• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Review Thread

JPS Kai

I do want to see how Driveclub VR holds up on the PS4Pro. That extra resolution or processing power better be worth a damn.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
At the end of the day, what I got from the games reviews is that VR is something that need to be tested in a game-by-game basis.

I think VR software will have the most trade/return rate for now on.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
At the end of the day, what I got from the games reviews is that VR is something that need to be tested in a game-by-game basis.

I think VR software will have the most trade/return rate for now on.

You never know when it will hit you. All it takes is some bad game design decision. I had that happen for couple of Vive games. I refund them in a blink, because having a game making you physically sick is very rough.

BadHand

Some really bad ones..

The disparity of ratings for those VR games will be a challenge... When a game can have 80 and 10.. Or Rigs being the most comfortable to some and the worst to others..

I think the goods news about that is that demos will need to make a return. So people can try before they buy.

Soi-Fong

I gotta say - that fucking SUCKS if you need the pro model to make it playable/not a sickness machine.

Holy fucking shit.. How many times does it need to be said? PS4 Pro isn't needed to play PSVR.

All the games by Sony's standards stick to the required 90 or 120 fps and do not dip from that..

A PS4 Pro will not alleviate sickness if a game decides to hurl you from one end of the room to another.

thats my biggest beef with PSVR. Room scale seems like the future of VR. I personally would never want to invest that much money in a headset that already seems limited at launch.

Room scale is great for non-gaming applications but for gaming do you really want to be running around jumping turning twisting non-stop for an extended amount of time? Not me. It will get tiring fast.

farisr

I do want to see how Driveclub VR holds up on the PS4Pro. That extra resolution or processing power better be worth a damn.
I gotta say - that fucking SUCKS if you need the pro model to make it playable/not a sickness machine.
The benefits that will come from a PS4 Pro mode would not fix motion sickness issues from games. Also, Driveclub VR has been confirmed to not get Pro Enhancements already by Rushy.

PBY

Banned
Holy fucking shit.. How many times does it need to be said? PS4 Pro isn't needed to play PSVR.

All the games by Sony's standards stick to the required 90 or 120 fps and do not dip from that..

A PS4 Pro will not alleviate sickness if a game decides to hurl you from one end of the room to another.
Agree, and that's how I think it is going to work - was just addressing that commenters point. Think that would be a bad precedent for someone like me, who may get VR, but who will never upgrade to the pro.

The benefits that will come from a PS4 Pro mode would not fix motion sickness issues from games. Also, Driveclub VR has been confirmed to not get Pro Enhancements already by Rushy.
cool

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Stuck deciding between Battlezone and Rigs. Tough decision. Any help from anyone who has played both? I'll be playing single-player.

Gastone

Got a call from GS today saying my PSVR was ready for pickup tomorrow. Not sure if i did the right thing, but i told him i just wanted to cancel the pre-order. I´ve had the HTC VIVE for a little over 2 months now, and after everything i´ve read, from impressions to reviews, it just doesn't seem like it´s worth spending the money for a sub-par VR unit. I really want to get my hands on Batman Arkham VR, but i´m hoping it will find it´s way to the PC in the near future.

Gonna be spending that money on a PS4 Pro instead...or a GTX 1080. Argh..

Qwark

Stuck deciding between Battlezone and Rigs. Tough decision. Any help from anyone who has played both? I'll be playing single-player.

RIGS looks to be more impressive to me, but motion sickness is a concern for both. I'd try demos and then decide.

farisr

You sure? I think that was DriveClub Non VR
Yep I'm sure, there were two tweets from Rushy on the matter. One that was in response to a person specifically asking for the non-VR version, and one made talking about both games. The first one is the one that keeps on getting posted so most people (including me until recently) thought that DC VR would be getting a Pro patch.

Neither DC or DC VR will take full advantage of the PS4 Pro, & there are no plans to do so in the future either.

Edit: or maybe not. LOL. Not taking full advantage, but there are still going to be Pro enhancements:

We haven't harnessed the full power of the PS4 Pro, but there will be a few more visual details enabled.

I´ve had the HTC VIVE for a little over 2 months now... I really want to get my hands on Batman Arkham VR, but i´m hoping it will find it´s way to the PC in the near future.

Like I've been saying all along on the Xbox-PS4 side, 98% of non-first party, non-niche exclusive content will come to competing platforms within usually six months. That seems to be the sweet spot in terms of the price/effectiveness of an exclusivity window.

Anarion07

Yep I'm sure, there were two tweets from Rushy on the matter. One that was in response to a person specifically asking for the non-VR version, and one made talking about both games. The first one is the one that keeps on getting posted so most people (including me until recently) thought that DC VR would be getting a Pro patch.

Neither DC or DC VR will take full advantage of the PS4 Pro, & there are no plans to do so in the future either.

Damnit. Thanks though.

Shoot. It sounds like DC:VR is a tough one to take too.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/review/a810513/driveclub-vr-review-a-vomit-comet/

I preordered it and it's already downloaded to my PS4.

Knew I should have waited with that one, but Digital Spy do have kinda a sensationalist reputation so, fingers crossed.

I wouldn't worry too much, impressions were generally positive

Z3M0G

It was Eve. Man, it's rough. https://youtu.be/BYKbKqQhsXY

The absolute first thing I did in VR an hour ago was play EVE, and immediately started doing barrel rolls, flying as close to large ships as possible, looking all around, etc...

ZERO motion sickness.

I watch the reaction in this video, and I wonder if there is something set up wrong... because my experience (other than the shitty resolution and slight headache I have now) was perfect.

I wouldn't worry too much, impressions were generally positive

lol..you wouldn't worry too much that DC was so nausea-inducing that the reviewer had to fling off the PSVR and rush to the toilet?

I think Sony is going to have to be far more strict about their cert process for VR games. Nausea might be tolerable for VR enthusiasts, but for the mass market this could easily turn into a PR nightmare. People don't expect a tech gadget will make them physically ill. DC should not have been allowed to launch if it's making people that ill. Sony has to create a rep with the PSVR that it is safe and reliable.

Anarion07

lol..you wouldn't worry too much that DC was so nausea-inducing that the reviewer had to fling off the PSVR and rush to the toilet?

I think Sony is going to have to be far more strict about their cert process for VR games. Nausea might be tolerable for VR enthusiasts, but for the mass market this could easily turn into a PR nightmare. People don't expect a tech gadget will make them physically ill. DC should not have been allowed to launch if it's making people that ill. Sony has to create a rep with the PSVR that it is safe and reliable.

Since plenty of other people susceptible to motion sickness already said that DC VR does a great job avoiding it, yes, I'm saying he shouldn't worry too much.

Soi-Fong

The absolute first thing I did in VR an hour ago was play EVE, and immediately started doing barrel rolls, flying as close to large ships as possible, looking all around, etc...

ZERO motion sickness.

I watch the reaction in this video, and I wonder if there is something set up wrong... because my experience (other than the shitty resolution and slight headache I have now) was perfect.

It'll be different for everyone per game. I'm the same way with Eve, but a game like Luckey's Tale made me real sick.

Synless

Wait... how is Driveclub VR, a new game that came out after the pro required date, not going to get a patch for pro?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's not how reviewing a game works. It's not advertising, to hide the bad parts.
I know people who can't play FPS games or dual analogue controlled games.
Would their review of a FPS game be valid to you?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I know people who can't play FPS games or dual analogue controlled games.
Would their review of a FPS game be valid to you?

Are they professional reviewers? If yes, then why wouldn't be? Their opinion might not reflect your experience with the game? That's perfectly fine, the reviewer opinion must not reflect your experience, but his. Your opinion will not coincide with the opinion of all the reviewers either, most of the time. You're free to consider it or ignore it, too. So what's the issue?

But that's not even the case here. You're trying to blame on the reviewer what's practically a game design decision. The same reviewers don't have any issues with a lot of other VR games, but you're still trying to generalise it for whatever reason.

dochuge

I absolutely disagree with his review. No motion sickness for me whatsoever. Walking around a decrepit claustrophobic city feeling uneasy as you know you are being seen and watched. The feeling of being isolated and alone in the world is intense. I don't scare easy and I must say that I've been rattled a few times and the feeling I get playing it is unsettling. It is like walking into your own surreal nightmare. Now it is pretty low res and it is more of an experience than a game but I've never experienced anything like it.

Nesther

Had my premiere yesterday and was wondering: Is there a difference between the games on the demo disc and the full games? Just tried Water World and it was not bad when it comes to blurriness. Tumble was a bit worse but still tolerable. But RIGS blurriness was really off-putting to the point where I couldn't read the enemies names in the distance.

As I just opened my VR yesterday I haven't messed around with it too much, and I knew going in that the picture wasn't going to be as sharp an on TV, but still.
I went through all settings and calibrations in hopes of fixing it, even adjusting the eye to eye distance.

Edit: Ah,meant to post this on the other VR thread. Sorry for the bump!

Top Bottom