• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

Neiteio

I watched all of the ARMS segments from that Japanese stream (feels like an hour's worth of content -- someone should edit together all of the segments), and MAN. I really really REALLY want to play this.

The concept, controls, mechanics, mobility, mind-games, strategy and finesse... The characters, interactive stages, art, animation, music, HD Rumble and effects... Everything is so on point.

At this point I love everything they've shown. I just want more. The Internet needs to tune into this game. Where's the fan art??

Jintor

At this point I love everything they've shown. I just want more. The Internet needs to tune into this game. Where's the fan art??

Where do you think it is lol

it's just hard to search for because ARMS brings up mainly a lot of bodybuilding posts

Two Words

The latency in motion detection should make doing classic controls a must. This game looks like it is built around very precise and timely control input. This game looks fun, but it really should only be done in motion mode for a gimmick. When Hingis get real, you should use buttons. I'm sure Windjammers could be fun too with some motion control scheme, but you're gonna go with buttons when you want to win.

Soul Lab

Its not about prefer but the non-motion control layout matters a great deal because otherwise this game is unplayable in portable mode.
Yea I get that. But I read comments like "woohoo normal controls, gonna buy then"
It's this close minded attitude towards motion controls I cant understand. Everything is immediatly waggling even though the inputs in this game are far away from waggling if played correctly

They haven't said. I feel like it'd have to be the analog sticks as your fists to get the same amount of precision with curving punches, right? But then how would moving work? Curious to see what they end up doing.

Probably the gyro. I know that's still motion controls but it's the only way I could see that config working.

Golnei

Where do you think it is lol

it's just hard to search for because ARMS brings up mainly a lot of bodybuilding posts

You can search for individual characters, but the very generic names they've been given also makes things difficult - searching for Spring Man mostly gives you Megaman posts, for example. As much as "ARMS" itself as a brand benefits from its simplicity, it does have some problems with searchability. But I also think it's an issue with the characters' actual designs, which while approachable and interesting enough, aren't anywhere near as instantly appealing as the Inklings - it's not going to command anywhere near as fervent a following, even if it becomes a respectably popular IP.

I think this is the only piece of fanart for it I've seen alongside the Little Mac sketch, though I wasn't actively looking for it. (Also, I think I prefer it to the actual Spring Man design, mainly for how the eyes are handled.)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_ojqdoudxMT1snizz3o4_250.gif

tumblr_ojqdoudxMT1snizz3o2_250.gif

tumblr_ojqdoudxMT1snizz3o1_250.gif

tumblr_ojqdoudxMT1snizz3o7_r1_250.gif

tumblr_ojqdoudxMT1snizz3o5_250.gif

I really enjoy the colourful design.

Munter

Got to play this yesterday at the event in London. Simple to pick up and a lot of fun! Can see the depth there with the movement and different weapon types.

Should they reveal more characters I hope the make events of them. Generate more hype. This game looks legit, hopefully it becomes another splatoon style hit and encourages more new IPs from Nintendo.

Mista Koo

This was the highlight of the press conference to me. The concept seems great, and the character designs are neat (like a better take on the Wonderful 101). The unique arms/materials is fantastic. I hope people are still playing it when I get the Switch in a year or so. Also Spring Man for Smash please.

Unfortunately I don't expect a lot of content or characters given that it's a launch game. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the entire cast, maybe with 2-3 latecomers like with Wonderful 101.

This game is day one for me.

I always had hope some developer would expand the WiiSprosts boxing mechanic into a more serious fighting game. WiiU gamepad pretty much crushed my dreams.

I gave up hope but then...ARMS! That's exactly the game I was looking for!

Mista Koo

I saw this earlier which makes me wonder how it's mapped for traditional controls. The same input can't control both arms curving. It can't be the Right Analog stick alone.
Analog sticks: Control arms
L: Dash
R: Jump
ZL: Move left
ZR: Move right
ZR + ZL: Super attack

Alternatively you could click the analogs for something.
Edit: You can move front and back. I don't that's possible with my scheme without gyroscope.

They've confirmed there are more characters.
More could still be 2-3 characters. I'm just saying I'm not expecting a fighting game sized roster. Especially given the archetypes they already covered and the way they covered them.

Jintor

Again (just to be sure): ARMS is being developed by Nintendo, right? We don't know what Platinum us working on?

I can't imagine Platinum would do anything without plastering their names all over it, especially after Scalebound just disappeared eating like 3 years of their primary studio's production time.

Brings me mech games with controls like this.

After testing it man the controls are so instinctive and responsive, it feels like nintendo has now the tech to do multiplayer competitive games with motion control. Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but I feel that with how precisely and responsive the motion control are in these joy con, it could brings more game like this targeting these players.

Unfortunately I don't expect a lot of content or characters given that it's a launch game. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the entire cast, maybe with 2-3 latecomers like with Wonderful 101.

What are you even talking about?
1. They've confirmed more characters
2. It's not a launch title

You have no proof, nor is there any reason that it won't be a content rich game if they've charging $60 for it. At worst, it'll be like Splatoon where they'll release it's "full" content within 2 months of release then give it a steady stream of content, but thinking it'll be barebones? Coming from the Mario Kart team? Nothing is indicating that

I bet they add a few characters and stages after launch.

Considering every Nintendo multiplayer focused game last gen had a fairly steady stream of content (Splatoon, MK8, Smash 4), I don't see why this would suddenly buck the trend. I'm hoping since online is paid now, the content is at least free like Splatoon >_>

a harpy

My friends are making fun of me, but this is my most anticipated game on the switch. I instantly fell in love with it when I saw it. I was so bummed to find out that it's not a launch day game. This gif makes me laugh because when I watched the reveal trailer, I couldn't help but notice how much the fighters were missing each other. Thankfully, watching some live gameplay quelled any fears I had about it not being more than just jumping and punching.

I'm worried about the $60 package, but only because SFV burned me. Here's hoping for at least 10 characters and meaty Single Player content. I can't think of a single full-price Nintendo game I've bought with my own money that wasn't a complete $60 package, though. Even Splatoon, which I had doubts about, shaped up real damn nice.

Will there be only 5 characters in the game?
Are they planning to add more later?
It's just a demo. They confirmed there will be more characters. There will definitely be more. It feels like they're doing the same thing like they did when they first unveiled Splatoon.

Mista Koo

What are you even talking about?
1. They've confirmed more characters
2. It's not a launch title

You have no proof, nor is there any reason that it won't be a content rich game if they've charging $60 for it. At worst, it'll be like Splatoon where they'll release it's "full" content within 2 months of release then give it a steady stream of content, but thinking it'll be barebones? Coming from the Mario Kart team? Nothing is indicating that
  1. I didn't know that, as indicated by my previous reply. Anyway I don't expect many characters.
  2. Launch window, close enough.
I didn't know I needed proof or reasons for expectations ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EVIL

My friends are making fun of me, but this is my most anticipated game on the switch. I instantly fell in love with it when I saw it. I was so bummed to find out that it's not a launch day game. This gif makes me laugh because when I watched the reveal trailer, I couldn't help but notice how much the fighters were missing each other. Thankfully, watching some live gameplay quelled any fears I had about it not being more than just jumping and punching.

I'm worried about the $60 package, but only because SFV burned me. Here's hoping for at least 10 characters and meaty Single Player content. I can't think of a single full-price Nintendo game I've bought with my own money that wasn't a complete $60 package, though. Even Splatoon, which I had doubts about, shaped up real damn nice.

Same here. this and zelda will be my pickups at launch. after I saw treehouse I instantly fell in love with it.

Raylan

Banned
I can't imagine Platinum would do anything without plastering their names all over it, especially after Scalebound just disappeared eating like 3 years of their primary studio's production time.

Ah, okay. Really thought I heard here on Gaf that Platinum is developing this game.

The Boat

Yea I get that. But I read comments like "woohoo normal controls, gonna buy then"
It's this close minded attitude towards motion controls I cant understand. Everything is immediatly waggling even though the inputs in this game are far away from waggling if played correctly
Close minded? The gaming community? GAF? Why, I'd never!

This looks great and it gives me a "Dreamcast Arcadey" vibe. With great art direction and a Virtual On feel this really appeals to me. Day 0 for me.

A couple of thoughts I had:

*I hope they follow the Splatoon rule and keep cross-overs/other Nintendo series away, at least for now. Even Little Mac. Let it be its own thing.

*I'd love amiibo for the game I'm just not sure what function they could possibly serve. Plus they might not work so well with the noodle arms.

*Like Splatoon, I hope they leverage social media between now and launch to teach more about the gameplay and the game world. I especially want them to focus on the characters backstories. Is this a common sport? Are they intentionally amputating? Are they born without arms? Is it kind of an underground sport or popular? Are 'Ribbon Girl' and 'Ninajara' jsut stage names and they have regular names outside of sport? Silly details like that.

*There's gotta be something single player here. Arcade mode or tournament/story mode. I'm not asking for a single player campaign like Splatoon had (I'm not sure how you could make one with these mechanics, tbh). But at least Pokken levels of single-player would be nice.

*Alt costumes/colors, please. I know they probably don't have them just for the demo, but still.

*I'm still concerned that the games' name and character names are too generic to be memorable/searchable.

This is the 2nd new character based IP from NCL in about 2 years. I hope they don't fuck it up and I hope people respond well because I want to see them keep experimenting. I don't want to hear Miyamoto or someone going 'Well, ARMs failed to capture the audience, so here's Mario Is Missing 2" in a couple of years.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As I said during the initial conference, I think this has the potential to be THE killer app for the system if they support it with additional content. Looks fun, easy to control, gets players moving, and could be one of those games that are easily accessible and yet much deeper for those who wish to get involved.

zroid

Banned
They haven't said. I feel like it'd have to be the analog sticks as your fists to get the same amount of precision with curving punches, right? But then how would moving work? Curious to see what they end up doing.

One possibility:

- analogue sticks for the arms
- the 4 shoulder buttons make you move diagonally so they mimic a D-pad rotated 45 degrees
- click right analogue stick to jump
- click left analogue stick to dash
- all 4 shoulder buttons together to use super move

I think this would work but honestly sounds really complicated (at least for me who's bad at fighting games as it is)

Top Bottom