• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Poppyseed

Thank you for making this! Makes me feel a bit better about the durability of the stock screen. I'm still going to get a screen protector because I always scratch the screens on my portable devices.

I tend to be quite gentle with my devices, so this was waaaay out of my comfort zone to test the scratch resistance under "normal" conditions. If you tend to be harder on them, then absolutely go ahead with a screen protector.

Personally, I don't get on with screen protectors because there's ALWAYS some piece of debris that ends up under it, or - around the edges where you tend to get lint etc. It drives my OCD insane. But I fully understand needing one due to hard usage.

Rhuidan

Neo Member
So did you grab a knife and hit it as hard as you could?

I'm just pointing out your incorrect use of the word impossible. I think you mean "very hard"

Because anyone reasonable would want to hit a switch with a knife because?
I'm just pointing out your incorrect use of the word, "Logic."

eoa-swam

That's going depend on the cable and power adapter you're using. I'm able to charge my Switch with the charger that came with my Nexus 6P.

Are you powering the dock?

The Anker cable I have perfectly charges the Switch unit itself, but will not power the dock.

Poppyseed

So did you grab a knife and hit it as hard as you could?

I'm just pointing out your incorrect use of the word impossible. I think you mean "very hard"

Right, but you're talking about other conditions. I was talking about with the dock, as I said this... when testing with the dock. Which is why I then went on to OTHER tests with a key etc.

There's no doubt this screen will scratch given the right conditions. And that's true of any screen cover, - plastic, glass, sapphire etc. Let's not get pedantic over word usage (even aside from your misconstruing the dock test as my somehow saying that it's impossible to scratch the Switch in other ways).

Drain You

Because anyone reasonable would want to hit a switch with a knife because?
I'm just pointing out your incorrect use of the word, "Logic."

so you are ignoring "pretty much impossible"

Edit:
(even aside from your misconstruing the dock test as my somehow saying that it's impossible to scratch the Switch in other ways).

Not sure where or how you're coming to that. Really don't mean to be be argumentative.I'm out though, going to bed.

Cheers, sorry if I came off as abrasive

Glix

Docked about 4 or 5 times since launch.

No scratches, was super careful.

Finally got a screen protector on today (PROTIP - if your sp becomes compromised by particles TAPE IS YOUR FRIEND). I rehabbed a protector that had tons of particles on it causing bubbles.

This is just a temporary until i get tempered glass later in the week but now i can relax about docking, yay.

Lol, docking.

_SAKY_

Personally, I don't get on with screen protectors because there's ALWAYS some piece of debris that ends up under it, or - around the edges where you tend to get lint etc. It drives my OCD insane. But I fully understand needing one due to hard usage.

I have the same problem, I can't stand stand looking at screen defects when I am gaming (dust under the screen protector, dead pixels, minor scratches, etc). Hopefully I can get the screen protector installed correctly this time :D

Rhuidan

Neo Member
so you are ignoring "pretty much impossible"

Any electronic device/screen can be damaged/destroyed if you try hard enough, hence the "pretty much", under normal use, you shouldn't have issues.

In the context of people claiming the screens are scratched from the dock your, well out of context, example is impossible and frivolous.

The thorough testing, with provided evidence, shows that hearty dock usage did not wield any damage.

So again, check your attitude at the door and try being reasonable/logical.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well, I debated doing this for a while, and then said screw it - FOR SCIENCE!

I took my Switch, and slammed it in and out of the dock (bear in mind this is a dock that's absolutely leaning in towards the back, like so many are).

Video here:

https://db.tt/wptWKJuzQm

This thing is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch. I don't know how you guys are doing it. I probably slammed the Switch in 100 times or more in the course of testing. I even SQUEEZED the dock while doing it. (The smudge you see is from the rubber pad, and wipes right off).

So what's going on here?

Also, I even ran my VW car key over the screen, and it didn't scratch the screen. I wasn't going to press super HARD, but you can definitely hear the scraping sounds. No scratches, not even hairline ones.

Video here:

https://db.tt/LkgTBysW5o

I have a second dock that I placed a book in to to straighten the opening, and - yes - it definitely straightens it to a noticeable degree, but since I did the bulk of my testing on the crooked one, I don't see this as the issue.

The only thing that results from slamming the Switch in and out of the dock - is a smudge on the screen from the rubber pad, that wipes off - even with a dry/non-oily finger.

So, take that as you will, but you do NOT need a screen protector for the Switch, and the dock - in my experience - is incredibly unlikely to scratch the screen.

The only way I can see the dock scratching the screen is if there's some particle of grit that gets stuck on the rubber pad at the bottom, but that would be an extreme case.

I of course believe people are scratching their Switch consoles, but it boggles my mind how it's happening.

Anyway, this relaxes me a ton, and reminds me a good deal of the PS Vita screen. Yep, people were scratching those, too, but I haven't put a scratch on mine and it's held up super well (unlike the PSP screen, which was a scratch MAGNET and terribly non-durable).

So, there you go... have at it, and flame away as necessary. :)

As an aside, here's the movement difference between the straightened dock and a dock out of the box...

Vido here:

https://db.tt/7NkQbeN9Yq

And, omg #yellowgate! Which screen would you rather have? :)

cJcnLr7.jpg

Cheers for doing this. I personably didn't think there was too much to worry about and this supports that.

Air

Banned
Just placed the Hori screen protector on. I was curious about the protector melting as I saw a few comments about it earlier in this thread. How long should I leave it on before playing? Would it be ok if I play undocked?

eoa-swam

Just placed the Hori screen protector on. I was curious about the protector melting as I saw a few comments about it earlier in this thread. How long should I leave it on before playing? Would it be ok if I play undocked?

Has there been any evidence of screen protectors melting?. It would have to get pretty hot to melt one.

(I guess it could be an issue with a real thin and cheap crappy version?)

Has there been any evidence of screen protectors melting?. It would have to get pretty hot to melt one.

There's been like three people on a Reddit who said that the adhesive on the amFilm tempered glass protector melted when the Switch was docked. We don't really have enough evidence in that regard.

Firebrand

The not-yellow one, surely, but can we get context?

Is the yellow one a screen protector or something?

Yellow screen lottery has been a thing since the original DS, I think it's just two different screen manufacturers. At least there's only screen this time, so they won't be mismatched.

Still don't understand how they can't simply do some QA or calibration for it after all this time.

Seik

Banned

IIRC the problem was with the PREMIUM Hori protectors.

Of all things, you'd believe this one wouldn't fail. :lol

Air

Banned

There's been like three people on a Reddit who said that the adhesive on the amFilm tempered glass protector melted when the Switch was docked. We don't really have enough evidence in that regard.

Yeah, I didn't hear too many reports about it aside what was mentioned from this thread. I have the official Hori screen protector, so methinks it should have been tested well enough before they would sell it, but it'd be assuring to know if any others who have had the same case have experienced anything relating to those reports.

It's eases my mind to know that there's only a handful of reports

IIRC the problem was with the PREMIUM Hori protectors.

Of all things, you'd believe this one wouldn't fail. :lol

Mine is still holding up with about five or six hours of docked Zelda and showing no signs of wear. It was always a temporary fix until I got a tempered glass one though.

TheFuzz

Yeah, I didn't hear too many reports about it aside what was mentioned from this thread. I have the official Hori screen protector, so methinks it should have been tested well enough before they would sell it, but it'd be assuring to know if any others who have had the same case have experienced anything relating to those reports.

It's eases my mind to know that there's only a handful of reports

I could be wrong but I heard it was the Hori protector that was having the melting issue, not the amfilm one. The Reddit post I saw specifically cited that the Amfilm had no such issue.

lionpants

Any impressions on the official screen protector that comes with the OEM carry case?
It went on perfectly for me. I tried one from BestBuy (some third party company) and it was the exact same size of the screen which was bad because it never sealed properly around the edges.

The OEM one is perfect, it's a bit smaller than the screen itself, like a couple millimetres.

Air

Banned
I could be wrong but I heard it was the Hori protector that was having the melting issue, not the amfilm one. The Reddit post I saw specifically cited that the Amfilm had no such issue.

Hmmm. Thanks. I'll be careful for now. The AM film tempered glass protector isn't in stock on amazon, but if my protector shows signs of melting I'll buy the AMfilm one when it gets restocked.

TheFuzz

Hmmm. Thanks. I'll be careful for now. The AM film tempered glass protector isn't in stock on amazon, but if my protector shows signs of melting I'll buy the AMfilm one when it gets restocked.

I wouldn't worry too much, and I could be wrong. The amazon reviews for amfilm are glowing, and everything I've seen has said it's the one to get. You're likely fine, though.

I'm not a fan of screen protectors so I'm rolling the dice on this one. Hopefully with a good travel case I won't experience any issues, a strategy that has served me well in the past with systems like the Vita.

Chopini

Neo Member
And, omg #yellowgate! Which screen would you rather have? :)

cJcnLr7.jpg

Here is mine comparing with my iPhone. My iPhone pretty match my calibrated macbook screen. I was in the same situation, I did choose the top one in your picture. Camera auto white balance sometime make it harder to judge. Mine already scratched by the dock, thankfully on screen protector.

tpaytwT.jpg

I bought 4 switches for myself and other three friend upon inspection one of four have yellow screen ( I don't have my hand on their unit now ). So I decide to kept the cooler one for myself since all other three have same temp. I'm not sure how yellow I saw but I think it was a lot more yellow than my iPhone so I did not like it at the time. Right now I'm not sure, I think my switch is little too blue it would be nice if it is warmer and should be closer to calibrated screen. Not to mention creaky joycon problem I currently have.

Judging from your picture, it is hard to say. I would say try playing Zelda on both and decide which are better or if you have a calibrated screen you can compare them.

Gaz_RB

This is what I found as well. Thanks for documenting it.

My thoughts are this might be a manufacturing thing. Maybe different types of plastic screens were used for different batches. Scratches are definitely not the case across the board.

SRTtoZ

Good shit Poppy! It makes me feel better about my Switch as I have yet to get a scratch but I'm being super super careful when docking it. All I have are those smudges at the bottom but I'm sure those come off and are from the rubber inside.

Madness

I switched out my DS Lite 5 times before I got one without yellow tint. Hate that it is still a thing. How hard for Nintendo to source from the same manufacturer for all or at least do some QA testing. A cooler/whiter screen always better than these yellow ones.

maxcriden

I seem to have one small scratch on either side of the bottom of my bezel. Are these the scratches people are talking about? It seems impossible to avoid with my Switch, but at least they aren't on the screen itself (I'm counting the bezel as different from the screen here). Or are people getting scratches on the screen itself...?

Also, reposting appleofenlightment's post for a new page:

My first post at Neogaf! I've broken radio silence after three years because of the infuriating misinterpretations in this thread.

Sticking felt / cushioning to the inside of the dock will INCREASE the potential for scratching the screen:

1. Over time, felt and textile materials can easily attract and hold dust particles. Tiny particles of dust can on a micro level be abrasive, sand like and scratch the screen.

2. Cushioning the inside of the dock with textile material will make the space in the dock tighter for Switch to fit inside, and thus magnifying the chances of scratching.

Having spent a few years working closely with industrial designers, I would say that Nintendo's decision not to include soft material in the dock is absolutely right -- even though this may at first seem unintuitive. As for the plastic of the dock scratching the screen, I doubt it and I'm sure this has been rigorously tested by Nintendo.

gogojira

Mine has a small scratch on the left side. I'm careful with lifting and removing it. I don't want attention, but saying it's pretty much impossible to scratch is laughable. It's like when people report massive frame dips in a game, you've always got someone who swears it runs at 120 fps at all times for them.

Anyways, it'll scratch.

Poppyseed

Mine has a small scratch on the left side. I'm careful with lifting and removing it. I don't want attention, but saying it's pretty much impossible to scratch is laughable. It's like when people report massive frame dips in a game, you've always got someone who swears it runs at 120 fps at all times for them.

Anyways, it'll scratch.

No, it's not the same. You may have a scratch on the left side, but how did it get there? Do you know for sure? I'm actually one of those people who say X and Y happens, and people will say NO IT DOESN'T, until they realize they're wrong.

Like those who say the JoyCon are quiet (lol) when rumbling, or that their JoyCon don't rumble for a millisecond when the Switch comes out of sleep.

Anyway, again - saying it'll scratch is false. It might scratch, but it certainly isn't guaranteed. I basically recreated 100 instances (if not more) of putting the Switch in and taking it out. How many years of gaming is that in a matter of minutes?

I wonder, though, if some docks, - where those two plastic pieces meet near the bottom - are SHARP. I wonder if that's causing it for some people? At the same time, if I can run car keys over the screen without issue, how is plastic doing it unless there's extreme pressure.

We'll get to the bottom of it one of these days...

Glix

For reference i am using the protector that came with the red plastic games case and a cloth. Was a rip off at $10 but everything else is sold out and i needes to stop feeling so much anxiety when I dock

gogojira

I only just was able to watch your videos. Fucking hell, I was cringing just watching it but you're right; yours appears to be scratch free. I damn sure didn't get extreme on it, either.

I've rarely used it mobile. I know when it's been docked and undocked. The scratch in the side isn't terrible. If I would do what you just did, I bet I would scratch the fuck out of my Switch. I can post a picture later.

I wonder, though, if some docks, - where those two plastic pieces meet near the bottom - are SHARP. I wonder if that's causing it for some people? At the same time, if I can run car keys over the screen without issue, how is plastic doing it unless there's extreme pressure.

We'll get to the bottom of it one of these days...

This would be my guess. Some molding line or extra bit of plastic on some that is scratching the screen. Bent docks probably have little to do with it.

Poppyseed

I only just was able to watch your videos. Fucking hell, I was cringing just watching it but you're right; yours appears to be scratch free. I damn sure didn't get extreme on it, either.

I've rarely used it mobile. I know when it's been docked and undocked. The scratch in the side isn't terrible. If I would do what you just did, I bet I would scratch the fuck out of my Switch. I can post a picture later.

Hah, it made ME cringe watching them, lol. Sure, post a picture!

gogojira

Hah, it made ME cringe watching them, lol. Sure, post a picture!

I'll snap a shot later when I'm home. I'll get over it and it's nothing drastic, but it hurts my soul that it's there at all, lol. And I'm worried about it down the line, too.

I grabbed a USB-C female to male cable to leave it out of the dock. I'm sure it's in the thread, but will that work?

thanat0s

Neo Member
I'm just here waiting for a glass screen protector to be in stock on amazon. Most seem to not be prime eligible. Scared my unit will scuff before it arrives.

enbred

Banned

I took my Switch, and slammed it in and out of the dock (bear in mind this is a dock that's absolutely leaning in towards the back, like so many are).

Video here:

This thing is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch. I don't know how you guys are doing it. I probably slammed the Switch in 100 times or more in the course of testing. I even SQUEEZED the dock while doing it. (The smudge you see is from the rubber pad, and wipes right off).

So what's going on here?

Also, I even ran my VW car key over the screen, and it didn't scratch the screen. I wasn't going to press super HARD, but you can definitely hear the scraping sounds. No scratches, not even hairline ones.

Video here:

I have a second dock that I placed a book in to to straighten the opening, and - yes - it definitely straightens it to a noticeable degree, but since I did the bulk of my testing on the crooked one, I don't see this as the issue.

The only thing that results from slamming the Switch in and out of the dock - is a smudge on the screen from the rubber pad, that wipes off - even with a dry/non-oily finger.

So, take that as you will, but you do NOT need a screen protector for the Switch, and the dock - in my experience - is incredibly unlikely to scratch the screen.

The only way I can see the dock scratching the screen is if there's some particle of grit that gets stuck on the rubber pad at the bottom, but that would be an extreme case.

I of course believe people are scratching their Switch consoles, but it boggles my mind how it's happening.

Anyway, this relaxes me a ton, and reminds me a good deal of the PS Vita screen. Yep, people were scratching those, too, but I haven't put a scratch on mine and it's held up super well (unlike the PSP screen, which was a scratch MAGNET and terribly non-durable).

Thanks for this. But there seems to be a bubble or something on the bottom bezel of your Switch, mostly visible in the second video. What's that from?

nullpoynter

Video here:

So what's going on here?

Video here:

As an aside, here's the movement difference between the straightened dock and a dock out of the box...

Vido here:

https://db.tt/7NkQbeN9Yq
Thanks for having the balls to abuse your Switch a little to help the rest of us relax a little. I know your videos have definitely caused me not to worry as much. Also sorry that you have to deal with some trolls attacking you. Anyway, just wanted you to know that there is another person out there that appreciates your investigative work :) Hopefully we do eventually discover the true cause for the scratches that some do experience.

mindatlarge

Just received and installed my amFilm glass screen protector off of Amazon. I'm usually terrible, I mean terrible at these sort of things, but this was a pretty easy application and zero bubbles. I would recommend using the alcohol wipes you get with it as well to remove any oils unseen to your eye that may be on your screen. I have some very slight smudges under the protector where apparently I missed some oils from my skin. But yeah, it looks pretty damn good and seems really high quality, hardly looks like you are even rocking a screen protector.

Top Bottom