• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

Because it's the first time DQ is not an exclusive (besides DQX), I doubt the situation will be different.

There's no real benefit for Nintendo in that situation. Co-marketing is plausible but full on publishing when SE will be self-publishing on a competitor's platform? Don't see it.

Grylvak

I am so hyped for this. Took Friday off. My brother is coming over to watch with me and my wife. Snacks and drinks. GAH!

Took Friday off as well. A bunch of friends are coming to play Smash and Cards Against Humanity until the presentation begins. It's going to be a good night.

I hope you, and everyone on Thursday night, have a great time before/during/after the event.

hello are you a switch preorder?

tumblr_msutp5oGWn1rerlvco1_500.png

Jonnax

I'm in the UK so my only decent chances are Amazon and GAME (yuck).

I've moved to a relatively small town. The GAME store just has awful reviews on Google maps.

Amazon gives me no confidence for their delivery times for their free delivery.
That's how long the last three items I ordered direct from them took to deliver.

5 days.
6 days.
9 days.

Not to mention Amazon Logistic left some books I ordered in my black wheelie bin and left a note through the letter box.
It was the height of summer, the bin was full of bags.
And books all smelt like trash.

I want Switch, just don't know how to get one haha.

Dmax3901

So I'm gonna be attending the Australian media hands-on event for the Switch later this week. I'll be doing a write-up for Progress Bar (check us out, we're shit! :D), but I figured I'd check in this thread for any unusual things you guys might want me to look into.

Stuff like the Nintendo reps most-used buzzwords. How tactile the triggers feel. How good the carpet is. If a new Metroid is on the way. What soft drinks they had on offer, that sort of thing.

Terrell

Some of the posts in the past few pages remind me of that Dave Chapelle sketch series, "When 'Keepin' It Real' Goes Wrong".

A Super Bowl commercial would be nice for the Switch.

It would be ad dollars well spent, for sure.

Official Box design?

large

Perhaps many will disagree with me, but square boxes are really unappealing and unnecessarily crop detail out of the art designed for them.

If you want small cases with the same dimensions as a standard box, you're better off making the boxes the length and width of a cassette tape case. And despite what people say about how "size matters" in this discussion, I really don't think it does and would provide a lot of benefits.

I mean, if you're not releasing games in a standard box size, might as well make it as small as you can get it for the savings that would net you.

Wow, I even received an email from EBGames telling me about the Switch Presentation.

Hell, they are gonna broadcast it on their website.

Nintendo is still a well-regarded brand in Canada and Nintendo sells consoles here at a higher per capita rate than the US outside of the NES and the Wii.

I'm not surprised that EBGames is going where the money is.

Rösti;227932376 said:
I will aim to have the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 OT up around twelve hours before the show starts. It'll likely be closed until an hour before it all begins however, as is usually the case with press conference threads.

I'd almost prefer that it would be left closed until 10 minutes prior. That first hour is basically 15-20 pages of nonsense hype posts that you have to wade through to get to anything substantial.

The other option is for people to exercise restraint, but... well, yeah.

Buying big studios or publishers isn't as easy as some think. I remember back in the day that Nintendo was rumored to buy Bandai Namco only to be halted by the government because of monopoly issues. I don't know if that's legitimate but it kind of makes sense as Bamco is a really big game company aside from their merchandising side of things.

They could have bought companies like Capcom with their cash, but Capcom themselves lost a lot of key people that made their iconic games aside from Monster Hunter, so would it really be a worthy investment? Same with Konami, which is doing much better without their gaming division doing anything. You need the people behind the games, not just owning the IPs themselves.

I think what Nintendo is doing starting from the late stage of Wii U is a much better strategy going forward: partner up with these developers for exclusive games, whether lending their IP for a crossover game, co-funding a new game, asking them for assistance in making their own first party titles, or just keep certain IPs as exclusives.

Yes, people are aware that the talent left. But let's say, very hypothetically, that Nintendo owned these IPs. If Nintendo called them and offered them contractual work to make these games again, you think they would say no?

Nintendo has a very strong history of respecting and treating their development employees well, both inside and outside the company. It's probably why Platinum entertained working with Nintendo whatsoever, and they have been quite vocal about how positive that working relationship has been overall.

Unless they left these companies specifically because they didn't want to work on that IP anymore, I think Nintendo would be the best-case scenario to win some of them back.

You know you've gone off the anti-Switch deep end when you even leave Aostia speechless.

Yeah, that.... that's saying something.

I'll doubt Hideki Kamiya would want to work with Microsoft anymore. Would be good news for NIntendo to work with Kamiya again.

That's my #1 takeaway from the Scalebound cancellation, that Microsoft burned bridges there. What that translates into for Nintendo is yet to be seen, but it seems likely to me that their relationship with Platinum is about to get very cozy.

Grylvak

So I'm gonna be attending the Australian media hands-on event for the Switch later this week. I'll be doing a write-up for Progress Bar (check us out, we're shit! :D), but I figured I'd check in this thread for any unusual things you guys might want me to look into.

Stuff like the Nintendo reps most-used buzzwords. How tactile the triggers feel. How good the carpet is. If a new Metroid is on the way. What soft drinks they had on offer, that sort of thing.

As strange as it sounds, i'd live to know how good the kickstand is on the back of the system.

Drewboy64

I believe he is and so am I... Wii was a fad... no one cares about it anymore.. maybe Sean Malstrom, his followers and people that became a Nintendo fan after 2006.

I've been on this boat since the NES man, most my friends (the ones that still play video-games) will agree with me... the Wii was a huge mistake, it was Nintendo turning its back to the people that loved and supported it. It sold incredibly well, it surely did, but at an extremely high cost to the company's image, to the point where the WiiU (that is a fairly decent console with amazing games) sold almost anything.

Lol Wii introduced so much to the gaming world. I'd even go so far as to say it helped bring about VR as we know it

LordKano

werent there reports saying they started making these since last june?

and wasnt it originally going to launch in 2016?

I thought they were ahead of schedule on manufacturing

While I still think this thing will be a pain in the ass to get, I am willing to bet that bumped that number up by 1 or 2
He also said that amount could be adjusted based on consumer reaction to Switch and pre-order volume. And we're well aware of how positively Switch was received thus far.

Maybe but going from 2M worldwide to 2.5M on US alone is a bit (actually, it's way too friggin) overkill.

ngower

Went to Gamestop today to see if I could put down for a pre-order and was told I should line up Friday because stock is going to be extremely limited. I cannot fucking understand why this company is limiting stock. I'm not saying artificial scarcity, but it's obvious they're not mass producing early on in its life cycle. Absurd.

Went to Gamestop today to see if I could put down for a pre-order and was told I should line up Friday because stock is going to be extremely limited. I cannot fucking understand why this company is limiting stock. I'm not saying artificial scarcity, but it's obvious they're not mass producing early on in its life cycle. Absurd.

thats so weird since the rumors suggested otherwise and before Iwata passed it was originally being lined up to launch over the fall of 2016

but who knows how much got shifted since then

NateDrake

It's 2million units for March to spread across the entire world. So if each region only gets 650k units, they have to allocate a lower number of pre-orders for stores to guarantee they don't oversell launch stock. Nintendo won't want an Xbox 360 launch where it took months to fill pre-orders.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the end of the fiscal year March 31st?
Correct.

Neoxon

It's 2million units for March to spread across the entire world. So if each region only gets 650k units, they have to allocate a lower number of pre-orders for stores to guarantee they don't oversell launch stock. Nintendo won't want an Xbox 360 launch where it took months to fill pre-orders.

Correct.
You heard that from your sources?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps many will disagree with me, but square boxes are really unappealing and unnecessarily crop detail out of the art designed for them.

If you want small cases with the same dimensions as a standard box, you're better off making the boxes the length and width of a cassette tape case. And despite what people say about how "size matters" in this discussion, I really don't think it does and would provide a lot of benefits.

I mean, if you're not releasing games in a standard box size, might as well make it as small as you can get it for the savings that would net you.

Smaller the better for me. Less plastic wasted=better for the environment. I don't collect, so I don't care what cases look like. I buy physical only for things I want to be able to resell--especially Nintendo games since they retain value so long.

Terrell

It could also just be that Nintendo allocated more units to retailers like Best Buy, Walmart, etc. Which they are known to do.

Grylvak

2 million units worldwide is a very low number considering, but if the system launches on March 17th (as rumored), it doesn't seem as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be. It's still bad nonetheless and more should be put out there but we may learn something new on the 12th.

Of course that's just my initial thoughts on it and I may be missing quite a bit of info that could throw my thoughts under the bus.

LordKano

Since we were talking about Rabbids Kingdom Battle which will be revealed in three days, do you guys remember Attack of the Killer Rabbids from Outer Space ? Man, the concept arts were so wild, and the initial trailer was...ugh...

Since we were talking about Rabbids Kingdom Battle which will be revealed in three days, do you guys remember Attack of the Killer Rabbids from Outer Space ? Man, the concept arts were so wild, and the initial trailer was...ugh...

Every cancelled Rayman and Rabbids project stings so badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom