• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleCross

Few questions about YouTube VR.

1. Is there a category inside the YT PS4 app for VR? I wasn't able to find one, and I assume just searching "VR" would give mixed results.

2. Another VR video app on PS4 required you to stand up for the best viewing, is this the same with YT VR?

Citizen K

What the the spinning white dots in the middle of the screen? I assumed it was loading but fear it's something like the camera can't see the headset as sometimes the dots stay for ages. This happens in the demo disc.

What the the spinning white dots in the middle of the screen? I assumed it was loading but fear it's something like the camera can't see the headset as sometimes the dots stay for ages. This happens in the demo disc.

Yeah that is just the loading on the demo disk. It is really slow. I don't think any other games are anywhere near that bad.

Actually that reminds me of the main problem I have with developers for VR so far. Loading screens and UI's.

In most cases loading feels disconnected from a game which in VR is amplified greatly, something different than a bar or wheel would go a long way to making the experience more enjoyable. Many user interfaces are a pain in the backside and seems a lot of developers have thrown functionality and good design out the window for novelty. In most cases creating too much effort, there are too many instances where looking directly at something which is often very separate location from where you want to look or having to physically interact in a meaningless fashion. I stand very firmly in the position in that a user shouldn't notice the functionality of interface it should be quick and intuitive and if the user has to think about the actions then it has failed. Novelty can work like it does in VR worlds but most just add needless faff that obscures legibility and hides the framework.

Anyone know what view options there are for Dirt Rally VR? I bought it in the January sale in preparation for the VR DLC and have been playing it using the bumper cam.

My natural choice for VR would be the cockpit view, but I'm worried that it's going to compromise the visibility of the track. Has anyone tried it in VR on PC? What view options were there?

If it turns out to be good in VR I'm going to be tempted by a T150 wheel again...

Just got a PSVR yesterday at Best Buy...I was originally there to get a 4ktv...but when I spotted the VR, I thought "this is different, this is not just another tv." I just hope Sony supports it. Picked up a couple games, but I've only had a chance to play Rez Infinite so far...holy shit is that weird, and cool to experience in VR lol I've never actually played the game before, so it was all new to me.

What are the best VR games you guys recommend getting? So far, I got Rez, Thumper, and Keep Talking and No One explodes.

Just got a PSVR yesterday at Best Buy...I was originally there to get a 4ktv...but when I spotted the VR, I thought "this is different, this is not just another tv." I just hope Sony supports it. Picked up a couple games, but I've only had a chance to play Rez Infinite so far...holy shit is that weird, and cool to experience in VR lol I've never actually played the game before, so it was all new to me.

What are the best VR games you guys recommend getting? So far, I got Rez, Thumper, and Keep Talking and No One explodes.

If you have move controllers definitely Until Dawn!

If you have move controllers definitely Until Dawn!

I do have the move controllers, I haven't played anything with them yet. Hoping my room isn't too small where I'll bang my hands on my desk lol.

I did see Until Dawn is supposed to be on sale starting tomorrow at best buy for $10 i think. didn't know that was supposed to be good.

Anarion07

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1910388709/vrge-virtual-reality-hardware-charging-dock/

Prettiest VR dock I've seen so far. Backed it for psvr. So make sure I get it! 30k goal.

aff4d7d54ecec637263d5056b62ae0c9_original.jpg

ChouGoku

Since you have move controllers, Batman and Until Dawn. Although Batman is short it is the GOAT VR experience for me so far. Resident Evil 7 demo, EVE Valkyrie, not for $60 though. Also I would say Crystal Rift, if you like dungeon crawlers.

Just did the concert viewer in VR for Hatsune Miku Project Diva X...geez, crazy. It seems like when you're far away from what you're looking at, the impact is lessened, but when you're watching Miku dance literally right in front of you, it really seems like she's there. It's so weird, and cool.

I'm gonna have to get RE7 now if this is how immersive things can feel with this thing...I just hope RE7 doesn't make me piss myself lol

joeblow

I have to take a second and post about one of my favorite VR experiences so far.

I bought Trackmania Turbo once it went on sale last month because it had free VR and Pro updates. Instead of making the entire game compatible with the headset, VR mode is made up of 40 new tracks. The wow factor is legit when you are doing loops and making long jumps despite being pretty mild on the stomach unlike some other titles. The graphics, especially on the pro are super smooth and one of the sharpest looking titles I have.

Like some of you who played it, I was able to whip through these 20 - 50 second stunt-filled activities in about an hour or so, eventually getting a gold medal on each one. Short but fun I thought, and I was prepared to put it away until the time came to briefly show it off to someone who would enjoy stunt racing in VR.

Checking one last time that I earned gold on all the tracks, I then noticed that I also earned one green medal. It turns out that the green ones are earned only after literally mastering a track, shaving off significantly more time than it takes to earn gold. That discovery is what opened up to me what this game is all about.

I decided to to challenge myself and get a green medal on all 40 courses, and just the other day (after maybe 10-12 hours of total time played), I finally nailed the last one I needed and the experience has been fantastically and frustratingly rewarding.

It's really like playing an action puzzle game in that you have to figure out exactly how to reduce hundredths of a second off your time after you feel you already mastered it. I recommend any of you hardcore players out there give it a legit try to see how many greenies you can earn and you will see what I mean.

A cool bonus is that the game has online leaderboards that I believe captures the race times for PC VR gamers as well all mixed together, with rankings broken down by state, country, and world. For almost all the VR tracks I had to be in the top 3 of my state to get the "Trackmaster" reward, while on some I also made top 3 in the country and top 20 in the world.

It also tracks the total number of medals earned, and in the end it shows that I tied with the other over achievers in the world with a total of 160 medals (40 each for bronze, silver, gold, and green). Climbing up that ranking to be finally tied #1 was incredibly addicting.

As a free DLC download with little fanfare, Trackmania Turbo VR is probably the most underrated PSVR experience out there. It's easy to dismiss it after playing each track a few times, but the gameplay shines brightly if you truly try to master it.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
How is Surgeon Simulator post patch? Did the issues at launch get addressed? I ask, because it's only $3.24 on the PSstore.

Resident Evil 7 in VR on the Pro is a go. Looks very good and it has a plethora comfort options. On the Pro, don't know about the regular 4, you can really see off into the distance. My only gripe about the graphics so far is the still Water textures are FLAT and I mean FLAT.

C2uRtbeUoAAJnlm.jpg

They will not let you upload video for some reason...LMAO.

I have to take a second and post about one of my favorite VR experiences so far.

I bought Trackmania Turbo once it went on sale last month because it had free VR and Pro updates. Instead of making the entire game compatible with the headset, VR mode is made up of 40 new tracks. The wow factor is legit when you are doing loops and making long jumps despite being pretty mild on the stomach unlike some other titles. The graphics, especially on the pro are super smooth and one of the sharpest looking titles I have.

Like some of you who played it, I was able to whip through these 20 - 50 second stunt-filled activities in about an hour or so, eventually getting a gold medal on each one. Short but fun I thought, and I was prepared to put it away until the time came to briefly show it off to someone who would enjoy stunt racing in VR.

Checking one last time that I earned gold on all the tracks, I then noticed that I also earned one green medal. It turns out that the green ones are earned only after literally mastering a track, shaving off significantly more time than it takes to earn gold. That discovery is what opened up to me what this game is all about.

I decided to to challenge myself and get a green medal on all 40 courses, and just the other day (after maybe 10-12 hours of total time played), I finally nailed the last one I needed and the experience has been fantastically and frustratingly rewarding.

It's really like playing an action puzzle game in that you have to figure out exactly how to reduce hundredths of a second off your time after you feel you already mastered it. I recommend any of you hardcore players out there give it a legit try to see how many greenies you can earn and you will see what I mean.

A cool bonus is that the game has online leaderboards that I believe captures the race times for PC VR gamers as well all mixed together, with rankings broken down by state, country, and world. For almost all the VR tracks I had to be in the top 3 of my state to get the "Trackmaster" reward, while on some I also made top 3 in the country and top 20 in the world.

It also tracks the total number of medals earned, and in the end it shows that I tied with the other over achievers in the world with a total of 160 medals (40 each for bronze, silver, gold, and green). Climbing up that ranking to be finally tied #1 was incredibly addicting.

As a free DLC download with little fanfare, Trackmania Turbo VR is probably the most underrated PSVR experience out there. It's easy to dismiss it after playing each track a few times, but the gameplay shines brightly if you truly try to master it.

Just to add, the Trackmania demo on the PS Store has some VR content included. There's little excuse for anyone not to check it out.

I was just playing Abzû but after playing VR Worlds I can't help but wish it was in VR. It is beautiful but you know how much better it could be.

I just had one of those amazing VR moments in Robinson: The Journey:

https://youtu.be/ZeRSmYnWl1M

Explanation:
I got away from the main path because I saw a collectible in the distance. Now that I finally had it, I wasn't really sure how to get back, so I decided to use these roots to get to another platform. Suddenly the music kicks in, I hear that intimidating scream from the left, and HOLY SHIT. That fucking thing just fucked me up. I just expected it to be another showcase, but this guy was actually serious.

bumpkin

Resident Evil 7 in VR on the Pro is a go. Looks very good and it has a plethora comfort options. On the Pro, don't know about the regular 4, you can really see off into the distance. My only gripe about the graphics so far is the Water textures are FLAT and I mean FLAT.

C2uRtbeUoAAJnlm.jpg

They will not let you upload video for some reason...LMAO.
Three... More... Days...

I just had one of those amazing VR moments in Robinson: The Journey:

https://youtu.be/ZeRSmYnWl1M

Explanation:
I got away from the main path because I saw a collectible in the distance. Now that I finally had it, I wasn't really sure how to get back, so I decided to use these roots to get to another platform. Suddenly the music kicks in, I hear that intimidating scream from the left, and HOLY SHIT. That fucking thing just fucked me up. I just expected it to be another showcase, but this guy was actually serious.
I remember that part. I was absolutely blown away and terrified at the same time.

I'm hoping to give Werewolves Within a try tonight. I'm always kind of weary about games where you actually have to talk in the online (I'm generally a quiet player), so I hope I find some good rounds.

Playing in VR is another experience claustrophobic, ducking, feeling like this bitch is really giving you the business. This shit is motion controls in VR with your body, I'm talking bobbing and weaving...LMAO.

You're gonna love it, if you have the PRO, the graphics are top notch.

bumpkin

Playing in VR is another experience claustrophobic, ducking, feeling like this bitch is really giving you the business. This shit is motion controls in VR with your body, I'm talking bobbing and weaving...LMAO.

You're gonna love it, if you have the PRO, the graphics are top notch.
Did they do away with R3 to crouch? Or do you just mean ducking IRL to look for hidden stuff?

I'm still rolling a regular PS4. I'm holding off on a Pro, either until there is a limited edition I absolutely must have, or my OG PS4 bites the dust. If the latter happens, my action will depend on the cost to revive it. I have a special attachment to my console as it's one of the 20th Anniversary PS4's. I bought it from a GAF'er shortly after they were released.

Did they do away with R3 to crouch? Or do you just mean ducking IRL to look for hidden stuff?

I'm still rolling a regular PS4. I'm holding off on a Pro, either until there is a limited edition I absolutely must have, or my OG PS4 bites the dust. If the latter happens, my action will depend on the cost to revive it. I have a special attachment to my console as it's one of the 20th Anniversary PS4's. I bought it from a GAF'er shortly after they were released.

No you still have the R3 Crouch. Ducking, bobbing and weaving in real life. There are some real life crouch moments in the basement, but it's just habit, cause the animation auto crouch.

seady

Maybe a stupid question.... but for the games that require move controller, do they require 2 move controllers to work? I only have 1 move controller back from PS3 days.

Hey! So.. has anyone figured out a decent solution for the PSVR + PS4 Pro + 4K TV setup that doesn't require yanking a bunch of HDMI cables out of everything each time I want to play either an HDR PS4 Pro game or a PS4 Pro enhanced PSVR game? I saw a couple of HDMI switch boxes being kicked around a few months back but haven't seen much talk of them since. What are you guys using to make this easier?

Belker

that is nice. i really wish it had some kind of cover though. I got pets, and I'm putting the headset back in the box always cuz im worried about hair getting all over the lenses

I only thought of this after sending mine back, but I reckon an elasticated shower cap placed backward over the PSVR would keep it dust free; pull it over the bit one's head goes into.

Maligna

Banned
I do have the move controllers, I haven't played anything with them yet. Hoping my room isn't too small where I'll bang my hands on my desk lol.

I did see Until Dawn is supposed to be on sale starting tomorrow at best buy for $10 i think. didn't know that was supposed to be good.

Since you have move controllers, don't sleep on Fruit Ninja. I'm not joking. It's awesome in VR.

somme

Maybe a stupid question.... but for the games that require move controller, do they require 2 move controllers to work? I only have 1 move controller back from PS3 days.

Some games allow you to use one of it's own. Fruit Ninja is one.

Maligna

Banned
Some games allow you to use one of it's own. Fruit Ninja is one.

I find fruit ninja is more fun with one move rather than two. Ninjas don't use two katana. (Unless you're a ninja turtle) That's too unwieldly. You should use one sword in two hands.

Best Buy has some PSVR games on sale this week...

Until Dawn: RoB $10
Driveclub VR $30
Battlezone $40
EVE Valkyrie $40
RIGS $30
RotTR: 20th Year Celebration Edition $40
Star Wars: Battlefront $15

bumpkin

I find fruit ninja is more fun with one move rather than two. Ninjas don't use two katana. (Unless you're a ninja turtle) That's too unwieldly. You should use one sword in two hands.
But doesn't that kind of limit your score potential? I would think since they designed it for two swords, the fruit spawning and quantity would only be possible using both.

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone own Battlezone VR? I played the demo and it's one of the few psvr games to give me the sense of presence in VR. Is it worth 39.99 (bestbuy price)?

Maligna

Banned
But doesn't that kind of limit your score potential? I would think since they designed it for two swords, the fruit spawning and quantity would only be possible using both.

No, it's fine. You can make two or three cuts before the fruit hits the floor usually.

I find I do better with one sword in every mode except for Survival where they fire the fruit AT you. It's much easier to slice the incoming fruit with two swords.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Anyone own Battlezone VR? I played the demo and it's one of the few psvr games to give me the sense of presence in VR. Is it worth 39.99 (bestbuy price)?
I picked this up at launch, and, honestly, it's my least-played title. It's very much a rogue-like in terms of structure, but I think they went in a little too hard with the difficulty. Even on easy, you need to concentrate and be on-point virtually the entire time. I haven't finished a single game of it, and I find the difficulty just turning me off. It's a fantastic, full-fat game, but you gotta be ready to put in the work to "git gud".

I have to admit I have been waiting and waiting for psvr. But I don't want to get burnt by Sony! I hope to see lots of New announcements at gdc2017 then and maybe only then will I get one.

I am really dying to purchase but 350.00 is a lot of money!

bumpkin

I picked this up at launch, and, honestly, it's my least-played title. It's very much a rogue-like in terms of structure, but I think they went in a little too hard with the difficulty. Even on easy, you need to concentrate and be on-point virtually the entire time. I haven't finished a single game of it, and I find the difficulty just turning me off. It's a fantastic, full-fat game, but you gotta be ready to put in the work to "git gud".
Same here. I picked it up when it was a Deal of the Day at Best Buy and I barely play it after getting close to finishing a campaign and being robbed at the end a few times. If you fail, it's an hour or more down the drain.

BTails

So I'm finally starting to get the hang of RIGS. Played my first online match today (and the guy rage quitted when he was down 4-0, haha). Also smoked the computer in a round of Endzone: 5-0 final score, all goals by me.

What's everyone's favourite rig? I'm rolling with the Vampire double jump one right now, but I'm not sold on the warhead weapon (I love the beam though!).

RoyalFool

Banned
I have to admit I have been waiting and waiting for psvr. But I don't want to get burnt by Sony! I hope to see lots of New announcements at gdc2017 then and maybe only then will I get one.

I am really dying to purchase but 350.00 is a lot of money!

It's a tricky one, a lot of people seem on edge right now during the post-launch software drought. Games take so long to develop that if Sony really don't have anything beyond whats already announced then it's looking pretty poor for 2017. I'm hoping they are waiting for the stock levels to pick back up before they drop the announcements on us.

Personally I'm not worried, have it working on Steam VR (thanks to third party drivers) and have purchased so many good (and a few great) titles for it, that I feel like my initial investment was worth it. I felt so fucking burnt on the WiiU I almost didn't pull the trigger, but it's more than just the games, YouTube VR and the social stuff will give it pretty long legs regardless of first party support (imo)

/rant

I have fun with it. No two games play exactly alike and theres a nice strategic element to it all.

Upgrades are handled well, with dozens of things to customize/modify. I also thoroughly enjoy the difficulty. The AI occasionally shows signs of self preservation and so far has been a blast in co-op. Online seems decently active as well.

It's also one of the few games you can really dig in to for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom