• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Btw, installed the 1154 firmware update amd watched some HDR content on YouTube. Simply amazing and in some ways better showcase than Netflix (probably due to higher bandwidth/bitrate)

Only gripe is it doesn't tell me that an HDR video is playing, but the backlight does adjust automatically.

Links to the hdr YouTube content? I'd like to check it out on my tv

Rbk_3

I eyeballed it on mine and ended up at 84 contrast for the exact same reason. Are your reds accurate?

Ill post my post calibration when he emails me the graphs. I think he said they are a little over saturated at the top end by pretty accurate otherwise.

Aske

<Nods head> Just as I thought. I saw the (bogus?) results from the WoW disc and XB1 tests first hand but in actual viewing 100 is too high on my set. (AA02) Bright whites are super bright, almost blinding. It may just be panel variations that cause these discrepancies with other posters. FA01 panels may be fine at 100.

The real question is: what did he set your sharpness to?

If you're seeing the same thing on the Xbone, then I'm sold: busting my Contrast down. I didn't feel good about it being 100. I do have an FA01 panel, but I can't believe 100 can possibly be right. Xbone be damned on this.

Edit: know what? I neglected to check the blocks in the strip at the right of the screen. The sun test is good with contrast at 100, but the block test wants 93. Glad that's sorted out - now it all makes sense.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
My screen is completely uniform when it goes black. The one I had before it was like yours and I sent it back.

Backlight should only be at 20 for HDR content.

Well damn. Why are some models not uniform when black? How many people have sent theirs back? Going to be annoying waiting for Samsung to send me another TV... :[

Rbk_3

Well damn. Why are some models not uniform when black? How many people have sent theirs back? Going to be annoying waiting for Samsung to send me another TV... :[

Post a pic. Here is an example of the one I sent back.

74c17f9b07bcba8a76b8ef0fe278feb5.jpg

Feel like I got really lucky with my 55" AA02 panel after seeing all these problems in the thread. Looks perfect to me.

If anyone's looking at getting a replacement, maybe look for an AA02 if possible.

Also got an AA02 panel with my 65" KS9000 and so far no complaints. Really happy with this set this far.

To the ones who ordered via EPP, how long did it even take you guys to receive your TV?

Also ordered a KS9000, I ordered mine Monday night Nov 21st (I didn't skimp out on shipping and paid extra for 2 day expedited) and got my set via FedEx on Nov 25th. My Black Friday was awesome, no lines no dealing with folks.

I don't know why it's not mentioned in the OP:

But, make sure you use the right HDMI port on the back of your TV (the one that accepts 4k at 60 hz with HDR at 4k)

And, be sure to turn on HDMI UHD Color ON

If you don't do the above two things, none of the stuff about advanced calibration matters. Sorry if this was obvious to some, people sometimes don't know these basics.

Heel

55" AA02. Very happy with the screen I got.

Smart LED off

Smart LED low

Smart LED high

Which doesn't seem to be playing well with my iPhone camera. Actually looks a lot more uniform in person.

Not to say that there isn't issues with Smart LED on high. I'd even say it's bad when there's a loading icon or play button in the corner of an all black screen. It'll light a whole column of light on that side of the screen just to light the small icon or text. Looks pretty ridiculous in that particular situation, but no problems otherwise.

Aske

But, make sure you use the right HDMI port on the back of your TV (the one that accepts 4k at 60 hz with HDR at 4k)

All the HDMI ports accept 4K at 60hz and HDR. Only one does audio return, but all four are fine for 4K/60hz/HDR.

You're right about the HDMI UHD colour setting though, I'm surprised that's missing from the OP.

Simbo

Neo Member
Just out of curiosity have you got anyway of recording the micro-stuttering with a camera so I can see what you mean? I have seen a few people complain about micro-stutter on the set and I am curious to see how it presents itself and see if I can help.

I will try and capture it for you however it will be very difficult as it happens randomly. You might catch it happening, rewind to watch the same bit of action but then it won't happen again at the same point.

EDIT: ^^^^ Great GIF &#128514;

1154 is up on UK website......however it's downloading as a corrupt zip file!

Can anybody in the UK who manages to install 1154, can they confirm that Amazon video works correctly?

Since I purchased mine with 1142 on it I haven't even been able to install it.

laxu

1154 is also up for the Nordic KS7005 at least on the Finnish site. Not OTA yet but I think I'll upgrade via USB.

Do you just unzip the file and put the image on a USB stick? How do you select it for update from the TV?

1154 is also up for the Nordic KS7005 at least on the Finnish site. Not OTA yet but I think I'll upgrade via USB.

Do you just unzip the file and put the image on a USB stick? How do you select it for update from the TV?

Yes unzip, copy image to USB.

Selecting it from tv: settings> support> software update> update now> tv will notice USB drive and ask of you want to search connected USB device got updates files and click yes.

noomi

Sorry for the many replies, trying to help as many as I can. I really enjoy this thread and want to ride it for as long as we can :p

Btw, installed the 1154 firmware update amd watched some HDR content on YouTube. Simply amazing and in some ways better showcase than Netflix (probably due to higher bandwidth/bitrate)

Only gripe is it doesn't tell me that an HDR video is playing, but the backlight does adjust automatically.

Youtube 4K & HDR is the best I've seen across all media apps. Better than Netflix, Amazon, Google...etc

They must be trying to impress everyone, so they set bandwidth very high, I fully see them dropping it down in the future though :(

That's honestly not the case. Use a test pattern with lots of lines. The ringing disappears, and the lines soften and blur. See the sharpness calibration video Phil0sophy posted earlier:

https://youtu.be/rnAaqy7mRLQ
(Skip ahead to 2:30)

This is a very interesting video, thanks for posting. Will give this a shot when I get home, currently I'm keeping 20 sharpness uniformly across all inputs and SDR/HDR as well. Seems to work fine for me.

Feel like I got really lucky with my 55" AA02 panel after seeing all these problems in the thread. Looks perfect to me.

If anyone's looking at getting a replacement, maybe look for an AA02 if possible.

Same here, panel lottery is still very much a thing. Some people have had success with FF panels. After seeing both in person, I'm a firm believer that the AA02's have a slight edge over FF panels.

Links to the hdr YouTube content? I'd like to check it out on my tv

Here you go :) There are some really amazing video in this playlist. I think one of my favorites is the LG Jazz one, looks stunning. I use it to demo my tv for friends & family haha

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV6PNz895rnPtiojPsrWAHeUZWMCqPMRT

I'm on firmware 1150 and it says I have the latest firmware when I try to update. When will I get 1154? Annoying.

You will need to download the firmware form the Samsung website and put it on a USB. This is currently only for the US I believe, so use with caution.

Anyone know yet it this allows for proper HDR implementation while in game mode, i.e. backlight ratchets up to 20 automatically?

1154 Firmware did not fix HDR in gaming mode, we still need to adjust settings manually. We should blast Samsung with complaints about it not working, or else I fear it will never get fixed.

Do they release any notes with these new patches? I'm always afraid they're gonna fuck something up....

They always release the same patch notes, very generic. We never know what exactly has changed until people on AVS forums figure it out :p

Simbo

Neo Member
Europe here, I also cannot unzip the file, it says it's invalid. What in the actual fuck are these people doing?

Yep they've managed to upload a corrupt zip file. It's the same across all European websites. I've tried Samsung DE, NL and SK.....all the same.

I'm not on twitter or Facebook. Can someone let them know?

Belker

If I want to test uniformity using that Rtings white cross image, do I need to put the backlight or brightness to max? Anything else I should do? I assume I put the picture on a USB stick and then somehow navigate to it in the TV's settings.

My UK KS7000 (equiv. to US KS8000) is arriving tomorrow, but I've not really got any experience with testing this sort of thing. I bought the TV because of various reviews, including the positive comments on here.

Clockwork

And, be sure to turn on HDMI UHD Color ON

There is no HDMI port on the back of the TV. Everything runs through the One Connect box and all HDMI ports work exactly the same/have the same capability.

Do you even have this TV?

What are the correct settings for a js8500? What should I have dynamic contrast at with hdr and is there a setting I need to toggle to enable proper 10 bit support or does that all just happen in when hdr is automatically enabled?

noomi

What are the correct settings for a js8500? What should I have dynamic contrast at with hdr and is there a setting I need to toggle to enable proper 10 bit support or does that all just happen in when hdr is automatically enabled?

Dynamic Contrast seems to be on on-going debate for many. Some say no, because it ruins the picture. Some say yes, because without it HDR is too dim.. Use whichever setting your eyes like the most.

I use Dynamic Contrast Low for SDR content, and Medium for HDR content.

Should happen automaticaly, make sure you have the UHD Color setting turned on for all of your inputs.

chaosaeon

Is there any way to download the videos from that HDR playlist on youtube and play them properly from a flashdrive later without having to go on youtube and find them etc ? I know you can just download them, but can you get them with the proper resolution/bitrate and HDR intact ?

noomi

Is there any way to download the videos from that HDR playlist on youtube and play them properly from a flashdrive later without having to go on youtube and find them etc ? I know you can just download them, but can you get them with the proper resolution/bitrate and HDR intact ?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...ailable-4k-hdr-titles-will-updated-often.html

There are many links to download HDR videos from Samsung & LG among other ones as well.

Almost all of these are the same ones on youtube, it is missing a few however.

That's honestly not the case. Use a test pattern with lots of lines. The ringing disappears, and the lines soften and blur. See the sharpness calibration video Phil0sophy posted earlier:

https://youtu.be/rnAaqy7mRLQ
(Skip ahead to 2:30)

I'll test it later but I have to stress that I did see ringing at 17 (feel like a broken record now). Is it possible people testing it that are seeing blur under 20 are using RGB mode?

Heres a side by side of the image from that video test (link) I did.
vJ8Lp9h.jpg

Left is sharpness 0, right is sharpness 17. This is a closeup of marcus' forehead in a cutscene from watch dogs 2 running on PS4 Pro. There is a reddish outline which is bloom that is kinda ruining this comparison. Easier to see in person. Or I should take better pictures. But notice how there is a very subtle dark outline running along the outline of his forehead on the right one. That is ringing. It's subtle, but its there. The console is not outputting that ringing. It's the TV sharpening filter.

edit:
Aight, need to revise my sharpness comments. I checked my settings, and the PC setting was higher than I thought, it is 30 not 20, and my PS4 Pro setting is actually still at 0 sharpness. The PC input aspect may be different than the PS4 one. Text was a blurry smudge on my PC with the TV until I boosted sharpness. I even did the clear text recalibartion stuff and nothing helped like that did. Haven't had the chance to fidget with how it looks in games.

RE: PC mode sharpness vs. other modes, from AVS Forum -
Sharpness: This applies a sharpening filter to the image to bring out edges in an image. In all modes outside of PC mode, any value above 0 will apply this filter. You will likely start seeing sharpening artifacts if this value is above 20. Recommended values: 0-20 (rtings.com: 0). In PC mode, the recommended value is 50, which is the true image. Higher values will apply a sharpening filter, while lower values will apply a blurring filter.

seeing other people in this thread are realizing that it is exactly as rtings stated. 0, unless you're in PC mode in which case its 50. And as I demonstrated above, the artifacts are even there under 20.

lt519

Did they pickup the TV at your house? I submitted my refund request last Friday so i don't even have a shipping label yet.

FedEx Freight picked it up at my house. You'll get a return label sent to you and then you schedule a pick up.

Does anyone ever adjust the brightness in game?

With the Samsung Ks8000 all the images that say adjust the brightness until is barely visible never truly become "barely visible" I'm starting to doubt my settings

Anyone with this problem?

For the record here are the games that I tested.

I've tested Dark souls 2
LET IT DIE
Final Fantasy XV
King of Fighters XIV

Does anyone ever adjust the brightness in game?

With the Samsung Ks8000 all the images that say adjust the brightness until is barely visible never truly become "barely visible" I'm starting to doubt my settings

Anyone with this problem?

For the record here are the games that I tested.

I've tested Dark souls 2
LET IT DIE
Final Fantasy XV
King of Fighters XIV
I keep it at default usually. Imo Those sliders are for uncalibrated tv's and are subjective. If you actually do it until barely visible forza horizon 3 gets way darker than it should.

Top Bottom