• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
If I just wanted to try VR for a bit, but don't see myself committing until maybe next year with the Vive, would it be wise to play it for a week or two and then try selling it at cost (or return it if possible)? I have the $500 bundle pre-ordered and have a free month of game fly to try a couple of the $50/60 games out.

That or I cancel the pre-order because it's not worth the hassle.

It's really hard to gauge the hype on this. I'd say it's not worth the hassle but I'm the type of turkey that gives away his old stuff instead of dealing with the hassle of Craigslisting it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Have you tried any of the Best Buy demos? Mine definitely was not set up by some sort of hardware engineering wizard.

Whatever. We're splitting some really thin hairs here. If "not as good as the competition" is equal to "tracking issues" then we know what we're working with. I just thought that shit was understood going in...

I understood that it wouldn't be vive in that it didn't have room scale and it didn't have the open platform of the PC behind it.

What I didn't expect was issues with tracking. They may only be here and there, but that's enough to ruin it. It's disorienting and it's frustrating personally as a gamer to me when stuff doesn't work as it's supposed to. I distinctly remember playing through dead space on psmove with my girlfriend and hitting the button on the side of the psmove to recenter the crosshair as it drifted all over the place. It was beyond frustrating. like I said before even if that only happened 3-4 times in an hour long session it's a real bummer for how I feel about PSVR. Prior to today everything I had read was that its tracking was on par with Vive and Rift. Apparently it's not.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I understood that it wouldn't be vive in that it didn't have room scale and it didn't have the open platform of the PC behind it.

What I didn't expect was issues with tracking. They may only be here and there, but that's enough to ruin it. It's disorienting and it's frustrating personally as a gamer to me when stuff doesn't work as it's supposed to. I distinctly remember playing through dead space on psmove with my girlfriend and hitting the button on the side of the psmove to recenter the crosshair as it drifted all over the place. It was beyond frustrating. like I said before even if that only happened 3-4 times in an hour long session it's a real bummer for how I feel about PSVR. Prior to today everything I had read was that its tracking was on par with Vive and Rift. Apparently it's not.

Fair enough. I didn't think any of us were of the opinion that the PS Move would be on par with the Vive's motion tracking seeing as how we had personal experience with it given the fact that its been out for over 5 years. We all get to decide what concessions we are willing to make. That's why we've got these reviews.

Now that I recall, my first time seeing the PSVR in person, someone ahead of me was playing London Heist. I remember specifically a moment where his PlayStation Move controllers were twigging out and all over the place, and at one moment they were pointed at him. This was at a local GameStop store.

Er...where exactly? Randos on gaf? It's been understood since some of the first demos (after Vive was revealed/demoed at trade shows) that the tracking wasn't as precise as the latter two, especially Vive. That isn't a knock per se, but you can't really expect as good of tracking fidelity in that price range.

Maybe they should have mentioned that during the stream then (didn't watch the whole thing but didn't really hear them say that to reassure people as much as they harped on how it wasn't working for them), and not just that they've had the same issues at home to give the whole story which they made sure to mention a few times. Ofcourse they were still being fair harping on the issues whether or not it ends up tied to their units or setting or actual software problem.

On the positive side for all their problems apparently the visual output of the headset quite impressed them.

Er...where exactly? Randos on gaf? It's been understood since some of the first demos (after Vive was revealed/demoed at trade shows) that the tracking wasn't as precise as the latter two, especially Vive. That isn't a knock per se, but you can't really expect as good of tracking fidelity in that price range.

I don't recall reading too much headset tracking problems in the past, the only area it mainly got some criticism at being worse at tracking was the with the Moves supposedly being less precise than the newer Vive controllers, which agreed is not unexpected given the cheaper price and ofcourse lack of room scale tracking. It's like half the price of the Vive though so lesser controllers isn't too bad as long as the headset itself especially does it's job.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Fair enough. I didn't think any of us were of the opinion that the PS Move would be on par with the Vive's motion tracking seeing as how we had personal experience with it given the fact that its been out for over 5 years. We all get to decide what concessions we are willing to make. That's why we've got these reviews.

I'm not referring to the wands here, I'm just making the comparison in that any sort of misfire in gaming like that drives me nuts. I liken it to a button tap not going through. Imagine high paced platformers and you need to time your jumps perfectly, but for whatever reason the x button is like... nah and you just fall. I've had it happen with older controllers or games having a hiccup and it's frustrating, but it's very very rare. PS move it wasn't. Agressive movements threw it off for me in a big way, so for games like disc golf or ping pong, I was constantly re calibrating. Sometimes I'd be holding the disc paralell to the ground, but it'd be pointing upwards and whatnot.

It's also why I wrote off kinect pretty much from the get go (ever wonder what the bottom of the avatars shoe looks like?!) the tracking was so mediocre.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but if that number of occurrences is anything but rare for me it's disappointing. I want my devices to work as they're supposed to, and in this case if it doesn't, it leads to all sorts of problems such as nausea and ruins the immersion.

I've said it several times, I'm too invested in this now, I'm too hyped to not get it, I'm really looking forward to it... but my expectations have dropped for now.

edit-

I'm not referring to the wands, I'm talking about headtracking.

edit edit- I also don't really give 2 shits about the wands, all I'm interested in is the HMD. Move wands are a mediocre tech. I have them already so I'll probably use them for games like until dawn and whatnot, but overall I'm not interested in using those for full experiences. I was hoping the farpoint controller would improve the issues of move- impressions have been really good about how it feels.

Fisty

This is strange how people are expecting PSVR to be on part with products twice the price. I've had Moves for 5+ years, it's a decent starting point for VR controls and it's cheap as hell.

Why doesn't this product that has been on shelves for 5+ years not work perfectly for something it wasn't really created for? And why is something that was made specifically for this purpose, costs twice as much, and came out this year, perform better?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This is strange how people are expecting PSVR to be on part with products twice the price. I've had Moves for 5+ years, it's a decent starting point for VR controls and it's cheap as hell.

Why doesn't this product that has been on shelves for 5+ years not work perfectly for something it wasn't really created for? And why is something that was made specifically for this purpose, costs twice as much, and came out this year, perform better?

Again I'm not talking about the wands here, the move wands are trash tech IMO. I'm talking about the headset. I don't think ANYBODY is expecting PSVR to be the vive or rift in terms of visual fidelity, but in terms of headtracking? Hell yes I was. Headtracking is the key to VR, it's what creates presence when coupled with the FOV. If that's off even a hair it's disorienting and nauseating.

I'm not referring to the wands, I'm talking about headtracking.

edit edit- I also don't really give 2 shits about the wands, all I'm interested in is the HMD. Move wands are a mediocre tech. I have them already so I'll probably use them for games like until dawn and whatnot, but overall I'm not interested in using those for full experiences. I was hoping the farpoint controller would improve the issues of move- impressions have been really good about how it feels.

Gotcha, yeah head tracking should be more than adequate and that swimmy motion GB was experiencing is hopefully just a faulty unit occurrence and not a sign of a bad batch/larger manufacturing issue. I'd like to get one at some point so hopefully they can iron out any problems in the pipeline that may be occurring, and it isn't a larger tracking design/tech issue.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I find the logic I'm reading here odd. We have Giant Bomb talking about problems and we have Gamestop saying there are no problems, so what's the conclusion? 'We'll have to wait and see'.

Why?

Are those people in the wait and see camp thinking it could be a fault that made the PSVR actually work 'correctly' for Gamespot? It's not a matter of which is telling the truth because I watched a bit of both and Gamespot had no problems just like they said, just as Giant Bomb had problems just like they said.

This only leaves ONE conclusion: something was wrong at Giant Bomb's end. That's all you can take from their stream. Something can't WORK when it's broken or of low quality. Stop this nonsensical back and forth and try to work out what went wrong with Giant Bombs stream. The firmware update? The lights or set up?

If people are using the Giant Bomb stream as a reason to doubt the PSVR even though we've got others saying they had no problem ... then I'm sorry, I can't take you seriously and have to suspect your motives.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Gotcha, yeah head tracking should be more than adequate and that swimmy motion GB was experiencing is hopefully just a faulty unit occurrence and not a sign of a bad batch/larger manufacturing issue. I'd like to get one at some point so hopefully they can iron out any problems in the pipeline that may be occurring, and it isn't a larger tracking design/tech issue.

That's what I'm hopeful for. After months of trade shows I hadn't seen one negative comment. I was shocked tbh at first because the move tech was so troublesome with calibration. I figured it was the combination of software upgrades, maybe a tweak to the design, and the new camera since the pseye was pretty awful in certain lighting. Apparently this issue sounds like standard move stuff, where it needs very particular lighting, and it can be quite finnicky. Now I'm really interested to see somebody "stress test" it if you will. I know it wouldn't be common, but try some jarring/rapid head movements see how the tracking holds up. As I said with move, if the wands were swung around too much the cursor would drift really badly. I wouldn't expect it at all to be the same level, but even if it's only off a bit, that can ruin the VR experience.

I find the logic I'm reading here odd. We have Giant Bomb talking about problems and we have Gamestop saying there are no problems, so what's the conclusion? 'We'll have to wait and see'.

Why?

Are those people in the wait and see camp thinking it could be a fault that made the PSVR actually work 'correctly' for Gamestop? It's not a matter of which is telling the truth because I watched a bit of both and Gamestop had no problems just like they said, just as Giant Bomb had problems just like they said.

This only leaves ONE conclusion: something was wrong at Giant Bomb's end. That's all you can take from their stream. Something can't WORK when it's broken or of low quality. Stop this nonsensical back and forth and try to work out what went wrong with Giant Bombs stream. The firmware update? The lights or set up?

Again you must not be reading the reviews, because there are several that cite a few tracking issues. Also Eurogamer apparently had a faulty unit as well. One of the problems is people read a positive review and assume everything went great. a few of the more positive reviews have mentioned minor issues of calibration.

I've trawled through a whole bunch of written reviews and the median opinion seems to be
- The move controller tracking can be janky
- The headset tracking is good but with the proviso
a) if you adjust the camera for your height , the floor may be out of reach (of controllers and of headset if you feel the need to put your head on the ground)
b) if you sit too far away tracking is worse. 10 feet gets mentioned. So you either move a chair closer to the camera, best-buy style, or you move the camera closer to you. I suspect this is the source of a lot of headset tracking complaints.
c) the small dual shock controllers are easily obscured from the camera or lost by the camera, depending on how you like to hold them, which gets annoying.

So that's basically it. I'd say anything worse than this is some extra problem that shouldn't be there with a good unit.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That's what I'm hopeful for. After months of trade shows I hadn't seen one negative comment. I was shocked tbh at first because the move tech was so troublesome with calibration. I figured it was the combination of software upgrades, maybe a tweak to the design, and the new camera since the pseye was pretty awful in certain lighting. Apparently this issue sounds like standard move stuff, where it needs very particular lighting, and it can be quite finnicky. Now I'm really interested to see somebody "stress test" it if you will. I know it wouldn't be common, but try some jarring/rapid head movements see how the tracking holds up. As I said with move, if the wands were swung around too much the cursor would drift really badly. I wouldn't expect it at all to be the same level, but even if it's only off a bit, that can ruin the VR experience.

Again you must not be reading the reviews, because there are several that cite a few tracking issues. Also Eurogamer apparently had a faulty unit as well. One of the problems is people read a positive review and assume everything went great. a few of the more positive reviews have mentioned minor issues of calibration.

Something can't work properly by accident. If it worked for some then it should work for everyone given the same situation, set up, lighting. We just need to know what they did wrong so we know how to rectify it when we eventually get PSVR.

I just find it crazy that people are ignoring the good reviews and just taking the less than stellar reviews to form an opinion on the quality of the hardware. You can't do that if it works for some but not others. It HAS to be the set up or some other random thing.

Kurdel

Banned
I find the logic I'm reading here odd. We have Giant Bomb talking about problems and we have Gamespot saying there are no problems, so what's the conclusion? 'We'll have to wait and see'.

Why?.

What are you talking about? Gamespot had the same issues:

Gamespot PS VR review said:
While there’s a lot to like about PSVR, it also has several of issues. The PlayStation Camera can encompass a max 6.2x9-foot play area, but I noticed that when I stood more than eight feet away from the camera, I experienced a very unpleasant visual jittery effect, as if the camera had started to lose depth perception. Even at closer ranges, I noticed the DualShock controller in front of me start to jitter, though it happened to a lesser extent. Getting too close to the camera, however, also presents problems.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What are you talking about? Gamespot had the same issues:

Look, you're now being picky to prove a point. No one said perfection here. Giant Bomb's stream was filled with all sorts of problems that they spent 80% of the stream talking about constantly. Gamespot might have had a few problems but the only time they mentioned it while I was watching was in answer to a post they read in which they were asked if they were having problems just like GB. They answered 'no'.

You see, we're still doing it here. It's illogical unless you assume it was a fault that made it work for Gamespot and the reason it was not working for GB is because the tech was working is it should.

Can't you see how illogical that is? If someone had a game and it ran at 60fps on their PS4 but ran 55fps on your PS4, would you assume it was because their PS4 was faulty? Of course not, you'd immediately want to know what was wrong with your PS4.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Something can't work properly by accident. If it worked for some then it should work for everyone given the same situation, set up, lighting. We just need to know what they did wrong so we know how to rectify it when we eventually get PSVR.

I just find it crazy that people are ignoring the good reviews and just taking the less than stellar reviews to form an opinion on the quality of the hardware. You can't do that if it works for some but not others. It HAS to be the set up or some other random thing.

NOBODY is ignoring anything except people like you imo. Bad experiences are more often than not outliers, but it doesn't mean it's not a problem. The major problem I have though is you claim to have paid attention to the "good reviews" and refused to acknowledge that even the good ones mention tracking issues. Look at the gamespot in the post linked above. This is not a unique problem, it appears this has the same tracking inconsistencies as psmove.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Look, you're now being picky to prove a point. No one said perfection here. Giant Bomb's stream was filled with all sorts of problems that they spent 80% of the stream talking about constantly. Gamespot might have had a few problems but the only time they mentioned it while I was watching was in answer to a post they read in which they were asked if they were having problems just like GB. They answered 'no'.

You see, we're still doing it here. It's illogical unless you assume it was a fault that made it work for Gamespot and the reason it was not working for GB is because the tech was working is it should.

Can't you see how illogical that is? If someone had a game and it ran at 60fps on their PS4 but ran 55fps on your PS4, would you assume it was because their PS4 was faulty? Of course not, you'd immediately want to know what was wrong with your PS4.

Wait what are you even saying. That judder and drift have been mentioned in a ton of reviews - Kotaku, gamespot, giant bombs stream, Eurogamer, mashables, and roadtovr. I don't think anybody is saying it'll be a problem like giant bomb was havung- what it does show is that sonys colored light technology still appears to be having issues with consistent tracking.

Can't you see how illogical that is?

This.

Pretty much this, some of the problems seem accurate but there's enough good that GB's "extra bad" shouldn't be used as "ammo" until the resolution as to what caused their problem, whether it's defective, a real issue, software, etc.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
NOBODY is ignoring anything except people like you imo. Bad experiences are more often than not outliers, but it doesn't mean it's not a problem. The major problem I have though is you claim to have paid attention to the "good reviews" and refused to acknowledge that even the good ones mention tracking issues. Look at the gamespot in the post linked above. This is not a unique problem, it appears this has the same tracking inconsistencies as psmove.

You're missing my point. Let's leave it there because I've said it as many ways as I can in order to be clear. I choose to believe the tech is solid based on the fact it worked well for a lot of people. What I now want to know is why it didn't work for some so I can make sure I set it up right when I finally buy one.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You're missing my point. Let's leave it there because I've said it as many ways as I can in order to be clear. I choose to believe the tech is solid based on the fact it worked well for a lot of people. What I now want to know is why it didn't work for some so I can make sure I set it up right when I finally buy one.

I haven't missed your point. You've missed mine and other people's points. VR needs to have perfect headtracking to be great. It just does. For some people it might not be a problem... for others the prospect of drift or judder is enough to make them feel queasy just thinking about it. My other problem with it is that the distinct possibility is there. Something like rigs for instance, which is supposed to be a highly competitive game, needs quick, snappy, and precise response in order for it to be considered as a legitimate competitive game. If the tech is unreliable games like that will fail.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm hangin on to my pre-order still in hopes that I can calibrate it properly, but admittedly I'm nervous now.
I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but if you live anywhere in the west, I don't see what's to be nervous about. If it's not working to your satisfaction, or if the unit is defective, just return it to a store you got it from. You'll know this after just few hours, if not less. I'd be bummed if it doesn't work well enough, for sure, but I think that if the vast majority can set it up properly, I'll be able to as well.

Keep in mind also that three of the most technically minded review sites have been very positive about it: Ars, Road to VR and Eurogamer should hold more weight IMO than most, when it comes to review of a tech like this.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Wait what are you even saying. That judder and drift have been mentioned in a ton of reviews - Kotaku, gamespot, giant bombs stream, Eurogamer, mashables, and roadtovr. I don't think anybody is saying it'll be a problem like giant bomb was havung- what it does show is that sonys colored light technology still appears to be having issues with consistent tracking.

Seriously look ... to put it in a nutshell: Some people are using GB to say it's rubbish and some people are using Gamespot to say it's good. You wouldn't assume that a fault with the hardware would make it work so clearly there isn't a fault with the hardware. The only logical thing is to try and find out why it didn't work for GB. It's illogical thinking to look at it any other way. Is it perfect, NO. Is it as bad as GB made it look, Not even close.

pj

Banned
If you look at the video, they had bright colored lights shining on the walls. They turned off the main lights, but didn't turn off the colored ones. The PS VR was most likely getting confused by those lights. The fact that they were a concentrated color light probably was the absolute worst situation to try to view use the PSVR since those lights would simulate the LEDs the most.

See for yourself.

At the 14m41s mark they show you a view from the PlayStation Camera. You can clearly see a bright red light on the right side of the picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mF6m_WJF8&feature=youtu.be&t=14m41s

At around the 20m40s mark they turn off the lights, but you can see that the bright lights on the walls stay on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mF6m_WJF8&feature=youtu.be&t=20m40s

Are you kidding me?

The tracking lights are blue, and that red light is at least 5 feet from where he's sitting. You can't see a hint of red light when they turn the lights down, and the camera is pointed in that light's general direction. If that little red light is fucking things up, PSVR's tracking is simply not good enough for the real world.

Maybe all the obsoleted dark rooms for developing film can be repurposed as PSVR play spaces because that's apparently what you need for it to work right.

Seriously look ... to put it in a nutshell: Some people are using GB to say it's rubbish and some people are using Gamespot to say it's good. You wouldn't assume that a fault with the hardware would make it work so clearly there isn't a fault with the hardware. The only logical thing is to try and find out why it didn't work for GB. It's illogical thinking to look at it any other way. Is it perfect, NO. Is it as bad as GB made it look, Not even close.

Unless you think they faked the problems then it is 100% as bad as it looked in their setup.

Maybe I'm wrong but to me he's just saying that some problems may exist but that GB's were above and beyond so they shouldn't be the "end all be all" when there are plenty of good reviews that faced few or much more minor calibration, jittering, etc. even when they did experience it. He's not saying it's perfect or without issues or that GB's problems should be written off or not acknowledged by prospective buyers. I think his point is that when talking about it people should cite both not just one extreme or the other.

Yeah because that's a completely painless process.

Flashbacks to the RROD days should give people pause about this sort of thing.

Equating it to RROD that effected virtually all of the launch units just to allow MS to launch a year earlier than the competition? C'mon on now.

Kurdel

Banned

Why are you ignoring the other outlets reporting similar issues?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Are you kidding me?

The tracking lights are blue, and that light is at least 5 feet from where he's sitting. You can't see a hint of red light when they turn the lights down, and the camera is pointed in that light's general direction. If that little red light is fucking things up, PSVR's tracking is simply not good enough for the real world.

Maybe all the obsoleted dark rooms for developing film can be repurposed as PSVR play spaces because that's apparently what you need for it to work right.

Unless you think they faked the problems then it is 100% as bad as it looked in their setup.

This is what I mean ... Madness. It's illogical thinking.

The tracking lights are blue, and that light is at least 5 feet from where he's sitting. You can't see a hint of red light when they turn the lights down, and the camera is pointed in that light's general direction. If that little red light is fucking things up, PSVR's tracking is simply not good enough for the real world.

The camera probably knows how to account for natural light or standard indoor lights (and this probably still needs software improvements as these headsets evolve) but any extra colored lights are probably a nightmare.

The dualshock can be different colors and still needs to be tracked for example.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why are you ignoring the other outlets reporting similar issues?

Did you watch GB? Something was wrong. Dear God, this is infuriating. It's NOT perfect, as I've already pointed out, but clearly from all the reviews and all the other people I've seen demoing it, it's no even close to as bad as GB made it look. And I'll add that Jim Sterling and Gamespot were just playing the games while GB seemed to be constantly jerking it this way and that and contorting their arms in all sorts of unnecessary ways.

I feel as if you're trying to drag my argument to the extreme in order to retain your position on this.

pj

Banned
The camera probably knows how to account for natural light or standard indoor lights (and this probably still needs software improvements as these headsets evolve) but any extra colored lights are probably a nightmare.

The dualshock can be different colors and still needs to be tracked for example.

That is ridiculous.

Distinguishing RED from BLUE is literally the easiest thing to do in computer vision. Don't want to see red? Don't look at the R values in your RGB image.

It should also be able to ignore things that are far away from the last known position from the headset.

I could see if the headset was using red LEDs AND he was standing near that light, but neither of those things were the case.

BillyJack

Banned

Am I missing something? I only see GB commenting on this issue your talking about. Is it really widespread?

That is ridiculous.

Distinguishing RED from BLUE is literally the easiest thing to do in computer vision. Don't want to see red? Don't look at the R values in your RGB image.

It should also be able to ignore things that are far away from the last known position from the headset.

I could see if the headset was using red LEDs AND he was standing near that light, but neither of those things were the case.

That would be true if nothing else could be red but the dualshock light can be red and a Move light can be red.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but if you live anywhere in the west, I don't see what's to be nervous about. If it's not working to your satisfaction, or if the unit is defective, just return it to a store you got it from. You'll know this after just few hours, if not less. I'd be bummed if it doesn't work well enough, for sure, but I think that if the vast majority can set it up properly, I'll be able to as well.

Keep in mind also that three of the most technically minded review sites have been very positive about it: Ars, Road to VR and Eurogamer should hold more weight IMO than most, when it comes to review of a tech like this.

Actually Ars said lighting plays a big factor. Eurogamer got a faulty headset and had to swap it out... as for roadtovr.

"Curiously, despite also using an outside-in tracking system, I’ve still seen a fair share of drift of Playstation VR. The good news is that Sony has made it easy to reset at any time by holding the Options button for a few seconds (however some apps seem to only treat that reset as a positional calibration and not a rotational recentering).

Why it drift happens in the first place on PSVR though is a bit of a mystery to me. I haven’t been able to put my finger on it just yet, but it seems to happen worse in some experiences than others; it could be a case of newer drift-correction code not yet being applied globally. Whatever the case, there’s hope that this could be improved through software with later updates."

So they've been positive, but struggled with drift in fact a "fair bit". Also I'm worried because I want the tech to be good. Iv'e been excited for this for a while, and now it appears it has the same issues move has in general with drift.

My core argument has never been that it will be disastrous though, and I think most concerned, are worried about the drift, not the outright failure of the headset.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Am I missing something? I only see GB commenting on this issue your talking about. Is it really widespread?

yes you are missing something. I'm talking about drift. more than just GB have mentioned it.

- eurogamer
- kotaku
- roadtovr
- gamespot

to name a few. there are more I'm not remembering at the moment for sure. Gamespot and roadtovr have direct quotes a few posts up.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Actually Ars said lighting plays a big factor. Eurogamer got a faulty headset and had to swap it out... as for roadtovr.

"Curiously, despite also using an outside-in tracking system, I’ve still seen a fair share of drift of Playstation VR. The good news is that Sony has made it easy to reset at any time by holding the Options button for a few seconds (however some apps seem to only treat that reset as a positional calibration and not a rotational recentering).

Why it drift happens in the first place on PSVR though is a bit of a mystery to me. I haven’t been able to put my finger on it just yet, but it seems to happen worse in some experiences than others; it could be a case of newer drift-correction code not yet being applied globally. Whatever the case, there’s hope that this could be improved through software with later updates."

So they've been positive, but struggled with drift in fact a "fair bit". Also I'm worried because I want the tech to be good. Iv'e been excited for this for a while, and now it appears it has the same issues move has in general with drift.

My core argument has never been that it will be disastrous though, and I think most concerned, are worried about the drift, not the outright failure of the headset.

Well, to be fair, I wasn't addressing you in my original post, I was addressing those that are investing entirely in the GB demo without taking into account the others. We'll leave it at that because we'll end up recalibrating. :)

yes you are missing something. I'm talking about drift. more than just GB have mentioned it.

- eurogamer
- kotaku
- roadtovr
- gamespot

to name a few. there are more I'm not remembering at the moment for sure. Gamespot and roadtovr have direct quotes a few posts up.

No the topic changed to talk about drift, before the topic was overall tracking and lighting.

But GB was facing much more than drift which was, at least it seemed like to me, what got Jeff's ire up, not so much the drift.

Vic_Viper

Yea this is definitely a wait and see. I really wouldn't buy this day one after seeing and reading about the problems. Id rather wait till they fix these issues then jump on to the train too quickly.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No the topic changed to talk about drift, before the topic was overall tracking and lighting.

But GB was facing much more than drift which was, at least it seemed like to me, what got Jeff's ire up, not so much the drift.

drift is a serious problem though. It's not outright devastating like the GB situation, but it may even be related to the gb situation. They mentioned it also happened at home, and it lines up with the same issues the move wands had, where calibration was all over the place and very finnicky depending on the lighting situation.

risq_aus

Banned
then I'm sorry, I can't take you seriously and have to suspect your motives.

Lol what? People have motives because they are cautious about laying down money on new tech in an industry where new tech fails to take off more often than not?

People are allowed to be cautious without there being some kind of secret conspiracy to see Sonys latest product fail. Lets not forget this is just a message board we are posting on, we aren't going to make or break Sonys success.

nikos

Do we know if existing VR content works? For example, YouTube VR videos, or VR videos played through the PS4's media player?

Top Bottom