• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this made the fogging significantly worse?

Personally the light bleed and glare looks horrible when I first put the headset on, but by the time a game has started I don't even notice it anymore. I know you can reduce it slightly by wearing the head band higher at the back.

I'm not aware of any issues, but didn't really follow impressions too much. I'm with you in that once I get playing I generally don't turn my vision to the bottom of the headset anyway so it's not too bothersome.

gmoran

I am gonna try again

guys I have a 2 questions

1. I don't wear glasses. I am struggling to find the best way to put the headset on. if I am looking for a more snuggle fit, to block any external light, I notice that the lens get foggy, maybe from my breathing or fore head. I don't know if I should put the head strap lower toward my neck, have no idea. any suggestions?

2. why on earth my lens get smudges after I play when I am not wearing glasses? my eyelashes ? breathing? anyway to prevent this from happening?

1. You need to let the lenses warm up, so when I first put the headset on its pulled down at the back and the visor is out a couple of notches, I play like this for about 20 minutes. Then I pull the visor in as much as it goes and pull the band at the back up (remember to push the release switch first) do this to lose the gap at the front and increase FOV.

2. Eyelashes I think, especially if you do what I suggested in 1.

the lenses in PSVR are really good, probably acrylic aspheric, but that contributes to them fogging until they warm up

I use a branded lens pen to help clean the lenses, but only to help (brush to remove dust, pad to help remove grease but only now and then and very sparingly-still use the microfibre to actually clean). The microfibre should be the main cleaning agent, and it needs to be periodically cleaned itself (once a month? just washed out with water)

1. You need to let the lenses warm up, so when I first put the headset on its pulled down at the back and the visor is out a couple of notches, I play like this for about 20 minutes. Then I pull the visor in as much as it goes and pull the band at the back up (remember to push the release switch first) do this to lose the gap at the front and increase FOV.

2. Eyelashes I think, especially if you do what I suggested in 1.

the lenses in PSVR are really good, probably acrylic aspheric, but that contributes to them fogging until they warm up

I use a branded lens pen to help clean the lenses, but only to help (brush to remove dust, pad to help remove grease but only now and then and very sparingly-still use the microfibre to actually clean). The microfibre should be the main cleaning agent, and it needs to be periodically cleaned itself (once a month? just washed out with water)

like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081ER9KG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kyolux

That's only like 3 weeks. That's not a long time.

What are you talking about? PS VR is dead.

It's january, PS VR is 3 months old tomorrow. Let's keep a bit of perspective. Games will start coming again in due time.

edit: Dammit.. top of page.

edit2:
I'm on the same page as some folks who don't use it much atm. But it's mostly cause I've been waiting for games to go down in price and also waiting for that Bound patch to fix the camera. Also there were a ton of non VR games for sale over the holidays so I am working on those.

I love it though. I still play Rigs weekly and I got Arkham VR for Christmas and it was awesome.

When I bought I knew I would have this lull while waiting for sales.

Yeah, I actually haven't touched mine in a bit. But it's mostly because I have been busy with other games or been too tired in the evening to play games at all. Also, during the Holidays, my xmas tree was interferring with tracking too much for some reason.

Mathieran

Banned
I'm on the same page as some folks who don't use it much atm. But it's mostly cause I've been waiting for games to go down in price and also waiting for that Bound patch to fix the camera. Also there were a ton of non VR games for sale over the holidays so I am working on those.

I love it though. I still play Rigs weekly and I got Arkham VR for Christmas and it was awesome.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This is me too. Thinking about buying "I Expect You To Die". People keep saying that it's a good VR game.

bumpkin

This is me too. Thinking about buying "I Expect You To Die". People keep saying that it's a good VR game.
It's awesome! Its only real downfall is it only has four missions. Each mission is a well thought out little experience though, and they give you 6 (I think?) extra little challenges to tick off in each mission. Those decorate your "office" with fun trinkets and achieving them goes towards the trophies pertaining to "souvenirs."

SHarris78

Just beat the first 2 'levels' of thumper, sooo good. As I was getting a bit hot with the PSVR on I decided try have a go in non-vr mode, and it's borderline unplayable. What's with the swaying of the screen left and right? Completely messes with your sight down the track!

VR mode only for me from now on!

Plasma

Banned

It's good though it is over far too quickly, I don't blame you for waiting for it to drop in price.

I'm hoping we start seeing a steady trickle of new releases again soon it felt like right up to the Christmas break there was always something new coming out every week even if they were just small experiences. I can't imagine it will be that long until we get back to that I would imagine there are a lot of devs who are working on the Vive/Oculus that have taken note of how many PSVR headsets have been sold and will start porting over their games.

I don't use PSVR as much as I used to, but when I do use it, I always have a fucking blast.

Such amazing technology, especially when paired with good headphones. I also use a SubPac ;)

bumpkin

Guys... RE7 comes out on Tuesday... SO CLOSE!

i-3pkH8JM-2100x20000.jpg

Kyolux

Talked a bit to the dev for Redemption's Guild dev on Youtube. Pretty cool dude. I'm really looking forward to that game, if it lives up to it's potential at least.

I'd probably get a second headset so the lady can play with me on those Satuday evening I can't be in her city.

New PSVR Games announced by Pocket Money Games LTD:

These games look awesome!

Wacky wings kind of looks lame.

Henry looks hectic. Hopefully the fun kind of hectic, not the frustrating kind. Would be cool if there's a meta narrative throughout the levels.

I must admit that Dimension Hunter looks great. Remindes me a bit of what I played of Raw Data. Doubt there's any multiplayer on this though. Do we know if it's more of an fix/arena shooting gallery or is there some progression through levels as you move forward?

It is 2131 and the inter-dimensional portal ship has malfunctioned, and you are the anti-virus software that must fix the disaster.
You have been downloaded into a security droid and must explore the depths of the ship and stop its frenzy by eliminating its mechanical minions.

ok. sold.

Wacky wings kind of looks lame.

Henry looks hectic. Hopefully the fun kind of hectic, not the frustrating kind. Would be cool if there's a meta narrative throughout the levels.

I must admit that Dimension Hunter looks great. Remindes me a bit of what I played of Raw Data. Doubt there's any multiplayer on this though. Do we know if it's more of an fix/arena shooting gallery or is there some progression through levels as you move forward?

We don't know yet, they were announced this week, but their channel has been posting gameplay to see how things work.

Also, I think this Wacky Wings trailer gives it more justice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJlY-SbRsek

Kyolux

We don't know yet, they were announced this week, but their channel has been posting gameplay to see how things work.

edited my post.. but again..

It is 2131 and the inter-dimensional portal ship has malfunctioned, and you are the anti-virus software that must fix the disaster.
You have been downloaded into a security droid and must explore the depths of the ship and stop its frenzy by eliminating its mechanical minions.

Seems like it. I'm buying this one for sure.

I've been playing around with the new PlayStation VR update (ver 1.10) for the YouTube app tonight. I'm very impressed with the picture quality over the other VR Video apps we have. Getting some really nice 4K 360 degree streams through the PS4 Pro which look great when downsampled to the headset.

Haven't come across any 3D 360 footage yet, looks like 2D only.

sladeums

heads up if you're in the US
Best Buy will have a few VR titles on sale next week, 1/22-28 :

Battle Zone $39.99
RIGS $29.99
DriveClub VR $29.99
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood $9.99

RoyalFool

Banned
I've been playing around with the new PlayStation VR update (ver 1.10) for the YouTube app tonight. I'm very impressed with the picture quality over the other VR Video apps we have. Getting some really nice 4K 360 degree streams through the PS4 Pro which look great when downsampled to the headset.

Supports 3D, but good luck finding it. Has to be proper 3D (above/below) rather than the SBS stuff people upload most of the time.

androvsky

I've been playing around with the new PlayStation VR update (ver 1.10) for the YouTube app tonight. I'm very impressed with the picture quality over the other VR Video apps we have. Getting some really nice 4K 360 degree streams through the PS4 Pro.

Glad they put out another update. If it's like 1.09, the VR channel won't promote any 3D videos, but there's tons and tons of 3D videos on youtube if you search for them specifically. The only ones 1.09 recognized as 3D were top/bottom videos (though it got the eyes backwards), which were relatively rare since most support was side-by-side for cardboard usage.

edit: So all those SBS videos aren't 3D 360 videos automatically being converted for Cardboard? I need to mess with VR on youtube more apparently.

Nope, there are 3D videos in there, but they vary wildly in terms of success. There's a problem with consistency in how the image is split where some work marginally well, and others, the image is split so far that it's impossible for your individual eyes to resolve them as on 3D image.
Things far away look okay, but the closer it gets, the more it hurts? And as you close each eye the image shifts the wrong way?

Shoeless

Nope, there are 3D videos in there, but they vary wildly in terms of success. There's a problem with consistency in how the image is split where some work marginally well, and others, the image is split so far that it's impossible for your individual eyes to resolve them as on 3D image.

irkutsk12

Neo Member
Hi,

Patch 1.03 for Bound will be available on 24th of January for US and EU, on January 25th in Asia, and on January 26th in Japan.

Changelog 1.03

Main features:

• New VR camera options added.
  • Some stability issues addressed.
New features:

• Smooth VR Camera Mode in which the camera is moving together with the character and the player can smoothly rotate it with a right stick, but cannot zoom in and out. This mode is designed for experienced VR users.
  • Alternate VR Camera option is now changed into Stationary 1 and Stationary 2 VR Camera Modes. These are recommended for users looking for a comfortable VR experience.
  • VR Camera Height option - determines if looking up and down impact VR camera height after zooming in and out. Applies only to Stationary 1 and Stationary 2 VR Camera Modes.
  • VR Camera Blinks option - determines if camera cuts are handled with a black blink, which is recommended for comfortable VR experience.
Fixes:
  • Random crashes on Trees and Pearls levels should not occur anymore.
We are always open to feedback - let us know what you think through our Twitter (@plasticdemo) or here on NeoGAF !

Hi,

Patch 1.03 for Bound will be available on 24th of January for US and EU, on January 25th in Asia, and on January 26th in Japan.

Changelog 1.03

Main features:

• New VR camera options added.
  • Some stability issues addressed.
New features:

• Smooth VR Camera Mode in which the camera is moving together with the character and the player can smoothly rotate it with a right stick, but cannot zoom in and out. This mode is designed for experienced VR users.
  • Alternate VR Camera option is now changed into Stationary 1 and Stationary 2 VR Camera Modes. These are recommended for users looking for a comfortable VR experience.
  • VR Camera Height option - determines if looking up and down impact VR camera height after zooming in and out. Applies only to Stationary 1 and Stationary 2 VR Camera Modes.
  • VR Camera Blinks option - determines if camera cuts are handled with a black blink, which is recommended for comfortable VR experience.
Fixes:
  • Random crashes on Trees and Pearls levels should not occur anymore.
We are always open to feedback - let us know what you think through our Twitter (@plasticdemo) or here on NeoGAF !

That's great, look forward to that camera.

So a little off topic, but whats up witht he stock of these things? Didnt get one at launch because it had no games I needed to play so I held off and was going to get 1 for RE7. Over 3 months later and I havent seen them in ANY store and theyre not available online (outside of ridiculous prices). Has there been any update on when to expect more. I find it really odd

Dying for the new Dirt Rally VR patch. Really giddy about it.

Still no date thou :(

Yeah, I bought it in the UK PSN sale in anticipation of the VR DLC. Loving the game; tough but it feels like there's a lot of depth.

They said in the next couple of weeks, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

majik13

So, Dimension Hunters looks great. I wonder how it will handle character movement and dual Move controller aiming? I am assuming this isnt PSVR footage. Does Rift or Vive, allow for analog thumb-stick character movement on their motion controllers?

Kyolux

So, Dimension Hunters looks great. I wonder how it will handle character movement and dual Move controller aiming? I am assuming this isnt PSVR footage. Does Rift or Vive, allow for analog thumb-stick character movement on their motion controllers?

Vive allows movement, but it's more like the Steam controller, some sort of touch pad iirc.

Move only games can implement analog movement by using the point and hold Move button.

majik13

Vive allows movement, but it's more like the Steam controller, some sort of touch pad iirc.

Move only games can implement analog movement by using the point and hold Move button.

hmm, not sure I have seen or used "the point and hold Move button" for analog movement. how well does that work and can you aim and firing while doing that?

Kyolux

hmm, not sure I have seen or used "the point and hold Move button" for analog movement. how well does that work and can you aim and firing while doing that?

Off the top of my head, seen it used with Loading Human. No guns in that game to speak of. But you can probably shoot with one hand while doing that.

majik13

Off the top of my head, seen it used with Loading Human. No guns in that game to speak of. But you can probably shoot with one hand while doing that.

Looks like the game doesnt have free character movement anyways, sounds like it is on rails, and then goes to like a time crisis shooting gallery setup, where you can duck behind cover, till you kill all the waves of enemies, and then it moves on rails to the next section.

Kyolux

Looks like the game doesnt have free character movement anyways, sounds like it is on rails, and then goes to like a time crisis shooting gallery setup, where you can duck behind cover, till you kill all the waves of enemies, and then it moves on rails to the next section.

Looks like this is it.

But depends on how literal they are in the description when it says explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom