• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

Mory Dunz

Peléo;228393232 said:
Many people are curious about the traditional controls. I think something close to this may work:

PRO Contoller:

Left Analog: Move Character
A: Dash
B: Jump
X: Right Punch
Y: Left Punch
R / L: Curve Right Punch
ZR / ZL: Curve Left Punch
Left Analog Button: Super Attack

Another option is using the actual R and L buttons to activate the punches and then pressing then again to curve them (Might end up feeling more natural).

A: Dash
B: Jump
X: Super Attack
R: Right Punch / Curve Right Punch In
L: Left Punch / Curve Left Punch In
ZR: Curve Right Punch Out
ZL: Curve Left Punch Out

With this setup, it's even possibe to play it on a single Joy-Con, although it may be hard to curve both punches simultenously (Remeber the ABXY buttons are rotated when holded horizontally):

X: Right Punch / Curve Right Punch In
Y: Curve Right Punch Out
A: Left Punch / Curve Left Punch In
B: Curve Left Punch Out
R: Dash
L: Jump
Left Analog Button: Super Attack

I like scheme 2. I think ZR and ZL should both be able to start punches as well though.
I wonder what the R analog stick would do.

Jintor

FUCKING COMEBACK BABY

yo i think this has esports potential and that really basic revenge narrative was a really good way to show off arms

seantos

Neo Member
Motion Controls optional??? This game just got a lot more interesting. This is all stuff I wish had been made more clear during the press conference.

I'm guessing they're harder to use, but yeah, I'd like to see them more. Especially Mechanica.

Yeah, I'm curious about how they'll play. I'll have to go searching on Youtube for some footage of them.

FUCKING COMEBACK BABY

yo i think this has esports potential and that really basic revenge narrative was a really good way to show off arms

Having her lose to someone billed as a decent player, go away and practice fr a couple hours, then come back and win is a great way to show that the game is easy to learn, even if it was scripted.

Yeah, I'm curious about how they'll play. I'll have to go searching on Youtube for some footage of them.
The Treehouse Stream has a decent amount of Master Mummy. He's obviously a tank character, with his most interesting trait being that he heals himself as he blocks.

Mechanica was also on the stream, but her section was a little laggy, so I didn't see much of how she works. I'm guessing she's the most technical of the group.

jackal27

Banned
Wow this game looks really good in action. Suddenly this has my interest. I dig the visual style a lot and those matches can get tense.

Peléo

The Treehouse Stream has a decent amount of Master Mummy. He's obviously a tank character, with his most interesting trait being that he heals himself as he blocks.

Mechanica was also on the stream, but her section was a little laggy, so I didn't see much of how she works. I'm guessing she's the most technical of the group.

Mechanica is able to hover in midair. It's barely noticeable unless you are paying attention, due to all the jump/air dash options. I think JC might have mentioned it on stream as well.

I can't make timestamps right now from the japanese stream, but between the Splatoon segment and the second ARMS segment, there was a tutorial video explaining the basics of the game. In the end of this tutorial you can see Mechanica floating while fighting against Master Mummy.

Sonic the werehog secret character

latest

Peléo;228398508 said:
Mechanica is able to hover in midair. It's barely noticeable unless you are paying attention, due to all the jump/air dash options. I think JC might have mentioned it on stream as well.

I can't make timestamps right now from the japanese stream, but between the Splatoon segment and the second ARMS segment, there was a tutorial video explaining the basics of the game. In the end of this tutorial you can see Mechanica floating while fighting against Master Mummy.

Ooooh, now I'm much more curious about what gimmicks the unrevealed characters could have.

Peléo;228398508 said:

Oh, that's a really cool mechanic. Ninjara seems the most interesting to me with his short teleport, but I can't wait to see everyone's abilities. I'm hoping we at least get 12 characters.

Cool to see people wonder about the traits and stuff! Actually, I've been watching a TON of videos on it and this is what I've gather up so far on the characters and gloves. Might not be 100% accurate but it's close enough.

Characters:
Spring Man: Balanced, supposedly better movement(dash/jump) than everybody else(?)
Ribbon Girl: Balanced, able to jump multiple times
Ninjara: Fast, both ground and air dashes makes him disappear, while blocking he disappears when punches are near
Master Mummy: Slower, Super Armor, able to gain 10 HP back by sucking souls while blocking
Mechanica: Slower, Super Armor, able to boost when holding down the dash button, able to hover in the air

Gloves:
Toaster: Standard gloves - Charge state burns opponent (no extra damage, just visually).
Sparky: Standard gloves - Charge state stuns both of the opponent's arms temporarily
Revolver: Shoots 3 bullets one after another in a row - Charge state stuns both of the opponent's arms temporarily
Trident: Shoots 3 missiles horizontally at the same time, wide range, weak - Charge state spins missiles which does more damage
Boomerang: Shoots a boomerang that curves back, curves very well allowing it to hit from the side - Charge state launches opponent upward in a small green tornado.
Chakram: Virtually identical to boomerang gloves from what I've seen?
Big Punch: Biggest glove, hard hitting, able to break through smaller gloves at times - Charge state makes it spin, breaks through gloves easier.
Homie: Automatically homes in on the opponent if not curved and causes a explosion when it hits opponent or wall - Charge state does more damage(?)
Popper: Shoots 2 stars in a twisting motion - Charge state launches opponent upward in a small green tornado.
Slapamander: Slaps the opponent, longest range(?), weak, curves really well - Charge state burns opponent (no extra damage, just visually).

Harpoon

Homie: Automatically homes in on the opponent if not curved - Charge state cause an explosion on the opponent when it hits.

I think it explodes regardless of whether it hits the opponent or not after it's charged. I remember one video where it missed the other fighter, but it still caused an explosion when it hit the wall behind them and they got hurt by the splash damage.

Cool to see people wonder about the traits and stuff! Actually, I've been watching a TON of videos on it and this is what I've gather up so far on the characters and gloves. Might not be 100% accurate but it's close enough.

Characters:
Spring Man: Balanced, supposedly better movement(dash/jump) than everybody else(?)
Ribbon Girl: Balanced, able to jump multiple times
Ninjara: Fast, both ground and air dashes makes him disappear, while blocking he disappears when punches are near
Master Mummy: Slower, Super Armor, able to gain 10 HP back by sucking souls while blocking
Mechanica: Slower, Super Armor, able to hover in the air

Gloves:
Toaster: Standard gloves - Charge state burns opponent (no extra damage, just visually).
Sparky: Standard gloves - Charge state stuns both of the opponent's arms temporarily
Revolver: Shoots 3 bullets one after another in a row - Charge state stuns both of the opponent's arms temporarily
Trident: Shoots 3 missiles horizontally at the same time, wide range, weak - Charge state spins missiles which does more damage
Boomerang: Shoots a boomerang that curves back, curves very well allowing it to hit from the side - Charge state launches opponent upward in a small green tornado.
Chakram: Virtually identical to boomerang gloves from what I've seen?
Big Punch: Biggest glove, hard hitting, able to break through smaller gloves at times - Charge state makes it spin, breaks through gloves easier.
Homie: Automatically homes in on the opponent if not curved - Charge state cause an explosion on the opponent when it hits.
Popper: Shoots 2 stars in a twisting motion - Charge state launches opponent upward in a small green tornado.
Slapamander: Slaps the opponent, longest range(?), weak, curves really well - Charge state burns opponent (no extra damage, just visually).
Thanks for this!

guek

Banned
I think this is gonna be a sleeper hit in the vein of splatoon. I could definitely see this gaining traction competitively if it's as good as splatoon too

I think it explodes regardless of whether it hits the opponent or not after it's charged. I remember one video where it missed the other fighter, but it still caused an explosion when it hit the wall behind them and they got hurt by the splash damage.

Oh really? Thanks for the info, I've always seen it miss until one finally hit the opponent with a charged version which exploded. I guess charged just does more damage probably so I'ma update the list.

Steiner

Banned
Mechanica, in addition to her hovering, can also dash more effectively. Instead of pressing L for a quick dash like with other characters, with Mechanica you can actually hold L for a certain period of time to boost around a bit. She's quite mobile, and was my favorite character to play.

Mory Dunz

American marketing campaign better be centered around "Catch these ___"

Are they trying to sell those sweaters or something? Everyone had them in diff colors.

Mechanica, in addition to her hovering, can also dash more effectively. Instead of pressing L for a quick dash like with other characters, with Mechanica you can actually hold L for a certain period of time to boost around a bit. She's quite mobile, and was my favorite character to play.

nice

Oh wow, I didn't catch this at all since a lot of people didn't pick her. It's really nice to see a lot of different traits for all of the characters and it makes me excited to see what the new characters do whenever they're announced!

Oh man I love this. I feel like ill love her just for that period of dashing

Nuu

Banned
Unlike Splatoon I'm not convinced that motion controls add anything aside from immersion just yet. But this is a dual stick game so the non motion controls remain to be seen. Perhaps motion controls would feel more natural than using two sticks.

Carving in SSX Blur was far superior due to motion controls. Sword play in Skyward Sword allowed for more accurate and precise slicing than the previous Zelda titles. Rodea the Sky Soldier resulted in motion controls being able to curve the player into specific angles to navigate throughout the environments while having both thumbs free to do other actions.

1upmuffin

When they first showed ARMS in the conference it looked just okay, but seeing more gameplay I'm starting to get more excited for this. Has a lot of potential. Hopefully it is solid and gets a good audience from being an early Switch game (before the competition of Splatoon/Mario).

Yazuka

This actually looks fun, when we first saw if I thought it was some futuristic Punch-Out. I'd like to try it, but I could see myself getting this game later.

Top Bottom