• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've come across that a few times, too. And the giant building with a huge sphere that can be moved around. Still have a hunch that is (or was) supposed to do something.

Yeah, something happened just before launch and I'd love to know what. Remember the giant black pyramid with the opening at the top that appeared in the '4 pillars' trailers? Odd, no?

somme

First day back at uni today. One of the students were like "oh, you like No Man's Sky." (They knew from my FB account)

Other students groaned. I asked why and they spat out an almost template response.

I asked whether they'd played it and they hadn't. Of course they hadn't. They lost the argument then, as everyone around them could see - even people who didn't care.

I just saw on reddit that the internal branch has been updated again. Not sure what that means but it has to be a good thing right?

putermcgee

Now well over 45 hours...I suspect closer to 50, and still no sign of the elusive last creature. Several times I have noticed a white dot indicating something, but there is nothing there, just a white dot a few feet off the ground. I'm convinced this is the game bugging out on drawing it properly.
I have had to abandon several planets with just one last animal to scan. It's frustrating, but usually that helps because then you get to walk around a new environment and scan a ton more new things in quick succession. There have also been many times where the last creature is nearby once I've restarted the game (like after an update, or after playing another game).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I haven't been able to collect all the animals on a planet since the last update and it's starting to annoy me. One of the things that kept me interested was looking around interesting planets and searching for all the animals. They just randomly disappear from my list, especially when I get in and out of my ship.

I haven't been able to collect all the animals on a planet since the last update and it's starting to annoy me. One of the things that kept me interested was looking around interesting planets and searching for all the animals. They just randomly disappear from my list, especially when I get in and out of my ship.

Is this happening on every planet, even if they have only a few animals? This is going to sound odd but have you tried dying? Some people had issues clear up when they were killed and respawned.
The only time i've had an issue with the bestiary is when i had 15 beasties to find pre-patch. I've been really lucky with not having many bugs and no game breaking ones. The only one i still get now is the save sound repeating which is merely distracting.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Is this happening on every planet, even if they have only a few animals? This is going to sound odd but have you tried dying? Some people had issues clear up when they were killed and respawned.
The only time i've had an issue with the bestiary is when i had 15 beasties to find pre-patch. I've been really lucky with not having many bugs and no game breaking ones. The only one i still get now is the save sound repeating which is merely distracting.

Yep, it's happening on every planet. Sometimes I think it's sorted because I save without going into my ship and they're still ticked when I reload but then suddenly they're gone again.

OMG this game just begs you to hate it when you start to have fun

My current warp reactor theta is broken have all the items to fix it

I heard her say item repaired but nope stoll has a (!) AND ATE MY RESOURCES TWICE

Harlock

I create the star. Maybe, who knows. Not going to the center, because black holes can break warp drivers with very annoyng elements to fix. I will go back to the game to see any update or kust relax in a cool planet. Wish the galaxy was smaller, to find planets other people had visited. I wonder if the expanded the star numbers in the first patch to hide the lack of online interaction.

I create the star. Maybe, who knows. Not going to the center, because black holes can break warp drivers with very annoyng elements to fix. I will go back to the game to see any update or kust relax in a cool planet. Wish the galaxy was smaller, to find planets other people had visited. I wonder if the expanded the star numbers in the first patch to hide the lack of online interaction.

They spread them out 4x in number distance in the day one patch. Originally you started 60,000 light years from the center. That's why you can warp 1,600 light years but only get 400 closer.

r1chard

Not soon after the subreddit is reopened. Surprise (not).

Anyway, most of us hang out in /r/NoMansHigh anyway where the signal to noise ratio is waaaay higher...

Burny

So I ended up buying Elite + the season pass on sale, and it's almost everything that I wanted NMS to be. The sheer variety of things to do is actually a bit intimidating as a n00b. The combat is miles better, but a lot of the other mechanics would have been trivial to include in NMS and it's a real shame Hello didn't. The one thing NMS does do a lot better are the planet surfaces, I can't help but wish there was a hybrid game so I could have the best of both worlds.

Elite is still far away from what the devs envision it to be. But it's very, very slowly getting there. Maybe "space legs" (first person traversal) will be part of the next "season", but the current "Horizons" season seems to be stretching - multi crew with character customization and one unknown update will take well into 2017 to be released. David Braben has also mentioned big game hunting on earth like worlds during the kickstarter phase, but that seems very far out, if it's coming at all.

So yes, in some two years or so, Elite might come close to being that hybrid game. But it'll probably never be as approachable as NMS and will also more likely than not always have the same issues as other games with a largely procedurally generated world - little authored content.

Unai

Has anyone ever tried moving away from the center? I wonder what the farthest is you could go.

Apparently you reach a point where there's no more stars away. The Euclides Galaxy has a radius of 180000 light years, give or take.

UCBooties

I was watching some videos about people trying to activate the portals and I'm more convinced that they are just artifacts from the earlier, more robust build of the game. I wouldn't neccesarily preclude the inclusion of a long running difficult to solve puzzle in a game like this, but watching people trying to interact with them got me thinking about them in a wider sense.

When we saw the portal in the "portal gameplay" trailer it was made obvious that you had to go through on foot. So it would make sense that you would have to expect to leave your ship behind. I think that when they were planning this game out, in addition to a much more robust crafting system, they originally wanted to make it very easy to find new ships.

Now, with the game as it currently is, everything tied to progression is based around upgrading your suit and your ship. If you abandoned your ship you would be completely stuck on the new world until you found a crashed ship or managed to buy a new (very expensive) ship. With the game as it is currently balanced, there is no point in going through a portal if you are just going to have to walk back through to get back to your ship.

Think about it. You activate the portal, you walk through, you look around at the new world you found. Now you either walk right back through that portal so you don't lose your ship and resources and upgrades. Or you strike out to explore. Now the game doesn't give you any way to track portals, so you'd be very likely to lose track of it and be stuck on the new planet. At that point it could take you an incredibly long time to either find and repair a crashed ship, or find someone selling a ship that you can (maybe) afford.

I think that in previous builds they didn't gate your progression so much by draining your resources and breaking components on your ship. I think that it was originally supposed to be much easier to leave a ship behind and know you could always find a new one without getting stuck for too long. With that in mind, I would be very surprised if they ever actually activated the portals. They just don't make any sense with the balance and gameplay loop in the released version of the game.

Jobbs

Banned
And I was going now full speed to the center,

Br00TCn.gif

belvedere

Junior Butler
I was watching some videos about people trying to activate the portals and I'm more convinced that they are just artifacts from the earlier, more robust build of the game. I wouldn't neccesarily preclude the inclusion of a long running difficult to solve puzzle in a game like this, but watching people trying to interact with them got me thinking about them in a wider sense.

When we saw the portal in the "portal gameplay" trailer it was made obvious that you had to go through on foot. So it would make sense that you would have to expect to leave your ship behind. I think that when they were planning this game out, in addition to a much more robust crafting system, they originally wanted to make it very easy to find new ships.

Now, with the game as it currently is, everything tied to progression is based around upgrading your suit and your ship. If you abandoned your ship you would be completely stuck on the new world until you found a crashed ship or managed to buy a new (very expensive) ship. With the game as it is currently balanced, there is no point in going through a portal if you are just going to have to walk back through to get back to your ship.

Think about it. You activate the portal, you walk through, you look around at the new world you found. Now you either walk right back through that portal so you don't lose your ship and resources and upgrades. Or you strike out to explore. Now the game doesn't give you any way to track portals, so you'd be very likely to lose track of it and be stuck on the new planet. At that point it could take you an incredibly long time to either find and repair a crashed ship, or find someone selling a ship that you can (maybe) afford.

I think that in previous builds they didn't gate your progression so much by draining your resources and breaking components on your ship. I think that it was originally supposed to be much easier to leave a ship behind and know you could always find a new one without getting stuck for too long. With that in mind, I would be very surprised if they ever actually activated the portals. They just don't make any sense with the balance and gameplay loop in the released version of the game.

I've wondered the same thing. What I can't figure out however, is why the hell they're still in the game. Being procedural generated and based on comments Sean has made regarding asset creation/modification, wouldn't it be fairly trivial to simply remove the portal assets from the game?

SomTervo

I've wondered the same thing. What I can't figure out however, is why the hell they're still in the game. Being procedural generated and based on comments Sean has made regarding asset creation/modification, wouldn't it be fairly trivial to simply remove the portal assets from the game?

The idea behind the portals was that they would warp you to a resource-rich planet nearer the centre where you could get some cool stuff, but you wouldn't have your ship and it might be more dangerous. The idea was to tryst in, farm stuff, tryst back out. You weren't supposed to stay on this other planet.

Why the fuck they don't work, though? Who knows.

I had zero problems finding discoveries made by other people since you can simply use the left buttton (PS4) to scan nearby systems for other people's discoveries. At one point I visited nothing but stuff found by other people out of curiosity.

The idea behind the portals was that they would warp you to a resource-rich planet nearer the centre where you could get some cool stuff, but you wouldn't have your ship and it might be more dangerous. The idea was to tryst in, farm stuff, tryst back out. You weren't supposed to stay on this other planet.

My guess is because the game was released in an incomplete state.

I think the last month prior to release, when they announced the delay, they did a big hatchet-job on a lot of the game's intended features because they were getting pressure from Sony to release ASAP and none of that stuff was ready yet.

Last minute cuts - like whatever multiplayer "thing" was going to be in there was just cut outright and they slapped a sticker over the box to cover their own asses.

I bet they had some other things that weren't ready yet and decided to just cut them out of the game. Who knows if we'll ever see those things, whatever they were.

What's amazing is that they released the game as-is with literally nothing to do but scan things, farm mats and increase your inventory - over and over and over and over again.

In one of their last posts before they went dark, they mentioned adding base-building and personal freighters, but that's probably a lie too since they've never given any other updates on that or shown any concept images or previews for that matter.

At this point, they should just "minecraft" the game and let people just build/mine mess around with terraforming the land and whatnot. I mean, what else is there to do anyway?

I still have a faint hope though. There is a solid foundation there. They just need to DO something with it.

UCBooties

Even if that's true it goes back to my point about them not really fitting with the game as shipped. All the planets are the same, so there's no point in popping through a portal to see one closer to the center. It's a leftover from when the game was supposed to be more interesting and difficult as yougot closer to the center.

Now it would just be walking through a portal on a planet with a green sky to end up on a planet with a red sky. Although I guess it would be hilarious if you got a portal to a planet with gravatino balls and every time you agroed the sentinals you just ran back through the portal.

They don't work because they serve no purpose in the game as built. They're still there because the functionality was probably cut too late for them to strip the assets.

No Man's Sky is the Space Mining Simulator of my dreams

got a few hours to play this by myself for the first time the other night. so beautiful. very fun to land on a planet, leave your ship, and get lost.

the mining itself is very satisfying and an OCD way.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No Man's Sky is the Space Mining Simulator of my dreams

got a few hours to play this by myself for the first time the other night. so beautiful. very fun to land on a planet, leave your ship, and get lost.

the mining itself is very satisfying and an OCD way.

It's nice to see someone fresh to the game and liking it. My advice would be to enjoy it and stay away from any NMS related threads or media (I'm serious). Just play it.

I've been saying they're relics from past builds/ideas for a while. They make no sense with the way the game is structured now. Even if they were activated by a patch they would serve no purpose. I doubt that will happen anyways unless they use a loading screen like warping.

The pacing they originally talked about seemed much better than what they ended up with. Maxing out on your first planet in a game about visiting different worlds is bad game design.

Last minute cuts - like whatever multiplayer "thing" was going to be in there was just cut outright and they slapped a sticker over the box to cover their own asses.
Never was there a multiplayer element. There wasn't even an infrastructure for it (there's barely one for the labeling system). It's pretty obvious that Murray said you could see other players without even the first thought that people would ever meet anyone else. And even if there was anything at all, it was just being able to see other players, not some deep deathmatch scenario.

What's truly wrong isn't missing features. It's the watered down features that are already there. Too much of everything. Too many settlements. Too many ships. Too many suit upgrades. Far too many resources. Too much ability to carry too much. Two elements power everything (with the one great exception being Warp Cells). I've seen two settlements so ill-placed, it seemed like they were added late on just so every player could get off their starter planet. We know NPCs were added late on, because it would have been even more empty...yet it just highlights it. And there was nothing wrong with it being empty in the first place. Not every planet needs to have something on it. If that's the case, to provide the player with enough to leave the planet, then why not just rig it at the start, like they did with blueprints?

In trying to please most of the people most of the time, they've alienated a lot more in the process.

Well you have to keep in mind that the universe was completely different pre-release (and pre-leak). Starting area was the easy zone, and got progressively harder and weirder as you travelled towards the center.

The way Sean framed it, the portals provided a risk-reward system. You step through to a planet closer to the center, with richer resources but also more danger from creatures and from environmental hazards. It didn't really sound like portals were a shortcut, but more of a "how long can you survive before you run back through the portal". My feeling is the difficulty scale got flattened when they quickly reshuffled the universe. I think the transmission towers also used to point to portals on other planets; they definitely pointed to something off-planet because they still display text suggesting that.

Why exactly they did all this stuff at the last minute, who knows. It must've been in a pretty bad state and either Sony said "we're not changing our marketing plans again, you have a month to ship" or they ran out of money, or both, and they did an emergency scramble to try to get something shipped.

mokeyjoe

Apparently you reach a point where there's no more stars away. The Euclides Galaxy has a radius of 180000 light years, give or take.

It's bigger than that. I'm 210k light years out at the moment.

I read somewhere someone got to the edge at 213k, so I'm not far off, I think.

MrBigBoy

I can pick this game op for 25 euros for PS4. I don't have a PS4 yet, but preordered the Pro. Should I buy it now for that price or wait till November for a possibly cheaper price?

Shaneus

Only just realised the MT max number of slots is 24. I passed up an awesome organic-looking MT from the Vy'keen because it only had 24, while I currently had a 24-slotter :(

Jacknapes

Picked it up for the price i was happy with, which was £24. Played a bit, can't say it's the best i've played. Don't get me wrong, it's enjoyable in it's own way. I love exploring the planets and extracting minerals for fuel/upgrades. Love landing on planets and just exploring around.

Crispy

I can pick this game op for 25 euros for PS4. I don't have a PS4 yet, but preordered the Pro. Should I buy it now for that price or wait till November for a possibly cheaper price?

I got it for 30 and definitely got my money's worth, so I'd take it if I were you. With any luck there have been some content patches by the time you get to play it!

I picked this up for 35 in B/S/T, and finally fired it up a couple nights ago. It feels like the progression system is such that you get upgrades to do things just a bit better without any new mechanics. Jetpack that doesn't die quite as quickly, mining beam that mines a bit faster, sprinting that lasts a bit longer, etc. The game is pretty to look at, but I run out of inventory space so quickly that I feel like I can't explore much without having to run back and go find a trading terminal, either from an outpost or a space station. I think if the game started you with more inventory to start with and then gradually gave you more from there, the beginning grind would be a little easier to deal with. As it stands I've played it for like 2.5 hours and I don't know how much more I will play it. Which is sad, because I really wanted to like this game despite the bad press, but it just feels like the mechanics are kinda getting in the way of the exploratory nature of the game.

UCBooties

Well you have to keep in mind that the universe was completely different pre-release (and pre-leak). Starting area was the easy zone, and got progressively harder and weirder as you travelled towards the center.

The way Sean framed it, the portals provided a risk-reward system. You step through to a planet closer to the center, with richer resources but also more danger from creatures and from environmental hazards. It didn't really sound like portals were a shortcut, but more of a "how long can you survive before you run back through the portal". My feeling is the difficulty scale got flattened when they quickly reshuffled the universe. I think the transmission towers also used to point to portals on other planets; they definitely pointed to something off-planet because they still display text suggesting that.

Why exactly they did all this stuff at the last minute, who knows. It must've been in a pretty bad state and either Sony said "we're not changing our marketing plans again, you have a month to ship" or they ran out of money, or both, and they did an emergency scramble to try to get something shipped.

Yeah, clearly they ran up against some kind of hard stop, whether it was technical ability or fiscal reality and had to make some drastic changes. It would be fascinating to know just how much was working at least close to intended before they had to start pulling things out. We know that their demos were smoke and mirrors but I'd love to know if there was a build that was at least close, maybe on a smaller scale.

I don't have a lot of hope for post release patches and updates but I'm still curious about if the game will ever get close to the build they were using before release.

I've never seen evidence of this, though. It was just something talked about, never seen in footage.

I see no reason to assume that the game once actually contained more content that was cut, vs. comments just being made about things they intended to be in that were never actually implemented in anyway.

Top Bottom