• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT| There and back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished the game. Hated everything past the open world section, but the ending was legit.

Gonna dive into the post game now. From the looks of it, this might have my favorite post game after the GBA version of FFVI.

Gbraga

I think the poster you quoted is alluding to the fact that the plot has no emotional oomph from its opening to hook the player. We're told about events rather than shown them, and we have no sense of context, of how the characters fit into the game's events and what it means to them. It's a terrible fumble from a storytelling perspective.

The drama does come eventually, but very late, and by that time it's hard to care about what is happening or why. Putting key plot points into a companion CG movie is so profoundly dumb it defies logic itself.

I genuinely hope Square doesn't try doing this type of thing again.

I agree about Kingsglaive being a dumb decision, but I really like the way the opening is handled. Aside from Chapter 0, that was trash. When I say opening, I think car pushing until end of Chapter 1. This took me ~14 hours. I really enjoyed the low key opening with room for the characters to breathe, giving the player freedom very early and just having a story tone that fits the player's Wanderlust, their desire to explore and have fun.

The road trip aspect, character interactions and the combat are the things I was looking forward to the most, so I'm very pleased. I agree about being told instead of shown lessening the emotional impact, but I'm more interested in the lore of Eos than any emotional impact from the main plot, personally. The place I'm looking forward to when it comes to delivering emotional impact is the main party and their relationship. I've seen the ending already, and if the game earns it, it'll go down as one of my favorites, for sure. So good.

And I think it will. Yesterday I had to delete some pictures because I had my storage full at 150 already, and I was going through them, and laughing just remembering those moments of my journey so far, and it was really hard to delete them. Every picture had a memory with it, and a little emotional weight. I think they handled that aspect incredibly well.

So, in other words: Kingsglaive was a mistake, game definitely needs more cutscenes, but I still think it's great and really appreciate the way it handles exposition during gameplay.

EDIT: But I actually agree with you that I hope they don't do it again. I want XVI to be completely different. And bring back Yoshida as character designer, please.

Vic_Viper

Anyone have a good guide for the dungeons that shows their location and level requirements? Can't seem to find a good comprehensive guide online.

About Kingsglaive being a "bad" decision: I think it was originally supposed to be the first game in a trilogy, but instead it was turned into a pretty lengthy cinematic. Instead of forcing players to sit through an hour+ long cutscenes before getting to play ala Metal Gear they chose to put some effort into turning it into a movie. My biggest gripe was how they changed voice actors for the film. None of the recurring characters that have new VAs had all that many lines in game, they really should have just let them do the games VO.

I thought it was a great way to give fans the back story/set up for the game that isn't necessary for the average casual player. I would recommend anyone who hasn't seen it yet to watch it though since it does give you a good idea of what happens right before the game starts and why these characters motivations are.

Seik

Banned
Job's Christmas party tonight.

After that, my wobbly drunk self comes home to clear chap. 14! Let's get done with it! :D

Can't wait to do the post game dungeons to rinse that bitter chap. 13's taste off my mouth.

I actually didn't mind chapter 13 as much as others did. In some ways, I actually really liked it. I do admit that it was a bit long but still.
I just wish you could have ran faster...

Gbraga

Anyone have a good guide for the dungeons that shows their location and level requirements? Can't seem to find a good comprehensive guide online.

About Kingsglaive being a "bad" decision: I think it was originally supposed to be the first game in a trilogy, but instead it was turned into a pretty lengthy cinematic. Instead of forcing players to sit through an hour+ long cutscenes before getting to play ala Metal Gear they chose to put some effort into turning it into a movie.
I thought it was a great way to give fans the back story/set up for the game that isn't necessary for the average casual player. I would recommend anyone who hasn't seen it yet to watch it though since it does give you a good idea of what happens right before the game starts and why these characters motivations are.

But most of Kingsglaive is filler. The actual Kingsglaive unit is completely irrelevant. It wouldn't be nearly as long if they were just cutscenes in the game.

And that would free some budget for more CG cutscenes later on.

But most of Kingsglaive is filler. The actual Kingsglaive unit is completely irrelevant. It wouldn't be nearly as long if they were just cutscenes in the game.

Does the game ever intersect with the Kingsglaive stuff that happens offscreen and outside of Insomnia? Like the Crow stuff?

I'm assuming it doesn't.

Adaren

So just saw a photo that Promto took and it had
Gentiana standing next to Noctis
and it freaked me out lol.

Got one of those as well, in the Chapter 7 dungeon last night.

I assumed it was a bug, but maybe it's just a rare occurrence.

Also, for all the whining I do about the game, I do think that the photo aspect is quite neat, so kudos on that.

Ourobolus

Banned
I actually didn't mind chapter 13 as much as others did. In some ways, I actually really liked it. I do admit that it was a bit long but still.
I just wish you could have ran faster...

YES. I actually liked Ch 13, but this was by far the major problem.

EDIT: So, I don't have the photobomb trophy yet. It's just random?

Adaren

Yeah, since I was in the Ch. 7 dungeon, I assumed that the game had just gotten its
female
character models confused and put the wrong one in the picture, lol.

Prompto also fell through the floor and was absent for the latter 60% of the dungeon, up until the boss, so I guess I had bugs on the mind when I saw the picture.

Gbraga

Does the game ever intersect with the Kingsglaive stuff that happens offscreen and outside of Insomnia? Like the Crow stuff?

I'm assuming it doesn't.

No, I don't think so. They even avoid mentioning Galahd, so the player isn't confused. When they talk about the lands to be surrended to Niflheim, they only mention Leide, Duscae and Cleigne by name.

Pygrus

I'm assuming it doesn't.

It doesn't really ever intersect with kingsglaive. There are like 2 references to kingsglaive and they can be missed

Apt101

Finally got back to the storyline quests. I came upon the a
stealth mission
. At first I was NO GOD WHY? WHYYYY NO HELP ME LORD! But it was done well. Usually when this type of segment is shoehorned into a game that's not of the genre it sucks, but this was alright. Fun, even.

I summon Ramuh. That was wild. Also got my first 50+ hit combo using daggers. I was hoping for a trophy.

Tyaren

I feel like every time I see you your Prompto avatar has a different expression. lol
I think I've settled for this one yet, it's cute, lol. It's from this scene:
tumblr_ohnw61w7Mf1qjqz6co1_540.gif

Finalow

so far the sealed dungeons have been an extremely boring and dumb grind. ''kill all the monsters in this room, do the same thing in 50 more identical rooms" considering how good the actual dungeons were I was expecting something different.

So, did a quick search and couldn't find an answer so I figured I'd ask in here, when I'm attacking enemies regardless of whether they are hitting me or not, it drains my health bar? Like, even if the enemy is in a vulnerable state and unable to attack I still lose HP while hammering into them. Is this supposed to happen?

I have no status effects like poison, this has been going on since I started and I'm 8 chapters in.

It's super obvious from late Versus XIII trailers and the first FF XV trailer that what became Kings Glaive was originally a part of the game. You've got multiple scenes from inside Insomnia that match a LOT of what happens in Kings Glaive, only now obviously happening with Nox instead of Noctis and crew.

Probably around the time they were switching over to PS4, they realized they were going to have to throw out everything they had already done and knew completely remaking an area that you'd only visit once with a huge amount of spectacle and work in it would be pretty inefficient.

"If we're going to make a huge environment that's just a linear corridor full of spectacle, why not just go all out and make it a movie?"

I'm around chapter 5 or 6, can't remember, and the combat is really starting to click. I
got my car back
so I was able to free roam again and I decided to go for the Ultima Blade and the Thunderbolt Sword. I haven't really been doing much side content so I was around level 25 at that point.

I'm realizing I can take on mobs that are much higher than my level with no problem. I barely even get hit. When I do get hit, it's OHKO, but Ignis and Items take care of that easily. But generally speaking, I can get through most high level battles without taking much/any damage. The tools are all there, and once you learn them, it really makes combat fairly trivial, IMO. Plus with the godlike magic, it just makes it that much easier.

The Sturdy Helixhorn fight was fun, with actually having to target the horn. Unfortunately, one warp strike to the targeted horn with the Hardedge was all it took. I was hoping for a more Monster Hunter-esque fight, which it was close to, but oh so far, far away.

Gosh, on that thought, can you imagine what this game could have been if they had just straight up stolen MH combat? So good, is what.

As it is, I'm enjoying playing the OP unstoppable god character. Pretty fun.

Tiu Neo

So, did a quick search and couldn't find an answer so I figured I'd ask in here, when I'm attacking enemies regardless of whether they are hitting me or not, it drains my health bar? Like, even if the enemy is in a vulnerable state and unable to attack I still lose HP while hammering into them. Is this supposed to happen?

I have no status effects like poison, this has been going on since I started and I'm 8 chapters in.

Are you using any of the Royal Arms? Those drain your HP when you use them.

OMG I am so shocked by this game. The fact that it has ZERO pacing just makes it feel so odd to play.

Hated the first chapter and how they handled the story, then started to appreciate the combat and world only to be crushed by chapter 10 onwards.

Chapter 9 was OK but pitiful compared to the reveal trailer (which was rendered, but still)

Cutscenes start, are handled well and then just end aprubtly and lead to itsfuckingnothing.gif
It's almost as if I watch someone who is dreaming the plot due to its bizarre fragmented nature. It makes no sense, I cannot provide a coherent summary of what is happening. This is an issue that I couldn't understand with XIII since I was able to follow that game well enough but they dropped the ball hard in XV

I mean yeah I tried to focus on the gameplay and take these issues for granted beforehand but boy is it hard. I am not disappointed but rather shocked. This is seriously part XV, a mainline entry for a thirty year old franchise? I was able to finish XII and XIII and found them to be good but their issues are fairly apparent. XV totally takes the crown though.

And yeah chapter 13 is long and boring. Way to end a messy game with an even messier gameplay segment from babbies first dungeon-crawler generator

I'm sorry if this sounds negative and I don't want to hurt people who are really into this game but to me this is definitely the most amateurish high profile game I have ever played and I am just super sad for everyone involved (they surely worked their asses off) and the series as a whole. SE should respect this property more.

jiggle

What's the quickest way to level up post game? I'm 80 so I don't need a lot really. Any certain enemies to farm? Or some trick?
Use ur rare/debased coins and banknotes to make Expericast lv96-99 (use only 1 fire or ice or lightning)
It takes 8 rare coins to make 5x lv96 expericast spell
And 25 debased coins to make 9x lv99 expericast spell iirc
Eat 2x exp food(cook or eat in altissia)
Save in hammerhead
Equip the worst weapon on everyone(can buy them in hammerhead)
Head north to fight bandersnatch
Cast as many expericast as you can
Warp back to hammerhead to save
Load your game there and bandersnatch will respawn
Repeat

Rest in 3x exp hotel when you are done

You can get close to 200k exp per kill if you can manage to keep it alive long enough to cast expericast 6 or 7 times

LiK

Use up all ur rare/debased coins and banknote to make Expericast lv96-99 (use only 1 fire or ice or lightning)
Eat 2x exp food
Save in hammerhead
Equip the worst weapon in everyone
Head north to fight bandersnatch
Cast as many expericast as you can
Hi back to hammerhead save and load
Repeat

You can get close to 200k exp per kill if you can manage to keep it alive long enough to cast expericast 6 or 7 times

Shit, I sold all those coins and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom