• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

So basically what they're delivering is nothing like 3.0, no Microtech, Hurston or Crusader because Behaviour aren't working for them and from the monthly report no one is working on the landing zones.

It's basically the 2.7 interstitial patch people predicted, a bait and switch. They gave the game away when they said Mining was now coming in 3.0, and it's not in these patch notes, because this isn't 3.0. Actual real 3.0 isn't even coming until well into 2018, and people fall for it and accept it even though it was supposed to be here in 2016. What's hilarious, is 3.0 was originally supposed to be in 2.0 patches in 2015, so they're 3 years behind at this point - the whole length of development for other AAA games, going from concept to release has passed while they battled how to put a single star system in their space game.

Look how dead this thread has been over the last few months, this game is a joke, it's never coming out.

So basically what they're delivering is nothing like 3.0, no Microtech, Hurston or Crusader because Behaviour aren't working for them and from the monthly report no one is working on the landing zones.

I will admit I am a bit disapointed we will not get to see the larger cities of those planets. But they have hired to fill the loss of env artists, so there is that now.

Tales From My Ass 3.0 PTU

Wow. A lot of tinfoil here. Why rename 2.7 to 3.0? The pr hurdle of interstitial patches was fine with the community already. It would have served them better to name it 2.7, and spare the occasional goober in a forum from repeating the same tired production-related guff. And mining was never supposed to be a 3.0 feature, it was bumped up from 3.1 or 3.2 because... reasons? Well, its back to original plan, I suppose. And the whole 2.0 2015... lol. Someone else here will have the patience to explain it a lot better. But to put it into perspective: imagine if Naughty Dog 2006 had to produce Uncharted 4, from nothing. I think you can guesstimate how that would go. If not, the GDC vault has some good videos on how peoduction is structured.

Look how dead this thread has been over the last few months, this game is a joke, it's never coming out.

It is good then you can make it livelier with you bianual grousing and speculation. Ask for an official refund, and dedicate yourself to something more worthwile. We were having a placid time here.

Good to know. Now I can finally fall asleep as I have been staying awake this whole time waiting for release!

Female marine:
Female_medium_marine.jpg

Female_light_marine.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

It's basically the 2.7 interstitial patch people predicted, a bait and switch. They gave the game away when they said Mining was now coming in 3.0, and it's not in these patch notes, because this isn't 3.0. Actual real 3.0 isn't even coming until well into 2018, and people fall for it and accept it even though it was supposed to be here in 2016. What's hilarious, is 3.0 was originally supposed to be in 2.0 patches in 2015, so they're 3 years behind at this point - the whole length of development for other AAA games, going from concept to release has passed while they battled how to put a single star system in their space game.

did you not get the email

because there was an email

Chris Roberts said:
The next Release is a major milestone for us, as it will be the first time the community will get to experience the Planetary Tech in a Live build. Like the Star Citizen Alpha numbering change from 1.3 to 2.0 for the move to Large World, with its 64-bit precision and Local Grid physics tech, that allows us to deliver a game of our detail at a solar system scale, 3.0 represents a giant jump in gameplay potential from the code in the 2.x branch. For a start, it will contain about nine months of our main development branch beyond 2.6.x as well as almost two years of Planetary Tech development that the Frankfurt Engine team embarked on in the last half of 2015. The Planetary Tech opens up a whole new landscape (pun intended) for adventure. In the same way that Large World and Physics Grids created new possibilities in gameplay by allowing players to go from walking around a space station to boarding a ship, flying it hundreds of thousands of kilometers, exiting their pilot seat, walking to an airlock, opening it and EVAing over to a derelict station, all from the same point of view, the Planetary Tech takes it one massive leap further. When you see a Planet or Moon, you will be able to fly there, land and explore on foot, or from your ship or a ground vehicle you have brought with you. All seamlessly, all with the incredible first person detail that Star Citizen is known for. With this we are delivering something that goes way beyond the initial promises and conception of Star Citizen; we will be simulating a First person Universe with almost no limits. It’s a great illustration of how with the support of a Community as great as Star Citizen’s anything is possible.

With the debut of 3.0 at the end of June we’re starting with the three Moons around Crusader; Cellin, Yela and Daymar. In addition, we’re hoping to also get the Planet-like Asteroid Delamar and its landing zone Levski in as a “Stretch” goal. Then as we move through the year the universe will expand to include all the main landing zones for Stanton. We had originally hoped to deliver most of the Stanton Landing Zones with the first release of Planetary Tech, but that proved optimistic once the talented team at Behaviour, who had built ArcCorp, Levski, Grim HEX and had begun work on the remaining landing zones of Stanton, moved off Star Citizen and onto another Behaviour project in December. We had been steadily shifting our reliance away from external resources and we felt it would be unfair to block them from the opportunity to work on their own game. Unfortunately, replacing an Environment team of over 20 is no small task, which has set back the progress we had originally planned to make on the landing zones of Stanton. As of today, we have just abut replaced the team with internal hires and we are continuing to hire additional environment artists as fast as we can find ones that meet our quality bar. The Environment Team is now some 37 artists strong, so long term we feel we are better situated to deliver the vast amount of locations that Star Citizen and Squadron 42 needs.

Rather than make everyone wait for the landing zones to all be completed we decided the best course of action would be to get the Planetary Tech and the other improvements in everyone’s hands as soon as possible. Our goal for 3.0 is to again do what we found so valuable when building Arena Commander: involve the community as soon as possible. More than any other process, it is YOUR feedback that helps further Star Citizen’s development… which means that we need you on our moons with this next release. The worlds we’re creating are massive, and giant planets mean we need a lot of eyes (and mice, keyboards and flight sticks) making sure they’re up to par. How big do I mean? It takes about four and half hours to circumnavigate the Cellin in a Dragonfly at full afterburn or twelve and half days of walking! If every single person registered through RSI today stood on the same moon at the same distance, they wouldn’t even see each other. There’s a lot to explore and a LOT to test in this massive step forward for Star Citizen.

we're still getting 3.0 with its jump to landing on procedurally created planetoids, we just aren't getting the main planets' landing zones because Behavior wanted to make their own game and CIG had to hire up internally.

also, this thread is slow because a lot of people here talk on Discord to get away from toxic people like you.

elyetis

we just aren't getting the main planets' landing zones because Behavior wanted to make their own game and CIG had to hire up internally.
It's clearly part of the reason, on the other hand they only moved into another project in December so that part was also late compared to their original estimate anyway, which is quite frightening when you think of all the other landing zone the game will need after that.

That being said what will make or break 3.0 for most people is probably the network rework... let's hope it will be worth the wait.

While we won't get planets until 3.1+ we'll still get A LOT of the core functionality this game has been missing.

A lot of it will still be missing when the patch releases. Netcode improvements might not even make it to release. They're not finished with 1 star system either.. 99 left to go. This is patch 2.7 with additions.

Advanced AI isn't in the game yet.

I remember saying that the timetable last year was nowhere close to realistic but I never thought they'd be this far behind. Makes me wonder what state Squadron 42 is in. To top things off when they first announced its potential release they made no mention of landing zones missing 3.0 release entirely. How could they say 3.0 was all good last year when development of the landing zones stopped? Does anyone see that as a red flag here?

A lot of it will still be missing when the patch releases. Netcode improvements might not even make it to release. They're not finished with 1 star system either.. 99 left to go. This is patch 2.7 with additions.

I remember saying that the timetable last year was nowhere close to realistic but I never thought they'd be this far behind. Makes me wonder what state Squadron 42 is in. To top things off when they first announced its potential release they made no mention of the potential for landing zones to miss the 3.0 release entirely. How could they say 3.0 was all good last year when development of the landing zones stopped? Does anyone see that as a red flag here?

Not sure why I should bother but I will.

Not sure what you are looking at but both charts show AI subsumption (mission generation) to be finished a month before 3.0 release. There looks like there will be additional AI outside of the task givers and job system but that was to be expected.

The mechanics promised is scheduled to make it. There is a difference between content not making it and the mechanics. The most important thing is for the mechanics and systems to be in place so they can deal with any issues that arise. Considering content is procedural and can be iterated on very quickly as they have shown in multiple videos that shouldn't be a point of concern for anyone who has been paying attention.

You are also attributing 3.0 being all good but you lack specific quotes or timelines. The last earnest discussions about 3.0 were months before year end, so things that happened at the last month of the year simply were not addressed. They may not have nailed down plan therefore it is a horrible idea to provide that type of information without giving a solid answer about what they are going to do about it. But if it makes you happy, please continue on with your flag waving.

iHaunter

I remember saying that the timetable last year was nowhere close to realistic but I never thought they'd be this far behind. Makes me wonder what state Squadron 42 is in. To top things off when they first announced its potential release they made no mention of landing zones missing 3.0 release entirely. How could they say 3.0 was all good last year when development of the landing zones stopped? Does anyone see that as a red flag here?

...Did you even bother looking at the entire schedule?

Edit: The sub has been less busy because of the ridiculously negative posts. There's a line between raw-pessimism and criticism. I venture most of the team is working on SQ42 since it's delayed causing the PU stuff to be delayed further. I HOPE that once it is released, they hold off on Episode II and focus more on the PU to catch up.

NuMiQ

Neo Member
Seems we're getting a look at the Banu in tonights ATV, looking forward to it.
ATV's been really great after the changes made in the new year and I'm betting it'll only get better in the lead up to 3.0. Here's to hoping :)

Just curious and not trying to start shit with anybody in the star citizen community or shit on the game itself. Im just curious if star citizen was the game that when it was originally pitched for crowd funding they advertised the fact that star citizen would be a PC game....i remember some "i am a pc gamer" trailer or something but im not sure if that was star citizen. Anyhoo the game looks amazing but if one of the original pitches was that this game was too powerful/exhaustive for consoles and that statement was made several years ago now (if im correct in my assumption that star citizen produced the original i am pc gamer trailer or w.e. it was im thinking about) would that statement still ring true for consoles like xb scorpio. Not to suggest that it would ever get ported, im just curious if we'll see games with the visual fidelity of star citizen on next gen(ish) platforms.

KKRT00

Just curious and not trying to start shit with anybody in the star citizen community or shit on the game itself. Im just curious if star citizen was the game that when it was originally pitched for crowd funding they advertised the fact that star citizen would be a PC game....i remember some "i am a pc gamer" trailer or something but im not sure if that was star citizen. Anyhoo the game looks amazing but if one of the original pitches was that this game was too powerful/exhaustive for consoles and that statement was made several years ago now (if im correct in my assumption that star citizen produced the original i am pc gamer trailer or w.e. it was im thinking about) would that statement still ring true for consoles like xb scorpio. Not to suggest that it would ever get ported, im just curious if we'll see games with the visual fidelity of star citizen on next gen(ish) platforms.

Its still true due to CPUs being quite crappy in Scorpio and Pro, GPUs in both consoles are fine for this game.

Fist they have to finish the game. Then they can think about porting.

That might still take a while. Probably until PS5/Xbox 4 hit the market.

Zalusithix

Link/pic? I don't think I've seen the original.

I assume we're talking about the BMM here, in which case it originally was reversed from the current design.
BMM.jpg

The BMM has gone through a bunch of iterations even past the front/back flip. Much like the 890 Jump, you can find concept images with subtle differences.

Newboi

Personally, I really enjoy hearing about updates on Star Citizen and input from fans and supporters who want to see it succeed. I think it stinks that folks have to take their discussion elsewhere due to drive by posts. I understand criticism is necessary, but you give criticism in order to promote a positive change or influence. If the soul purpose is just to vent or to stir up controversy due to your personal anger or mistrust, then it's no longer criticism.

Anyway, I'm not a backer of Star Citizen, but I definitely try to keep up with project's development when I can because their technology and production pipeline evolution is incredible cool to hear and learn about.

Zalusithix

Oop, my bad. I was talking about this bad boy:

What is the name of that ^
That's the Banu Defender that just hit concept sale, so there's no previous information to compare to. All we knew before this concept sale was that it existed as the Banu Minuteman and had the purpose of defending the BMM. No fine details or concept art.

Top Bottom