• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Kojima's research is SO on point?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's his thing

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Deferring to experts and researching real-life scenes and scenarios. It doesn't produce a "realistic" game but it does produce one that feels "true" (unless you're an expert on AFVs and nuclear weapons delivery lol).

I adore the minutia of the series.

lol.

Metal Gear 1 had the hilariously impractical TX88, a pair of Terminators that could only move left and right, parachuting from only three stories up to get around a fence, and a goon squad of bosses with the silliest Engrish codenames.

And Metal Gear 2 had the original Cyborg Ninja before posers like Gray Fox and Raiden stole the stage.

fuck you're right

nevermind then, guess Kojima will be Kojima thankfully

If you are impress by this, try playing some VN. Steins;Gate basically got everything from scientific terminology to 2chan slang.

Wasn't the localized version's @Channel text based more off of how people speak on 4Chan /b/ though?

Unless of course I'm more naive than I think and internet degeneracy is something that has no cultural barriers whatsoever.

EDIT: Yup. I just remembered that 2Chan probably has far more Chuuni degenerates than 4Chan could ever hope to.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
fuck you're right

nevermind then, guess Kojima will be Kojima thankfully

Also in MG2 you have to use an owl to make a guard think it's nighttime because of owl noises.

Also you have to navigate past a desert where the bad guys imported sand from japan so that it would make noise when people walked on it lul

notacat

Yeah, people these days think you could always have just googled everything.

Not go to a library, and figure out what you needed to read instead, since the internet was nothing at all compared to what it is today. 2008 internet was even paltry compared to now, let alone 90's era.

OldMan

Banned
Did he have any say in the mgo portion of metal gear? Because some of that content is ridiculously detailed as well and may have just influenced his teammates.
125126-Skill_charmup.gif

I actually just replayed MGS and finished it the other night haha.

In the credits they had a Military advisor, so I'm sure that helped.

But yea, love how accurate most of the history is.

HeatBoost

Military advisor on a typical game: "I was a marine. This is what a gun looks like. We say jargon sometimes. Check, please!"

Kojima's military advisor "After a stint in the French Foreign legion I went to America but I got sent back to Japan because I was such an uncontrollable military nerd I was suspected of being a spy. Can I talk to you about the modern military for 12 hours in a row, please? Did you know that AKS was a result of the Soviets switching production methods from..."

Also in MG2 you have to use an owl to make a guard think it's nighttime because of owl noises.

Also you have to navigate past a desert where the bad guys imported sand from japan so that it would make noise when people walked on it lul

I just remembered the little kids with caps on the battlefield that you have to talk to and the invisible swamp path

in retrospect i love that game

People keep bringing up military advisers but do you not realize that most other games hire them as well but still have shit detail? The Call of Duty games tended to have prominent military advisers but that didn't stop them from having a General speaking directly to some Sergeant about a mission. Or Russia somehow sneaking up on America for a naval attack.

That's not much of an argument. We can easily point to stupid stuff in Kojima's games too. All developers make decisions on how realistic they want to make their games, they don't just take any research and put it in verbatim. Kojima clearly favors a certain attention to detail at the expense of other narrative elements (like any sort of smooth pacing). It's very Japanese military otaku.

I'll give an obvious example of Kojima butchering elementary research: the idea of recessive genes and what that means in Metal Gear Solid. This is deeply stupid and wrong stuff, but presumably he chose to go with it for dramatic reasons, and damn authenticity.

Just the idea of Metal Gears themselves are super absurd (why use them instead of existing ballistic submarines?), but he wanted cool looking mecha so that's what he included.

The attention to detail in his games can be a lot of fun, but don't oversell how "on point" his research is. Kojima includes absurdly unrealistic stuff for various reasons just like every dev does.

Gravidee

Did he have any say in the mgo portion of metal gear? Because some of that content is ridiculously detailed as well and may have just influenced his teammates.
125126-Skill_charmup.gif

This image reminds me of how much I miss MGO2. I hope someday people will find some way to put this on PC with controller support.

I was thinking about this exact subject when I was playing through Policenauts the other day. The dedication to the detail of his exposition and his universes in his games is steller.

Even in Policenauts which was develop in the mid nineties had a plethora of science fiction and police department trivia that very well could have been left out but he was fully committed to adding layers of depth to his characters history and the world's they inhabited.

sjay1994

The moment you realize both the Raiden games predicted future controversies in the US with MGS2 about surveillance and the NSA and Revengeance with Trump having word for word quotes with Armstrong.
Yeah this one is a reach and not even written by Kojima, but it humors me to no end

dXeYoN5.jpg

He loves what he does. This level of research is also what probably gets him in trouble with development times too. But yeah, it's crazy, I actually feel like I'm learning something when playing Metal Gear. It's a fictional setting that could just as well be real. He doesn't really care if others will understand it's nuances or even notice them, he wants to make his world as rich as possible.

i think this's kojima's intention. on top of providing fantastic gameplay & blowing your mind, of course :) ...

Azzanadra

But, there is so much more! Though the one thing that I always enjoyed in most of the MG stories is how Kojima treats the politics within his world. While MG deals with governmental conspiracies and whatnot most fictional stories, including western ones, typically have the government as some monolithic entity carrying out one nefarious will. However, the MG universe is much more realistic and complex. The CIA has plans that go against the wishes of the Defense Department, the KGB is at odds with the GRU which is also at odds with the Politburo, the Navy is competing against the Army, etc.

This especially, most movies/tv shows/games/books like this pretend as if the "government" is the will of one person and is all-powerful and all-knowing, I like how Kojima shows that they are not so infallible and all these different branches/individuals have their own agendas.

ActWan

What I actually love most about his style of writing, is the attention to details he gives to the fictional stuff, not just the real ones...
"Over-explanation". It's something many people hate about him, but I adore it. It's one of the reasons MGS4 is my all time fav - he just goes on to explain every little detail of the fictional bits in the story like the nanomachines and leaves no "holes" unsealed.
He also did it in MGSV with all the Code Talker cassette tapes about the parasites.
Just makes it a lot more believable to me, he actually explains everything needed for it to exist and make sense in the universe, every little fictional detail, and not running to simplistic things like the memes suggest ("nanomachines, son").

Seems like the kind of thing you ask about without having to put too much effort into - especially if, I don't know - you are going to spend millions of a company's dollars developing a project on the subject.

/shrug

What I actually love most about his style of writing, is the attention to details he gives to the fictional stuff, not just the real ones...
"Over-explanation". It's something many people hate about him, but I adore it. It's one of the reasons MGS4 is my all time fav - he just goes on to explain every little detail of the fictional bits in the story like the nanomachines and leaves no "holes" unsealed.
He also did it in MGSV with all the Code Talker cassette tapes about the parasites.
Just makes it a lot more believable to me, he actually explains everything needed for it to exist and make sense in the universe, every little fictional detail, and not running to simplistic things like the memes suggest ("nanomachines, son").

For me I don't like it because it's a weird tone shift. MGS1, 2 and 3 has a bunch of paranormal stuff that are just weird. Grounding them in reality doesn't really do the story any better, it feels more like he was pandering to the people who wanted some explanation, taking the intended mystery out of the picture.

I remember some interview somewhere with a military guy looking at how various game characters held their weapons. He said that Metal Gear Solid was the only one that was accurate.

I also can't believe CQC is legit. It's too cool.

XenoRaven

Kojima has a military advisor who is credited in the games. I don't remember the name but I would guess that's the reason.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Kojima has the instincts of a research-oriented author. It's clear the man adores building complete worlds. The Metal Gear games get shit for being "nonsense" but they are not generic and shallow, that's for sure.

Kinyou

His games are also fantastic when it comes to soldiers and their movements. So many little details even movies often don't care about. Most of that can probably be ascribed to Motosada Mori who has been the military advisor on the Metal Gear series.

https://youtu.be/9yvkECEBFS8

Open a book people you might learn something. It's called references. Many popular works do it just much less so in videogames so when kojima does it it's much more apparent.

However if u pay closer attention to names and details in other games you will notice a lot more references too.... Of you read other articles that those elements come from

The moment you realize both the Raiden games predicted future controversies in the US with MGS2 about surveillance and the NSA and Revengeance with Trump having word for word quotes with Armstrong.
Yeah this one is a reach and not even written by Kojima, but it humors me to no end

dXeYoN5.jpg
Mgs2 is not about surveillance it's about memory and transfer of information and hyperreality.

Surveillance? Really dude you missed the point of the game. That's such an American preoccupation to think mgs2 is mainly about surveillance lmao

Malakai

This entire thread actually makes me want to check out Metal Gear Solid now. The PS3 have to entire main Metal Gear Solid library right w/ the Remaster for (1,2 and 3) and 4 as an exclusive and 5.

Strings

His games are also fantastic when it comes to soldiers and their movements. So many little details even movies often don't care about. Most of that can probably be ascribed to Motosada Mori who has been the military advisor on the Metal Gear series.

https://youtu.be/9yvkECEBFS8

That was great. Mori's a surprisingly good teacher / that kind of specific, practical detail is awesome for the animators.

A lot of the military research and advice probably comes from Motosada Mori the military advisor for the Metal Gear Solid series. Kojima is not the one that does the research by himself. I love Kojima but people néed to stop treating him like he is a one man show. Without his excellent team behind him Kojima would not be as big as he is now.

LousyTactician

Neo Member
The Metal Gear games are also notable for featuring pretty realistic gun-stances, and trigger discipline with most of its characters. I do like it when stories can weave incredibly ludicrous concepts and plot-lines into a world seemingly just like our own.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Open a book people you might learn something. It's called references. Many popular works do it just much less so in videogames so when kojima does it it's much more apparent.

However if u pay closer attention to names and details in other games you will notice a lot more references too.... Of you read other articles that those elements come from
Seriously. Ya'll know there was a thing called Jane's Magazine before the Internet, right?

Ratrat

A lot of the military research and advice probably comes from Motosada Mori the military advisor for the Metal Gear Solid series. Kojima is not the one that does the research by himself. I love Kojima but people néed to stop treating him like he is a one man show. Without his excellent team behind him Kojima would not be as big as he is now.
As a director he selects his team and what they do, no? Did he have the same team for Policenauts?

Attention to detail extends to every facet of those games.

There's nothing else that you could say that doesn't ultimately translate to this. All of Kojima's games are infinitely filled with deep little intricacies that may or may not surface for everyone.

well obviously no one think Kojima is alone doing research. but the idea to hire military advisor is probably from Kojima. so you can at least give some credit to Kojima. hiring military advisor is the research.

Top Bottom