• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

molnizzle

People farm Omnigul? When I left, Omnigul was considered one of the worst strikes ever.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

You can cheese it by killing her early with swords, grabbing engrams, then wipe and do it again from the checkpoint. It's basically the modern loot cave.

owlbeak

That one guy who streams a lot of Destiny is still getting green engrams at level 369, when do they stop?
They don't. You still get them for armor and weapon parts. They drop in addition to your regular rewards, not in place of blues, purples, or exotics.

RetroMG

Oh it's still definitely one of the worst strikes if you're doing it normally. People farm it because you can kill the boss before the final room and she drops the same gear as she does at the end of the strike, but you can wipe and kill her again and again without having to run the rest of the strike or start the strike over.

You can cheese it by killing her early with swords, grabbing engrams, then wipe and do it again from the checkpoint. It's basically the modern loot cave.

Oh, that's fantastic. I have to go figure out where my arc sword went. Thanks!

They don't. You still get them for armor and weapon parts. They drop in addition to your regular rewards, not in place of blues, purples, or exotics.

Also it's secretly a great bonus way to get resources if you have the right Ghost for the planet with the "Bonus materials with engram pickups" perk on.

Zakalwe

Banned
I saw couple of guys doing this when I joined the 320 LL version from director. Sounds like an awfully boring way to level up.

This is pretty much the standard for MMO type games. Once you reach a certain point there will be a 'most efficient way', and people will grind it out.

It can bee a lot of fun if you do it with people you get along with, you can set your motions to auto-pilot and just shoot the shit.

Anyone know what the "best" faction is for a hunter who prefers scout rifles and auto rifles? Haven't touched Destiny since Taken King hard mode... Back now with a new character and have no idea lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just want to bring everyone up to speed here because I know a lot of you are crunch-grinding. As far as I can tell, here are your options for getting to 365, and even past that from some of them, once you are closing in on 350:

tip: You are going to be completely overloaded with engrams from any of this- clear out your postmaster before adventuring.

Sepiks Perfected Farm - 320 from the Director

Simply do this full strike and repeat. Enjoy the kickass boss fight tune.

Sepiks coughs up a bunch of loot which can be LL upgrades on death. It's a fairly quick and easy strike, and you can use Three of Coins on Sepiks (unlike Omnigul). This is the best option currently for players who cannot or do not wish to form a DGAF fireteam, as even with randoms the strike is pretty simple.

Omnigul Farm - 320 from the Director

Simply do this full strike and repeat. Drops blues up to 365. Similar to above except you can't use 3oC on Omni, and the enemies are not splicers. Omnigul can no longer be farmed at the bottom of the hill on suicide runs; however the strike itself is quite quick and can be run matchmade.

Other strikes may be farmable as well, but this requires additional testing.

Challenge of the Elders

This isn't exactly a farm, but Variks' rewards for completing an Elder Sigil will be light upgrades for you up to 365. The content is still at 320 (no difficulty increase), and you can do one sigil per character per week. You'll get one weapon and one armor piece from the completed sigil as LL upgrades, up to 365.

You can use Three of Coins on the bosses in here as well.

The way to get your most bang for your buck here is to do your sigil when your character is as close to 365 as you feel you can get otherwise, rather than earlier on- since you'll get potentially decent, legendary gear from Variks and it's a one-shot of higher light. Blues dropping on your main/first leveled-character can very rapidly get your alts up to around the same level, so bear this in mind too. Variks House of Judgment package rank ups can yield even higher-light gear as well.

Heroic SIVA Crisis Strikes

Simply grind strikes in this playlist. For this week your best friend will be a high light Zhalo Supercell since it's Arc Burn.

Blues that drop from bosses can be LL increases, vanguard rep especially with a booster, decent chance of legendary engram drops, skeleton key chance, Three of Coins on the bosses. This is rather tough and not worth the time unless you're overleveled already (past 350) with randoms. With a coordinating group and good loadouts (I also love Bolt-Caster) it's the most fun though.

If you're not trying to maximize your raw Light-per-minute (i.e. to become raid-ready at minute one) and can get a GAF group, I recommend this as the other associated rewards are solid and it's not as mind-numbingly boring as the purely repetitive ones.

Exotic Engrams
Three of Coins (available for purchase from Xur) can be used to get a chance at an exotic engram drop from any Ultra (yellow bar with skull). They can also be used by completing a crucible match. If you do not get a engram drop from one, the next one you use will have a higher chance to drop one, and so on until a drop occurs. The rate seems to be somewhere around 1 in 8 3oCs. Exotic Engrams decrypt up to 385 based on your current light and can be used for infusion (and then repurchased from the kiosk if desired).

Archon's Forge

Located in Archon's Keep on Plaguelands patrol, this is a multiplayer co-op arena in the same vein as Court of Oryx.

Completing a Quarantine patrol mission in the Plaguelands awards a guaranteed SIVA offering for the Forge.

Any offering at the Archon's Forge has a chance to drop gear up to 365 for anyone participating (even if they didn't use the offering themselves). There are also unique legendary loot drops here; these can drop at 365, and class items can drop even higher than that. The thing is that with too few people, you can run out of offerings quite rapidly and have to cut the activity short. If there are 6+ people participating, you'll be able to chain them for a long time.

I suggest entering with a fireteam of 3 if each player has an offering ready. If you find a random who is cooperative, ask about joining their fireteam and you could invite an additional 2 gaffers to the same instance that way for 5 (or more if you continue this process) on the same map.

Here's some additional info about AF including how to force it to matchmake as you enter the area: https://m.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGa...chons_forge_is_its_own_instance_heres_how_to/

Eris/Court of Oryx

You may find as you increase that your artifact is a bottleneck. A 350 is available from the questline "Artifacts of the Iron Lords." The best way to get one above this level is from rank-up packages with Eris Morn. Court of Oryx can be used to grind her rep.

Other Sources of Artifacts
Artifacts (and ghosts) can be found as random drops in Vanguard, Crucible and Faction packages, and Artifacts can be decrypted from Class Item engrams. The raid also has a checkpoint that has a very high (possibly guaranteed) chance to drop one or the other.

Wrath of the Machine
There has been some conclusion on the required/necessary/minimum like to make progress in the raid. While it is listed in the director at 370:
The initial encounter and first boss fight can be completed anywhere in the 350-360 range.
The
Siege Engine
can be completed anywhere in the 355-365 range.
The
first phase of the final boss room
can be completed at ~360. The loot drop from this checkpoint is overwhelmingly likely to give you an artifact or ghost.
The acceptable Light level breakdown per group for the final boss encounter (which is itself ~380) can get quite complex, but a basic (and perhaps obvious) rule of thumb is that the more high light people you have, the more lower light people you can sustain. At 370 for the full party, you are entirely capable of completing it with room to spare. At 373+, the handicap compared to 380 is very minor.

Raid drops begin at LL 365.

The chests inside the raid reward running the sections you can complete mulitple times even if you've already done them on all your characters for the week. Each checkpoint will give you SIVA Fragments (even if you've already gotten loot from that checkpoint); 10 SIVA Fragments can be converted into a key in your inventory, and these can be moved between characters. A SIVA Cache Key can be used at the special chests at each loot checkpoint for extra roll at the loot available from that individual checkpoint, much like Skeleton Keys. Completing the Wrath of the Machine quest from Shiro will also award you with 2 keys.

Crucible
Playing Crucible in your highest light gear yields a chance for progression in that post-match legendary drops are based on your current and can go even beyond 365. Since you can also use 3oC in the Crucible, this is a viable method of Light progression in itself (though not as quick as raiding or some of the farms above).

--

Finally, I urge you to try to bear in mind that rushing to be 360+ in time for the raid is for psychos and you should not feel you're doing anything wrong or being "left behind." Everyone on this forum at all is already in a tiny minority compared to the bulk of the playerbase. As of this writing, the trophy for completing Wrath of the Machine is held by 0.1% of players.

As with all previous I will be running Weekly Newbie Raids that'll include Wrath of the Machine as soon as I feel comfortable enough with it to lead- so don't feel like right now right now right now is your only chance.

--

Also note that it's very much worth doing:
A public event per character per day (45 marks and 3 legendary engrams)
Daily and Weekly Crucible
Daily Story
3 Weekly SIVA Crisis Heroic Strikes (1 per character for legendary engrams)
Court of Oryx to use up any stored runes for Eris Morn rep (rank up packages can have higher LL artifacts and class items)

For marks to fill in any slots where you have <350LL Gear.

I haven't played Destiny since launch but I've been having an itch to get back into it, but a few things are holding me back. None of my friends who I used to play with still play, and I definitely don't have the time to put in like I did back then. So I would be playing more casually and mostly solo/with randoms. Would it still be worth it? Also, since I'm so behind, could I just get the Taken King for now and then Rise of Iron after I finished all the TK stuff or would I be missing out on a lot now that RoI is out and probably all of the current events would require that.

Edit: also, am I going to be completely overwhelmed with the amount of new content since I'm so far behind and just totally lost?

Zakalwe

Banned
Damn, Lord of Wolves is exactly what I want an exotic to be.

- Unique and striking (and more importantly great looking!) aesthetic.
- Unique feel to gunplay
- Great set of perks (even if the unique perk itself isn't wonderful).

Top it all off with an incredible reload speed. This is probably one of my favourite exotics in the game already, too much fun!

Bold One

Oh it's still definitely one of the worst strikes if you're doing it normally. People farm it because you can kill the boss before the final room and she drops the same gear as she does at the end of the strike, but you can wipe and kill her again and again without having to run the rest of the strike or start the strike over.

r6FNJkz.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How come 320 Omnigul drops good stuff when the SIVA strike playlist seems capped at 340? That's really annoying.
It isn't. All blue engrams decrypt to 340 light (guaranteed), but all bosses on the Heroic SIVA Crisis Playlist will drop blues directly that are tied to your own LL, up to 365.

edit: If you mean the 320 non-heroic SIVA Crisis playlist, yah, that's just for getting to 340.

darkwing

Just want to bring everyone up to speed here because I know a lot of you are crunch-grinding. As far as I can tell, here are your options for getting to 365, and even past that from some of them, once you are closing in on 350:

Omnigul Farm - 320 from the Director

Enter with a fireteam and kill Omnigul when you get to the hallway where she briefly appears for a chance at a couple of blue drops, then suicide and repeat.

You need some combination of high DPS to pull this off reliably. I've seen suggested: two tethers and Raze Lighters, 1 tether, 1 celestial nighthawk, and Raze Lighers, tethers and Sleepers, Two tethers, WoL, + Gjallys/Sleeper. Whatever you can do to make it work consistently with your fireteam I guess.

This is the fastest route to strict Light increase for the moment and while boring and not conferring any other benefits, if you really just want to maximize your time to be raid-ready for moment one, do this.

Omnigul Farm - 350 from the Heroic SIVA Playlist

Same deal, do SIVA strikes or Orbit/Reenter until you get Omnigul, kill Omnigul when you get to the hallway where she briefly appears for a chance at a couple of blue drops, then suicide and repeat.

The benefit here is that you can take advantage of the Arc Burn to spike her down which may be easier for some groups. I've heard Stormcallers/Boltcasters can kill her quite reliably. The rest of the strike will be tougher and you have to RNG to get to it in the first place, but once you're on the farm it may be a quicker kill cycle than above. Since you aren't completing the Strike for the other playlist benefits, for the most part the 320 version is just a better bet.

Sepiks Perfected Farm - 320 from the Director

Simply do this full strike and repeat. Enjoy the kickass boss fight tune.

Sepiks coughs up a bunch of loot which can be LL upgrades on death. It's a fairly quick and easy strike, and you can use Three of Coins on Sepiks (unlike Omnigul).

Additional benefits since almost all the enemies in the entire strike are Splicer Fallen: SIVA offerings for Archon's Forge, Splicer Keys. Downsides compared to Omnigul in raw speed, and no Vanguard Rep/skeleton key chance/bonus legendary engrams compared to the Heroic SIVA playlist.

Challenge of the Elders

This isn't exactly a farm, but Variks' rewards for completing an Elder Sigil will be light upgrades for you up to 365. The content is still at 320 (no difficulty increase), and you can do one sigil per character per week. You'll get one weapon and one armor piece from the completed sigil as LL upgrades, up to 365.

You can use Three of Coins on the bosses in here as well.

The way to get your most bang for your buck here is to do your sigil when your character is as close to 365 as you feel you can get otherwise, rather than earlier on- since you'll get potentially decent, legendary gear from Variks and it's a one-shot of higher light. Blues dropping on your main/first leveled-character can very rapidly get your alts up to around the same level, so bear this in mind too. Variks House of Judgment package rank ups can yield even higher-light gear as well.

Heroic SIVA Crisis Strikes

Simply grind strikes in this playlist. For this week your best friend will be a high light Zhalo Supercell since it's Arc Burn.

Blues that drop from bosses can be LL increases, vanguard rep especially with a booster, decent chance of legendary engram drops, skeleton key chance, Three of Coins on the bosses. This is rather tough and not worth the time unless you're overleveled already (past 350) with randoms. With a coordinating group and good loadouts (I also love Bolt-Caster) it's the most fun though.

If you're not trying to maximize your raw Light-per-minute (i.e. to become raid-ready at minute one) and can get a GAF group, I recommend this as the other associated rewards are solid and it's not as mind-numbingly boring as the purely repetitive ones.

--

Finally, I urge you to try to bear in mind that rushing to be 360+ in time for the raid tomorrow is for psychos and you should not feel you're doing anything wrong or being "left behind" if you don't manage to get there or don't feel like getting there. The raid itself is likely to be a primary source of Light progression and we don't yet know how viable it is to get what loot checkpoints at what Light level at all yet- the full picture will be clearer after this weekend.

As with all previous I will be running Weekly Newbie Raids that'll include Wrath of the Machine as soon as I feel comfortable enough with it to lead- so don't feel like right now right now right now is your only chance.

nice breakdown, i'm doing the Septik run , because of the 3oC lol

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't. All blue engrams decrypt to 340 light (guaranteed), but all bosses on the Heroic SIVA Crisis Playlist will drop blues directly that are tied to your own LL, up to 365.

I'm 351 and during the SIVA strikes playlist nothing dropped over 340, not just engrams even normal blue loot. What I'm wondering if why normal blues on the 320 strikes drop LL based gear but using the playlist is capped at 340.

Anyway doing the non-heroic playlist is clearly a waste of time either way so just avoid it totally right now.

How do you guys have so much time to play?

pog11n8q88.png

Very jealous...

I'm very jealous of your kitchen. It's beautiful. Now that I've lived in a really dark theme'd house/kitchen (dark grey), I definitely want a white kitchen now. It makes such a huge difference.

Anyways, you can easily catch up with hard Omnigul in a good 2-3 hour grind session. Boring but very gracious to your time compared to Heroic Strikes.

PuMa

said every Destiny player ever, for the past 3 years. -_-

Right but at least greens stopped dropping before. They are everywhere now!

Hawk be hawkin.

Great post.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm 351 and during the SIVA strikes playlist nothing dropped over 340, not just engrams even normal blue loot. What I'm wondering if why normal blues on the 320 strikes drop LL based gear but using the playlist is capped at 340.

Anyway doing the non-heroic playlist is clearly a waste of time either way so just avoid it totally right now.
Right, if you're at 340 that non-heroic playlist is a waste of time. Non-heroic strike playlists have never had any endgame value so it didn't actually occur to me you were talking about that one, sorry.

edit: and in my tired stupor I'm just remembering now that Wallach and I tried it last night and I can confirm everything drops only at 340, though you do get the Vanguard bonus for extra legendary engrams.

It's good for people who aren't at the bleeding edge like us. A lot of people are getting piecemeal upgrades from the 290-range to ~340 right now and then starting to progress from more of a leveled playing field.

As far as why the Director versions of the newer Strike bosses are dropping progression-worthy loot, it's perfectly reasonable to speculate that they shouldn't be and it will be patched. Alternatively, a generous way to look at it and warrant keeping the ~365 potential-blues is that it incentivizes matchmaking with lower-light players to ensure there director versions won't be empty.

But for anyone who cares about getting to 365 by raid zero-hour, the "why" isn't so important, the community found the path of least resistance and peeps have more than enough time to take advantage of it now.

Levito

Banned
Do any of you have some advice as to where I should raise my light level so I can do Rise Of Iron content? I'm light level 247, how do I get around to 280?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do any of you have some advice as to where I should raise my light level so I can do Rise Of Iron content? I'm light level 247, how do I get around to 280?
You are still in "anything you want" territory. You're going to get huge light increases from blue engrams you find anywhere in the game, all the way to ~340ish. Your Legendary marks can be spent in the Tower on 350-light weapons and armor.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Right, if you're at 340 that non-heroic playlist is a waste of time. Non-heroic strike playlists have never had any endgame value so it didn't actually occur to me you were talking about that one, sorry.

edit: and in my tired stupor I'm just remembering now that Wallach and I tried it last night and I can confirm everything drops only at 340, though you do get the Vanguard bonus for extra legendary engrams.

It's good for people who aren't at the bleeding edge like us. A lot of people are getting piecemeal upgrades from the 290-range to ~340 right now and then starting to progress from more of a leveled playing field.

As far as why the Director versions of the newer Strike bosses are dropping progression-worthy loot, it's perfectly reasonable to speculate that they shouldn't be and it will be patched. Alternatively, a generous way to look at it and warrant keeping the ~365 potential-blues is that it incentivizes matchmaking with lower-light players to ensure there director versions won't be empty.

But for anyone who cares about getting to 365 by raid zero-hour, the "why" isn't so important, the community found the path of least resistance and peeps have more than enough time to take advantage of it now.

Yeah you're totally right I guess it's a bug, honestly I don't think it would be a problem if bosses in general dropped progression LL gear. This hard wall for progression is pretty intense anyway. Do you think that without a group 320 Sepiks is probably the fastest way at the moment? I'd be happy to just run a strike playlist but the heroic playlist with randoms is brutal right now and the lower one is pointless.

elguero

So supremacy is awesome and it might already be my favorite game mode. 10/10, much fun. Rumble supremacy though? Suuucccckkkksssss. Playing a great game but losing to a guy with seven less kills because he was lucky enough to spawn in next to two guys that killed each other leaving two free crests up for grabs is incredibly frustrating.

Top Bottom