• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Poppyseed

Thanks for this. But there seems to be a bubble or something on the bottom bezel of your Switch, mostly visible in the second video. What's that from?

That's the ambient light sensor that EVERY Switch has.

Thanks for having the balls to abuse your Switch a little to help the rest of us relax a little. I know your videos have definitely caused me not to worry as much. Also sorry that you have to deal with some trolls attacking you. Anyway, just wanted you to know that there is another person out there that appreciates your investigative work :) Hopefully we do eventually discover the true cause for the scratches that some do experience.

Thanks for this! Appreciate it (and all the PMs).

Well, I debated doing this for a while, and then said screw it - FOR SCIENCE!

I took my Switch, and slammed it in and out of the dock (bear in mind this is a dock that's absolutely leaning in towards the back, like so many are).

Video here:

https://db.tt/wptWKJuzQm

This thing is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch. I don't know how you guys are doing it. I probably slammed the Switch in 100 times or more in the course of testing. I even SQUEEZED the dock while doing it. (The smudge you see is from the rubber pad, and wipes right off).

So what's going on here?

Also, I even ran my VW car key over the screen, and it didn't scratch the screen. I wasn't going to press super HARD, but you can definitely hear the scraping sounds. No scratches, not even hairline ones.

Video here:

https://db.tt/LkgTBysW5o

I have a second dock that I placed a book in to to straighten the opening, and - yes - it definitely straightens it to a noticeable degree, but since I did the bulk of my testing on the crooked one, I don't see this as the issue.

The only thing that results from slamming the Switch in and out of the dock - is a smudge on the screen from the rubber pad, that wipes off - even with a dry/non-oily finger.

So, take that as you will, but you do NOT need a screen protector for the Switch, and the dock - in my experience - is incredibly unlikely to scratch the screen.

The only way I can see the dock scratching the screen is if there's some particle of grit that gets stuck on the rubber pad at the bottom, but that would be an extreme case.

I of course believe people are scratching their Switch consoles, but it boggles my mind how it's happening.

Anyway, this relaxes me a ton, and reminds me a good deal of the PS Vita screen. Yep, people were scratching those, too, but I haven't put a scratch on mine and it's held up super well (unlike the PSP screen, which was a scratch MAGNET and terribly non-durable).

So, there you go... have at it, and flame away as necessary. :)

As an aside, here's the movement difference between the straightened dock and a dock out of the box...

Vido here:

https://db.tt/7NkQbeN9Yq

And, omg #yellowgate! Which screen would you rather have? :)

cJcnLr7.jpg
Damn I would never do this to my Switch... Thanks for this mate! It eases me a little for some weird reason haha

I tried to install the screen protector that came with my Mario case today and it just all went to hell, the little wipe it comes with started to shed and the Mario logo started to peel off onto the screen and screen protector so I ended up having Mario red fiber all over the place and under the screen protector. But upon further inspection after cleaning I have zero scuffs or scratches from taking it in and out of the dock so I'm just thinking I'm gonna leave it as is, unless I decide to get one of those tempered glass protectors.

I can confirm that the screen color/tint differences are present. A co-worker and I just compared our Neon Switches and I have the yellow tinted one. (I don't really mind since I'm mainly going to game on a monitor anyways.)

Good luck in the lottery everyone!!

Weevilone

I can confirm that the screen color/tint differences are present. A co-worker and I just compared our Neon Switches and I have the yellow tinted one. (I don't really mind since I'm mainly going to game on a monitor anyways.)

Good luck in the lottery everyone!!

It shouldn't be too noticeable if you aren't directly comparing it. One of my tablets is more yellow than the other and I only see it if I use them back to back. In fact if I use the "yellow" one first, it makes white on the other unit look blue.

Thanks to poppy I popped my docking cherry. I was worried and it hurt at first, but I went gently into the slot (after stretching it over night) and must admit it was a happy ending. No marks at all.

vampyren

Neo Member
Just got the Hori screen protector (cheaper version) and its amazing, i have to really focus on the edges to see find it, its thin as hell. I really recommend it. Also no bubbles or anything. I knew i could count on Hori to deliver quality :)

phant0m

Nintendo's lack of foresight for any of the issues and inconveniences early adopters are facing, is just staggering.

- Weak Joycon signal- so bad that it could be considered a defect (workaround- buy expensive pro controller)
- Poor dock design, causing scratches on screens (requires purchase of screen protector)
- Poor battery life in portable, with no way to charge (requires USB-C purchase)
- Ridiculous 32GB internal storage (requires purchase of SD card)

No one wants it to fail- people are understandably disappointed, as they expected better from Nintendo. It's like they went out of their way to make it not ready for market.

• Not an issue for most people, especially after day 1 update
  • No it doesn't. I've taken mine and out of the dock probably a dozen times, no scratches. No scratches reported by any of my friends with units either.
  • It's about the same as the 3DS. Playing Zelda for 3 hours away from power is adequate imo. USB-C does suck but I think will be helped by mass adoption starting this year.
  • 32 gigs is weak, but you can get 64 GB cards for $15. 3DS has no internal storage, didn't see outrage about that. And let's be honest, Nintendo's digial library management is a joke. Buy physical when possible.

Doin' god's work, son. Thanks!

MaulerX

I don't know if it was reported already but I got this USB-C extender and it works flawlessly. I got the shorter 1Ft version but I'm sure the longer one will probably work just the same. Guys, this absolutely works.

Pif

Banned

I took my Switch, and slammed it in and out of the dock (bear in mind this is a dock that's absolutely leaning in towards the back, like so many are).

Video here:

This thing is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch. I don't know how you guys are doing it. I probably slammed the Switch in 100 times or more in the course of testing. I even SQUEEZED the dock while doing it. (The smudge you see is from the rubber pad, and wipes right off).

So what's going on here?

Also, I even ran my VW car key over the screen, and it didn't scratch the screen. I wasn't going to press super HARD, but you can definitely hear the scraping sounds. No scratches, not even hairline ones.

Video here:

I have a second dock that I placed a book in to to straighten the opening, and - yes - it definitely straightens it to a noticeable degree, but since I did the bulk of my testing on the crooked one, I don't see this as the issue.

The only thing that results from slamming the Switch in and out of the dock - is a smudge on the screen from the rubber pad, that wipes off - even with a dry/non-oily finger.

So, take that as you will, but you do NOT need a screen protector for the Switch, and the dock - in my experience - is incredibly unlikely to scratch the screen.

The only way I can see the dock scratching the screen is if there's some particle of grit that gets stuck on the rubber pad at the bottom, but that would be an extreme case.

I of course believe people are scratching their Switch consoles, but it boggles my mind how it's happening.

Anyway, this relaxes me a ton, and reminds me a good deal of the PS Vita screen. Yep, people were scratching those, too, but I haven't put a scratch on mine and it's held up super well (unlike the PSP screen, which was a scratch MAGNET and terribly non-durable).

As an aside, here's the movement difference between the straightened dock and a dock out of the box...

Vido here:

cJcnLr7.jpg

Careful while handheld gaming: your massive set of balls might scratch the screen.

I would never try that with mine, but good to know that these issues are not standard.

Weak batch of screen materials for some I guess.

gogojira

While it appears to be that Poppy can rub his Switch to a diamond and it'll scratch the diamond, I would err on the side of caution and not rake your keys across the screen. It's not all a fabrication.

ggx2ac

Video here:

So what's going on here?

Video here:

Vido here:

cJcnLr7.jpg

It's cool that you did this. Because it makes sense for people to be doing stress tests on the Switch with the dock to make sense of things because that's what there needs to be more articles and preferably videos of.

bumpkin

So, I've had an SNES cart and two trading card protective sleeves (the stiff ones) in my dock since last night and I pulled them out a few minutes ago. It looks like it's widened the opening ever so slightly (1/16 of an inch). It isn't blatantly rubbing the console like it was before. While I liked the snugness of its OOTB (out of the box) state, I didn't want to take any chances on it slaughtering my screen's bezel.

Before and with the Cart wedged in

After 24 Hours

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Video here:

This thing is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch. I don't know how you guys are doing it.
Thanks for doing that, this is the type of stuff review sites should be doing instead of eating cartridges.

I'm curious, since you say you don't know how people are scratching the screens, but you have markings right in the same area as most of the scratches. You can see the scuffs from each drop, almost like like a crescent welding pattern.
poppy2.jpg

This aligns with my prediction that almost all scratches or markings will occur in this zone...
switch_dockclamp.jpg

---
However, this thread needs each side of the story. People need to report not having issues as much as people having scratches and bent docks. Thanks again.

Thanks for doing that, this is the type of stuff review sites should be doing instead of eating cartridges.

I'm curious, since you say you don't know how people are scratching the screens, but you have markings right in the same area as most of the scratches. You can see the scuffs from each drop, almost like like a crescent welding pattern.
poppy2.jpg

This aligns with my prediction that almost all scratches or markings will occur in this zone...
switch_dockclamp.jpg

---
However, this thread needs each side of the story. People need to report not having issues as much as people having scratches and bent docks. Thanks again.

those are not really scratches. It's smudges from the little piece of rubber at the bottom of the dock. I have those too and they rub off easily with a cloth.

Kildrek

Video here:

So what's going on here?

Video here:

Vido here:

cJcnLr7.jpg

Which is interesting because the first time I slid it into the dock and took it out, I had a scratch about half of my pinkie length on the left side, not on the screen.

I was devastated.

Poppyseed

poppy2.jpg

switch_dockclamp.jpg

---

those are not really scratches. It's smudges from the little piece of rubber at the bottom of the dock. I have those too and they rub off easily with a cloth.

Yep, just a smudge from the rubber bumper at the bottom of the dock (as I mention in my original post), and EVERYONE gets that smudge. No ifs or buts about it.

Which is interesting because the first time I slid it into the dock and took it out, I had a scratch about half of my pinkie length on the left side, not on the screen.

I was devastated.

I'd be very interested to see how that is possible. Does anything look peculiar about your dock? I believe you, but I'm trying really hard to understand how that can happen unless there's something very wrong with your dock.

ggx2ac

If you guys ever want to prove that the dock itself is the culprit for causing scratches I can help suggest a way to test that.

Null Hypothesis: The dock scratches the Switch screen when it slides down the dock.

Alternate hypothesis: Dust particles on the dock rails scratch the Switch screen when the Switch slides down the dock.

We've already had someone earlier do a stress test on the Switch so basically this could help clear up a few things.

To disprove the null hypothesis, try stress testing the Switch on the dock while both the dock and Switch are clean, clean that there should be no dust present. It would be disproved if no scratches occur.

To disprove the alternate hypothesis, let your dock and Switch build up dust and then do a stress test like the above to see if scratches occur. The alternate Hypothesis would be disproved if no scratches occur due to dust particles.

I can guarantee you that if you stuck sand on the dock rails, that would easily leave permanent damage on the Switch screen when sliding it down the dock.

Now dust particles? That I don't know. They are what most likely left white streaks on mine and others Switches but I was able to clean it off with Windex Electronics Wipes since cleaning it with a dry cleaning cloth didn't work.

Throw in if the dock is bent as a factor too. It's obvious that this has to be replicated under different conditions over a number of times.

A lot more progress would be made doing this, would be nice if there were game journalists willing to do the honours and video record and report this.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Never called them scratches, or thought they were. I'm explaining that they align right in the bezel where all the scratch reports occur. Imagine some particles getting in there, too much pressure, or some other variation and you can see where a seemingly unusual scratch pattern could occur...
blunty.jpg

blunty_pattern.jpg

poppy2.jpg

poppy2_pattern.jpg

Extremely similar markings. Just like welding patterns. Blunty probably had a particle or damaged dock with too much pressure from the guides and tried to remove his joy-cons or align the USB C port and the jiggle caused that pattern.

That's why I think scuffs or markings that aren't scratches are still worth a look, especially if they fall within the bezel.

Hylian7

God dammit, I got the Hori and applied it and there a tiny air bubble in the middle I couldn't push out, so I tried to use tape to peel up part of the screen protector and get it out. The tape didn't work, but I managed to peel it up with my finger, as dangerous as that was. Now that corner has a small air bubble that will not go down because I think the protector is slightly bent. Debating ordering another or just saying whatever.

ggx2ac

That's why I think scuffs or markings that aren't scratches are still worth a look, especially if they fall within the bezel.

What? Those smudges aren't the same as what Blunty got. It's not possible for it to happen.

The rubber pads are on the bottom of the inside of the dock. Where Blunty's scratch is, is halfway from the top of the Switch.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
What? Those smudges aren't the same as what Blunty got. It's not possible for it to happen.

The rubber pads are on the bottom of the inside of the dock. Where Blunty's scratch is, is halfway from the top of the Switch.
There were people earlier in the thread claiming that the pattern of scratches blunty had was impossible to come from the dock.

These are the same pattern of markings, greatly increasing the chance blunty's scratches did actually occur in the dock. I never said they were in the same spot, they just happen to be in the same bezel area with the same motion.

So what's the best way to remove smudges/fingerprints and debris from the screen (prior to using a screen protector) I think I read somewhere about using Windex? I hear it's good for getting rid of the deep smudges (which can be mistaken for scratches)

ggx2ac

So what's the best way to remove smudges/fingerprints and debris from the screen (prior to using a screen protector) I think I read somewhere about using Windex? I hear it's good for getting rid of the deep smudges (which can be mistaken for scratches)

I don't know about the spray, I mentioned I used Windex Electronics Wipes.

Poppyseed

There were people earlier in the thread claiming that the pattern of scratches blunty had was impossible to come from the dock.

These are the same pattern of markings, greatly increasing the chance blunty's scratches did actually occur in the dock. I never said they were in the same spot, they just happen to be in the same bezel area with the same motion.

I bet that's a coincidence. Blunty's scratches are halfway down the screen, thereby guaranteeing they're nothing to do with the rubber pads which are right at the bottom of where the Switch sits. Also, his scratches extend pretty much into the viewable area (or at least the edge of it). I have no idea how he did this, but I don't believe this was the dock.

wFN17K0.jpg

ggx2ac

I bet that's a coincidence. Blunty's scratches are halfway down the screen, thereby guaranteeing they're nothing to do with the rubber pads which are right at the bottom of where the Switch sits. Also, his scratches extend pretty much into the viewable area (or at least the edge of it). I have no idea how he did this, but I don't believe this was the dock.

It would only extend to the viewable area from misaligning the dock from the top.

It didn't align correctly so the scratch would have to have gone from right to left, the scratch ends at the bezel when the Switch is aligned correctly at the bottom.

But if that was the case, the scratch should have traveled down the bezel.

So the other possibility is it scratching while it is wobbling but I don't know if the scratches are consistent with wobbling since I haven't seen other references.

Poppyseed

It would only extend to the viewable area from misaligning the dock from the top.

It didn't align correctly so the scratch would have to have gone from right to left, the scratch ends at the bezel when the Switch is aligned correctly at the bottom.

But if that was the case, the scratch should have traveled down the bezel.

So the other possibility is it scratching while it is wobbling but I don't know if the scratches are consistent with wobbling since I haven't seen other references.

Yeah, either way something is just plain off about how that system was scratched. You'd have to seriously do something nuts to make that happen it seems.

PS I just slammed around my Switch in the dock WAY off center, and no damage after 50 or so plunges up and down. I must be nuts. :D

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This is really my question right now. If you had the Switch in the dock with particulate and too much pressure/misalignment, then you tried to remove the joy-cons, would it produce that pattern? Could that pattern be the motion he drops it in each time and occurring over several repetitions?

I believe the dock has to be involved given the proximity of all the scratches. The Switch guide rails could easily shift that 1/8" and from what I'm looking at, they overlap the bezel and viewable screen by nearly that exact amount.

ggx2ac

This is really my question right now. If you had the Switch in the dock with particulate and too much pressure/misalignment, then you tried to remove the joy-cons, would it produce that pattern? Could that pattern be the motion he drops it in each time and occurring over several repetitions?

I believe the dock has to be involved given the proximity of all the scratches. The Switch guide rails could easily shift that 1/8" and from what I'm looking at, they overlap the bezel and viewable screen by nearly that exact amount.

I don't know.

We can speculate all we want but there will be no clear answer until there are people willing to do rigourous testing with video footage doing suggestions like mine: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=231669413

To be able to go through different factors that can cause scratching and whether or not the cause is solely the dock or if the cause is to do with dust particles on the bezel or dock rails that are causing scratches due to the friction that occurs when sliding the Switch down the dock.

ggx2ac

"You know, things scratch, try one of the many screen protectors."

Then some pads silently stickied in future shipments.

Assuming you meant docks.

That would cause more friction when sliding the Switch down which would be bad when there are dust or other particles on the dock rails.

This is why they used plastic, plastic has a low friction coefficient which is why the Switch slides down the dock easily.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I don't know.

We can speculate all we want but there will be no clear answer until there are people willing to do rigourous testing with video footage doing suggestions like mine: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=231669413

To be able to go through different factors that can cause scratching and whether or not the cause is solely the dock or if the cause is to do with dust particles on the bezel or dock rails that are causing scratches due to the friction that occurs when sliding the Switch down the dock.
I just found out first-hand. They didn't get my Switch, though. I taped a Windows tablet firmly to a piece of cardboard and it's almost exactly the same width as the Switch(<1mm). Slid it in the dock 5 times and got multiple scratches in perfect alignment with the bezel and rails on my dock[bent].
switchdockslot.jpg

th4tguy

So my doc was slightly bent inward like so many others. I decided to try the book trick and after about 24 hours, it's straightened out. I went ahead and ordered the glass screen protector just because. Not too worried though.

ggx2ac

I just found out first-hand. They didn't get my Switch, though. I taped a Windows tablet firmly to a piece of cardboard and it's almost exactly the same width as the Switch(<1mm). Slid it in the dock 5 times and got multiple scratches in perfect alignment with the bezel and rails on my dock[bent].

Okay. We know that scratches would occur on the bezel because it makes point of contact with the dock rails.

What scratches are you referring to and are they actual scratches or just marks you can rub off?

ViciousDS

Banned
Okay. We know that scratches would occur on the bezel because it makes point of contact with the dock rails.

What scratches are you referring to and are they actual scratches or just marks you can rub off?

you dont see the 2 giant scratches to the left of the camera lens flare?

Firebrand

Assuming you meant docks.

That would cause more friction when sliding the Switch down which would be bad when there are dust or other particles on the dock rails.

This is why they used plastic, plastic has a low friction coefficient which is why the Switch slides down the dock easily.
Meant some thin padding stickied onto the railings, yes, on existing docks being shipped.

A redditor posted this:

How does that even happen? During manufacturing and that's what scratched his or her screen?

ggx2ac

you dont see the 2 giant scratches to the left of the camera lens flare?

Is it a scratch or is it a mark? That's the point.

There will always be friction on surfaces, signs of marks or scratches are always indicative of friction.

People aren't freaking out over marks they can rub off, they are freaking out over deep scratches that leave permanent damage like the one in the OP.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

These are the scratches marked in green. Lens flare prevents you from seeing the other 2. I have all the pics. Would take time to post, would you kindly take my word that I have tried to clean and buff out the scratches twice. They are a light, sharp scratch in my case.
side_scratch.jpg

side_scratch2.jpg

ACE 1991

Ok I have a switch with a slightly bent dock and no screen protector for a few days, what should someone paranoid about scratches do?

Lgndryhr

Checked mine tonight. Very small and hard to see without a bright light directly on the bezel. Not too worried. Will order a tempered glass eventually.

ggx2ac

These are the scratches marked in green. Lens flare prevents you from seeing the other 2. I have all the pics. Would take time to post, would you kindly take my word that have tried to clean and buff out the scratches twice. They are a light, sharp scratch in my case.

Okay, cool.

Now, I noticed your dock looked dusty as it had particles on it in the earlier pic shown.

Are you willing to go at this again with your tablet? I just want to see if you get more scratches on the screen.

But what I need you to do is to clean your dock and screen of any dust so we can see if new scratches occur.

ggx2ac

Meant some thin padding stickied onto the railings, yes, on existing docks being shipped.

A redditor posted this:

How does that even happen? During manufacturing and that's what scratched his or her screen?

Some kind of particle was on the screen or the dock rail. It would scratch both sides as the Switch slides down the dock.

I don't know if dust can easily scratch plastic, there was someone here earlier warning against using padding as it trap dust particles making it easier to scratch the screen as it slides down.

Top Bottom