• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GQ: If You Vote For Trump, Then Screw You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blastoise

Banned
Because people who will vote for Trump care what GQ or you think.

All these articles and topics are for anti-Trump supporters to feel better. This ain't gonna change people's minds.

Feel the same way. When your candidate says this:

This is cancer from within. This is something that’s going to be so tough. They stay together. They’re plotting.”

about Muslims.

Is a racist shitbag who uses language like:
Matt ViserVerified account
‏@mviser
“American hands will rebuild our nation. Not the hands of people from other nations.” — Donald Trump

Ben JacobsVerified account
‏@Bencjacobs
Trump says limiting admission of refugees to the US is "not just a matter of terrorism but a matter of quality of life"

Naw, I don't care about your feelings then. Fuck Trump and anyone who supports him.

Izuna

Banned
I teach in Korea.

My middle school students just came into class begging me not to vote for Trump. "Teacher he is... a little strange. Maybe evil guy".

Definitely not voting Trump, but honestly there's not really a candidate that I'm nearly as passionate about as I was Obama in '08. I realize Obama and Hillary's policies are pretty similar though, so I'll probably end up going with her.

Probably?

You're also considering not voting?

Kthulhu

Most likely not. Some people think he isn't and others think he is. Just like Hillary. I doubt it has anything to do with sexism, it's more a question of who you support (democrats and republicans).

Why do you assume that is my opinion?

Because you of what you said.

Anyone who thinks she is somehow unqualified either has a double standard or is ignorant on the legal requirements for president.

Trump has never held public office, I'd say if any makes him unqualified, it'd be that.

bionic77

I always respected other peoples opinions and for the most part would not judge them by who they voted for.

But that is impossible with Trump. The guy is a fascist and racist. If his policies are instituted it will destroy what makes America great. How the fuck could anyone just sit idly by as we move towards that possibility.

I have had to go through some mental gymnastics worthy of a gold medal, but I am trying to not do the same with people dismissing BLM and Kaepernick. Most of them just seem to be dumb or would rather close their eyes than help. If this country was not so racist that everyone would be in the fucking streets about innocent people being murdered by the police. That is how it should work. It certainly has not worked that way thus far...

I am close to 40 years old and this will be the first election where I actively hate both candidates. That said, i will vote straight ticket Democrat, but I might need a drink before and after.

IbukiLordSA

From an outsider, if it were up to me I would vote Trump over Hillary. In all honesty though I am glad to not be in such a situation to have to pick either of them but if I did have to vote it would be Trump.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
From an outsider, if it were up to me I would vote Trump over Hillary. In all honesty though I am glad to not be in such a situation to have to pick either of them but if I did have to vote it would be Trump.
May I ask why?

That is a factor, but it's primarily two things: poor education and an ineffective media. Ralph Nader summarizes things perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIgTUXeItLQ
Thanks, that's a good video.

RPGCrazied

Then I'm glad you can't vote as someone who is in the US. You just don't know the facts. I've been listening to this shit everyday for the past year and know Hillary is the only choice to make this November. End of story.

daveo42

Banned
I've mostly come to terms with voting for Hilary. I'm not a fan of hers in any way and feel she won't do near enough to drive the country forward as I'd like. Then again, I was pulling for Bernie. I also still have trust issues with her as a person and how "ungenuine" she seems to come off most of time. Even so, I realize that Trump is a far worse candidate than Hilary and far too many people have put their support behind him and we could seriously end up with a similar turnout and result as Britan did earlier this year.

As someone who has voted third party in the past, I cannot honestly do that this time. Not just because Jill Stein is insane or Gary Johnson has had some serious gaffes in recent weeks, but because I fear far too many will either stay home from apathy and bigoted and misinformed individuals will simply vote in Trump. That is something that simply cannot happen.

Media

Random and off topic a bit, but does anyone know when Oregon sends out the ballot? I'm registered here but moving to Illinois October 27th ish. Worried about getting my ballot in time. They don't forward ballots do they?

Saiyu

By reducing the focus on Trump and putting a spotlight on Hillary's stances and plans for the country.

Show the world that she's not just 'the better of two evils' but that she is legitimately a great pick for the highest office. Let Trump voters wallow in their self-hate and backwards-ass nominee.
Sway the people in the middle, not through flinging shit towards the bad guy, but by outlining why Hillary is the right pick for their future vision of what the US should be and represent.

Show people what kind of progress could be made with a Hillary presidency. What it would mean for the bottom line of someone's family income or when someone gets sick and needs medical care. What it would mean for women in general, education, LGBT rights, international relations, the list goes on.

Again, you will only push Trump voters further into their isolationist corner if you just come at them throwing insults. It's not even worth the attempt and it's blatantly backwards. It's not about coddling Trump voters, it's about ignoring them completely and rallying around your own damn candidate instead of being on the frontlines throwing bricks.
As someone who lived through Brexit, this man gets it.

I'm going to be honest: I judge every person that I see with a Trump bumper sticker or yard sign. It's exceedingly rare that I judge anyone without getting to know them, but sorry...I think you're probably just a piece of shit human being if you've condoned or excused everything he's said and done up to this point to be bold enough to put his name on or around your person. If you've ignored it, I consider you even more a piece of shit because you're the kind of person that allowed the Republican Party to become this.

By reducing the focus on Trump and putting a spotlight on Hillary's stances and plans for the country.

Show the world that she's not just 'the better of two evils' but that she is legitimately a great pick for the highest office. Let Trump voters wallow in their self-hate and backwards-ass nominee.
Sway the people in the middle, not through flinging shit towards the bad guy, but by outlining why Hillary is the right pick for their future vision of what the US should be and represent.

Show people what kind of progress could be made with a Hillary presidency. What it would mean for the bottom line of someone's family income or when someone gets sick and needs medical care. What it would mean for women in general, education, LGBT rights, international relations, the list goes on.

Again, you will only push Trump voters further into their isolationist corner if you just come at them throwing insults. It's not even worth the attempt and it's blatantly backwards. It's not about coddling Trump voters, it's about ignoring them completely and rallying around your own damn candidate instead of being on the frontlines throwing bricks.
You speak as if this has not been happening throughout the entire Clinton campaign, in the media via her surrogates and specifically here on GAF. Yet it has been, constantly and nonstop. The DNC was the epitome of the very tone you're describing. Yet you are disingenuously portraying this article and the sentiment it represents as being exclusively illustrative of the conversation going on between the Left and voters. And the irony? You talk of convincing people with facts and substance when your own post shows how quickly people ignore those very things when it suits them.

fantomena

Its called having empathy for your fellow citizens. I don't want to live with a dictator, this isn't a third world country. This is America. Land of the FREE.

Land of the free also means the right to vote for horrible candidates.

Also, the term is pretty funny to describe US with.

Eidan

"I lived through one Clinton, and I can live through another."

When that's the most you can say in favour of Hillary you know your argument is fucked.
Good thing it's not the most I can say in favor of her. Not even close.

Seriously, the attempts to create a false equivalency between Trump and Clinton, or to justify voter apathy because Clinton "just can't be trusted" are transparent and weak.

Asbel

It's good to call out the voters sometimes so they know they fucked up. How many Bush voters didn't think they did anything wrong so they vote for the same thing again.

daveo42

Banned
I'm going to be honest: I judge every person that I see with a Trump bumper sticker or yard sign. It's exceedingly rare that I judge anyone without getting to know them, but sorry...I think you're probably just a piece of shit human being if you've condoned or excused everything he's said and done up to this point to be bold enough to put his name on or around your person. If you've ignored it, I consider you even more a piece of shit because you're the kind of person that allowed the Republican Party to become this.

Pretty shameless, but I've been flipping off houses with Trump signs on the lawn as I go for my evening run. I actually want to shake my head in shame whenever I see someone showing their support for a guy like Trump. What is worse is the number of signs that are popping up now as I live in the wonderful battleground state of Ohio.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Education is what you're referring to. And I agree completely that it's a lack of education (as well as years of profiting off misinformation) that got the country into this mess in the first place. It's sad because I don't think you can re-educate such a huge percentage of the population overnight, and the frustration of knowing this is probably what leads so many people, like this editor, to lash out. Humans are recklessly short sighted when it comes to these things, and unfortunately this is just one more in a long list of events that demonstrate how dangerous a thing democracy can be when it doesn't treat education as a constitutional core value on the same level as liberty and justice.

you guys are making things WORSE by attacking trump. really.

you should have realized that by now that this is how he was the nominee in the first place, by saying things that the liberal media would talk for HOURs, and give him free "advertisement".

A lot of his voters are voting for him not because they love him or think he is the perfect candidate, but because they think he is a better alternative. By only attacking him, you are just making him stronger, believe me.

All the clinton's email scandal, clinton foundation money laundering scheme, the possible chronic serious medical illness, does not help her either. Most americans are afraid of terrorism, and Trump is hitting where it hurts, on how to try to attack or fight ISIS.

I am not american, but I live in the US, and unfortunately I can't vote. I will tell you something, and I am calling it right now, Trump will win this election, he is growing on polls everyday, and all those bombing and flag stomping by celebrities are just making things worse for Hillary. When you attack, or name call a trump voter, that same person will be even more pissed and will have extra motivation to go out and vote ,and get more people to vote for Trump

TBiddy

Because you of what you said.

Anyone who thinks she is somehow unqualified either has a double standard or is ignorant on the legal requirements for president.

Trump has never held public office, I'd say if any makes him unqualified, it'd be that.

I'm not American and would choose Clinton over Trump any day. My post was really just a reply to the one who thought it was sexism that caused people not to support Clinton. It might as well just be, that people think she isn't qualified.

HvySky

Just read through this. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and is almost word for word exactly how I feel about the Trump campaign and it's supporters at this point. Clearly nothing is going to get through to actually educating them on the facts of both candidates, and they'll be voting for the Republican candidate for the shallowest, pettiest, generally shittiest reasons.

So yeah, "fuck you" is right.

DpadD

Banned
YOU are the people willing to overlook the fact that Trump is an unqualified, ignorant sociopath because DURRRR HILLARY IS BAD TOO DURRRR.

Grow up.

If you're trying to appeal to swing voters, grow the fuck up.

This whole article reads like a post off Neogaf OT.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Just read through this. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and is almost word for word exactly how I feel about the Trump campaign and it's supporters at this point. Clearly nothing is going to get through to actually educating them on the facts of both candidates, and they'll be voting for the Republican candidate for the shallowest, pettiest, generally shittiest reasons.

So yeah, "fuck you" is right.

I am reminded of that newsroom episode people love to quote in climate change threads, because the same argument does apply here as well: "there was plenty we could have done to change this twenty years ago." Problem is most people aren't capable of thinking that far ahead.

Saiyu

you guys are making things WORSE by attacking trump. really.

you should have realized that by now that this is how he was the nominee in the first place, by saying things that the liberal media would talk for HOURs, and give him free "advertisement".

A lot of his voters are voting for him not because they love him or think he is the perfect candidate, but because they think he is a better alternative. By only attacking him, you are just making him stronger, believe me.

All the clinton's email scandal, clinton foundation money laundering scheme, the possible chronic serious medical illness, does not help her either. Most americans are afraid of terrorism, and Trump is hitting where it hurts, on how to try to attack or fight ISIS.

I am not american, but I live in the US, and unfortunately I can't vote. I will tell you something, and I am calling it right now, Trump will win this election, he is growing on polls everyday, and all those bombing and flag stomping by celebrities are just making things worse for Hillary. When you attack, or name call a trump voter, that same person will be even more pissed and will have extra motivation to go out and vote ,and get more people to vote for Trump
Pretty much this. I dunno if I'd call it a victory yet but the more you marginalise people the worse the situation becomes.

PK Gaming

Yeah I gotta admit, I hate Trump supporters more than Trump himself.

Trump's just a geezer. An out of touch conman who's clearly suffering from various mental disorders. The majority of the people voting for him on the other hand, have a clear state of mind. They're willingly voting for him because on some level they agree with the kind of hate he's offering.

And that to me, is one of the most despicable things a person can sign on to, period. Being aware of Trump's awfulness and still choosing to vote for him. You're a garbage human being if you do that. Just 0 empathy.

When you attack, or name call a trump voter, that same person will be even more pissed and will have extra motivation to go out and vote ,and get more people to vote for Trump

You can't sit down an have a rational conversation with a Trump supporter and then suddenly get them to change their views and vote for Hillary. That ship has sailed. So there is nothing to lose here by telling those people to fuck off.

tuxfool

Banned
The majority of the people voting for him on the other hand, have a clear state of mind.

Do they? I find most of them can't think themselves out of a paper bag.

ZSB7CDC.gif

Mega

Banned
There's nothing worse than telling someone to vote for "you're guy." It'll just drive them to the "other guy" to spite you.

Encourage people to take part. You'd be surprised how many people talk shit but never show up to the polls.

I was listening to a podcast the other day about how you can't really win online arguments and this ties right into that. That writer's (frankly embarrassing) rant will do more harm than good. Basic concepts about how people hold to their beliefs and even those on the fence aren't swayed by scolding are lost by many people yelling at each other on the Internet.

Seeing people with McCain or Romney stickers on their car was like meh whatever. Now seeing Trump stickers on people's cars, I automatically get a feeling of disgust and make It a point to stare them down as I pass them.

Future

Writer says repeatedly that this article isn't meant to convince anyone of anything. Yet in this thread tons are lamenting that this won't convince anyone

And that to me, is one of the most despicable things a person can sign on to, period. Being aware of Trump's awfulness and still choosing to vote for him. You're a garbage human being if you do that. Just 0 empathy.

I learned everything I needed to know about the empathy of Republicans when they started openly supporting torture.

We crossed the moral hazard rubicon a long time ago. Electing Trump would just take a wrecking ball to a decaying structure.

ezrarh

Yeah I gotta admit, I hate Trump supporters more than Trump himself.

Trump's just a geezer. An out of touch conman who's clearly suffering from various mental disorders. The majority of the people voting for him on the other hand, have a clear state of mind. They're willingly voting for him because on some level they agree with the kind of hate he's offering.

Trump is going to go away after this election (provided he lose). The people voting for him will still be here for 2018, 2020, and so on. I think this is just the start of an even more racist and nativist GOP than I thought possible. I'd be happy to be wrong but this isn't going away anytime soon.

I said it before and I'll say this again: going ham like this won't make people change their minds, at all. It will only make them reject change even more.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I dunno..I honestly think there are Trump supporters who are good people, not racist, and 'mean well' for the country, though they probably are the minority. Some people are victims of their limited exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom