the controls still suck :/

Some serious quality of life issues as well, I hope Breadth of the wild really modernizes a few things like save points, inventory management and cameras.

Omg I just tried finishing skyward sword because of all the Zelda e3 hype. Yep the controls still suck :/

Some serious quality of life issues as well, I hope Breadth of the wild really modernizes a few things like save points, inventory management and cameras.

The demo has autosaving and 360 degree camera control on the right stick so those two things aren't a problem, inventory management looks about the same but there aren't repeated dialog boxes when you pick up an item you've discovered before so that's a 400% improvement at least.

On that note, this week while banned during E3 due to a zealous post about cat abuse I wrote my own fanmade attempt at the above! An adventurous orchestral march (with a new theme inspired by the original, with some nods to Zelda's lullaby) suitable for riding Epona, and a more peaceful chamber-music version. Hopefully not shit.

Oh wow, I'm impressed. Nice work.

I don't think the lack of music is a bad thing, but it could be something I would prefer. Depends on the music and its synergy with the gameplay. Previous Zeldas moved a bit faster, especially the top-down ones due to design, but with a world this big and how much you'e just sort of out in nature, hunting and stuff, the quiet approach probably works. However, I would still at least like an option.

I do hope I am wrong, cause I do want a large world.

I hope you're right. The world seems very large and I'm okay with that, but it doesn't need to be needlessly large. It's actually a pet peeve I have with open world games. Metal Gear Solid V was needlessly large to the point where they put so much into the size of the thing that the actual "game" parts are basically infiltrating the same outposts on repeat. That wasn't very good game design to me.

But that's where I trust Nintendo. Even if the world is bigger than it needs to be, I'm sure it'll be fairly well designed. The demo area certainly seems fun and brimming with things to do, find, and interact with.

At close distances, that's one thing, but far? That seems nitpicky. I don't think it would be feasible to display that many objects to fill those kinds of distances on Wii U. It may not be ideal, but it's not nesscesary to see every object in the distance. If it's at a trade off between frame rate and draw distance, I'll take the frames.
i limited myself to factually describe the pop in, there are ones near the player character on small detail objects and ones far on the distance.

i didn't emit any judgement about that been "bad", "disapointing" or whatever.
And I guess semantics on the button combo thing. That wording implies you have to hold two or three buttons to bring up the menu. It's one button, and then you use the stick to select just like any other game.

On the other side of the coin, if it were on the gamepad, you'd have to stop to look at the pad, take your fingers off one side of the controller, slide to the category you want, and press the item you want. I don't see how that's much of an improvement to flow, it's just different.
Funny you make emphasis about taking your fingers off. That's what is happening now:

- Take your left thumb from the movement stick.
- Press and hold a direction on the Dpad.
- Dpad Right = Handed weapons
- Dpad Right bow drawn = Bows.
- Dpad Left = Shields.
- Dpad Up = Runes.
- Use the right thumbstick to select.
- Release Dpad.

It requires the use of two diferent directional inputs and makes you move your thumb from a main one. You can do better with a Gyro + Thumbstick and radial menu.

You know what? Here's how it will be better using the exact same linear X axis menu selection.

Click Right Thumbstick. Menu mode pops, after that:

- R confirms. ZR drops.
- Press Thumbstick Right = Handed weapons menu. Left/Right select.
- Press Thumbstick Right Bow Drawn = Bow selection. Left/Right select.
- Press Thumbstick left = Shield slection. Left/Right Select.
- Press Thumbstick up = Rune slection. Left/Right Select.
- Press Thumbstick down = Slate view.

Add an slow motion effect (like the dodge they already have) and you can have the thing in realtime. Even compatible with gimped Wii U Pro, since that doesn't even have a Gyro.

On a different but somewhat related subject, I'm still missing the main Zelda overworld theme and a few little things that would drive it home even further. I tweeted to Samantha Robertson over at the Treehouse suggesting the ability to toggle overworld music, and she said that she'd be happy to pass it along (they totally won't do it lol) The only 3D Zelda to feature the original theme is Majora's Mask and it's probably my least favorite 3D Zelda, so that kind of bums me out. With the emphasis they're putting on this borrowing heavily from the original, I feel like they should have the main theme too-- which is why I suggested that to Sam.

I get that music can become repetitive and that sometimes ambiance is more well-suited to things and even agree with that, but it would even be nice if like most of the game were "silent" (I know there's SOME music in the overworld) but maybe after some event or something, the main theme kicks in later and stays until you finish it. Something like that would be incredibly rad. If their vision is that it should be more silent, that's more than cool, but having options wouldn't hurt either. I think it would be great to be able to mess around in this massive world to the original theme, personally.

I'm wondering if the overworld theme makes an appearance when (and if) you travel through time or whatever and see when Hyrule was not in ruins/or visit towns. At the moment the non-music goes well with a Hyrule in ruin.

I'm wondering if the overworld theme makes an appearance when (and if) you travel through time or whatever and see when Hyrule was not in ruins/or visit towns. At the moment the non-music goes well with a Hyrule in ruin.

Yeah, see, in general I'm okay with the silent approach, but there could be triggers or instances where we get the traditional theme. Usually in games like this, such as in Final Fantasy there's an "11th hour" feel, where the bad guys have made their play and the atmosphere changes. Like how in FFVI you have the World of Ruin, in FFVII later in the game the map theme changes, and I think this happens in FFVIII and IX as well. I know it happens in IX.

That's just what I'm reminded of, instances where there's a tonal shift in the atmosphere due to the story. Perhaps the further you get, the music changes, or they add music depending on the circumstance.

Has anyone discussed in detail the potential significance of the Sheikah symbol markings, now that we've seen so much more of the game in action?

13.png

Could the dots on the outside be a map of the towers? Or dungeon/shrine locations? Is the centre of the eye perhaps the Resurrection shrine or the Great Plateau?

Think the 7 dots might have to do with the seven sages

I'd rather have a original overworld theme than the Zelda main theme. I like the ones in the previous 3D Zeldas (excluding Skyward Sword) much more than the original theme, but thats just my opinion

I'd rather have a original overworld theme than the Zelda main theme. I like the ones in the previous 3D Zeldas (excluding Skyward Sword) much more than the original theme, but thats just my opinion

The original theme just gives me the feels and I'm so used to exploring Hyrule to it. Majora's Mask and Link Between Worlds used it and where this is basically a remake of the original NES game, I think the main theme would be especially fitting here. It can have another main theme, like the one in the trailer though. You could have that new theme as the main theme, but have the original theme playing while you're exploring. Even a subdued version of it or something. It just helps make the Zelda experience for me and I fully admit it's primarily based on nostalgia.

On a side note, you mad with that Skyward music comment :p

BowieZ

Banned
Think the 7 dots might have to do with the seven sages
I just noticed the objective marker on the map closely resembles the central dot in the symbol:

Ck7VXxHUkAAOdLO.jpg

And I'm pretty sure there were only about 6 other towers that popped up when Link activated the first one.

i limited myself to factually describe the pop in, there are ones near the player character on small detail objects and ones far on the distance.

i didn't emit any judgement about that been "bad", "disapointing" or whatever.

I get you, I'm directing what I said at those that are upset about it.

Funny you make emphasis about taking your fingers off. That's what is happening now:

- Take your left thumb from the movement stick.
- Press and hold a direction on the Dpad.
- Use the right thumbstick to select.
- Release Dpad.

It requires the use of two diferent directional inputs and makes you move your thumb from a main one. You can do better with a Gyro + Thumbstick and radial menu.

You know what? Here's how it will be better using the exact same linear X axis menu selection.

Click Right Thumbstick. Menu mode pops, after that:

- R confirms. ZR drops.
- Press Right = Handed weapons menu. Left/Right select.
- Press Right Bow Drawn = Bow selection. Left/Right select.
- Press left = Shield slection. Left/Right Select.
- Press up = Rune slection. Left/Right Select.
- Press down = Slate view.

Add an slow motion effect (like the dodge they already have) and you can have the thing in realtime. Even compatible with gimped Wii U Pro, since that doesn't even have a Gyro.

First I'd like to point out that I said "I don't see how [touch screen selection] it's an improvement, it's just different" as in, it's about as efficient either way. I'm not saying one is better than the other.

But yeah, the option you present sounds neat. There's plenty of ways to do it, but I think this works just fine.

On NX, I'm really expecting those scroll wheels, and I'm sure they'll integrate that for item selection.

I'll probably be happy with 4 temples/main dungeons as long as they're fun and memorable, but 7!?!? That would be my personal sweet spot.

BowieZ

Banned
Oh wow, I'm impressed. Nice work.
Thanks! I know it sounds a little 'Gusty Garden Galaxy', but I think it works ok.

I don't think the lack of music is a bad thing, but it could be something I would prefer. Depends on the music and its synergy with the gameplay. Previous Zeldas moved a bit faster, especially the top-down ones due to design, but with a world this big and how much you'e just sort of out in nature, hunting and stuff, the quiet approach probably works. However, I would still at least like an option.
I would love to see someone try and overlay an appropriate Zelda overworld theme onto some of the gameplay footage we've seen so far. I think it would be just as good with music.

Oh man, I've always liked Gate of Time - it reminds me of something, but I cannot remember what, curiously enough. It's a very solemn but very beautiful song. Fi's Theme is also incredibly beautiful, and it's probably better than the character itself...
except for Fi's final scene in the game, which somehow managed to make me feel all emotional despite the coldness I felt for her throughout the game

This is also another great opportunity :)P) for me to post one of my favorite covers on the interwebs: Skipper's Retreat Shack/Lanayru Sand Sea from the talented Field of Reeds. Love it!

I agree. l don't like Skyward Sword but l though the OST was fantastic and highly underrated. The character is so unpopular it's not given the credit it deserves but Fi's theme is easily one of the best songs in the entire series.

I liked Fi. I just hated the constant interruptions, like the pop ups when you got a new item.

Gate of Time sounds like an Explosions in the Sky song. Not very traditionally Zelda but it fits so well.

Holy crap.

I mean, I watched this during the stream, but seeing it again, just Holy shit.

We need gifs of those large expansive areas.

You can see a closer view of the floating island at 25:00.

I still cant get over that guardian fight. How it chases you and how you interact with the environment to take it down. Just absolutely fantastic.

Just noticed that flying ship / floating island as well. Cant wait to see what thats all about!

7+100 mini dungeons seems a bit excessive. 4 expertly crafted ones would be more than fine, but I'd be disappointed if it's just 100 mini dungeons and no real dungeons

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This isn't scientific or anything, but I kind of guessed where I thought dungeons might be based on how the map looks. I'm probably mostly wrong, as I just picked the most interesting landmark in each section.
Now, I'm not usually optimistic about Zelda titles having tons of dungeons like the rumors always say, but I genuinely think that there will be 13 dungeons, 14 if you count Hyrule Castle. There's a rumor floating around that BotW will have 4 dungeons, and it has some credibility because it said that there would also be 100 mini dungeons. However, I think that basically all Zelda rumors are fake, and it's not too wild to guess that there will be a ton of mini dungeons. There's also the possibility that the leaker thought there were 4 dungeons instead of 14, but that seems unlikely.

My reasoning:
-There are 15 regions in the map, and every one of them seems large enough to hide a dungeon. The tutorial area doesn't have one because they want to let you choose the first dungeon you want to complete, and having a dungeon in the first area would pressure people to complete it first. Hyrule Castle would serve as the dungeon in the middle region, although there could be a separate dungeon apart from it.
-In the 2014 VGA gameplay video, Aonuma brings the horse to a wooded area with two large pillars. Miyamoto comments: "This looks a bit suspicious, we must be near a dungeon". Aonuma responds: "mmm. In places like this, you tend to run into these guys (enemy Bokoblins appear)". Now, Aonuma doesn't exactly say that there is a dungeon nearby, but this is a scripted video, and Miyamoto is acting like he doesn't know much about the game. If there wasn't a dungeon nearby, Miyamoto wouldn't say anything about it.
I'm sure someone like Ragnarokx could tell us exactly where they were at the moment they said that, but it really doesn't look like they are near anything significant. You'd think that if there were only 4 dungeons, then each dungeon would be in a dramatic location, but this one is just located in the woods.
-In past 3D Zelda games, many puzzles took place on the path to the dungeons, just look at Skyward Sword for an extreme example of this. Since this game is less linear, I imagine that the Overworld won't have quite as many puzzles, meaning that they will mostly be relegated to shrines and dungeons. It seems like shrines mostly focus on the rune items, which leaves dungeons to be based around classic Zelda items, such as the Boomerang or Hookshot.
-It seems like Shrines all have a similar theme, the prize for completing them is always the same, they can be placed anywhere in the world, and the names of the sages indicate that each shrine is designed by a member of the dev team. This means that they can make lots of shrines with relative ease, which gives the team lots of time to work on other parts of the game.
-4 dungeons is simply too few, and I'm not sure 2 hour long dungeons would be very enjoyable.

I know that my predictions for where the dungeons are will be wildly incorrect, but what do you guys think about my theory that there will be 14 dungeons?

According to this, it was confirmed by Nintendo:

This may not be through 'upgrades'. Eating certain foods and potions increase your ability, so it may just be referring to things that boost, rather than permanent upgrades. Nate was pretty hesitant to answer that question in gamexplain's interview and gave a ambiguous answer.

Not only that, but it may also refer to things that increase your ability to traverse, such as the hookshot, which in a lot of cases would negate the need for extra stamina.

I guess the problem with music is just the time you will spend in the overworld versus older games. I see myself running around the plateau for hours. At least dozends of hours in the rest of Hyrule. Bit long to repeat the same tracks over and over.
Overall i get really strong Dark Souls I vibes from this game, especially the combat and exploration and now even the approach to music.

There's no reason they couldn't go the Minecraft route, and have tracks fade in at random times. Music doesn't constantly play in that game, and I think it works great.

I guess the problem with music is just the time you will spend in the overworld versus older games. I see myself running around the plateau for hours. At least dozends of hours for the rest of Hyrule. Bit long to repeat the same tracks over and over.
Overall i get really strong Dark Souls I vibes from this game, especially the combat and exploration and now even the approach to music.

There's no reason they couldn't go the Minecraft route, and have tracks fade in at random times. Music doesn't constantly play in that game, and I think it works great.

I don´t think random music would work well for the immersion.

RagnarokX

This isn't scientific or anything, but I kind of guessed where I thought dungeons might be based on how the map looks. I'm probably mostly wrong, as I just picked the most interesting landmark in each section.

Now, I'm not usually optimistic about Zelda titles having tons of dungeons like the rumors always say, but I genuinely think that there will be 13 dungeons, 14 if you count Hyrule Castle. There's a rumor floating around that BotW will have 4 dungeons, and it has some credibility because it said that there would also be 100 mini dungeons. However, I think that basically all Zelda rumors are fake, and it's not too wild to guess that there will be a ton of mini dungeons. There's also the possibility that the leaker thought there were 4 dungeons instead of 14, but that seems unlikely.

My reasoning:
-There are 15 regions in the map, and every one of them seems large enough to hide a dungeon. The tutorial area doesn't have one because they want to let you choose the first dungeon you want to complete, and having a dungeon in the first area would pressure people to complete it first. Hyrule Castle would serve as the dungeon in the middle region, although there could be a separate dungeon apart from it.
-In the 2014 VGA gameplay video, Aonuma brings the horse to a wooded area with two large pillars. Miyamoto comments: "This looks a bit suspicious, we must be near a dungeon". Aonuma responds: "mmm. In places like this, you tend to run into these guys (enemy Bokoblins appear)". Now, Aonuma doesn't exactly say that there is a dungeon nearby, but this is a scripted video, and Miyamoto is acting like he doesn't know much about the game. If there wasn't a dungeon nearby, Miyamoto wouldn't say anything about it.
I'm sure someone like Ragnarokx could tell us exactly where they were at the moment they said that, but it really doesn't look like they are near anything significant. You'd think that if there were only 4 dungeons, then each dungeon would be in a dramatic location, but this one is just located in the woods.
-In past 3D Zelda games, many puzzles took place on the path to the dungeons, just look at Skyward Sword for an extreme example of this. Since this game is less linear, I imagine that the Overworld won't have quite as many puzzles, meaning that they will mostly be relegated to shrines and dungeons. It seems like shrines mostly focus on the rune items, which leaves dungeons to be based around classic Zelda items, such as the Boomerang or Hookshot.
-It seems like Shrines all have a similar theme, the prize for completing them is always the same, they can be placed anywhere in the world, and the names of the sages indicate that each shrine is designed by a member of the dev team. This means that they can make lots of shrines with relative ease, which gives the team lots of time to work on other parts of the game.
-4 dungeons is simply too few, and I'm not sure 2 hour long dungeons would be very enjoyable.

I know that my predictions for where the dungeons are will be wildly incorrect, but what do you guys think about my theory that there will be 14 dungeons?

When they say that they are in the woods southeast of Lake Hylia. They ride from that area to the southern side of the bridge across the lake. You can see the sheikah tower south of the bridge, the bridge itself, and the lake. There are ancient ruins in the forest.

They may have been referring to a shrine, as there are over 100 of those and they have "dungeon" written all over them (literally, in hylian script).

Only the 4 shrines on the plateau are shown giving you a new ability/item. The other 2 shrines they showed were more like dungeons with maze like design and mutiple puzzles.

I think there could be 4 dungeons in the game which are tied to the 4 sheikah pillars surrounding Hyrule Castle.

maxcriden

No need to imagine, it is 720p30.

You can tell straight away from the official screenshots that the resolution is indeed native 720p. For example:

As I can see neither any upscaling artefacts or any subpixel detail, it's definitely native. If you really want to be sure, you could pixel count but I don't think that's necessary. There does, however, appear to be some sort of low quality AA making things a little blurry.

And yeah, it's definitely 30fps in the footage.

Thanks for the clarification and confirmation, it's much appreciated!

Meesh

Does anyone have a clearer capture of the airship spotted in the sky?
Related to that I posted this in another thread and just wanted to know what some of you thought:
Is there any evidence suggesting an additional evil couldn't possibly remove the sword from Ganons head, freeing him once more? Such a partnership would almost indicate for once that Ganon wasn't pulling the strings outright, that he wasn't the ultimate power which contradicts him having the triforce of power maybe...but I'm imagining that, (bare with me) because the plateau area is the birthplace of Hyrule, the Temple of time potentially spooging out all manner of existence like a gate to another time and place (dimension?), it's possible there's an evil that comes from the world of goddesses (Din, Nayru and Farore) and wishes to align itself with Ganon. Because we see such a heavy influence of the Sheikah in this game... I'm inclined to believe this new evil is somehow related to that people.

Now this may sound even crazier...but the incredibly advanced Sheikah technology in the opening cave with Link in stasis might be part of a bigger Sheikah area hidden there, (thinking of how the walled plateau looks separate from Hyrule) perhaps accessible later when the temple is restored. I'm leaning towards the plateau not just being from another place and time or gateway for that matter, but it could also have been airborne and the cave area might've been a type of cockpit or other means of navigation. Which leads us to the floating land mass in the sky everyone's been seeing, that could very well be a part of the plateau, a still functioning Shiekah land ship. I know, ancient alien theories ahoy...

I can't really support this theory with much but we've seen partnerships before like when Ganon used Zant, my theory is just reversed. The idea that the plateau and Temple of Time may be a direct gate in BotW really comes from how segregated that part of Hyrule is as it sits high up and surrounded by walls, as though that part of land was transported from another place. Also Nintendo continues to play with light and dark dualities in their games so it wouldn't surprise me if halfway through the Temple of Time was restored and Link travelled to the dark world via the Temple/plateau area not unlike ALttP. I guess I'm inclined to believe Ganon has a hidden partner of sorts because his existence is blown so early in the game, leaving plenty of time for a guest foe to surprise us.

Anywho, rambling Zelda madness over lol.

Edit: your welcome to quote my insanity for my potential crow eating later lol :)

This may not be through 'upgrades'. Eating certain foods and potions increase your ability, so it may just be referring to things that boost, rather than permanent upgrades. Nate was pretty hesitant to answer that question in gamexplain's interview and gave a ambiguous answer.

Not only that, but it may also refer to things that increase your ability to traverse, such as the hookshot, which in a lot of cases would negate the need for extra stamina.

Yeah, in Jared's playthrough he asks about that, and the Nintendo rep initially says yes you can upgrade stamina, but then goes on to clarify that it's through food dishes you prepare that provide an extra stamina wheel. Hopefully they still have some kind of permanent upgrade that either increases stamina or items that sidestep the finite stamina (speed boots for running and hookshot for climbing).

RagnarokX

Oh yeah, one possible reason for the Temple of Time being where it is:

4XxPfwI.jpg

The sides of the great plateau are artificial and remind me of Sky Keep from Skyward Sword, which had part of the Temple of Hylia and the goddess statue on top of it. It's possible the Great Plateau is a much larger version of Sky Keep. They put clouds around the base of the plateau so you can't see where the plateau meets the ground. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe there are signs where it colided with the ground.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Oh yeah, one possible reason for the Temple of Time being where it is:

4XxPfwI.jpg

The sides of the great plateau are artificial and remind me of Sky Keep from Skyward Sword, which had part of the Temple of Hylia and the goddess statue on top of it. It's possible the Great Plateau is a much larger version of Sky Keep. They put clouds around the base of the plateau so you can't see where the plateau meets the ground. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe there are signs where it colided with the ground.

Those walls seem more reminiscent of Hyrule Castle/Town that anything else. You can see the large gate to Hyrule town which leads up towards the temple. The entrance area though is underwater in BotW.

You can see it starting here. And then after Link regains control and go towards the first Shrine he passes over the water filled entrance to the city/castle.

So I mean technically the original ToT is there because of the Sky Keep, but I don't think the walls themselves are a result of it. Nor is the plateau some larger version of it.

Also in your own screenshot you can clearly see not too far to the bottom right of the clouds is a cobblestone road that leads towards the main gate. I think the clouds at just there for added ambiance and atmosphere. Again pretty clear from this angle.

RagnarokX

Those walls seem more reminiscent of Hyrule Castle/Town that anything else. You can see the large gate to Hyrule town which leads up towards the temple. The entrance area though is underwater in BotW.

You can see it starting here. And then after Link regains control and go towards the first Shrine he passes over the water filled entrance to the city/castle.

So I mean technically the original ToT is there because of the Sky Keep, but I don't think the walls themselves are a result of it. Nor is the plateau some larger version of it.

The walls are below the ground. But I agree the ruins of castle town can be seen. The part just left of the shrine might be where the drawbridge was, and it leads up to a fountain courtyard. Sky Keep probably lifted this whole area up and moved it away from Ganon.

Not

Banned
Ugh after watching all these videos I went and got to the first dungeon in SS Hero mode. Haven't played since 2011.

It. Does. Not. Hold. Up.

new console ranking:

BOTW (hopefully, but don't see how it won't)

TP

WW

MM

ALTTP

OOT

ZELDA 1

TAOL

SS

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
When they say that they are in the woods southeast of Lake Hylia. They ride from that area to the southern side of the bridge across the lake. You can see the sheikah tower south of the bridge, the bridge itself, and the lake. There are ancient ruins in the forest.

They may have been referring to a shrine, as there are over 100 of those and they have "dungeon" written all over them (literally, in hylian script).

Only the 4 shrines on the plateau are shown giving you a new ability/item. The other 2 shrines they showed were more like dungeons with maze like design and mutiple puzzles.

I think there could be 4 dungeons in the game which are tied to the 4 sheikah pillars surrounding Hyrule Castle.
Thanks, I knew it was somewhere in the Southeast.

Aonuma often does get mistranslated, so it is possible that they meant to talk about shrines. Those columns don't really look much different from the other stuff we've seen.

I didn't see all of the shrines, but there was a later level with rotating platforms, and that seemed to use the runes a lot. I thought you only acquired special items for the first few shrines, and the rest just give you spirit orbs.

Are you talking about those diagonal towers? I could definitely see those being tied to 4 dungeons, although those could be the 4 hardest dungeons you face, as is tradition in the Zelda franchise. If that's the case, there probably isn't 13 dungeons, but maybe just something like 7 or 8, with the last 4 being the ones that let you get into the castle. The 15 regions could be unrelated to the number of dungeons in the game.

Top Bottom