• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Switch fails to turn on investors, surprises unannounced

Kamina

Golden Boy
They don need to 'turn on' investors anyway. They need to turn on customers. If it sells stocks will rise.

If Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 9 and a new Galaxy/64 style 3D Mario game come to this system, I will buy one. Don't care what investors think.

I really don't think they should wait until next year to talk more about the Switch. They've built up a lot of excitement and momentum with the reveal trailer and it just seems like it'll be wasted if they wait that long. Also, I don't want to wait till next year to see more :(

I think they're being quite clever by holding back info. There's a lot of software and hardware coming out this Christmas and it could be easy to forget about the Switch. Investors will come around when we get closer to launch.

They missed the part of announcing a console that releases in 5 months where you give the consumers a price and let them throw their money at it.

Now it's gonna go the way of PAX tickets, where I'll be at work one day and completely miss the 10 or so minutes it's in stock.

Disappointing to hear we might not find anything else out until next year. What the hell?

oti

Banned
Hopefully they get to switch investors minds with the surprises.

What investors think shuldn't bother us too much unless the stock drops by a very huge amount for some reason. This is just investors telling Nintendo "we're not convinced" which, newsflash, investors never really are. They'll have the meeting to address some concerns and ask questions for them.

thefro

I don't think investors/most analysts (sans Pachter) actually looked at the reaction to this thing from gamers and the tech/gaming media being quite positive. Zelda will give this thing a really good start and that's not even counting several other titles (Splatoon/Dragon Quest in Japan, etc).

Also, I think we're a bit more clued in on the price point range than they are (since we pay attention). Serkan Toto thought it looked like it was going to be $399 and was having a small melt down over it on Twitter.

jblank83

My mother texted me just a few hours after the news. Lady is over 60. This is the first time that's happened with any video game system.

I'm not saying the Switch is going to sell 200 million units. I'm just saying the trailer and the coverage around it was effective enough to saturate the market such that a 60 year old lady who doesn't play games other than her phone games knew about it after just 2 hours.

I don't think investors/most analysts (sans Pachter) actually looked at the reaction to this thing from gamers and the tech/gaming media being quite positive.

I was surprised at how positive the reaction was here, tbh. There were numerous people stating they had no interest in Wii/Wii U who were interested in Switch.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think they're being quite clever by holding back info. There's a lot of software and hardware coming out this Christmas and it could be easy to forget about the Switch. Investors will come around when we get closer to launch.

I think they are also wary of making too many promises about "launch window" software after the disaster of Wii U's first year. When they have their software slate set-in-stone, they will show us more. We saw with Zelda that months of silence are quickly forgotten.

If I had stock I would sell. This is the WiiU 2. Underpowered as always but this time the gimmick is they will only have one console revenue stream rather than two. Then they don't announce much and say to wait until 2017 for more info. Assuming they have good news to share at least some people might have saved some Xmas money for Switch upon that information.

Not surprising, there isn't much in the trailer to be really excited for that we didn't know about prior to the trailer. Before this trailer, we knew there'd be a new Nintendo console that was hybrid and that some Nintendo games would be on it. That's about all we found out in the trailer. There was no information on price, or an actual release date, or actual games announced, online, UI, etc.

The fact that they even bothered to show the trailer with essentially nothing new is sort of baffling, actually. Nintendo has a lot of information that they need to convey in a significantly short period of time, and this announcement which could have excited investors did the opposite.

nubbe

Nintendo hasn't reported cost, price, expected sales or games
there is nothing to invest in at the moment
the trailer is just marketing

Principate

Saint Titanfall
^^^this Nintendo's stockholders have to be some of the dumbest, oldest, idiots ever.

Breh your talking as if Long term Nintendo stop holders are the cause of this which likely isn't the case. That stock was increased and likely fell largely due to traders people that made money on the short term sharp rise in stocks and cashed out when they no longer believe the stock will continue to rise. Most of the likely don't even give a fuck if Nintendo has the best selling console or closes up shop tomorrow, they've made their money.

My mother texted me just a few hours after the news. Lady is over 60. This is the first time that's happened with any video game system.

I'm not saying the Switch is going to sell 200 million units. I'm just saying the trailer and the coverage around it was effective enough to saturate the market such that a 60 year old lady who doesn't play games other than her phone games knew about it after just 2 hours.

I was surprised at how positive the reaction was here, tbh. There were numerous people stating they had no interest in Wii/Wii U who were interested in Switch.

It's Nintendo's replacement for the 3DS, of course it will have more interest than the Wii U by default.

Mosse

Neo Member
Old games, huh? Is that what you call a remaster, new Mario Kart, new Splatoon, new Zelda, new Mario, etc.?

I maybe misunderstood the mario kart and splatoon games, they looked like remasters with some extras, if they are actualy new entries in those series then it sounds much better. I would however call a remaster of a five year old game old and would prefer a new console reveal to showcase more new games, like more of that mario game. I guess I just had different expectations then you

Peterc

I feel Nintendo is afraid to show the stuff what makes the switch special.

- They are still afraid that the idea would be stolen
- by sending confusing messages.

But they already told us there are secrets to unveal.

What could that be?

Force feedback?

takriel

What could that be?

Force feedback?

Come on. It's done. That's it. We know exactly what Nintendo Switch is.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
its like clockwork. stock rises prior reveal, stock falls after reveal.

What could that be?

Force feedback?
Nothing.

I mean, the console already has 10 Million views on YouTube in less than a day...

Almost as much people watched the trailer as people bought the Wii U in the last five years lol

I mean, the console already has 10 Million views on YouTube in less than a day...

Almost as much people watched the trailer as people bought the Wii U in the last five years lol

I don't think trailer views = sales

I would be worried as an investor on this honestly. I don't see any reason to think the Switch is going to magically sell way more than the Wii U.

What could that be?

Force feedback?

Well switchable joy cons is definitely one of them

I would be worried as an investor on this honestly. I don't see any reason to think the Switch is going to magically sell way more than the Wii U.

I can see your point, I just disagree with it.

The general reception and appeal of this thing is noticiable better (and bigger) than anything Wii U has ever accomplished.

holding the cards so close when this thing is only 5 months out is especially strange. the reveal should have been a lot more comprehensive. the hype from this trailer won't last more than a few day without any more info coming out. there's already very little to discuss about this new fangled console and its been a day.

If you can feed it a sim card with a regular ass contract and it works, that's a bigger game-changer than anything they've shown and said. Carrying a tablet around just for gaming, without you being able to read neogaf, makes no sense to the average joe.
I can't see the sim card thing happening because it's Nintendo we are talking about. It's a gaming device you can carry everywhere, with local multiplayer on the go, that's how they are marketing it. Yeah, it's stupid and I don't know why the reaction has been so positive (personally I travel for work so it's perfect for me). Of course, having something like Pokemon Go on it would be amazing, but when you have a sim card you must have a phone number, a contract depending on the country, etc.

Pineapple

I'm guessing one of those surprises is Smash 4 Ultimate edition with new characters and/or stages, or even the Super Smash Bros collection (remastered Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, along with 4). Along with Gamecube Joy-Cons.

Of course, instead of hyping the hell out of this, Nintendo will wait until 7 weeks before the launch of the console to tell everyone.

Peterc

Come on. It's done. That's it. We know exactly what Nintendo Switch is.

They said:

Nintendo hinted it still has unannounced surprises up its sleeve. “We haven’t shown everything,” a Nintendo spokesman said, adding the company would provide additional information about the Switch next year, before its scheduled launch in March.

+ Emily said this too...

I believe them before you.

Btw, love this art:
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CvScIJLUMAE8IQ9.mp4

God these threads are fucking frustrating.

Everytime people post and leave and don't bother to learn that this happens every time. People sell on news, buy on rumors.

But someone will still make the thread next time.

Surprised at the investor reaction when the general reaction seems to have been rather positive (although I personally was underwhelmed).

akileese

Surprised at the investor reaction when the general reaction seems to have been rather positive (although I personally was underwhelmed).

They just buy up the stock pre announcement, it goes up a couple of points, then they unload the stock. This has happened every single time with every Nintendo announcement.

ec0ec0

Now watch Nintendo fuck up on both accounts.
They really need to price this aggressively. They are the only console manufacturer who can take a bit of a loss on each unit if need be.

videogames is, basically, their only business, at least for now. Furthermore, they are merging their handheld and console lines. One is not going to be there to save the other. They are only releasing one product.

Fbh

It was expected.

Plus the reception to it seems really mild.

I really don't get the strategy of not building any hype around their system.

It was like: "so here is a video showing the concept....aaaaand that's it for the Switch this year"

Literally everyone I've talked about the Switch so far has had a "wait and see" reaction to the system.

I think all depends on the price:
300$ -> bomba
250$ -> could be successful, could not
200$ -> success

Oh come on. $200 is like £130 (or at least was when sterling was stable), which is £30 cheaper than the current retail price of the New 3DS. They're not, ever, ever going to sell something like the Swtich for that price. That's insane.

It'll probably be £300/$350, realistically. The PS Vita, which had a lower resolution, less power, and didn't double as a home console, was $250-$300 on release- and that was five years ago.

I agree that over $350 would just 'feel' too much to most people, but we already know that Nintendo is not going to sell the Switch at a loss. So it's going to be expensive, like it or not. Although I seriously doubt it'll be more expensive than buying both the Wii U and 3DS on launch would have been.

Whether the price will wash with mainstream audiences remains to be seen, but from the trailer this is clearly being marketed as an everyday luxury, much as iphones and ipads are marketed. The more expensive price could work, who knows. I don't care too much about markets though; I'm just looking forward to buying a Switch and playing all the great new Nintendo games, and all the Japanese 3rd party stuff that is a continuation of the excellent support that the 3DS had.

OCD Guy

No but it shows interest, and curiosity. Do you think a new Ouya would garner the same attention? Of course not. I think some people underestimate the power Nintendo has as a brand.

If we compare it to the WIi U then firstly most people didn't know it existed, and those that did didn't even know what it was.

Well infact they did know what it was, it was a controller add on for the Wii. Do you not remember the reveal trailer and how often "New Controller" was mentioned.

Add to that the same colour scheme and using Wii name and it was just destined for confusion.

I know some people are predicting worse sales than the Wii U, but that is NEVER happening in my opinion.

But talking about anything now means nothing, we will all see the results come launch....

If this thing is DoA at launch Nintendo might be done.

lol This is never going to be DoA.

I'm shocked people think it will sell worse than the Wii U.

Maiar_m

Oh come on. $200 is like £130 (or at least was when sterling was stable), which is £30 cheaper than the current retail price of the New 3DS. They're not, ever, ever going to sell something like the Swtich for that price. That's insane.

It'll probably be £300/$350, realistically. The PS Vita, which had a lower resolution, less power, and didn't double as a home console, was $250-$300 on release- and that was five years ago.

I agree that over $350 would just 'feel' too much to most people, but we already know that Nintendo is not going to sell the Switch at a loss. So it's going to be expensive, like it or not. Although I seriously doubt it'll be more expensive than buying both the Wii U and 3DS on launch would have been.

Whether the price will wash with mainstream audiences remains to be seen, but from the trailer this is clearly being marketed as an everyday luxury, much as iphones and ipads are marketed. The more expensive price could work, who knows. I don't care too much about markets though; I'm just looking forward to buying a Switch and playing all the great new Nintendo games, and all the Japanese 3rd party stuff that is a continuation of the excellent support that the 3DS had.

Agreed. 350€ or $ (because that's how it's going to work out at best) for the whole package (so dock and pro included) is my guess. I wouldn't feel ripped off. New ideas don't come cheap, even if the tech isn't bleeding edge (and then again, the terga isn't exactly dull either)

The stock was overbought after they said an announcement was coming Thursday, so the drop is just people banking profits on idiots who jumped in at the last minute to ride the announcement. The share price prior to Wednesdays announcement of an announcement already factored in the upcoming console launch and much of the rumors we had were accurate.

takriel

Now that's interesting. Exactly what Nintendo wants I imagine.

Top Bottom