• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Kojima's research is SO on point?

I've always been a big fan of Hideo Kojima's work and the stories he tells in his games but one thing I'm consistently amazed by is the level of accurate detail he maintains in his stories. Yes, Metal Gear is clearly fictional with some insane crazy shit going on up to and including ghosts. But, everything else within the background of this world is very much grounded and real. However, the level of detail he places in the grounded elements of his story boggles my mind as someone who is a history buff and also has deep knowledge of military/governmental matters. This is especially impressive since Kojima is a Japanese developer who was born and continues to live in Japan and yet his knowledge of U.S. governmental workings surpasses a majority of Western games.

Examples:

- In MGS1 we learn that DARPA helped fund and develop Metal Gear alongside the fictional defense contractor ArmsTech. Of course, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is a real organization. And, would be the exact governmental agency which would likely be responsible for developing Metal Gear if it were real. They are the ones actually developing rail guns right now.

- Colonel Campbell is a Colonel. This is a small matter but most games, even Western ones, don't know hack shit about military rank. As a result, in any other regular game Col. Campbell would likely be made a General because people vaguely understand that Generals are in the military and generally regarded as important. But, within the fiction of the MG story a General would not be the one placed in charge of such a mission in MGS1, it would more realistically fall under a Colonel's command.

- Armstech President talks about the Pentagon's "black budget" in MGS1. Again, a really minor detail that only policy nerds understand actually exists. The Defense Department does indeed have a "black budget" funded by Congress. It allows them to fund projects without publicly disclosing them. This is EXACTLY how you would get something like Metal Gear funded.

But, there is so much more! Though the one thing that I always enjoyed in most of the MG stories is how Kojima treats the politics within his world. While MG deals with governmental conspiracies and whatnot most fictional stories, including western ones, typically have the government as some monolithic entity carrying out one nefarious will. However, the MG universe is much more realistic and complex. The CIA has plans that go against the wishes of the Defense Department, the KGB is at odds with the GRU which is also at odds with the Politburo, the Navy is competing against the Army, etc.

Again, all of this detail is amazing coming from a foreign developer. Metal Gear despite some obvious Japanese tropes at times feels more Western than any Western developed game out there. How does this man do it? And, why don't other developers take their research as seriously as Kojima?

Alienous

I'm sure a lot of that would have been communicated in the many movies he has watched, then supported by research.

MCN

Banned
Some people are very, very passionate about their art and take it super-seriously. Kojima is one of those people.

Afrocious

This is something I've always admired about Kojima's works and never had the words to say it. Despite the stories in his games, the backdrops in them are well-researched and he knows where to start intertwining fiction into real history.

He loves what he does. This level of research is also what probably gets him in trouble with development times too. But yeah, it's crazy, I actually feel like I'm learning something when playing Metal Gear. It's a fictional setting that could just as well be real. He doesn't really care if others will understand it's nuances or even notice them, he wants to make his world as rich as possible.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I thought the OP would talk about MGS2 and the transfer of digital information and filtering, fake news, etc.

He's extremely on point in MGS2's themes.

But he goes batshit crazy with some stuff like nanomachines and parasites. Characters never shut up about them and the story suddenly revolve around these silly topics, hence the meme "cuz nanomachines" were created by people . There is are also a lot of goofy and stupid things that really make the game very fictional IMO rather than grounded or realistic.

I'm sure a lot of that would have been communicated in the many movies he has watched, then supported by research.

Except, most movies get that stuff wrong. Even the "B" action movies that Kojima loves to riff off of are nowhere near as accurate as Metal Gear with regards to military or government protocol.

It's video games, so we aren't used to it, but in many fields, professionals are thorough on their research, knowledge of history, and sociological effects before writing something, which they can then throw some fantastical stuff in and fictionalize for coolness.

That, and Kojima and his team are crazy good at google

SeanTSC

Kojima is a Traveler from the future who took over a dying Japanese man's body and his games are a smoke screen for his subversive attempt to warn us about the dangers of the present and coming events while he keeps his identify hidden.

Duh.

Ratrat

He's smart enough to have military consultants. The crazy attention to detail is cranked up to 11 in games like Policenauts. Its great because it really helps to flesh out the world.

jwhit28

But he goes batshit crazy with some stuff like nanomachines and parasites. Characters never shut up about them and the story suddenly revolve around these silly topics, hence the meme "cuz nanomachines" were created by people . There is are also a lot of goofy and stupid things that really make the game very fictional IMO rather than grounded or realistic.

He falls into a trap anytime he tries to explain the supernatural stuff that happens in the game. It's always better when the characters just accept it as part of the world. We didnt need to know where The End's photosynthesis came from.

Soltype

He's always been in tune with the world and its climate.Even Metal Gear 2 was very realistic in this manner.

I don't believe a lot of this stuff is as obscure as you think (e.g., the military black budget). But to his credit he tends to hire military consultants, so that helps a lot.

Guy doesn't work alone.

Except for the last months in Konami.

Kojima is not the only person making metal gear games

No he doesn't, but as a director he does decide how good he wants the research to be. He actually went to the USA to learn how search teams move and put it into his game and also how professionals handles and uses guns. These all came from him. Yes he has a talented team, but you can't downplay his merit here.

It is supposed to be very fictional, that's not the point. The point is that it is well researched. The goofy stuff is what gives the game charm and if Kojima ever drops this side of him I'll be incredibly sad.

Also the nanomachines stuff is what a lot of people (including me) disliked about Metal Gear Solid 4. Paranormal shit could have stayed as paranormal, it would have been better that way. Vocal Cord Parasites are on the same boat

CloudWolf

Who says Kojima is the one that does the research? Maybe that's done by some random intern.

Anyway, he has probably read some Tom Clancy books or something.

Colonel Campbell was also Colonel Campbell in Metal Gear 2 as well eight years before. It's not like that research into US military ranks was done specifically for Solid.

Honestly, I'd wish for just one game, Kojima would take everything 100% seriously and minimize his wacky fun time nonsense. It could make his games less "charming" but I'd like for once to be a much greater reflection of reality that I don't have to look past the bizarre clutter in his games.

Colonel Campbell was also Colonel Campbell in Metal Gear 2 as well eight years before. It's not like that research into US military ranks was done specifically for Solid.

He was retired by the events of MGS1. They brought him back specifically to handle SS for the Shadow Moses Incident.

Fushin

Doesn't he usually have military advisors working with him? Might be a good starting point for a lot of this stuff before he digs deeper with his own research.

I don't believe a lot of this stuff is as obscure as you think (e.g., the military black budget). But to his credit he tends to hire military consultants, so that helps a lot.

Doesn't he usually have military advisors working with him? Might be a good starting point for a lot of this stuff before he digs deeper with his own research.

People keep bringing up military advisers but do you not realize that most other games hire them as well but still have shit detail? The Call of Duty games tended to have prominent military advisers but that didn't stop them from having a General speaking directly to some Sergeant about a mission. Or Russia somehow sneaking up on America for a naval attack.

Motosada Mori has been the military adviser for the series since the first Solid game. He also did the CQC mocap in MGS3.

t26

If you are impress by this, try playing some VN. Steins;Gate basically got everything from scientific terminology to 2chan slang.

Isn't Snatcher and Policenauts very serious?

The first 2 Metal Gear aren't that wacky either

I'd say only the 2nd Metal Gear and Ghost Babel (Not a Kojima game tho) clicks close to 100% for me (I need to go back to them though). Metal Gear 1 has no meat to its story. Policenauts has that "being able to harass every woman in the game with zero consequences" issue which totally screws the game out of being anything convincing.

I haven't played Snatcher though.

Isn't Snatcher and Policenauts very serious?

The first 2 Metal Gear aren't that wacky either

lol.

Metal Gear 1 had the hilariously impractical TX88, a pair of Terminators that could only move left and right, parachuting from only three stories up to get around a fence, and a goon squad of bosses with the silliest Engrish codenames.

And Metal Gear 2 had the original Cyborg Ninja before posers like Gray Fox and Raiden stole the stage.

Top Bottom