• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Obama returns to public life next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

lush

Barack Obama’s extended post-presidential vacation is about to end. After spending weeks in French Polynesia — including time on the yacht of the movie mogul David Geffen along with Bruce Springsteen, Tom Hanks and Oprah Winfrey — Mr. Obama will return to Chicago on Monday for his first public event as a former president.

His self-imposed silence since Inauguration Day will end with a series of events over the next four weeks. A Monday town hall-style meeting with students at the University of Chicago will be followed by an awards ceremony in Boston; a series of public remarks as well as private paid speeches in the United States and Europe; and an appearance at the Brandenburg Gate in Germany with Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Source:https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/21/us/politics/barack-obama-post-presidential-events.html

Also

No tickets remain for distribution to the general public, but the event will be televised. Former first lady Michelle Obama is not expected to accompany her husband on the trip, Lewis said.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...a-chicago-speech-met-0421-20170421-story.html

The return...

G6Wuf9t.gif

But it's reported he's staying away from directly calling out President Trump, I actually feel this plays into Trump quite a bit, gives him an adversary and the media will eat up the storyline right out of the palm of his hands

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
But it's reported he's staying away from directly calling out President Trump, I actually feel this plays into Trump quite a bit, gives him an adversary and the media will eat up the storyline right out of the palm of his hands

He can just call him out in vague terms. Warn about the dangers of increased nationalism, Xenophobia, deregulation, cronyism, excessive tanning, stuff like that.

Ogodei

Pretty much. He has to stay far back from calling out Trump directly even if he can hit on other issues, like voter suppression or white nationalism. Otherwise Obama sucks the oxygen out of the room on the left and rallies the Right who remember their old common enemy and stop bickering amongst themselves.

Coming out swinging would be the worst thing for him to do, now.

Not like, say, October where it could've saved the world. But whatever.

alternade

I hope all his Chaos Emeralds are fully charged and he has at least 200 rings.

Please lay the vocal smack down on our new fucking idiot piece of garbage "president"!!

everyone knows that Trump's an idiot, he doesn't need to go all aggressive on him

just try to unite the DNC, fight gerrymandering and lead a coalition for the midterms

everyone knows that Trump's an idiot, he doesn't need to go all aggressive on him

just try to unite the DNC, fight gerrymandering and lead a coalition for the midterms

Making an impact vs. Gerrymandering is so much more important than easy and enjoyable verbal smackdowns he could give to Trump.

He's not gonna lead any kind of resistance movement. That's a recipe for assassination.

He's still going to have his secret service team with him, taking it to that extreme doesn't really advance anything

and this clamoring for Obama to talk just shows how pathetically weak the democrat political scene is, Obama ain't going to run again in 2020 folks, and Clinton proved that name dropping him everyday isn't going to help

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
He's not gonna lead any kind of resistance movement. That's a recipe for assassination.

lol

He made it 8 years as the first black president in this shit ass country without any attempt on his life. Pretty weird thing to say.

Did you not see his last speech as president at McCormick Place in Chicago?

If you expect him to come out firing on all cylinders against Trump, you obviously havent been paying attention to him. He's going to be diplomatic and try to push the get out and change message. We can do this, etc etc.

BasicMath

God, I wish he'd just stay away like Hillary and Bush. Well, more like Bush than Hillary but you get the idea. Look into painting or something, Barry. Your existence just holds back the Democratic party like Hillary.

I don't want to vote for Trump. But if that's what it takes to get rid of Obama then so be it. It worked great for Hillary so it should work for Obama.

Boke1879

God, I wish he'd just stay away like Hillary and Bush. Well, more like Bush than Hillary but you get the idea. Look into painting or something, Barry. Your existence just holds back the Democratic party like Hillary.

I don't want to vote for Trump. But if that's what it takes to get rid of Obama then so be it. It worked great for Hillary so it should work for Obama.

LMAOOOOOO

Sephzilla

giphy.gif

This is the reason Berniacs lost the primary by millions of votes.

Blader

Obama is popular with a majority of Americans, and massively so within the Democratic Party.

Obama is never running for president again, so if Barack Obama maintaining a public profile is enough to push you to the right in elections, you may as well resign to voting a Republican for president for the rest of his or your life.

Dynomutt

Barack you did your work. Don't let them lure you back to lay blame like they did for Hilary. Nothing is owed enjoy your time with that fine woman known as Michelle.

louiedog

So ~3 months off so far this year. It's a big deficit, but let's see if Trump can rack up more vacation days by the end of the year.

Boke1879

Barack you did your work. Don't let them lure you back to lay blame like they did for Hilary. Nothing is owed enjoy your time with that fine woman known as Michelle.

This is more than likely what Obama wants to. The main clearly wants to stay involved and that's his right. It also helps he's pretty damn popular too.

We are sooooooo f***ed when it comes to 2018 and 2020.

The purity tests shall continue until the enthusiasm improves!

The reasoning is also just very stupid

I know, you can't logic a poster out of a position they didn't logic themselves into. Ironically, it's the same sort of 'gut-level commonsense' that was exemplified by the Bush II administration.

I should just ignore this particular troll.

Dynomutt

This is more than likely what Obama wants to. The main clearly wants to stay involved and that's his right. It also helps he's pretty damn popular too.

Democrats act like the Cavs when LeBron is not in the game. They don't know what the fuck to do without Obama.

Obama like...
lebron-james-wink.gif

It is, right after the election he said he was fired up and that after a vacation he'd be jumping right back in.

Those private speaking engagements must pay a pretty penny. Come and speak to your 'pathetic' Democratic worms and stack major cash in the process. Doesn't sound like such a bad gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom