• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Switch fails to turn on investors, surprises unannounced

What haven't they announced? The spec?

I wonder if this was all they had and now they're changing stuff up to keep the shareholders happy.
My guess would be the tablet is Android based which would allow their mobile apps to run on it and make it easier to support various media apps. My other guess, which is unlikely, is they announce 3DS compatibility.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
For a portable, the hardware is anything but weak. Just because it's not PS4 Pro level doesn't mean it's weak. Come the hell on.

Will that be the default answer when all 3rd party ports look terrible in comparison to other systems "but it's a handheld" that will get used in the home 90% of the time.

Honestly, as someone who actually worked on Wall Street once upon a time, this has about as much relevance as a wet fart in the wind. "Market Reactions" are more often than not irrational herd responses to stimuli about which most people - even the so-called "experts" - have nary a clue. The bottom line is ~90% of market price has nothing to do with actual company performance. Nintendo will be just fine. The Switch looks like a solid product and, assuming it has a reasonable price and solid 3rd party support they're going to do well with this part.

extensive third-party support, along with a price tag below $300, would be key for the console to be a much-needed success for Nintendo.
Now watch Nintendo fuck up on both accounts.
They really need to price this aggressively. They are the only console manufacturer who can take a bit of a loss on each unit if need be.

AniHawk

Will that be the default answer when all 3rd party ports look terrible in comparison to other systems "but it's a handheld" that will get used in the home 90% of the time.

i think the system is very accurately a portable with a tv out that's being marketed as a console that can be taken on the go.

No specs, no price, no game announcements, no "surprises" beyond what was leaked, no news of mobile integration etc..

Of course investors aren't going to react positively, there's nothing for them to react to.

TheJoRu

Basically: the shares are dropping because "buy on rumor, sell on news" and now people are extrapolating their own concerns and opinions as explanations for it.

JoeM86

They really need to price this aggressively. They are the only console manufacturer who can take a bit of a loss on each unit if need be.

No, they're the only one who can't.

When they did with the 3DS, it led them to their first financial loss ever in a fiscal year. The 3DS took off, at significant loss per unit, and it damaged the company and spurred the "hurr Nintendo are doomed. Iwata should be fired" bollocks.

Sony and Microsoft are both larger companies and just eat the loss, and have done many times.

Not true. Both Sony and Microsoft have taken losses on hardware this generation. Microsoft seems to be doing it currently.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It is an uncharacteristicly 'boring' Nintendo hardware announcement IMO. No real novelties, nothing really surprising or new. It's basically a Shield. Is there much to talk about here on the hardware side?

The value is all in the concept of a single point of access to all Nintendo software for the coming cycle, something Nintendo - afaik - hasn't explicitly confirmed.

I feel like the appeal is all riding on that - and it certainly might be enough. But I don't see the kind of market-making unconventionality that the Wii and DS possessed, and the Wii U and 3DS at least attempted. It's all on the draw of the software now.

crinale

When they did with the 3DS, it led them to their first financial loss ever in a fiscal year. The 3DS took off, at significant loss per unit, and it damaged the company and spurred the "hurr Nintendo are doomed. Iwata should be fired" bollocks.

Sony and Microsoft are both larger companies and just eat the loss, and have done many times.

Yeah ppl think WiiU damaged the financial but it really wasn't the case; it was OG 3DS (very first lot) having way too luxurious that jacked up BoM. Heck I'm still using those units :D

I think the big question here is who Switch is for. In Japan consoles have a tough time, in the West handhelds have a tough time. So no matter from where you look at it Switch is always kinda odd. Some will also fear it will go the way of the Vita but since it's Nintendo I doubt that.

Definitely not the Wii audience; no, that market has moved on and entrenched itself in mobile.

At least from this first trailer, the hypothetical specs and the genre of titles, I see this console more as a pitch towards the semi-hardcore/hardcore crowd as a companion device. Nintendo is positioning it as a console to fit into any kind of lifestyle, with the ability to play on a TV set up or off of it; it won't be the thing that occupies your gaming focus, but it is something that people wouldn't mind having alongside, and most importantly, that you can easily access in multitudes of ways. Kids and families might also find some novelty in the screen-switching, controller-swapping design.

can you really get a tablet that's legit stronger than last gen console spec like Wii U for under $300? I mean, sure I never followed news of mobile tech outside of mainstream phones and tablets but I never realize tech have come that far.

Seriously, there is a massive disconnect between investors and consumers in this case.

Is that number of views really unusual for the reveal of new hardware generation? I watched it and I'm not particularly interested in buying one right now. i would think any one who is interested in gaming would at least check it out.

AniHawk

It is an uncharacteristicly 'boring' Nintendo hardware announcement IMO. No real novelties, nothing really surprising or new. It's basically a Shield. Is there much to talk about here on the hardware side?

The value is all in the concept of a single point of access to all Nintendo software for the coming cycle, something Nintendo - afaik - hasn't explicitly confirmed.

I feel like the appeal is all riding on that - and it certainly might be enough. But I don't see the kind of market-making unconventionality that the Wii and DS possessed, and the Wii U and 3DS at least attempted. It's all on the draw of the software now.

i would assume that not all of the details of the platform and how it might interact with nintendo's plans were revealed today. this is a platform made with not just stuff like nintendo account in mind, but also their other more recent initiatives. i think the switch will rather comprehensively cover all their bases for the new direction iwata set for the company.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
My guess would be the tablet is Android based which would allow their mobile apps to run on it and make it easier to support various media apps. My other guess, which is unlikely, is they announce 3DS compatibility.

Could be, they could also have a virialised solution like PS3 and Xbox One have where you can have a GameOS and a System OS running side by side (not in parallel on the PS3, in terms of the Linux OtherOS) and both on top of a hypervisor. I think that they would want native NX games (I will keep using NX as the X is a perfect shorthand for a switch ;)) running on top of Android. Even NDK activities do have a minor penalty compared to more direct hardware access solution such as what you have on iOS or even more on 3DS and PS Vita.

antonz

This is literally how pretty much every public traded company fluctuates when it comes to reveals.

Apple has had instances where after a reveal their stock lost as much as like 30 billion in value.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I think all depends on the price:
300$ -> bomba
250$ -> could be successful, could not
200$ -> success

JoeM86

I highly doubt Nintendo would go with Android for the OS. Android is so easily crackable. There's no way in hell that they're going to let that be their system

Maztorre

Hilarious that so many on GAF seem to require a year-long drip feed of bullshit leading up to a hardware release, yet the rest of the consumer electronics market can drop a product into a keynote and put it for sale within the following month to incredible success.

Seriously, why would Nintendo spend the Christmas marketing season advertising products nobody could buy? Also, if you were a 3rd party would you want to reveal that your Christmas titles on PS4/XB1/PC are also coming to a new console 3 months later, or would you hold off to chance on some double-dip purchases, as they have already historically done on PC? We've already seen the absurd "denial" of Skyrim's existence despite footage of the game being all over the announcement trailer.

ggx2ac

300$ -> bomba
200$ -> success

I think of the Wii U and how dropping it's price to $200 probably wouldn't have done anything.

Basically as one guys in the article mentioned, Switch needs things like third party support to give value to a price point of $300 otherwise, we'll end up with the "Not buying until $150 and comes bundled with two of the latest Nintendo AAA games for free."

wrowa

8.3 million views in 17 hours

#1 trending on YouTube

lmao
That doesn't mean anything at all.

It's a cool idea. It really is. But being a good idea doesn't mean that people will want to buy it.

What exactly is Switch? A console-handheld hybrid that's - judging by yesterday's footage - doesn't seem to be much more powerful than a Wii U? So, a weak console, but a powerful handheld? Is that interesting for a platform that, according to Nintendo, is first and foremost a home system?

What will it cost? It doesn't look cheap. 250$? 300$? So, it'll be above the 199$ that's been established as the highest price a handheld should be sold for. Looking at it as a console, it would be roughly on par pricewise with a PS4 - maybe slightly cheaper or even more expensive - while offering less power and less games.

So, in order for someone to buy a switch over another platform, they either need to like premium handhelds (which is, as we know, a relatively small audience) or people who are really convinced by its hybrid concept.

But similar to the Wii U and its Off TV feature one question remains: How many people actually want to switch their game to a handheld device? Particularly in the west, playing big games on the go isn't really popular. And even if you like the idea to continue playing on a handheld when need be, the question is if people are satisfied with less hardware power for a feature they might only use every so often.

So, I don't know. If it's not cheaper than expected or doesn't yet have some pretty interesting features or a surprisingly great line up of games, I imagine this to he a hard sell.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

- launch games
- games in development
- specs
- prices
What would they gain from revealing everything they have up their sleeves at once ?

The system will miss an entire holiday season, why start marketing cycles for your games when you can't even get the thing in the biggest shopping season of the entire year ?

They'd be competing in mindshare against marketing cycles for ,literally, some of the biggest games in the entire industry.

Might as well start in January and make early 2017 all about Switch.

If they didn't the 3DS would be dead in the water. They have cash reserves from the last few gen to fall back to if they need. The point is to get lots of units sold and get 3rd parties to take notice.
Sony and Microsoft weren't exactly keen on taking more losses this gen since last gen was a bloodbath in terms of losses, for Microsoft especially it was the second loss making gen in a row. Also Sony's cannot eat the losses like they could 10 years ago since most of their divisions are doing awfully.
That's why the console specs where on the cheap side.
Not true. Both Sony and Microsoft have taken losses on hardware this generation. Microsoft seems to be doing it currently.
I am pretty sure Sony was breaking even or even making a tiny profit from the PS4 from day 1.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I think of the Wii U and how dropping it's price to $200 probably wouldn't have done anything.

Basically as one guys in the article mentioned, Switch needs things like third party support to give value to a price point of $300 otherwise, we'll end up with the "Not buying until $150 and comes bundled with two of the latest Nintendo AAA games for free."

I'm preatty sure that Switch will never have the third party support of PS4 or xbox one.

120v

i think the general consensus on the thing is "that's cool... i guess"

doesn't particularly inspire market confidence but obviously a better pitch than Wii U. things could truly go one way or another

cheesekao

What would they gain from revealing everything they have up their sleeves at once ?

The system will miss an entire holiday season, why start marketing cycles for your games when you can't even get the thing in the biggest shopping season of the entire year ?

They'd be competing in mindshare against marketing cycles for ,literally, some of the biggest games in the entire industry.
I don't think simply revealing info stops them from starting their marketing campaign at a later date.

Zedark

300$ -> bomba
200$ -> success

If they give us this apparatus for €200, I will go to Nintendo's headquarters and throw money at the first Nintendo employee I come across!

Seriously, though, I think pricing at €300 definitely is a bad idea, as it would put the system in direct competition with the PS4 slim and the Xbox One S, which will solicit unwanted power comparisons. Pricing it lower (and I think €250 will be low enough to make this distinction) will put it in its own category, and as a hybrid it is quite attractive for a great deal of people (nintendo fans obviously, but also the engaged gamer who likes to take their games with them on their commute or wants to play when the wife/husband is watching TV).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Like seriously.
Isn't this basically the norm for any announcement? lol

No. If the announcement is better than what was expected, shares rise. If it was worse than what was expected, shares fall. In this case, most of the important details about the Switch had actually leaked already, so there wasn't much to surprise, so shares barely moved either way, but it seems that people had been betting on Nintendo showing a little more than they did.

Fox_Mulder

What makes you think it's even possible for it to be under 300 dollars without a loss? Did I miss something?
It's not important if it's a loss or not.
I'm only saying that, in my opinion, at 300$ it won't be successful.

Article kinda describes how I felt when I woke up to the announcement so I'm not surprised. It wasn't really surprising and wasn't really anything very new or innovative.

ksamedi

i think the system is very accurately a portable with a tv out that's being marketed as a console that can be taken on the go.

It isn't really designed as a portable. A portable would be smaller and cheaper. This is designed as more like a portable console. It has characteristics of both a console and a portable. A true hybrid.

I mean, they're right.

Switch looks incredible and I cannot wait to place my pre-order, but good lord. Nintendo built up a ridiculous air of mystery around this thing, only to go on to reveal what everyone already knew. It was almost Kojima level bait 'n switch.

JoeM86

I mean, they're right.

Switch looks incredible and I cannot wait to place my pre-order, but good lord. Nintendo built up a ridiculous air of mystery around this thing, only to go on to reveal what everyone already knew. It was almost Kojima level bait 'n switch.

I never understand this line of thinking. I get it with Pokémon too.

If something leaks, what do you expect? They still have to reveal it. They can't just change things.

Top Bottom