• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Switch fails to turn on investors, surprises unannounced

Mdk7

I honestly agree with the investors, I was far from surprised by the reveal.
I don't think it was bad, but certainly not surprising/good/thrilling either.

JoeM86

I honestly agree with the investors, I was far from surprised by the reveal.
I don't think it was bad, but certainly not surprising/good/thrilling either.

That happens when things leak. It happens with everyone now. You can't really get a surprise in the gaming industry.

Hermii

What haven't they announced? The spec?

I wonder if this was all they had and now they're changing stuff up to keep the shareholders happy.

Hardware features, motion Control functionality, integration With phones, touch screen (lol), os features, games, Nintendo account features. Who knows.

synce

Nintendo did set expectations high. Remember that talk earlier about not wanting competitors to copy their revolutionary idea?

Nibel

I mean, they're right.

Switch looks incredible and I cannot wait to place my pre-order, but good lord. Nintendo built up a ridiculous air of mystery around this thing, only to go on to reveal what everyone already knew. It was almost Kojima level bait 'n switch.

..but if something leaks, what is a company supposed to do? Change the entire thing so close to release just to 'surprise' people?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
which market had a lukewarm reaction?
I'v seen big interest around the web and even the press reported the news. the lack of details about games and price was an issue, because peopla ARE interested

For the unannounced surprises i think the person who illustrated this has it pretty much on point.

CvO6vBuVIAQwCEK.jpg

Could be, they could also have a virialised solution like PS3 and Xbox One have where you can have a GameOS and a System OS running side by side (not in parallel on the PS3, in terms of the Linux OtherOS) and both on top of a hypervisor. I think that they would want native NX games (I will keep using NX as the X is a perfect shorthand for a switch ;)) running on top of Android. Even NDK activities do have a minor penalty compared to more direct hardware access solution such as what you have on iOS or even more on 3DS and PS Vita.
In my head I was thinking some sort of sandbox or virtualization but I guess I didn't exactly elaborate =) I have a strong feeling their mobile apps will be playable somehow on it and Android seemed a likely route. Either that or they'd have to port them to be native. Seems easier to just run the Android version in the long run. It sounds like a touch screen will be there reading through the lines and that only makes sense for some sort of tablet mode since it won't apply to Switch games.

JoeM86

which market had a lukewarm reaction?
I'v seen big interest around the web and even the press reported the news. the lack of details about games and price was an issue, because peopla ARE interested

Not a mobile game so investors don't care. That market.

Lucifon

What haven't they announced? The spec?

I wonder if this was all they had and now they're changing stuff up to keep the shareholders happy.

Games. I imagine quite a lot of them including ports but still. Sun & Moon port will probably launch with it.

Can we guess what the unannounced surprises are?

Since Nintendo said the base will be cheap then I'll say it's going to be $199.

I think one of the surprises is a dock that is like an SCD that will boost power to the Switch.

I never understand this line of thinking. I get it with Pokémon too.

If something leaks, what do you expect? They still have to reveal it. They can't just change things.

Why bother dragging out the "secret" particularly long though? It felt like it was even longer than typical cycles.

And, maybe my view is biased now since the leaks have already happened, but I feel like even if it being a hybrid was successfully kept far and away under wraps, I thihnk it still wouldn't have seemed like an "oh holy shit" moment upon it's reveal.

As I said before, I'm not trying to rain the parade here. I'm actually super psyched for it. It's just that from what they've shown so far, it doesn't feel as much of a left-field game-changer as they might have made it out to be.

Don't think this means much at this point. If Switch becomes a success and takes over the world like Wii did, these same investors will come crawling back.

There wasn't a lot to be excited about, to be honest. After the sheen wore off and people started asking questions, discussions got real sober real quick.

People raising VERY valid concerns about the HDD space, the ports on the base station, the baby controllers and their comfort, the battery life, the price, quality of the tablet display (resolution, technology used), and the power a mobile table GPU will be able to offer in a world that will be imminently inundated with PS4 Pro's, Scorpio's and VR.

While being portable is cool, it's Nintendo digging in deeper with the audience that was already going to buy their next system. What is the system doing to appeal to those who stopped buying Nintendo hardware because of weak hardware or slow turnout of games? What is it doing to appeal to those who are trying to decide what their next system will be and are looking at all 3 of their options? What is it doing to appeal to grown-ass adults that drive to work and don't have a lot of time in their day where they need a mobile gaming system? Investors are all about how a company is going to GROW. Show me how the Switch will not simply sustain its existing market, but GROW it. Nintendo has yet to address any of the above and its investors are reacting accordingly.

I don't understand why they revealed this now because of leaks when it addressed nothing that actually has been leaked besides the console design which has been known for months.

ggx2ac

And, maybe my view is biased now since the leaks have already happened, but I feel like even if it being a hybrid was successfully kept far and away under wraps, I thihnk it still wouldn't have seemed like an "oh holy shit" moment upon it's reveal.

If nobody knew what Switch was before reveal especially those that took the "Iwata said they are not making a hybrid" quote out of context, we'd have the people that call the Wii U Gamepad a Tablet Controller calling the Switch a... Tablet Controller. lol

JoeM86

There wasn't a lot to be excited about, to be honest. After the sheen wore off and people started asking questions, discussions got real sober real quick.

People raising VERY valid concerns about the HDD space, the ports on the base station, the baby controllers and their comfort, the battery life, the price, quality of the tablet display (resolution, technology used), and the power a mobile table GPU will be able to offer in a world that will be imminently inundated with PS4 Pro's, Scorpio's and VR.

While being portable is cool, it's Nintendo digging in deeper with the audience that was already going to buy their next system. What is the system doing to appeal to those who stopped buying Nintendo hardware because of weak hardware or slow turnout of games? What is it doing to appeal to those who are trying to decide what their next system will be and are looking at all 3 of their options? What is it doing to appeal to grown-ass adults that drive to work and don't have a lot of time in their day where they need a mobile gaming system? Investors are all about how a company is going to GROW. Show me how the Switch will not simply sustain its existing market, but GROW it. Nintendo has yet to address any of the above and its investors are reacting accordingly.

What?

Yes, we have unanswered questions, but don't you think you're taking it to extremes?

First, the Switch was made to stop the "slow turnout of games" (btw, 3DS has average of 1 Nintendo published game a month. Wii U has an average of around 0.8 Nintendo published games a month, so that complaint has always been bull) by consolidating the handheld and home console divisions.

Secondly, many adults need to share a TV and have things to do which may interrupt gaming, and so this is perfect for that. Don't take your life experience to be the only life experience

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
i would assume that not all of the details of the platform and how it might interact with nintendo's plans were revealed today. this is a platform made with not just stuff like nintendo account in mind, but also their other more recent initiatives. i think the switch will rather comprehensively cover all their bases for the new direction iwata set for the company.

Yes, I can see it cohesively encompassing everything 'Nintendo', the whole current state of Nintendo game and toy/accessory development today. I do think that's the smart move right now in the absence of any lightning-in-a-bottle, Wii-like idea. I think it's certainly great for people like me who found it difficult to justify more than one Nintendo machine in recent cycles - I'll be able to get one 'thing' now, and play everything. Assuming this all will work as I think! But the lack of really any new original centre of gravity for the machine is a little disappointing.

That said - I do like that illustrated idea above of custom controllers for different games, sporting different novelties. From a marketing point of view I can see the value of that, as long as they would be reasonably cheap and bundle-able. Who knows, maybe with that model, Nintendo could experiment with new kinds of input and come across something really exciting.

SomTervo

My guess would be the tablet is Android based which would allow their mobile apps to run on it and make it easier to support various media apps. My other guess, which is unlikely, is they announce 3DS compatibility.

The android thing would be crazy. Sounds unlikely.

Doesn't the cartridge port look non-3DS compatible?

Games. I imagine quite a lot of them including ports but still. Sun & Moon port will probably launch with it.

Hardware features, motion Control functionality, integration With phones, touch screen (lol), os features, games, Nintendo account features. Who knows.

I was mainly referring to things which would get the shareholders excited, which are probably just the bolded.

Cathcart

I never understand this line of thinking. I get it with Pokémon too.

If something leaks, what do you expect? They still have to reveal it. They can't just change things.

"You guys, Reddit just posted a leak that our 2017 Honda Civic has four wheels."
"Fuck it we're doing a boat."

KAL2006

Banned
Surprises hey. Let me guess

OS features such as MiiVerse 2.0 and Street Pass

Touchscreen games, some games will work differently on the tablet. Some games may even only work using the tablet.

Motion controls using the Joy Con controllers

TrutaS

I think waiting for next year to show more is a mistake, but it might be because they haven't quite nailed the technical aspects. But in that case, a March launch seems rushed.

Lanf

Great comment! I also don't see how they're going to win over new consumers with this, they're just doubling back on what they're already good at: mobile and a few great first party games.

I am a grown ass adult that drives to work all day, there is no place nor time for mobile in my live. And all the other hardware options are vastly superior, so what is left? Zelda and Mario?

The mobile/living room-in-one concept is cool, but I'm afraid that the amount of people that are psyched to continue playing Skyrim (a 5yo game!) on the go are very much in the minority.

Mdk7

That happens when things leak. It happens with everyone now. You can't really get a surprise in the gaming industry.

It might be because of that, it might be because of the build up (they anticipated the reveal for SO LONG), but I honestly think that the idea behind it is not that surprising and groundbreaking.

Q8D3vil

It was extremely late announcement imo and all the third party games are old ports.
I mean, Who the fuck want to play skyrim anymore.

Maiar_m

Aside from the stock falling post reveal, which is always the case and is non-news, that "more about this next year" line keeps irking me. Talking about price and games a mere three month before release is a bit late for my blood. Unless third parties use the five remaining month to hype their own projects, then Nintendo only plans on spending three month on marketing and basic information efforts. That...isn't great news to me, and I'm not very hard to sell this device to as its concept fits my use case to a T.

Condom

The games are disappointing and the concept a bit weird. A good price and cool games might make it more interesting for me personally.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
If only that transitioned into actual sales....

We are not even 24 hours in it and there are 9Million Views. This of course doesn´t mean "it will have a gigantic super duper success", but it says "people are interested, people like it and share it".

Top Bottom