• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Vitacat

I'm hoping with enough complaints, Nintendo will either design the dock or at least offer replacements with felt lining.

Still, why did they not go with an open faced dock like the Microsoft Surface? This would have been perfect.

SUR_Pro3_Dock_Front_Back.png

A dock like that would be sweet.

The hotdog bun design was a mistake.

Drain You

I'm hoping with enough complaints, Nintendo will either design the dock or at least offer replacements with felt lining.

Still, why did they not go with an open faced dock like the Microsoft Surface? This would have been perfect.

Biggest argument going against this is they didnt want to seem like a WiiU. Personally I think they should have made a dock that opens on the front, and only comes into contact with the matte part of the system.

Bit of a hyperbole don't you think?

https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/apple

It's almost like...*gasp*...people have their own preferences on how they want to treat their devices. $300 might be chump change for some people, but for many it's a significant investment and it makes sense that they'd want to take care of their purchases.

I don't see why the cost has anything to do with it. Even a $800 phone would be expected to get minor scratches with use. You can still "take care of it" and have it get minor scratches. I'm saying an expectation of 100% pristine is somewhat unrealistic.

Who cares if people want to put cases and screen protectors on their phones and handhelds. It's theirs.

I don't "care", but in many cases it's a solution to a problem that isn't really a problem. Again, an odd obsession with something being pristine as out of the box and yet also used constantly: a bit incompatible.

lenovox1

I was resisting but I caved and ordered a screen protector from Amazon. They must be selling millions of them, damn things all seem to be backordered.

Not a good look one when your #1 selling launch accessory is a damn screen protector. You dun goofed Nintendo!

It's a plastic screen, they bundle a screen protector in their official case. They expect you to use a screen protector.

They should have installed on in the damn factory, though.

Coffinhal

Because it has JOYCONS and the Surface tablet is here held at the place where the joycons are on the Switch

+ the screen is unprotected here

It's impressive how people here are criticizing the current dock whithout trying to understand why it was made like that and with proposing new ideas that are worse or remove some good things of the current dock.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
People should keep in mind that if the dock is causing the damage, that's a different dynamic than a few dings and scratches from careless use.

The whole concept, and naming convention, of this system is built around being able to Switch up from a console to a handheld. The Switch is a wonderful handheld, can't see myself using it as a console because they designed the dock for a 5yr-old, knowing they would isolate the scratches to the bezel and betting on the benefit of making it easy as toast to insert the Switch.

That's an ironic twist, because while some people say it's not from the dock, and some people say the dock is defective, the joke is that nothing is defective and it's seemingly designed to allow for bending and focusing wear-and-tear on the bezel.

That's sweet for you and me but they just lost a bajillion dollars because they confused people about the function of their last console.

This is marketed as a fully-fledged console *and* a handheld. If it's docked like that it looks like a handheld that has a secondary TV pass-through function, or a tablet that is weirdly useless while connected to a TV. Which, arguably, is what it is. But that's a lot more confusing to consumers than a system doubles as a console AND a handheld. So when it's in "console mode" it has to look a whole lot like a regular console.

swit

Because it has JOYCONS and the Surface tablet is here held at the place where the joycons are on the Switch

It's impressive how people here are criticizing the current dock whithout trying to understand why it was made like that and with proposing new ideas that are worse or remove some good things of the current dock.

well, there is also Vita dock design
psvita_cradle2-large.png

Why would I want to protect the screen in dock mode? Sounds silly to me,

I believe the idea is that you'd be able to place it similar to the Wii U. Who cares that it has a similar look, this is a much better design choice. You'd be able to take it with you, charge it when in this orientation, etc.

Also, the screen is more at risk just using the dock at all, if this thread is any indication.

bobeth

They could easily make a stand that accomodates a joy conned or joyless switch, the important support is at the back anyway.

The screen being unprotected argument is silly.. Protected from what? Meteors?

Seik

Banned

Let's just say that I rather have the screen 'unprotected' than having the 'protection' I have right now with the dock! :p

Poppyseed

Well, I debated doing this for a while, and then said screw it - FOR SCIENCE!

I took my Switch, and slammed it in and out of the dock (bear in mind this is a dock that's absolutely leaning in towards the back, like so many are).

Video here:

https://db.tt/wptWKJuzQm

This thing is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch. I don't know how you guys are doing it. I probably slammed the Switch in 100 times or more in the course of testing. I even SQUEEZED the dock while doing it. (The smudge you see is from the rubber pad, and wipes right off).

So what's going on here?

Also, I even ran my VW car key over the screen, and it didn't scratch the screen. I wasn't going to press super HARD, but you can definitely hear the scraping sounds. No scratches, not even hairline ones.

Video here:

https://db.tt/LkgTBysW5o

I have a second dock that I placed a book in to to straighten the opening, and - yes - it definitely straightens it to a noticeable degree, but since I did the bulk of my testing on the crooked one, I don't see this as the issue.

The only thing that results from slamming the Switch in and out of the dock - is a smudge on the screen from the rubber pad, that wipes off - even with a dry/non-oily finger.

So, take that as you will, but you do NOT need a screen protector for the Switch, and the dock - in my experience - is incredibly unlikely to scratch the screen.

The only way I can see the dock scratching the screen is if there's some particle of grit that gets stuck on the rubber pad at the bottom, but that would be an extreme case.

I of course believe people are scratching their Switch consoles, but it boggles my mind how it's happening.

Anyway, this relaxes me a ton, and reminds me a good deal of the PS Vita screen. Yep, people were scratching those, too, but I haven't put a scratch on mine and it's held up super well (unlike the PSP screen, which was a scratch MAGNET and terribly non-durable).

So, there you go... have at it, and flame away as necessary. :)

As an aside, here's the movement difference between the straightened dock and a dock out of the box...

Vido here:

https://db.tt/7NkQbeN9Yq

And, omg #yellowgate! Which screen would you rather have? :)

cJcnLr7.jpg

Holy fuck that was painful to watch lol.

Good on you that it's not scratching, but if you're implying that people are lying about their screens scratching only because yours didn't, then that's a bit strange. I don't see what the motivation would be to lie about something like that.

Edit: oops missed where you said you believe it's real, which leads to the question..why do this to your switch?

bobeth

I of course believe people are scratching their Switch consoles, but it boggles my mind how it's happening.
Boggles my mind you put so much effort into something so useless. What you are saying is that people are purposefully lying. Why don't you make a thread about that, instead of trolling this one?

-Opaque-

That's sweet for you and me but they just lost a bajillion dollars because they confused people about the function of their last console.

Great point, better than my 'used to be fans in it' theory. We'd almost certainly see "why does my switch turn off when it's docked" and similar from the masses. It would have been cool if they went with that style and worked normally when you didn't have HDMI plugged in (even more confusing for some lol).

Boggles my mind you put so much effort into something so useless. What you are saying is that people are purposefully lying. Why don't you make a thread about that, instead of trolling this one?

While he worded it awkwardly, I think what he means is that people are obviously getting scratches on their switch. He's not denying that. He's saying he doesn't think the scratches are coming from the dock. He doesn't think that they are doing it on purpose, he just doesn't think the dock is the culprit. At least I hope that is what he is saying.

Poppyseed

Why so aggressive? Where did I say people were lying? I just said I don't see how it's happening based on my testing. Good grief. I love how I provide some actual USEFUL information (rather than just a picture of a scratch which really tells you NOTHING useful), and I get called a troll.

Get over yourself, buddy.

Been docking and undocking my Switch a ton and haven't had any scratches. There are two small smudges on the lower right (reverse "L"-shaped smudge) and left (vertical smudge) of the bezel that aren't easily removed, but a bit of liquid on a soft cloth gets them off well enough. Can't really tell if my dock is bent or not. Once the system hits the lower guide I can't really wiggle it at all.

This is what I have been getting with my dock as well. Just smudges, but no actual scratches.

This thread has me pretty paranoid though, so I'm not using my dock until I get my glass screen protector in tomorrow.

Poppyseed

While he worded it awkwardly, I think what he means is that people are obviously getting scratches on their switch. He's not denying that. He's saying he doesn't think the scratches are coming from the dock. He doesn't think that they are doing it on purpose, he just doesn't think the dock is the culprit. At least I hope that is what he is saying.

Not just that, but I believe people ARE scratching their systems with the dock. I'm just not sure HOW it's happening, is all.

PS Given my testing, I absolutely believe you do NOT need a screen protector.

Seik

Banned

Good on you that it's not scratching, but if you're implying that people are lying about their screens scratching only because yours didn't, then that's a bit strange. I don't see what the motivation would be to lie about something like that.

''I'll intentionally scratch my 300$ device and send pictures on gaming forums to create anxiety amongst those filthy Nintendo fans.''

Indeed, doesn't sound like a plausible scenario. :lol

Poppyseed

Edit: oops missed where you said you believe it's real, which leads to the question..why do this to your switch?

I already said, for science. Someone has to do it so that others don't worry as much. Hell, count me among one of those people who won't worry anymore about scratches.

Suplexer

I ask this at the risk of sounding rather silly, but can more confident owners not just rips the guts out of the dock and slap them into a custom dock with no walls? I know that's is obviously not the consumer's job, but from what I have seen of the inside of the dock it seems possible and maybe even easy.

Poppyseed

''I'll intentionally scratch my 300$ device and send pictures on gaming forums to create anxiety amongst those filthy Nintendo fans.''

Indeed, doesn't sound like a plausible scenario. :lol

Quite the contrary! If my screen had scratched there'd be no point putting up videos. Because it DIDN'T, that should REDUCE anxiety.

Seriously, what is wrong with this place?

reektann

Interesting testing Poppy. The thing is - the scratches people have just make absolutely no sense? I put mine in vertically.. straight down and I seem to hit the USB slot bang on. The scratches im seeing are at weird angles .. i cant even work out how those are happening. Really odd.

I already said, for science. Someone has to do it so that others don't worry as much. Hell, count me among one of those people who won't worry anymore about scratches.

Thanks for the videos, it defiantly made me relax a bit more about placing my switch delicately into the dock after seeing that abuse. Have a cookie, for science!

cheez124

i'm starting to get paranoid thanks to this thread...my switch looks fine for now, but i'm afraid to put it back in its dock. i ordered some tempered glass screen protectors, but they won't get here until friday at the earliest. i guess i could put a microfiber cloth in between the screen and the dock until then, right?

ToD_

cJcnLr7.jpg

I'll take the one closest to D65 with a low delta E, which is impossible to tell from that picture since the white balance of the camera is unknown. Also further measurements would need to be taken. The camera could be compensating for either the top or the bottom screen. One of them is clearly better than the other, though.

Variances between display color temperatures are pretty common. Often it's difficult to tell unless you put them side by side since our eyes naturally adjust. I wish closed systems like the Switch and other handhelds would allow for proper screen calibration, but sadly we have to make do with only a screen brightness control. Same applies to (most?) phones.

Poppyseed

The not-yellow one, surely, but can we get context?

Is the yellow one a screen protector or something?

No context needed, except both at max brightness. No screen protector on either.

Think about what you are saying. Switch's screen is probably not as scratch resistant as what people are used to. " pretty much IMPOSSIBLE" is bold and overboard.

No it's not bold and overboard. I said "This thing (i.e. my Switch) is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch." In my testing this is TRUE. I don't know how else to say it?

Thanks for the videos, it defiantly made me relax a bit more about placing my switch delicately into the dock after seeing that abuse. Have a cookie, for science!

Thank you. I slammed it in there at least 100 times off camera, at all angles, dropping it, squeezing the dock as I did it etc. I really don't see how to scratch the thing.

Malus

Lol at the hate Poppy is getting for putting in work and providing an interesting video to test screen durability. Maybe he just got lucky with his Switch and it doesn't mean anything but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Poppyseed

I'll take the one closest to D65 with a low delta E, which is impossible to tell from that picture since the white balance of the camera is unknown. Also further measurements would need to be taken. The camera could be compensating for either the top or the bottom screen. One of them is clearly better than the other, though.

Variances between display color temperatures are pretty common. Often it's difficult to tell unless you put them side by side since our eyes naturally adjust. I wish closed systems like the Switch and other handhelds would allow for proper screen calibration, but sadly we have to make do with only a screen brightness control. Same applies to (most?) phones.

Of course this is true. I've color-calibrated 5K iMac and it looks great (and not piss yellow). You'd take the top one, believe me on this one.

Poppyseed

Lol at the hate Poppy is getting for putting in work and providing an interesting video to test screen durability. Maybe he just got lucky with his Switch and it doesn't mean anything but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Cheers! I just tend to ignore the people whose pre-conceived notions don't line up with reality at times. :D

KingV

On another note, it looks like you can't use a USB C to USB cable to power the dock. I just got a message telling me to use an 'official ac adaptor'.

They are £24.99...

Probably what ever you are connecting on the other end (or the cable) does not provide enough juice to power everything in dock mode. Most phone/tablet chargers can't keep up with the needed current.

Seik

Banned
Quite the contrary! If my screen had scratched there'd be no point putting up videos. Because it DIDN'T, that should REDUCE anxiety.

Seriously, what is wrong with this place?

Dude noooo, I wasn't talking against what you did!

I just saying that the chances that someone would intentionally scratch his screen to create anxiety, as some people would dismiss members that got scratches, were less than probable.

You do your thing, man. However I wouldn't dismiss the problem as a whole because clearly some people had problems anyway. :)

Weebos

Banned

Thanks for this, I can be a little more relaxed now. I don't mind scratches, especially if they're only on the bezel, but just seeing this thread on the front page all the time made me paranoid.

mstevens

Video here:

This thing is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch. I don't know how you guys are doing it. I probably slammed the Switch in 100 times or more in the course of testing. I even SQUEEZED the dock while doing it. (The smudge you see is from the rubber pad, and wipes right off).

Video here:

]

These videos make me feel a lot better. Thanks for making them.

It's a plastic screen, they bundle a screen protector in their official case. They expect you to use a screen protector.

They should have installed on in the damn factory, though.
I didn't realize that the official case comes with one but I have a strong suspicion that they didn't intend for the screen protector to be defense against their own docks.

Poppyseed

Haha. I will take your word for it.

You do that. :D

Dude noooo, I wasn't talking against what you did!

I just saying that someone that the chances that someone would intentionally scratch his screen to create anxiety, as some people would dismiss members that got scratches, were less than probable.

You do your thing, man. :)

I get ya. :) All good. :D

Thanks for this, I can be a little more relaxed now. I don't mind scratches, especially if they're only on the bezel, but just seeing this thread on the front page all the time made me paranoid.

No problem. Threads like this just absolutely will drive you nuts. I mean really, sliding the Switch in and out of the dock WILL inevitably scratch the screen? Really? It WILL scratch the screen? Bollocks. That's just nonsense fear-mongering. How about, it MAY scratch the screen? Sure!

i'm starting to get paranoid thanks to this thread...my switch looks fine for now, but i'm afraid to put it back in its dock. i ordered some tempered glass screen protectors, but they won't get here until friday at the earliest. i guess i could put a microfiber cloth in between the screen and the dock until then, right?

I've done that and have taken my Switch out of the dock dozens of times. I've also made sure that any pressure was put on the back of the Switch, against the dock, and not the screen. I really thought that the back was going to get scratched because I've seen people complain about it and even a picture of a scratched one in the back (the cut was way too deep, I don't believe it was the dock) and the back of my system is as good as new.

No it's not bold and overboard. I said "This thing (i.e. my Switch) is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch." In my testing this is TRUE. I don't know how else to say it?

The switch has a plastic screen. It will scratch easier than glass will. And glass phone screens scratch often enough, so people should be careful. Regardless, I appreciate your testing, and will feel more confident about using my dock.

I took my Switch, and slammed it in and out of the dock (bear in mind this is a dock that's absolutely leaning in towards the back, like so many are).

Video here:

So what's going on here?

Also, I even ran my VW car key over the screen, and it didn't scratch the screen. I wasn't going to press super HARD, but you can definitely hear the scraping sounds. No scratches, not even hairline ones.

Video here:

I have a second dock that I placed a book in to to straighten the opening, and - yes - it definitely straightens it to a noticeable degree, but since I did the bulk of my testing on the crooked one, I don't see this as the issue.

The only thing that results from slamming the Switch in and out of the dock - is a smudge on the screen from the rubber pad, that wipes off - even with a dry/non-oily finger.

So, take that as you will, but you do NOT need a screen protector for the Switch, and the dock - in my experience - is incredibly unlikely to scratch the screen.

The only way I can see the dock scratching the screen is if there's some particle of grit that gets stuck on the rubber pad at the bottom, but that would be an extreme case.

Anyway, this relaxes me a ton, and reminds me a good deal of the PS Vita screen. Yep, people were scratching those, too, but I haven't put a scratch on mine and it's held up super well (unlike the PSP screen, which was a scratch MAGNET and terribly non-durable).

So, there you go... have at it, and flame away as necessary. :)

As an aside, here's the movement difference between the straightened dock and a dock out of the box...

Vido here:

https://db.tt/7NkQbeN9Yq

cJcnLr7.jpg

Thank you for taking the plunge and risk sacrificing your Switch for SCIENCE! Hopefully this puts peoples minds at rest. Not sure what the issue here is, but I hope it gets addressed soon.

sneas78

Banned
https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/apple

I don't see why the cost has anything to do with it. Even a $800 phone would be expected to get minor scratches with use. You can still "take care of it" and have it get minor scratches. I'm saying an expectation of 100% pristine is somewhat unrealistic.

I don't "care", but in many cases it's a solution to a problem that isn't really a problem. Again, an odd obsession with something being pristine as out of the box and yet also used constantly: a bit incompatible.
What's wrong with you? $800 phones get scratches after say 3 months or 6. This is a few days into the device.

Weevilone

Good grief, someone actually puts their money where their mouth is and even that gets shit on? Please..

_SAKY_

Thank you for making this! Makes me feel a bit better about the durability of the stock screen. I'm still going to get a screen protector because I always scratch the screens on my portable devices.

Drain You

So did you grab a knife and hit it as hard as you could?

I'm just pointing out your incorrect use of the word impossible. I think you mean "very hard"

Top Bottom