• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC 2017 Zelda panel

Skeletos311

NOA is live tweeting https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica

Joining us at #GDC17 today is Mr. Fujibayashi, Mr. Dohta, and Mr. Takizawa from the Breath of the Wild development team.
C52t6_NVMAADIdX.jpg

C52t8H7UsAA9UQT.jpg

What does this look like to you? It might look like the original The Legend of Zelda, but it plays a key role in today's panel!
5G2BZFG.jpg

The existing conventions of #Zelda created a challenge for the developers: how do we take a ”passive" game, and create an ”active" game?
C52wuPbVAAAa6T3.jpg

C52wuNoU0AABRJQ.jpg

C52wuRSUoAAptsn.jpg

In looking at the boundaries of the previous #Zelda games, and designing around them, a new freedom of expression and gameplay was formed.
C52xqQuVUAETg9O.jpg

By creating a game in which the player can interact with objects, and objects can react to the world, #Zelda could become a more active game

The quickest way to bring these ideas to life, and present it to the team, a 2D prototype of #Zelda was created.
C52yUyxVMAASQog.jpg

What are the elements that make up #Zelda: Breath of the Wild? It's a matter of physics and chemistry of course!
C520BEkU4AAA6l9.jpg

Creating a high degree of freedom is paramount for this #Zelda. For example, being able to push this rock.. all the way to the final boss! ��
C520V7eUoAIyCe8.jpg

Mr. Dohta on the increasing freedom and complexity of this #Zelda: ”My excitement was coming not as a developer, but as a player."
C522HOkUYAAksta.jpg

C522HRBVUAAoNgD.jpg

C522HSeUoAA5UmU.jpg

What is the ”chemistry" of #Zelda: Breath of Wild? All reactions are connected to the world, and of course, Link.
C52315tVUAAqyo2.jpg

C52317fU0AEq9OU.jpg

C52319VVAAEWEyL.jpg

C5231_MVAAAQpA6.jpg

The 2D #Zelda prototype we discussed earlier? It was actually 3D, running BotW's physics and ”chemistry" engine in the background!
C524T2uUoAA8Rcu.jpg

Mr. Dohta: ”We really want players to have these moments where they interact with the world and think, ‘Wow! I'm a genius!‘"
C525ColUYAAs9Bp.jpg

Just development things �� The #Zelda team was caught off guard, but pleasantly surprised by the portability of #NintendoSwitch
C526QPbVMAEOezy.jpg

C526QRcUYAAAIef.jpg

Joining us now is Mr. Takizawa to discuss the art of #Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and he brought some interesting earlier concepts!
C527XF6UYAAAcnU.jpg

Before there was #Zelda: Breath of the Wild there was.. Hyrule Wars? And an alien attack!? The early concepts were definitely wild.
C527vDVVAAAIGp8.jpg

C527vF6U0AAZroJ.jpg

Link himself went through some trial and error. Meet Biker Link, Tracksuit Link and Musician Link. Tag yourself, #Zelda fans!
C528JJ-U0AEdFsn.jpg

Building off #Zelda: Wind Waker HD's art style, what slogan did Mr. Takizawa adopt for Breath of the Wild? ”Refreshing and full-flavored!"
C52-kA2VAAAQwOr.jpg

Mr. Takizawa summarizes #Zelda: Breath of the Wild's art style as ”The reconciliation between the concepts of playability and reality."
C52_360WcAIVvaJ.jpg

Mr. Takizawa's aim is to impress ”Gutto Kuru" upon a player: ”To stir the soul." To do this, #Zelda conventions needed to be broken.
C53Ah21XQAMsu1E.jpg

From the development team of #Zelda: Breath of the Wild, thank you all very much for your support! And thank you for joining us today!
C53BU_TVAAAwyUu.jpg

Guys.... GDC panels are supposed to be informative panels for other game designers, not a chance to reveal new games to the public.

Kinsei

Banned
I refuse to let myself get excited for a hypothetical Zelda Maker. That is quite literally too good to be true.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
It looks like it could be a Zelda Maker. Not to excited about a Zelda Maker to be honest. Was not into Mario Maker at all. Could be cool though.

I would guess it'll talk about how they did some of the planning/brainstorming for BotW's design via essentially romhacking the original Zelda.

jonno394

BOTW as a Zelda 1 map, looks great. Guess they're going to use it as a way to highlight how they built the world map by examining what made LoZ so good, then using that as a basis to fill in the map of BotW.

It's not Zelda Maker, but it is weird how that has the same shadow style as Mario Maker.

Really curious to watch this panel, though. Might wait until after I play some of BOTW just to have a reference point for the gameplay.

Oregano

Are people actually showing up for this panel? It was super sad a few years ago when all the Nintendo panels were ghost towns.

spekkeh

Banned
They were going to discuss how they infused Zelda 1 sensibilities into modern day Zelda / open world design, so it makes sense that they'd illustrate this with BotW versions of Zelda 1. But it's a bit strange that NoA is live tweeting about it though.

Top Bottom